PDA

View Full Version : En bloc sales partly to blame for 'vanishing' Singapore

mr funny
27-02-09, 14:41
http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_343398.html

February 27, 2009 Friday

En bloc sales partly to blame for 'vanishing' Singapore

I REFER to Mr Vincent Paul Carthigasu's lament on Tuesday, 'Where did you go, my Singapore of old?', about the eradication of 'almost everything' in Singapore in the name of 'change and development'. He believes 'Singapore has lost much of its soul' in its ongoing policy of redevelopment.

Allow me to go a little further in asserting that for many, Singapore has indeed lost its soul to 'progress' in recent years. To thousands of Singaporeans who have been uprooted from their condominiums and other strata-titled properties, many of which are freehold, their grief at losing their homes against their will via collective sales, and the consequent trauma of relocating to new homes, are unnerving.

Concomitant is the acrimony of court cases and blatant vandalism, which may threaten the 'kampung spirit' built up so arduously over the years.

Perhaps the authorities, during this lull in the property market, should revise the rules on future collective sales. One area they should look into is the physical condition of a development, regardless of its age. It is heart-rending to see an 'old' development in good condition demolished to make way for a new development.

Han Soon Juan

isaaclim
27-02-09, 18:09
What a comment from an en bloc losser.

A property value is highly depend on its location. Age maybe a factor but definitely not no.1

En Bloc is a business deal. Not redevelopment plan from govt.!!!

scott7777
28-02-09, 11:51
You're right, it's a business deal. And, as such, all parties affected by the deal must approve, otherwise no deal. So 100% owner approval, or no deal.

The fact that en bloc requires less than 100% is a government measure, reflecting the government's redevelopment policy.

isaaclim
28-02-09, 17:35
You're right, it's a business deal. And, as such, all parties affected by the deal must approve, otherwise no deal. So 100% owner approval, or no deal.

The fact that en bloc requires less than 100% is a government measure, reflecting the government's redevelopment policy.

Dude, you are completely wrong! If business deal that own by multiple owner require 100% agreement, no deal will succeed.

In general, we only need 2/3 majority to accept a proposal. A proposal to enbloc a said property. Govt raise this level to protect minority.

scott7777
28-02-09, 23:56
hi,

You miss the point which is not about the success or failure of a deal.

isaaclim
01-03-09, 07:17
hi,

You miss the point which is not about the success or failure of a deal.

Please enlighten me.

lkwangli
01-03-09, 11:26
IMHO, the point raised by the newspaper writer is a spiritual concern, not a financial one -- Mark 8:36 comes to mind.