PDA

View Full Version : Landed homes the way to go

mr funny
24-09-09, 18:04
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/supplement/story/0,4574,351555,00.html?

Published September 24, 2009

Landed homes the way to go

Buyers took advantage of lower prices, which have corrected by some 20 to 30% from the peak, and low interest rates to buy their dream landed homes

By GRACE NG

A HOME these days has become more of a lifestyle statement and status symbol than just a roof over one's head. And what could answer both aspirations better than a plot of freehold land where the owner can dictate every last detail in a custom built house?

So is it too late to go shopping for a landed property today? Let's look at how the market has been performing this year.

The landed market has seen a recovery in transactions, with the turning point in March this year. After hitting a low in February, when only 73 units changed hands, March saw 123 units done. This figure then increased by leaps and bounds, from 247 units in May to 331 units in June and 320 in July.

Buyers took advantage of lower prices, which have corrected by some 20 to 30 per cent from the peak, and low interest rates to buy their dream landed homes. With the recovery in volumes, is a price recovery in sight?

Landed home prices had peaked between late 2007 and the first part of 2008 before trending down as the sub-prime debacle hit.

It saw a low between January and March this year but with the recovery of the stock market, sentiment improved and landed home prices began to pick up in April.

Despite the upward trend, prices as at July were still some 11 per cent below the previous peak. The only exception is detached houses, whose prices are close to the 2007 peak. We look at some of the reasons behind the demand for landed homes.

# Landed properties are seen as value for money compared to non- landed units: A landed property, when compared to a condominium in the primary market, appears better value for money. The former has a bigger built-up area, in addition to a car porch and a garden.

If one buys a typical landed terrace house for, say, $1.28 million and spends $300,000 on renovation, the total cost is about $1.6 million. This works out to about $640 per sq ft, assuming a built-up area of 2,500 sq ft. The terrace house is likely to be freehold or with a 999-year tenure, and have four to five bedrooms.

For the same price, a buyer may be able to get just a 1,300 sq ft three-bedroom leasehold condominium in the primary market. This can be seen from the recent launch of Centro, a condominium in Ang Mo Kio, with prices averaging around $1,200 per sq ft (psf).

# No maintenance charges: The owner of a landed property does not need to pay maintenance charges as opposed to someone living in a condominium. To make up for the lack of facilities in a landed property, there has been a growing trend of owners incorporating a lap pool within their homes.

# Lower construction cost: Reconstructing a property is more economical today than at the peak in 2007, as construction costs have dropped by 10 to 15 per cent over the past year.

# Custom built: Many home buyers today do not not hesitate to buy an old property, tear it down and build their dream house on the site.

In fact, some owners so enjoy dictating the design and materials for their house that they get very involved in liaising with the architect, contractor and interior designer. The completed project gives the owner an added sense of pride and satisfaction.

# Improved convenience: Landed properties had tended to cluster in estates lacking amenities or public transport. However, with the opening of MRT lines - the East-West, North-South, North-East and the Circle lines - it has become more convenient to commute from many landed housing estates.

Most are just a five- to 15-minute walk to the train station. One can also find food and retail outlets integrated with the MRT station or transportation hub. An example is the upcoming shopping mall 'nex', located above Serangoon MRT station and next to a bus interchange.

The accessibility has made landed properties more desirable and has changed the perception that they are not as conveniently located as apartments.

Is the demand sustainable?

Landed properties are likely to retain their popularity among Singaporeans. However, whether the transaction volume can be sustained will depend on the price expectations set by the sellers.

Despite the recovery in April, transacted volumes and prices are still below the peak. The 320 units transacted in July were about half of the 605 units done during the peak in May 2007.

Prices in the current market are still some 11 per cent (excluding detached houses) off those seen during the peak. For instance, in June this year, the average price of a landed terrace house below 2,500 sq ft was about $697 psf, compared to $796 psf seen during the peak in March 2008.

With the continued economic recovery and improved market sentiment, prices could continue to rise. However, as the economy is not yet out of the woods and wage increases are not expected to be strong, there is a cap on how much buyers can or will pay.

Price increments may slow from the 12-31 per cent registered in the earlier months of the year to a more gradual pace of 5-8 per cent in the next 12 months.

The writer is deputy managing director (agency and business services), Colliers International

mr funny
24-09-09, 18:05
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2009-09-24/BT_SUPP_PROP0924D.jpg

mr funny
24-09-09, 18:06
http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/supplement/story/0,4574,351554,00.html?

Published September 24, 2009

Some choice locations for landed homes

West Coast/Pasir Panjang

NOT only is this area close to institutions of higher learning, such as The National University of Singapore, it is just 15 to 20 minutes' drive to the CBD.

The opening of shopping malls such as VivoCity and West Coast Plaza has added much vibrancy to this area. The impending new Circle Line, with stations extending to Telok Blangah, Labrador Park, Pasir Panjang, Haw Par Villa, Kent Ridge and one-north, will make the area highly accessible.

Bukit Timah

BUKIT Timah is a popular choice, being close to quite a number of elite schools - Nanyang, Hwa Chong Institution, Methodist Girls' School, Singapore Chinese Girls' School, Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road) and St Joseph's Institution.

The area is currently not served by an MRT line but come 2015, the Downtown Line will have stations at Stevens, Botanic Gardens, Tan Kah Kee, Sixth Avenue, King Albert Park, Beauty World, Hillview and Cashew.

East Coast

THIS area covers Mountbatten, East Coast Road, Tanjong Katong, Siglap and Bedok. Its proximity to the beach and access to town via the East Coast Parkway has made this area popular.

Access to this area will be enhanced by the new Circle Line MRT stations such as Mountbatten and Dakota. In addition, the future Eastern Region Line will run through Tanjong Rhu to Marine Parade estates.

xebay11
24-09-09, 21:05
Yes, landscape it nicely, put a lap pool and jacuzzi in the roof and you have your own private haven, don't know why people pay even more than landed homes these days and cram with several hundred other families at the pool or facilities.

nobrainer32007
24-09-09, 21:45
donno why some people even bother to buy overpriced depreciating assets in places like ang mo kio. Sure regret in 10 years time.
Yes, landscape it nicely, put a lap pool and jacuzzi in the roof and you have your own private haven, don't know why people pay even more than landed homes these days and cram with several hundred other families at the pool or facilities.

joseph85
25-09-09, 00:38
i bought a 99yrs old leasehold landed property at westwood park, cant afford a freehold or 999yrs... may i know did i bet on the wrong option? cant stay in condo because there are deliveryman everyday that need to send stocks to my house. afraid the resident will complain.

jlrx
25-09-09, 00:46

Let me tell you why:

1. Landed homes don't have show flats for people to cram and squeeze. Not exciting.

2. Landed homes don't have reporters taking photos so relatives won't know you are buying. Not glorious.

3. Landed homes don't have shoes outside the show flats for people to smell. Not nice.

4. Landed homes don't have crowded swimming pools to cram and squeeze. Not fun.

5. Landed homes don't have public pool to flaunt your assets. Not glamorous.

6. Landed homes don't have hundred trees. Not shady.

That's why the landed forum is very quiet. Not loud.

jlrx
25-09-09, 00:54
i bought a 99yrs old leasehold landed property at westwood park, cant afford a freehold or 999yrs... may i know did i bet on the wrong option? cant stay in condo because there are deliveryman everyday that need to send stocks to my house. afraid the resident will complain.

There is no right or wrong. Depends on what price you paid.

If around $800k + should be ok ...

KarenK
25-09-09, 09:04
Let me tell you why:

1. Landed homes don't have show flats for people to cram and squeeze. Not exciting.

2. Landed homes don't have reporters taking photos so relatives won't know you are buying. Not glorious.

3. Landed homes don't have shoes outside the show flats for people to smell. Not nice.

4. Landed homes don't have crowded swimming pools to cram and squeeze. Not fun.

5. Landed homes don't have public pool to flaunt your assets. Not glamorous.

6. Landed homes don't have hundred trees. Not shady.

That's why the landed forum is very quiet. Not loud.

there are also pp like me with humble HDB heartlander background who are not comfy or feel safe staying in landed homes :ashamed1:

f'more I am a very lazy person & prefer to pay for someone else to take care of maintenance rather than DIY or have to find contractor etc to do it. I don't even like potted plants, let alone maintain an entire garden. the same goes for my hubby.

we have considered getting an old landed (coz can't afford new landed) that is within our budget. however the reno will cost a bomb & we don't have wads of cash sitting at home for me to spend on reno. reno loans are subject to low limits and the interest rate is expensive. hence at the end of the day, it's better for us to buy a brand new pty where we only need to borrow a housing loan and service the instalments.

there are many more other considerations than $$$ when choosing between a landed pty & a condo apt....

sealover
25-09-09, 09:35
Landed home is ok for adults but not growing up children. Children in condo pick up sports like swimming and other racket games easily but not for landed children.

But for animal lover, landed is the obvious choice.

azeoprop
25-09-09, 17:56
Another bad thing about landed is mosquitos, long time ago stayed in mayflower gardens, kena mosquito bites every night....:doh: , and dunno why pigeons love to make nests outside our toilet window also...

jlrx
25-09-09, 22:55
Another bad thing about landed is mosquitos, long time ago stayed in mayflower gardens, kena mosquito bites every night....:doh: , and dunno why pigeons love to make nests outside our toilet window also...

That's why sealover said you must love animals like mosquitoes and pigeons. The pigeons can also lay eggs for you so you don't have to buy quail eggs. :p

But for animal lover, landed is the obvious choice.

Actually, there are a number of other inconveniences such as heat and staircases.

However, it seems to be the ultimate aspiration of every Singaporean (similar to buying a Mercedes or BMW). You can be sure that almost every doctor with a successful practice will be staying in a landed property; and every local CEO of a public-listed company.

Perhaps it's due to the coolness of having your own postal code? :spliff:

joseph85
26-09-09, 01:16
There is no right or wrong. Depends on what price you paid.

If around $800k + should be ok ...
yea about $800k+ but i really fancy the part where i dun need to pay maintenance and the season parking. i took a look at a few condo. their maintainence easily over 300sgd. i feel is too much for me to pay for as i dun need utilise the condo facilities at all.

teddybear
26-09-09, 01:22
True, but you have to factor in the repairs here and there for landed (very often for old landed as building quality somehow is much poorer than high-rise condo building) and also that there are no facilities for kids to train up swimming, go gym, play tennis etc. There is an additional price to pay for these when living in a condo but cheaper than joining a fitness club or a country club.

yea about $800k+ but i really fancy the part where i dun need to pay maintenance and the season parking. i took a look at a few condo. their maintainence easily over 300sgd. i feel is too much for me to pay for as i dun need utilise the condo facilities at all.

jc
26-09-09, 01:37
True, but you have to factor in the repairs here and there for landed (very often for old landed as building quality somehow is much poorer than high-rise condo building) and also that there are no facilities for kids to train up swimming, go gym, play tennis etc. There is an additional price to pay for these when living in a condo but cheaper than joining a fitness club or a country club.

There is no conclusive evidence to show old landed building quality is poorer. Like it or not, all buildings depreciate over time. It all depends on the level of maintenance. We don't see old Black & White bungalows having more problems than old condos like Bayshore Park.

jc
26-09-09, 01:39

Next time don't buy LH99 landed. It is a depreciating asset. Go for FH next time. Meanwhile enjoy your new home.

teddybear
26-09-09, 11:40
Depends, I am not saying all but most. The problems are not like they will collapse, but frequent repairs (just like buying those very cheap-made cars - No problem with driving from point A to B, but need frequent repairs for minor things malfunctioning here and there). Those B&W bungalows generally also require a lot of repairs.

There is no conclusive evidence to show old landed building quality is poorer. Like it or not, all buildings depreciate over time. It all depends on the level of maintenance. We don't see old Black & White bungalows having more problems than old condos like Bayshore Park.

jc
26-09-09, 11:57
Depends, I am not saying all but most. The problems are not like they will collapse, but frequent repairs (just like buying those very cheap-made cars - No problem with driving from point A to B, but need frequent repairs for minor things malfunctioning here and there). Those B&W bungalows generally also require a lot of repairs.

I have mentioned b4, Landed home owners need to set aside an amt. of $ for repair/ maintenance/ asset enhancement purposes, just like what sinking fund & maintenance fee for condos do. I know a lot of landed owners don't. So small problem rolls into big. Do u hear many landed owners except GCBs seting aside eg. $4k- $5k per annum which is peanuts vs condo maintenance fee?

On the contrary, many condos despite maintenance fees, still have many propblems.

R u a landed owner? Or maybe u r unlucky that your houses have such problems.

Btw, any existing condo in Sgp as old as B & W bungalow era? 1 i can think of: People's Park Apt. The condition is :doh:

proud owner
26-09-09, 14:49

i used to live in condo ... no chance to swim cos adult pool swamped by kids... and do they 'train up swimming' like you said ? no they play only ..waste time and money ...

i have a landed by kent ridge park ... jogging climbing tree top walking nature etc so much better than condo facilities ... and free ...

mosquitoes ? no ... the only problem is 'too quiet' ...heheh extreme serenity

joseph85
26-09-09, 17:59
Next time don't buy LH99 landed. It is a depreciating asset. Go for FH next time. Meanwhile enjoy your new home.

if i go for freehold landed, the price is gonna be 2x LH99 landed, which i can never afford. but i do have plan to upgrade to a FH condo or FH landed after i used the lh landed for 10yrs. thanks god, i dun think i will have any kids in the foreseeable future, so landed is still for me currently, no problem, but will move to a condo if my parent cant climb the stairs when they are old.

focus
26-09-09, 18:05
I have mentioned b4, Landed home owners need to set aside an amt. of $ for repair/ maintenance/ asset enhancement purposes, just like what sinking fund & maintenance fee for condos do. I know a lot of landed owners don't. So small problem rolls into big. Do u hear many landed owners except GCBs seting aside eg. $4k- $5k per annum which is peanuts vs condo maintenance fee?

On the contrary, many condos despite maintenance fees, still have many propblems.

R u a landed owner? Or maybe u r unlucky that your houses have such problems.

Btw, any existing condo in Sgp as old as B & W bungalow era? 1 i can think of: People's Park Apt. The condition is :doh:

Don't play play.. the people's park apartment is power one man..
yield is freaking high..

I know a lot of the indonesia owners there rent out daily to indo tourists who come here only wanting a place to sleep.. the most incredulous is that for only $15 dollars a day, you can sleep on the floor of the living room with mattress provided.. and you know what.. there can be as many as 20 pax in the living room!! Gosh!

Localite
26-09-09, 22:28
Landed property has always been a good buy in Singapore. They have lagged in psf compared with apartments and one reason is that foreigners can't buy landed. But this is slowly changing, as permission is often granted for a PR to buy landed ppty.

Landed property lends itself to self renewal, without the need for the complicated enbloc process. So a landed property will rise with the tide.

Prices are still lagging in my opinion.

If you take an area like Bukit Timah, an original 3000 sqft semi-d is about 3 mil. You can construct a new 5000 sqft built-in house and the total cost will be 4mil. A 5000 sqft new apt will cost you more than 4mil. Given that what really appreciates is the land and the building depreciates over time, then I believe it makes good investment decision to go for landed ppty.

xebay11
27-09-09, 17:40
That's why sealover said you must love animals like mosquitoes and pigeons. The pigeons can also lay eggs for you so you don't have to buy quail eggs. :p

Actually, there are a number of other inconveniences such as heat and staircases.

However, it seems to be the ultimate aspiration of every Singaporean (similar to buying a Mercedes or BMW). You can be sure that almost every doctor with a successful practice will be staying in a landed property; and every local CEO of a public-listed company.

Perhaps it's due to the coolness of having your own postal code? :spliff:

Why heat and staircases? My parents own a 3 storey landed home and built a ground floor granny flat last year c/w full facilities like seperate kitchen / living dining and laundry area, when my mum calls the taxi, the taxi comes in the electric gate to pick her from the front door, how elderly friendly is that?

The house is NS facing so no noon sun except indirect at rear, they created a eaved roof lean to structure at the rear so the house gets no direct contact with the sun at all, so very, very cool. Instead of having large glass doors in the front, they opted for smaller windows, they treated the windows with stained glass, so ultimate privacy and the security, with video cam and wired alarm is way better than HDB or condo.

Mosquitoes? nada or minimal, as they paved the whole garden and just landscape with potted plants and water feature, so very resort like.

Maintenance is very cheap, as the house was built in 1991, all they need was paint every five years, the roof may need replacement in 20 years, but that will be about $7k only. Because they save on condo maintenace fees, parking etc they use the air con very liberally, so very nice comfortable, private and exclusive life style, which many landed owners enjoy.

jlrx
27-09-09, 22:44
Landed property has always been a good buy in Singapore.

You are right landed are good buys.

Landed's price rise is largely "real"; while condo's price rise is largely "imaginary".

I own both landed and condo so I know. The URA data do not capture the true picture.

When landed rises, it really rises.

When condo "rises", it's usually because the neighbouring new developments are being priced at a higher psf, causing the URA data to reflect the rise. But resale properties can never match that price.

For example, one of my condos in the OCR is still below $1,000 psf, but developers all around are launching at above $1,000 psf.

Higher and higher price they launch ... $1,100 psf ... $1,200 psf ... $1,300 psf. People queue up to buy, give agents blank cheques. URA will capture the price in the region as rising.

However, my poor condo is still below $1,000 psf. :scared-3:

So it's the developers who are pocketing the profits and benefiting from the price rise. Once you buy, and want to resell, buyers won't pay you much more than what you have bought it. They prefer to queue for new condos.

Your price will still be "dragged" upwards by the new developments, like the Chinese saying "a rising tide lifts all boats", but it's very slow.

On the other hand, when landed rises, it really rises. It's not developers' sale. It's really rising.

The rise is nothing short of impressive. Give you an example of an area which I have been eyeing, but now seems a bit out of reach ...

Katong freehold detached bungalow near Chung Cheng High School (Main), with land area around 5,000 sf.

Year 2005 - approx. $400 psf (price approx. $2 million).
Today - approx. $1,000 psf (price approx. $5 million). :scared-4:

:scared-4: :scared-4: :scared-4:
:doh: :doh: :doh:

This is a "real" rise because it's transacted directly between retail buyers and sellers. Not the "imaginary" price rise due to next door's new development's "benchmark" prices, which your condo can never achieve as a resale property.

jlrx
29-12-09, 23:49
Read the following article.

The reporters (not Reporter) and analysts seem to be a bit behind the curve.

I have been noticing this strange phenomenon (refer to my previous postings) that landed home prices did not seem to go down at all during the Lehman crisis. In fact, they continued to go up! :scared-4:

Now they are reporting this after Credo's "four-year study". :doh:

The Business Times should come to this forum and read my posts, or they can interview me. :p

Business Times - 29 Dec 2009

Terrace prices are king among landed homes

For 4 years running their prices have been most resilient, Credo study finds

By KALPANA RASHIWALA

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2009-12-29/BT_IMAGES_KRLAND29A.jpg

(SINGAPORE) Landed home prices have largely continued to rise this year in the five most popular districts despite price fatigue setting in for condominiums and apartments.

A caveats analysis by Credo Real Estate, covering a four-year period from when the residential property market first stirred to life in 2006, shows that prices of terrace houses have been the most resilient over the past four years, rising by over 50 per cent in some areas.

More than semi-detached houses and bungalows, the average per square foot price of terrace houses has risen consistently between 2006 and 2009 in the five most popular districts.

The most sought-after landed housing location is District 19, followed by Districts 15, 28, 20 and 10.

Credo's study does not include the Good Class Bungalow Areas (GCBAs) and Sentosa Cove (which are the more exclusive landed housing locations in Singapore), and strata landed homes. The latter are a hybrid housing form with shared condo-type facilities like swimming pool and tennis courts, and are usually built more intensively than conventional landed housing.

While terrace home prices have fared relatively better than semi-Ds and bungalows, landed home prices on the whole have also appreciated steadily between 2006 and 2009 in the five districts. 'For most districts and sub-classifications of landed, we are at the all-time peak in terms of prices,' says Credo's managing director Karamjit Singh.

In most instances, price gains were achieved last year despite the general property downturn.

Agents attribute this resilience to the relatively limited supply and stock of landed homes.

'There's a very strong desire on the part of many Singaporean households to upgrade to landed property, which is regarded as an emotionally satisfying form of housing to own because you actually own something very tangible on the ground rather than in the air,' says Credo's Mr Singh.

The government's promotion of larger families - with three or more children - has also set more parents thinking about the need for bigger homes with at least four bedrooms.

'Many times you'll find terrace houses offer better value than large apartments and condos. A 2,000 sq ft 4-plus-1, brand-new freehold condo in Katong might cost $2.4 million. But you can probably buy an intermediate terrace for about $2 million and have a bigger gross floor area of 2,500 sq ft, with saleable area inclusive of car porches possibly exceeding 3,000 sq ft. And you could have as many as five bedrooms,' Mr Singh says.

He also points out that landed housing is an asset class that is predominantly bought and sold by Singaporeans rather than foreigners - which accounts for why landed 'has always been like a steady ship, less volatile than high-end condos in particular'.

Knight Frank chairman Tan Tiong Cheng reckons, however, that new citizens could also be potential buyers. 'A lot of new citizens also like landed homes, once they realise security is not an issue in Singapore,' he said.

http://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Jet_Li/206029/tn_Jet_Li_1.jpghttp://www.celebs101.com/gallery/Gong_Li/204211/tn_79458aclasscelebs0080122426lo.jpghttp://star.loudi.tv/loudi/20051012/775/sina1.com_2005107960496.jpg

Terrace houses, which form the bulk of landed housing stock here, made up the lion's share or nearly 60 per cent of the total 1,552 caveats lodged for landed homes in 2009 in the five hot spots.

In the most popular location of District 19 (which includes Serangoon Gardens and Yio Chu Kang), the average price of terrace houses has risen from $409 psf of land area in 2006 to $586 psf this year - an increase of 43.3 per cent.

In the second most sought after locale, District 15 (covering Katong, Opera Estate, Mountbatten and Joo Chiat), the average terrace home price has appreciated 51.8 per cent, from $475 psf in 2006 to $721 psf this year. Average terrace house prices in 2009 are at an all-time high in four of the five districts, and close to the record level in the fifth district.

Bucking the overall uptrend in bungalow and semi-detached home prices last year, the average detached home price in District 15 fell 23.1 per cent to $635 psf in 2008 from $826 psf in 2007. 'District 15 detached houses benefited from that wave of buying we saw for luxury condos in 2007. But they also shared a similar fate when prices later fell in 2008,' says Mr Singh.

District 28 includes Seletar Hills Estate, Luxus Hill and the Mimosa and Saraca areas; District 20 covers Jalan Pemimpin, Sembawang Hills Estate, Thomson Ridge Estate and Soo Chow Gardens; while District 10 includes the Bukit Timah and Holland Road areas.

The five hot spots account for 54.2 per cent of total caveats lodged this year for landed homes in Singapore, excluding GCBAs, Sentosa Cove and strata landed properties.

Overall, the 1,552 caveats lodged for landed homes in the five districts this year is about 65 per cent higher than last year's figure, but still below the 2,516 caveats lodged in 2007.

More than 90 per cent of landed homes transacted this year in Singapore (excluding GCBAs, Sentosa Cove and strata landed homes) were in the secondary market - which is not surprising given the dearth of new project launches in the primary market.

For the year ahead, Knight Frank's Mr Tan reckons the outlook for landed home prices remains strong, 'just like the recovery in 2009 - and more so than condos'.

He reasoned: 'Not only is supply limited but also static. It's more difficult to create landed housing stock; when government sells land, it wants to maximise value especially if it's near MRT stations. Hence the tendency to award higher plot ratios and these can't be maximised by doing landed housing.'

Mr Singh, too, is upbeat about prospects for landed homes as long as the economy continues to grow. 'Landed is dependent on Singaporeans at large feeling richer and confident about their earnings prospects. It has also got to do with the other forms of wealth creation taking place, like people becoming IPO-rich, or en bloc-rich,' he says.

Copyright © 2007 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.

proud owner
20-04-10, 03:28
i am very curious .. maybe someone can enlighten me ...

saw an advert ...

SINGLE storey house ... built up 3150 sqft .... land 2650 sqft

how is that possible ? built up bigger then the land size ? when it is single storey ?

Condorich
20-04-10, 04:21

saw an advert ...

how is that possible ? built up bigger then the land size ? when it is single storey ?

Check the plot ratio. Which is about 1.2, plenty of 1.4 around. Lawyers could do the checks for you after you viewed it and obtained the ownership details.

What is the definition of plot ratio (PR)?

The plot ratio of a site is defined as the ratio of the gross floor area of a building(s) to its site area.

Plot ratio = Gross Floor Area / Site Area

The definition of gross floor area can be found in the Hand Book on Gross Floor Area (http://www.ura.gov.sg/circulars/text/dcdgfahb_d0e4.htm)

jsh
20-04-10, 05:35

saw an advert ...

It might be a single storey with an attic or 11/2 storey as they sometimes advertise it.

sleek
20-04-10, 08:38
It might be a single storey with an attic or 11/2 storey as they sometimes advertise it.

Perhaps basement or cellar? :beats-me-man:

Blue
21-04-10, 11:54
Probably they count the roof space for ninjas!

moneyspinner
04-05-10, 13:25
Just check with some agents, apparently landed properties are continuing their upward move. In property guru.com, nortice that owners are asking for ever higher prices. Not sure whether the buyers will bite though.:scared-4:

jlrx
04-05-10, 17:57
Just check with some agents, apparently landed properties are continuing their upward move. In property guru.com, nortice that owners are asking for ever higher prices. Not sure whether the buyers will bite though.:scared-4:

I have given up (temporarily) after being screamed at by a direct seller last week.

I mistakenly heard "two million" and tried to double check, he screamed "THREE!!! THREE!!! THREE!!!" and then slammed down the phone.

Very rude. :mad:

proud owner
05-05-10, 01:10
I have given up (temporarily) after being screamed at by a direct seller last week.

I mistakenly heard "two million" and tried to double check, he screamed "THREE!!! THREE!!! THREE!!!" and then slammed down the phone.

Very rude. :mad:

all your fault lor

he practises Propertism mah ..

even if no taker at 3mio ..

you can try call him again next month ,,, it will be FOUR !!! FOUR !!FOUR !!!

lol ..sorry ah

jlrx
05-05-10, 02:18
all your fault lor

lol ..sorry ah

PROPERTISM has become a double-edged sword ... :scared-5:

Komo
05-05-10, 22:57
Between landed leasehold terrace house and Interlace (unit with roof trrace/PES), I may choose Interlace!

focus
05-05-10, 23:35
all your fault lor

lol ..sorry ah

hehe.. or the next landed owner that jlrx encounter will tell him..
"Don't buy?.. Never mind.. Property prices always increase in the long run. Ppty should be bought, not sold. I was just testing the market again.." .. :p ..just kidding hor..

proud owner
06-05-10, 00:14
"Don't buy?.. Never mind.. Property prices always increase in the long run. Ppty should be bought, not sold. I was just testing the market again.." .. :p ..just kidding hor..

at least he acknowledged that its a double edged sword ...

so for that i respect him ..

devilplate
06-05-10, 00:36
Be it condo or landed or HDB....99LH/FH...ppty bull run now...all HUAT!!

On serious note, Landed gd for multigen living...buy to rent out...errr...anyone doing tat currently? how easy to rent out landed ar?

proud owner
06-05-10, 01:10
Be it condo or landed or HDB....99LH/FH...ppty bull run now...all HUAT!!

On serious note, Landed gd for multigen living...buy to rent out...errr...anyone doing tat currently? how easy to rent out landed ar?

alot to do with location and condition of house lor ..

how much u think a 3600 sqft built up 3+1 bedroom , 2 yr old landed can command ?

at fringe location, reasonably near city centre, with MRT within 10 mins walking distance .. can rent out pretty easily i guess .. mine was rented out within A DAY

jlrx
06-05-10, 01:47
alot to do with location and condition of house lor ..

how much u think a 3600 sqft built up 3+1 bedroom , 2 yr old landed can command ?

at fringe location, reasonably near city centre, with MRT within 10 mins walking distance .. can rent out pretty easily i guess .. mine was rented out within A DAY

Your landed only 2 years' old! :scared-4:

Did you buy direct from developer or you rebuilt it?

jlrx
06-05-10, 01:59

Actually what you say is true.

If that happens then it's called "retribution" ... :(

Recently I bought a property (not landed) at a very very good price. It happens to be in a market segment that very few people are looking at for the moment.

The owner didn't know he actually priced it quite significantly below market price.

While the deal was being sealed up, I was afraid the owner may come to this forum and read my PROPERTISM - that property prices always go up in the long term hence properties should only be bought and not sold.

If he wises up and refuses to sell, I'll be suffering from "retribution". :scared-3:

But as everyone should know when posting in the forum, if it is your personal belief, you just want to get it off your chest even if you suffer unfavourable consequences because of it.

Fortunately the sale went through. :p

proud owner
06-05-10, 02:13
Your landed only 2 years' old! :scared-4:

Did you buy direct from developer or you rebuilt it?

bought in 06 .. left it empty for abt 7 mths ,,and rebuilt it in 07 ..moved in 08 briefly then rented out

mantrix
06-05-10, 10:42
Hi, what about strata-titled landed? (Aka cluster housing)
Would buying those with FH titles make sense?

proud owner
06-05-10, 11:33

i feel its not worth it ..

usually the land size of each unit is rather small ..and they built 4-5 storey to make up some 3500-4000 sqft .. alot of climbing, like a chimney .. hot air channel up to top floors ...

and they charge by unit size and not land size

a 1800 sqft land , with say 3000 sqft built u costs say 1.8 mio

but a cluster of 3500 sqft built up on 1500-1600 sqft land may cost more, depending on the psf .. some charge 500 psf , some as much as 700 psf

and they are very very close to each other

devilplate
06-05-10, 23:35

usually the land size of each unit is rather small ..and they built 4-5 storey to make up some 3500-4000 sqft .. alot of climbing, like a chimney .. hot air channel up to top floors ...

and they charge by unit size and not land size

a 1800 sqft land , with say 3000 sqft built u costs say 1.8 mio

but a cluster of 3500 sqft built up on 1500-1600 sqft land may cost more, depending on the psf .. some charge 500 psf , some as much as 700 psf

and they are very very close to each other

for those who hardly utilise condo facilities....landed is the obvious choice.

Or like Jet Li...luxury of ur own big pte pool within GCB...:D

Agree clustered housing really very 'cluttered' and coupled with full height windows...

i visited a clustered terrace housing showrm and i was amazed to see roof space (not roof terrace) was included in the built up and the agt told me u goto take care of ur own roof if it leak blah blah so u goto pay for it...:scared-4: pay smthing which u do not haf access to it...:beats-me-man:

jlrx
07-05-10, 01:13

I also feel it's not so worth it, but for a different reason.

Cluster housing are not "real" landed properties. They're more like ground floor condo units and you don't even own the land but have to share it with others. Hence it is not so "emotionally satisfying".

Business Times - 29 Dec 2009

'There's a very strong desire on the part of many Singaporean households to upgrade to landed property, which is regarded as an emotionally satisfying form of housing to own because you actually own something very tangible on the ground rather than in the air,' says Credo's Mr Singh.

Frankly, landed are not so comfortable to stay in physically as compared to condos, but emotionally satisfying.

proud owner
07-05-10, 04:56
I also feel it's not so worth it, but for a different reason.

Cluster housing are not "real" landed properties. They're more like ground floor condo units and you don't even own the land but have to share it with others. Hence it is not so "emotionally satisfying".

Frankly, landed are not so comfortable to stay in physically as compared to condos, but emotionally satisfying.

indeed .. i used to spend my sunday afternoon weeding the garden, fixing up my garden lightings, trimming the palm tree .. very 'retiree' kind of feeling ..and i like it

devilplate
07-05-10, 10:14
indeed .. i used to spend my sunday afternoon weeding the garden, fixing up my garden lightings, trimming the palm tree .. very 'retiree' kind of feeling ..and i like it

If Sg dun have mozzies..I love landed!

proud owner
07-05-10, 11:21
If Sg dun have mozzies..I love landed!

when u stay landed ... you will make friends with NPARK and NEA ...

one email or phone call ..they will come sweep the street, trim the trees ..and fumugate the surrounding ... nicht problem

devilplate
07-05-10, 11:30
when u stay landed ... you will make friends with NPARK and NEA ...

one email or phone call ..they will come sweep the street, trim the trees ..and fumugate the surrounding ... nicht problem

no lor...i give up after endless call and decided to install nettings...keep out bees and other bugs as well...:D fumugation make it worse...all the mozzies siam and fly into my hse! But if u stay near city area...less mozzies problems...my place next to park...lol

Jus wonder how to install nettings to landed ppty...possible but sounds funny...hehe

proud owner
07-05-10, 11:40
no lor...i give up after endless call and decided to install nettings...keep out bees and other bugs as well...:D fumugation make it worse...all the mozzies siam and fly into my hse! But if u stay near city area...less mozzies problems...my place next to park...lol

Jus wonder how to install nettings to landed ppty...possible but sounds funny...hehe

hhhm strange ... cos i had gd relationship with Npark n NEA ...

i also next to park .. no bees .. no mozzies ...

dunno lah ..guess depends on area

Blue
07-05-10, 12:04

Pros and Cons...

Pros of cluster housing:

1) Shared facilities eg. swimming pool (some pools are quite sizeable and you won't get it with landed house unless you got the $$$ and land space to build one for yourself)

2) Maintenance through shared funds. For landed, every repair / maintenance is coming out from your own pocket

3) High security cos neighbours will look out for each other

Cons of cluster housing:

1) U dun own the land. To en-bloc, need to follow the majority rules and many other laws. Landed - U can sell anytime you want and no need to bother about your neighbours.

2) You cannot modify the exterior without consent from Mgmt committee. Landed - you can do watever you want with approval from BCA.

Still, if you ask 10 people on the streets, majority (if not all) will prefer landed than strata title. Like many have said, it is more emotionally satisfying to have your own FH landed house. And a dream home for many.

devilplate
07-05-10, 12:27
hhhm strange ... cos i had gd relationship with Npark n NEA ...

i also next to park .. no bees .. no mozzies ...

dunno lah ..guess depends on area

Strange thing is: I kena bite more den others within the same estate!!!

Mozzies loves me!

proud owner
07-05-10, 12:31
Strange thing is: I kena bite more den others within the same estate!!!

Mozzies loves me!

i do have those 'mozzie plant" which i hear mozzie hates ...

also ..my house is very bright , lots of glass and full height windows and full 'wall' folding glass doors .. so very breezy .. maybe that helps .. cos mozzie tend to like dim/dark and warm places

devilplate
07-05-10, 12:33
Cons of cluster housing:

1) U dun own the land. To en-bloc, need to follow the majority rules and many other laws. Landed - U can sell anytime you want and no need to bother about your neighbours.

Still, if you ask 10 people on the streets, majority (if not all) will prefer landed than strata title. Like many have said, it is more emotionally satisfying to have your own FH landed house. And a dream home for many.

Not easy to enbloc landed too. Especially u own a terrace landed. Even u own a big bungalow...may nid ur nighbour to team up and sell it to developer...Too small a land dun qualify for enbloc.

Can I say, trend and perception is ever changing too?

In the 80s: majority will prefer FH pte condos bcoz they say y spend so much more to buy a 99LH condo....pool/gym...useless la...goto pay maintenance fee u noe...stay HDB better rite....if buy pte...die die buy FH or FH landed!!!

:2cents:

devilplate
07-05-10, 12:36
i do have those 'mozzie plant" which i hear mozzie hates ...

also ..my house is very bright , lots of glass and full height windows and full 'wall' folding glass doors .. so very breezy .. maybe that helps .. cos mozzie tend to like dim/dark and warm places

yes, it sure helps!

Dun worry abt me...i oredi install the nettings...nowadays nettings looks better liao...magnetic strip..easy to wash and remove...

When i tok to my neighbours about mozzies problems...they say...got meh?? nvr kena bite at all! Den i show them my bite marks..one day got 10 over bites during tat 'peak' season...poor me!

proud owner
07-05-10, 12:44
yes, it sure helps!

Dun worry abt me...i oredi install the nettings...nowadays nettings looks better liao...magnetic strip..easy to wash and remove...

When i tok to my neighbours about mozzies problems...they say...got meh?? nvr kena bite at all! Den i show them my bite marks..one day got 10 over bites during tat 'peak' season...poor me!

hahaha either your blood is sweet or you not hairy ..

anyway ..yes i have seen those netting that can pull and click and unclick and the roll and snap back .. looks good too and can act as a form of visual shield if too bright outside ..or prying eyes ..

about buying FH landed or cluster ..

one thing i notice .. in a bull run .. people buy LH ( cos cheaper ) then say 99 is enuff..cannot outlive the property ..

but in a bear market .. people buy FH ( cos can get it cheap)

so i feel buying LH landed is really not worth it .. you buy cheaper but in an expensive period in time, and when market falls .. it falls more than if not same as FH ..

and when it recovers , it also recovers slower .. so your in/out opportunity to make money is much smaller

devilplate
07-05-10, 12:55
one thing i notice .. in a bull run .. people buy LH ( cos cheaper ) then say 99 is enuff..cannot outlive the property ..

but in a bear market .. people buy FH ( cos can get it cheap)

so i feel buying LH landed is really not worth it .. you buy cheaper but in an expensive period in time, and when market falls .. it falls more than if not same as FH ..

and when it recovers , it also recovers slower .. so your in/out opportunity to make money is much smaller

For me, FH/99LH doesnt really matter for cluster housing and Condos..Location most impt! To add, better dun buy any 99LH in a predominantly FH areas...

However, same, i will not touch 99LH Landed regardless how prime it is...unless really dirt cheap at tat time...hehe..:D

mantrix
07-05-10, 21:49
thanks all for your advice.

I guess it boils down to budget again.

I like landed for the space it gives and condos for their facilities. Cluster seems like a good choice though you are all correct on the limitations. A terrace would cost 1.2M onwards in OCR and on top of that you must be prepared to fork out a lot more for reno. Still, you own it both physically and emotionally.

However, with a budget of only 1.6M and no cash for reno i thought i may choose cluster to save the trouble of searching for a landed bargain. If I do buy i'll treat it as a condo with bigger space loh... ;)

devilplate
07-05-10, 22:18

I like landed for the space it gives and condos for their facilities. Cluster seems like a good choice though you are all correct on the limitations. A terrace would cost 1.2M onwards in OCR and on top of that you must be prepared to fork out a lot more for reno. Still, you own it both physically and emotionally.

However, with a budget of only 1.6M and no cash for reno i thought i may choose cluster to save the trouble of searching for a landed bargain. If I do buy i'll treat it as a condo with bigger space loh... ;)

which resale clustered housing u aiming now?

Blue
12-05-10, 10:31

Saw a banner ad that a corner terrace along Koon Seng Rd (land 2400 sqft, built in 2000 sqft) going at $1.89M. It would be a good buy if the condition is not too old, i.e. minor A&A to make it look brand new again.

proud owner
13-05-10, 00:04
Saw a banner ad that a corner terrace along Koon Seng Rd (land 2400 sqft, built in 2000 sqft) going at $1.89M. It would be a good buy if the condition is not too old, i.e. minor A&A to make it look brand new again.

hey Blue .. i believe you are a D15 person

i am not so familair most part of D15 as it is too big .. Koon seng, Joo chiat area .. is it true that most landed there , esp those along the main Joo chiat and Koon seng roads DO NOT HAVE FRONTAGE ?

as in .. the main door are really close to the road ? and most park their car outside their house ? and not within the gated area ?

are there any Conservation houses there ?

any idea how much would one cost ? original condition

Blue
14-05-10, 12:15
hey Blue .. i believe you are a D15 person

i am not so familair most part of D15 as it is too big .. Koon seng, Joo chiat area .. is it true that most landed there , esp those along the main Joo chiat and Koon seng roads DO NOT HAVE FRONTAGE ?

as in .. the main door are really close to the road ? and most park their car outside their house ? and not within the gated area ?

are there any Conservation houses there ?

any idea how much would one cost ? original condition

Only the conservation houses have no frontage, i.e. no car porch. But in another way, their internal built in / covered area (living hall) is lengthened / bigger. For these conservation houses, the owners have to either park in designated parallel roadside lots or open air car parks nearby. There are a couple of conservation houses along Koon Seng Road, and I often see tourists and photographers hitting there to take pictures. There is also a stretch of newly revamped conservation houses called The Heritage 9 sold at $2.6M for 1900 sqft land.

For the normal landed, they should all have frontage. And it is a requirement by URA too in order to get Building Plans approved.

Koon Seng road is a relatively major road which links drivers from Still Road / Telok Kurau towards Ceylon Lane / Old Airport Road / Meyer Rd / Nicoll Highway, and therefore it tends to be a bit more noiser than other smaller roads.

I would say the land psf for this corner terrace is very reasonable @ $790 psf. If you have the cash of another $900K, you can rebuild it to a nice modern house with 3000 sqft built in.

proper-t
14-05-10, 13:23
Yes, stopped by that area for food and have seen some of the conservation houses there and they can be quite quaint. A few are nicely renovated too.

proud owner
15-05-10, 01:12
Only the conservation houses have no frontage, i.e. no car porch. But in another way, their internal built in / covered area (living hall) is lengthened / bigger. For these conservation houses, the owners have to either park in designated parallel roadside lots or open air car parks nearby. There are a couple of conservation houses along Koon Seng Road, and I often see tourists and photographers hitting there to take pictures. There is also a stretch of newly revamped conservation houses called The Heritage 9 sold at $2.6M for 1900 sqft land.

For the normal landed, they should all have frontage. And it is a requirement by URA too in order to get Building Plans approved.

Koon Seng road is a relatively major road which links drivers from Still Road / Telok Kurau towards Ceylon Lane / Old Airport Road / Meyer Rd / Nicoll Highway, and therefore it tends to be a bit more noiser than other smaller roads.

I would say the land psf for this corner terrace is very reasonable @ $790 psf. If you have the cash of another $900K, you can rebuild it to a nice modern house with 3000 sqft built in.

a friend's friend bought a super old conservation around there a yr ago ..but dunno why refused to disclose how much he paid for it .. i also dun want to push ...

but i believe he paid 1.5-1.7 mio for it .. heard very old ...and he renovated it ...

i kind of like the old look .. except i dun like the flight of steps in front .. whereas those along Neil rd they are level with the road

xebay11
17-05-10, 18:30
Check out www.isabelredrup.com (http://www.isabelredrup.com) to see the potential of these old beauties.

proud owner
17-05-10, 22:08
Check out www.isabelredrup.com (http://www.isabelredrup.com) to see the potential of these old beauties.

ahahah

i dont have a good impression of her ..

in 2006 i called her to view a semi in sunset way ..
she couldnt be bothered to return my call

i waited for a week and call again only to be told its been sold and she forgot to remove the listing

and her captions damn cha cha .. cant take it

bargain hunter
18-05-10, 01:35
i dun see her expensive, refurbished conservation terraces closing leh, months and months and months see the same adverts.

ahahah

i waited for a week and call again only to be told its been sold and she forgot to remove the listing

proud owner
18-05-10, 01:48
i dun see her expensive, refurbished conservation terraces closing leh, months and months and months see the same adverts.

yep

either they are sold and she never remove them from her website .. or not sold at all ..

then again .. i dun see any caveat either

i think she lives in Clementi Park ..

xebay11
18-05-10, 08:41
yep

either they are sold and she never remove them from her website .. or not sold at all ..

then again .. i dun see any caveat either

i think she lives in Clementi Park ..

From her website, she is very atas type. Entertain "principals" only. LOL!

xebay11
18-05-10, 08:44
ahahah

Fishing la, probably dummy ad. Shhhh.......

stl67
18-05-10, 10:27
a friend's friend bought a super old conservation around there a yr ago ..but dunno why refused to disclose how much he paid for it .. i also dun want to push ...

but i believe he paid 1.5-1.7 mio for it .. heard very old ...and he renovated it ...

i kind of like the old look .. except i dun like the flight of steps in front .. whereas those along Neil rd they are level with the road

i recently found out that a friend of mine sold his 3500 sq ft semi-d last June 2009 for less than 1.8mio (district is 2x). he stayed there for about 1.5 year after extensive A&A.

i was shocked at why he sold it for so cheap and would have bought it from him if I knew he was selling, though I never visited his house before.

he told me that he would never sell it to me simply because the place is not "peaceful" and at that moment I could feed goose pimple all over me. and this was in the middle of a hot sunday morning golf game.

after that, another friend of ours told us that the whole family experience some strange things around the house.

btw, this friend of mine is a staunch christian and he is in his early 50s.

my question is : if you happend to be in this situation. what do you do if you are a buddhist, christian, hinduism, toaist, muslim or a free thinker?

for myself, i would most likely move out as my kids are still so young.

proud owner
18-05-10, 12:25
i recently found out that a friend of mine sold his 3500 sq ft semi-d last June 2009 for less than 1.8mio (district is 2x). he stayed there for about 1.5 year after extensive A&A.

i was shocked at why he sold it for so cheap and would have bought it from him if I knew he was selling, though I never visited his house before.

he told me that he would never sell it to me simply because the place is not "peaceful" and at that moment I could feed goose pimple all over me. and this was in the middle of a hot sunday morning golf game.

after that, another friend of ours told us that the whole family experience some strange things around the house.

my question is : if you happend to be in this situation. what do you do if you are a buddhist, christian, hinduism, toaist, muslim or a free thinker?

i heard similar stories before ... and i heard the 'remedy' is to bring young children along for viewing ... cos they are more 'sensitive' to such stuff ...

and if they children behave happy in the property ..then it means its 'clean'

stl67
18-05-10, 13:38
i heard similar stories before ... and i heard the 'remedy' is to bring young children along for viewing ... cos they are more 'sensitive' to such stuff ...

Now that you said this, I rememberd one incident around 2007 before the mkt starts to get real hot. We were viewing at 1 unit in Saraca. The owner spends a lot of money renovating the whole place and everything still looks good. Price was 900K. The only problem is that it is 99 years old and also my 1 year old daughters cried continuously during the view. We were not very comfortable about this.

18-05-10, 14:57

If you have no kids, bring a pet dog... provided that it's not a muslim house and the owner permits it. I carried my dog when I was viewing my current place.

jlrx
18-05-10, 23:58

Your friend is quite stupid.

How would the buyers know whether the house is "peaceful" or not?

Just ask the agent to turn the air-con to maximum during viewing so if anyone feels cold can blame the air-con.

http://www.techdigest.tv/the-ring.jpg http://www.alanesq.com/aircon/aircon.jpg

Or maybe during the A&A he forgot to remove an old wardrobe which looks like a coffin?

Looks quite OK to me. :scared-5:

At least it's better than the wardrobes that come with most of the properties I buy, which look something like this ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/matty_1080/DSC01963.jpg
omg, tat look like a coffin more then wardrobes....:doh:

Regulators
19-05-10, 03:02
bro, the ghost pic gives me the creeps....:scared-3:

proud owner
19-05-10, 03:57

indeed

the hair part looks like shes facing away from you

but the hands reveal that shes facing you

mantrix
19-05-10, 05:50
indeed

I wake up in the middle of the night and I see that pic on my phone... :scared-4:

xebay11
19-05-10, 06:14
indeed

So is the neck twisted 180 deg or is she facing you with her hair covering her face? :D

jlrx
19-05-10, 15:28

It's not the ghost pic but your air-con.

proper-t
19-05-10, 16:32
Yah, when I view houses, sometimes I get this chill up my spine too. I am usually more comfortable if the house looks lived in and the family has stayed there for quite some time.

My friend used to kaypoh and check with the neighbours to find out if there are any 'disturbing' occurences.

Another method my friend told me if you really don't want to sell is to rent it out cheap to 'ang mohs'. The 'local presence' seems to shy away from the tenants and after the rental expires, the house seems to be ok. Don't know whether it works or not.

Regulators
21-05-10, 00:00
a relative of mine just committed suicide a couple of weeks back. i went to the morgue and her face was beyond recognition and partly covered (u probably know how she died). Those who saw her face in full just after the incident said that it is better not to see. i am still deep traumatised by the incident, not joking here.

Yah, when I view houses, sometimes I get this chill up my spine too. I am usually more comfortable if the house looks lived in and the family has stayed there for quite some time.

My friend used to kaypoh and check with the neighbours to find out if there are any 'disturbing' occurences.

Another method my friend told me if you really don't want to sell is to rent it out cheap to 'ang mohs'. The 'local presence' seems to shy away from the tenants and after the rental expires, the house seems to be ok. Don't know whether it works or not.

proper-t
21-05-10, 10:23
Anyway, enough of all this talk...some latest Q1 stats on the number of landed ppty in SG. Only about 70K landed in SG. This constitutes less than 30% of total private ppties.

http://www.myalbum.com/Photo-PV3APRG6-D.jpg

moneyspinner
11-06-10, 13:57
Project Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('PROJECT_NAME');)Street Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('STREET_NAME');)Typehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('PROPERTY_TYPE');)No. of Unitshttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('COVER');)Price
($)http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('PRICE');)Area (Sqft)1
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('FLOOR_LAND_AREA_SQF');)Type of Area2
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('LOT_TYPE');)Unit Price ($psf)3
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('PRICE_PSF');)Date of Option Exercised / Sales Agreement Signedhttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (javascript:setSortBy('CONTRACT_DATE');)LANDED HOUSING DEVELOPMENT JALAN AMPANGDetached House16,700,0004,386Land1,527May-10
Detached bungalow in Jalan Ampang has hit S$1,527 psf in May 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:

Localite
12-06-10, 09:24
[quote=moneyspinner]Project Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PROJECT_NAME');)Street Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('STREET_NAME');)Typehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PROPERTY_TYPE');)No. of Unitshttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('COVER');)Price
($)http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PRICE');)Area (Sqft)1
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('FLOOR_LAND_AREA_SQF');)Type of Area2
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('LOT_TYPE');)Unit Price ($psf)3
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PRICE_PSF');)Date of Option Exercised / Sales Agreement Signedhttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('CONTRACT_DATE');)LANDED HOUSING DEVELOPMENT JALAN AMPANGDetached House16,700,0004,386Land1,527May-10
Detached bungalow in Jalan Ampang has hit S$1,527 psf in May 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:[/quote

Is this the price just for land or is there a decent house. 1500 psf for D10 is no big deal. You can see detached at Berrima D11 transacted for 2000 psf recently.

Localite
12-06-10, 09:28
Having said that Jalan Ampang is not the best of locations. It is D10 but then again it is not the same as Berrima, D10 D11 are only planning guidelines, at the end you must see the actual vicinity. Do you get the feeling of serenity while still being in a prime location. I wouldnt get that feeling at Jln Ampang. Berrima yes.

bargain hunter
13-06-10, 00:13
[quote=moneyspinner]Project Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PROJECT_NAME');)Street Namehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('STREET_NAME');)Typehttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PROPERTY_TYPE');)No. of Unitshttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('COVER');)Price
($)http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PRICE');)Area (Sqft)1
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('FLOOR_LAND_AREA_SQF');)Type of Area2
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('LOT_TYPE');)Unit Price ($psf)3
http://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('PRICE_PSF');)Date of Option Exercised / Sales Agreement Signedhttp://www.ura.gov.sg/WebResources/images/common/sortIcon.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:setSortBy('CONTRACT_DATE');)LANDED HOUSING DEVELOPMENT JALAN AMPANGDetached House16,700,0004,386Land1,527May-10
Detached bungalow in Jalan Ampang has hit S$1,527 psf in May 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:[/quote

Is this the price just for land or is there a decent house. 1500 psf for D10 is no big deal. You can see detached at Berrima D11 transacted for 2000 psf recently.

it's not a brand new house. doesn't look fantastic either. nonetheless, its a 3 storey detached with s/pool. Freehold, 7+1 bedrooms.

moneyspinner
10-08-10, 20:54
Landed home purchases by foreigners surge
But acquisitions of private apartments and condos slip 7.4 per cent in Q2.

Tue, Aug 10, 2010
The Business Times
By Kalpana Rashiwala
Foreigners including permanent residents bought 81 landed homes in Singapore in the second quarter of this year, up from 69 in Q1. And the Q2 figure is the strongest quarterly showing since Q2 2007, according to Knight Frank's analysis of URA Realis caveats information up to July 30.
http://www.asiaone.com/a1media/business/08Aug10/images/100810_landed_2.jpg (http://business.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Property/Story/A1Story20100810-231319/2.html)
District 15, which includes Katong, Telok Kurau and East Coast Road, overtook District 4 - where transactions are predominantly at Sentosa Cove - as the most popular district among foreign buyers of landed property. In Q1, District 4 was most highly sought after by such foreigners.
While foreigners picked up more landed homes in Q2 than Q1, they bought fewer private apartments and condos. The number slipped 7.4 per cent, from 2,261 units in Q1 to 2,093 in Q2, according to Knight Frank.
But Singaporeans bought more non-landed private homes in Q2 - 5,732, versus 5,315 in Q1.
Knight Frank chairman Tan Tiong Cheng said foreigners' strong interest in landed homes reflects their growing recognition of such assets as a prized commodity in land-scarce Singapore.
'The increased interest is not surprising as landed housing offers many foreigners a lifestyle closer to what they are used to in their home country,' he said. 'The added attraction is that Singapore is a very safe place, so landed housing is as secure as, say, a gated community.'
William Wong, managing director of RealStar Premier Property which specialises in selling landed homes in east and central Singapore, said permanent residents (PRs), after living in Singapore for a few years, tend to realise it's worthwhile investing in landed property.
(http://business.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Property/Story/A1Story20100810-231319.html) (http://business.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Property/Story/A1Story20100810-231319/3.html)
'Bungalow prices (on per square foot of land basis) are still lower than apartment and condo prices on psf of strata area in the same location,' he said.
'On top of that, the supply of landed homes is more limited than that of condos and apartments.
Landed homes also tend to maintain their value better, as the main component of, say, a bungalow's value would be the land it sits on, whereas apartment and condo values may depreciate faster as the property ages.'
PRs who choose landed property can easily get access to the facilities they would enjoy in a condo - such as a big swimming pool and gym - by joining a club, he noted.
Mr Wong said landed property transactions started to pick up in June-July, after a slow period in March-May. 'In District 15, bungalows in the Mountbatten and Meyer road areas can easily sell for about $1,000-1,100 psf of land today, compared with around $900 psf towards the end of 2009,' he said.
'In District 10, say in Coronation Road or Namly Avenue, a bungalow may cost about $1,200-$1,300 psf-plus today, up from $1,000-1,100 psf late last year.'

Besides an increase in the number of landed homes bought by foreigners in Q2, Knight Frank's report shows their share of total landed home purchases here rose from 6.3 per cent in January-March to almost 7 per cent in April-June.
The latter figure is a tad below an 8 per cent share in Q1 2007 and Q2 2008.
The 150 landed properties bought by foreigners in the first half of this year accounted for about 6.6 per cent of landed home deals in the period. On an annual basis, the share has ranged from 3 per cent in 1996 to 9 per cent in 1995 and 1997.
Knight Frank's analysis also shows PRs acquired 132 of the 150 landed homes bought by foreigners in the first half of this year.
The other 18 were bought by non-PR foreigners. This is not surprising as on mainland Singapore, being a PR is one of the major criteria a foreigner has to fulfil before being allowed to buy a landed home.
Sentosa Cove is the only place in Singapore where non-PR foreigners are allowed to buy landed homes, but this is still subject to approval by the Land Dealings (Approval) Unit, among other conditions.
(http://business.asiaone.com/Business/My%2BMoney/Property/Story/A1Story20100810-231319/3.html)

devilplate
10-08-10, 23:23
y foreigners can buy landed so easily!!!!!!!!!!

no wonder landed prices rise so fast and furious!!!

foreigner took my only priviledge away!:banghead:

proud owner
10-08-10, 23:41

i think sentosa is the only LANDED that foreigners can just buy ...

as for other landed over mainland .. be it 99,999 or FH ...there are criterias that need to be met ..

also Clustered housing are categorised as Landed, most are strata status, like condo.... so the actual number of REAL LANDED purchased can be a little distorted

jlrx
12-08-10, 04:34

You still have a privilege. Citizens can buy unlimited number of landed properties and rent them out, but foreigners and permanent residents can buy only one landed property for self-stay.

Therefore to exercise you citizenship privilege, you must buy as many landed properties as possible. :scared-4:

By the way, D15 especially Katong is getting very hot. Look at the price! :scared-3: (Even if it'd been rebuilt I don't see how the cost can come to $4 million)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/jlrx_bucket/GoodmanRoad37Caveat.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/jlrx_bucket/GoodmanRoadHouse37.jpg

focus
12-08-10, 09:15
By the way, D15 especially Katong is getting very hot. Look at the price! :scared-3: (Even if it'd been rebuilt I don't see how the cost can come to $4 million)

Not surprising. Almost every type of private housing doubled in value from 2006 to 2010.

The surprising thing is it actually fell a little during the Great Financial Crisis and then shot its way back up to breach the 2007 peak again. This is a phenomenal that happened in HK,Singapore,China,Australia(but not in Europe or US).

Does seem to be a confluence of many factors that are pushing Asian properties into the forefront :-
1) Perceived Safe Haven for money that are not actively managed
2) Stocks too risky and mentally stressing
3) Low interest rate
4) Potential depreciation of USD/Euro against Asian Currencies
5) Low/No Estate duty taxes and income taxes and capital gain taxes compared to the West
6) Continued diversification of rich's money from USD/Euro into Asian currencies.

jlrx
12-08-10, 16:17
Does seem to be a confluence of many factors that are pushing Asian properties into the forefront :-
1) Perceived Safe Haven for money that are not actively managed
2) Stocks too risky and mentally stressing
3) Low interest rate
4) Potential depreciation of USD/Euro against Asian Currencies
5) Low/No Estate duty taxes and income taxes and capital gain taxes compared to the West
6) Continued diversification of rich's money from USD/Euro into Asian currencies.

The answer can be found in today's Business Times.

Business Times, 12 Aug 2010
The world is facing a serious currency crisis

Washington must take the US dollar decline far more seriously than it seems to be doing

By ANTHONY ROWLEY
TOKYO CORRESPONDENT

Volatility in currency markets is nothing new, but what is different this time is that what have come to be regarded in recent decades as the 'rules of the game' appear to have been discarded - and this is scary.

Japan is alarmed at the apparent end of the ancien regime in currencies, which allowed it to export its way out of trouble and it will be forced eventually into further monetary easing as the 'fight to the bottom' among leading currencies continues. As the US dollar continues to decline against the euro too, Europe will need to ease while China will have to fight to keep the yuan from appreciating. Other Asian economies will also face upward pressure on their currencies, forcing them into unwanted easing and inflation, now that the rules of the game have changed.

Some people here are still worried about whether the property market will crash.

I'm more worried about whether the cash in my bank will become worthless tomorrow.

“The modern banking process manufactures currency out of nothing.”.
- Lord Josiah Stamp, Former Director of the Bank of England (1937)

“At the end fiat money returns to its inner value—zero.”
- Voltaire (21 November 1694 – 30 May 1778)

moneyspinner
08-10-10, 22:40
Just missed a good property, a detached at Holland Grove. It was snapped up before I can make an offer. Understand the house with land size of 4,500 sq ft crossed at $6.3 million, i.e. 1,400 psf! Good landed still seem pretty HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:

devilplate
08-10-10, 22:44
Just missed a good property, a detached at Holland Grove. It was snapped up before I can make an offer. Understand the house with land size of 4,500 sq ft crossed at $6.3 million, i.e. 1,400 psf! Good landed still seem pretty HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:

wah...u got big budget:ashamed1:

btw, 99lh? u sure 1400psf? so high arr:scared-3:

Localite
23-10-10, 20:18
wah...u got big budget:ashamed1:

btw, 99lh? u sure 1400psf? so high arr:scared-3:

Holland grove why 99LH, I think either FH or 999.

1400 psf considered good price if the house is in good condition.

moneyspinner
23-10-10, 23:43
House is freehold and less than 2 years old contemporary design. Very nice. Sold within 2 weeks on the market!:banghead:

Fisherman
16-05-11, 11:26
Looks like FH detached houses very much sought after! Can't find anything @ ~$1,400 psf liao in D10/11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared-4:

clemdale
16-05-11, 23:36
You still have a privilege. Citizens can buy unlimited number of landed properties and rent them out, but foreigners and permanent residents can buy only one landed property for self-stay.

Therefore to exercise you citizenship privilege, you must buy as many landed properties as possible. :scared-4:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/jlrx_bucket/GoodmanRoad37Caveat.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/jlrx_bucket/GoodmanRoadHouse37.jpg

What do u guys think of D15 Katong area? Is it a good area, compared to D9/10/11? How are the prices in D15 in comparison to D9/10/11?

And what about D19 - how does it compare to D15?

Thanks

kingkong1984
17-05-11, 06:32
He is gone....

Montaigne
18-07-11, 21:56
Hi, got a question here. If pricing about the same and location is comparable, would u rather get a fh condo apt or leasehold landed? I realised tat some leasehold landed pricing comparable to some freehold condo and some friends are saying tat at this kind of pricing for condo may as well buy 99yr landed.

ysyap
18-07-11, 23:07
Hi, got a question here. If pricing about the same and location is comparable, would u rather get a fh condo apt or leasehold landed? I realised tat some leasehold landed pricing comparable to some freehold condo and some friends are saying tat at this kind of pricing for condo may as well buy 99yr landed.Its a matter of individual choice. I prefer a FH condo with all the facilities coz I do use those facilities. LH landed will depreciate to zero eventually so you will have to dispose it before it's become a liability! Also the cleaning up is your own responsibilty. Also must look at the location and neighbours. Just my thoughts.:p

howgozit
19-07-11, 00:06
Hi, got a question here. If pricing about the same and location is comparable, would u rather get a fh condo apt or leasehold landed? I realised tat some leasehold landed pricing comparable to some freehold condo and some friends are saying tat at this kind of pricing for condo may as well buy 99yr landed.

I am no expert, just my own feelings about it.

For me, I would shy away from 99yr landed. A 99LH landed has limited opportunity to re-lease the land and re-activate its use. There are many of these 99yrLH landed in Pasir Ris and Sunbird Ave area. Though their prices have gone up a bit, it is not in tandem with the overall landed market. A comparison can be made with their FH neighbours and you'll know what I mean. (In these two locations, they mixed the FH and LH, some are even side by side)

A 99LH condo still has chance of rejuvenation thru an enbloc, in fact you can even make money out of it. But for a 99LH landed as it ages, the value weakens as there is no chance of enbloc.

DC33_2008
19-07-11, 09:09
FH condo should be the better choice. Landed has to be at least LH999 otherwise not worth it. The reason is that landed has the opportunity for reconstruction or A&A. The cost of such work can easily be in the region of 20-50% of the price of the land. It is not worth if if it is only for 99years (2 generations).

proud owner
19-07-11, 09:31
FH condo should be the better choice. Landed has to be at least LH999 otherwise not worth it. The reason is that landed has the opportunity for reconstruction or A&A. The cost of such work can easily be in the region of 20-50% of the price of the land. It is not worth if if it is only for 99years (2 generations).

ever wonder why in some landed estate .. one side of a street is FH and the other LH ?

i can only assume that after 99 yrs , the LH may be used for other purposes, like turning into condos, commercials malls, or anything ..

buying a FH at that borderline..is risky all the same .. your neighbour can become a 20 storey condo ...

DC33_2008
19-07-11, 09:36
Never buy FH landed properties next to a road, near HDB flats and in area with only a few houses. There is a risk of garment may buy back from you or take part of your garden for road widening.
ever wonder why in some landed estate .. one side of a street is FH and the other LH ?

i can only assume that after 99 yrs , the LH may be used for other purposes, like turning into condos, commercials malls, or anything ..

buying a FH at that borderline..is risky all the same .. your neighbour can become a 20 storey condo ...

howgozit
19-07-11, 12:19

In Pasir Ris Heights/Drive...etc it is even stranger, I have gone to see a 999LH corner terrace that shares a wall with a 99LH intermediate terrace. The other side of this corner terrace is a another 99LH corner terrace. This means the 999LH terrace is sandwiched between 2 99LH terraces.

I am told the owners of the 99LH terraces are trying to re-lease the land from the government. I really wonder what becomes of these properties when the lease is up, Garmen can't seize it back with a 999LH sitting in between can they?

bargain hunter
19-07-11, 13:27
the odd 999 unit will be in danger only when the other 2 and the rest of the 99 year leaseholds nearby are taken back and converted to other uses (including an amalgamated state land sale to become a condo).

In Pasir Ris Heights/Drive...etc it is even stranger, I have gone to see a 999LH corner terrace that shares a wall with a 99LH intermediate terrace. The other side of this corner terrace is a another 99LH corner terrace. This means the 999LH terrace is sandwiched between 2 99LH terraces.

I am told the owners of the 99LH terraces are trying to re-lease the land from the government. I really wonder what becomes of these properties when the lease is up, Garmen can't seize it back with a 999LH sitting in between can they?

howgozit
19-07-11, 14:30
the odd 999 unit will be in danger only when the other 2 and the rest of the 99 year leaseholds nearby are taken back and converted to other uses (including an amalgamated state land sale to become a condo).

There are many of these 999LH terraces peppered amongst the 99LH in that area. In addition, the area is slated as a landed housing zone so I think chances of redevelopment into condo is slim.

However, I am very curious what will happen when their lease ends. Can one actually extend the lease by paying the government? And at what price? Anybody knows? Thanks!

bargain hunter
19-07-11, 16:26
so far no precedent i think but the holland/bukit timah MP sort of promised to look into it for those rifle range road near railway track land which has about 50 years of lease left. see if anything comes out of that.

yeah. if zone for landed its safe for now. but another 50 years, who knows. if sg becomes very dense and another mrt station pops up nearby, they could re-zone for high density residential.

There are many of these 999LH terraces peppered amongst the 99LH in that area. In addition, the area is slated as a landed housing zone so I think chances of redevelopment into condo is slim.

However, I am very curious what will happen when their lease ends. Can one actually extend the lease by paying the government? And at what price? Anybody knows? Thanks!

Montaigne
19-07-11, 17:51
A friend just bought a 10yr old 99lh 3 storey terrace at only 1mil, initially we are so envious cos we only got lobang for fh two bedder at this kind of Pricing. Now after reading your comment
having second thoughts..

howgozit
20-07-11, 04:33
so far no precedent i think but the holland/bukit timah MP sort of promised to look into it for those rifle range road near railway track land which has about 50 years of lease left. see if anything comes out of that.

yeah. if zone for landed its safe for now. but another 50 years, who knows. if sg becomes very dense and another mrt station pops up nearby, they could re-zone for high density residential.

Yep... you are right. Waiting to see what happens too (if anything)

Just wondering if there is any truth that an individual LH landowner can actually negotiate with the government to top-up the lease. How to determine the price? How does it all work?

kingkong1984
20-07-11, 08:45
Never buy FH landed properties next to a road, near HDB flats and in area with only a few houses. There is a risk of garment may buy back from you or take part of your garden for road widening.

yes, look at the plot ratio and the zone classification.

proud owner
20-07-11, 09:26
A friend just bought a 10yr old 99lh 3 storey terrace at only 1mil, initially we are so envious cos we only got lobang for fh two bedder at this kind of Pricing. Now after reading your comment
having second thoughts..

he may not be wrong ..

if some HDBs can cost 700k ... whats 1 mio for LH landed ? its a better buy in my opinion

proper-t
20-07-11, 09:33
he may not be wrong ..

if some HDBs can cost 700k ... whats 1 mio for LH landed ? its a better buy in my opinion

For HDB, lease will most probably be extended with even possibly a low premium charge for the extension. For landed houses, possibility of lease being extended is still in question especially if the houses are in a prime belt or one slated for high density living. In land-scarce Singapore, almost everywhere (except for green belt and GCB) is being slated for high density living.