PDA

View Full Version : Advise plse - How to tell property is on sewerage land?

new2mondrian
04-07-09, 01:09
A good friend of mine just paid 1% option for a landed semi-detached, but within the land there are 2 large manholes covered with metallic plates. Is this a sewerage land? Can anyone advise plse? Thanks!

Geylang OKT
04-07-09, 03:17
Hee Hee Hee... I have posted on this b4... go check out the D13 thread :)

Not to sound mean or unkind, but with more manholes uncovered, it would mean the house is full of shit :D

new2mondrian
04-07-09, 19:26
Hee Hee Hee... I have posted on this b4... go check out the D13 thread :)

Not to sound mean or unkind, but with more manholes uncovered, it would mean the house is full of shit :D

I just found your posting... but erm, how to tell? Is it that the presence of a manhole (or 2) in your property means this is sewage land? Is there any document which proves that this is so??!!!

If sewage land, does this mean that the owner cannot build higher than a certain height since more floors = deeper piling = more chance of hitting shit? :confused: And it there some drawing from PUB as to where the sewer pipes are such that the owner knows where to avoid digging????

The agent and owner did not disclose the existence of the 2 manholes in the garden, it was only after my friend paid the option monies, went down to view the place again that he discovered 2 manholes in the garden... :mad:

Geylang OKT
04-07-09, 21:19
I just found your posting... but erm, how to tell? Is it that the presence of a manhole (or 2) in your property means this is sewage land? Is there any document which proves that this is so??!!!

If sewage land, does this mean that the owner cannot build higher than a certain height since more floors = deeper piling = more chance of hitting shit? :confused: And it there some drawing from PUB as to where the sewer pipes are such that the owner knows where to avoid digging????

The agent and owner did not disclose the existence of the 2 manholes in the garden, it was only after my friend paid the option monies, went down to view the place again that he discovered 2 manholes in the garden... :mad:

Unfortunately for property purchases, it is caveat emptor, or buyer beware, meaning if the buyer did not ask specifically about the sewage manholes, the seller and agent is not obliged to disclose the information.

The height restriction depends on your plot ratio, which is usually 1.4 for landed properties. So your land area x plot ratio would be your max built-in area.

If the property has several manholes, than your friend is really in deep shit... as it would mean all the surrounding properties are channeling from their private sewage pipe all the shit to the public sewage pipe.... which is certainly in the vicinity of your friend's property.

You may want to use INLIS to check if it is possible to get the info required. :D

new2mondrian
05-07-09, 18:53
Unfortunately for property purchases, it is caveat emptor, or buyer beware, meaning if the buyer did not ask specifically about the sewage manholes, the seller and agent is not obliged to disclose the information.

The height restriction depends on your plot ratio, which is usually 1.4 for landed properties. So your land area x plot ratio would be your max built-in area.

If the property has several manholes, than your friend is really in deep shit... as it would mean all the surrounding properties are channeling from their private sewage pipe all the shit to the public sewage pipe.... which is certainly in the vicinity of your friend's property.

You may want to use INLIS to check if it is possible to get the info required. :D

Thanks very much. :)

We went down to see. Indeed there are 2 manholes, one covered by a square metallic plate while the other by a circular metallic plate. Not sure if there is a difference between the 2. But anyway, since 5% (and not 1%) option fee has been exercised and paid, guess my friend has to live with it.

Caveat emptor indeed. =p

cosyhome
06-07-09, 17:34
I have some good news for you that this may not be a "shit" hole. The 2 manholes should have a word "IC" on them and that will mean a inspection chamber to check on the sewage and not necessary mean all the "shit" channels here. Check with PUB to be sure, but I'm quite positive that this is not what you think it is.
:)

Geylang OKT
06-07-09, 21:43
Yes please do check and let us know. Hopefully your friend would be pleasantly surprised on the positive side. On the other hand, you can always ask your friend to query the seller as well. No harm asking anyways :D

jc
07-07-09, 23:04
I have some good news for you that this may not be a "shit" hole. The 2 manholes should have a word "IC" on them and that will mean a inspection chamber to check on the sewage and not necessary mean all the "shit" channels here. Check with PUB to be sure, but I'm quite positive that this is not what you think it is.
:)

I agree. All landed hses has these kind of manholes, have visted some n noticed 1 or 2 around. It would be strange if there is none :)

new2mondrian
08-07-09, 09:12
Actually I have been asking around those friends and colleagues of mine who have landed property. It seems like quite a number (5 out of 8) of them have some form of manholes in their property, and 2 of them have even built over it such that it is no longer visible nor accessible. Seems like this is quite common indeed.

The 2 manholes on my friend's semi-d property did not have "IS" on their plates. But the metal plates really look old and corroded. So it might have been there, but it's now impossible to tell. My friend is now thinking of building a BBQ pit over them.

The point on sewerage land is pretty interesting though. Is there a separate classification for sewerage land? We went through INLIS but don't seem to find anything. The ex-owner (in his 70s) doesn't know anything. He said when he bought that place 30 years ago, the holes were there all along but he never questioned their existence.

pweesng
23-09-09, 15:51
if these are indeed sewage holes, and you cannot live with it, you can actually apply to PUB for sewage diversion. It can be done, but, it will cost, and it has to be diverted to a efficient place.

I have done it before in a previous house i was building

DarthRevan
11-10-09, 23:29
Hi, I'm asking a newbie question..can the sewerage hole be cemented by ourself?

new2mondrian
12-10-09, 11:14
if these are indeed sewage holes, and you cannot live with it, you can actually apply to PUB for sewage diversion. It can be done, but, it will cost, and it has to be diverted to a efficient place.

I have done it before in a previous house i was building

Diverting of sewerage holes is a VERY expensive thing to do! =) And definitely cannot cement it up. IF any chokage happens, one needs to open the sewage hole for inspection.

It is best to determine that one is comfortable with the position of the sewerage hole(s) before buying a landed property. my 2 cents.

sealover
12-10-09, 11:48
A good friend of mine just paid 1% option for a landed semi-detached, but within the land there are 2 large manholes covered with metallic plates. Is this a sewerage land? Can anyone advise plse? Thanks!

Those who never live in landed thought "dirty".

I live in landed and have done A&A twice on it. The two manholes you mentioned are the inspection chambers for the underground sewage which is very typical for semi-D ( in fact almost all ) and usually very clean as it has gradient to allow the waste flowing to the main public sewage.

You cannot build any concrete structure to conceal it but any movable structure/items are allowed.

I always treat that as a bonus to landed owners, we can use it as hide out and bomb shelter during war;)

august
13-10-09, 20:48
I always treat that as a bonus to landed owners, we can use it as hide out and bomb shelter during war;)

wouldn't it be really smelly to hide in?? maybe the smell will kill u first before the enemy does :eek:

proud owner
15-10-09, 01:02
wouldn't it be really smelly to hide in?? maybe the smell will kill u first before the enemy does :eek:

remember the movie Schindler"s List ?

a boy ran and hid in the sewage .. and he lived till today .. while the rest were sent to gas chamber