PDA

View Full Version : Where do you think property prices are heading?

gfoo
06-07-10, 21:55
Where do you think property prices are heading? You can choose more than one answer - all poll choices are hidden to all, not even the moderator can see, so be truthful pls.:)

paul phua
06-07-10, 22:01
UP and up because we are staying in the small red dot.

focus
06-07-10, 22:12
I vote liao!

I say:-
1) Mass will stabilised well supported by the HDBs.
2) Prime will move soon and extend its price gap with mass

gfoo
06-07-10, 22:14
I vote liao!

wah you very bullish hor. I created poll so i won't vote, wanna do a dipstick on sentiments. as long as pple honest, this poll should give a good representation

bargain hunter
06-07-10, 22:22
a bit tricky for the prime. only can choose prime will crash to 1Q 2009 or dip a little. i feel won't crash to 1Q 2009 but may dip a little more than a little. :ashamed1: but in the end still voted prime will dip a little then move up.

gfoo
06-07-10, 22:42
the bulls are leading :)

kane
06-07-10, 22:49
prime correct a bit, mass under 1k psf to stabilise. those above 1k psf... hmmm...

august
06-07-10, 23:28
my vote:

HDB to stabilise
Mass and Prime to stagnate

silver023
07-07-10, 00:02
Not being biased, but many buyers of private property I see are still upgraders and young couples who are going to marry, as well as foreigners who think rental too high.

So I vote prices will go up steadily, with HDB as backbone.

gfoo
07-07-10, 10:27
The people have voted! As it stands, the two strongest beliefs in this forum are that:

Mass is supported by buoyant HDB market, will stabilize & increase slowly but steadily; and that HDB prices will continue to rise, but stabilize at some point in the future.

Everyone is so bullish!

jlrx
07-07-10, 11:27
The people have voted! As it stands, the two strongest beliefs in this forum are that:

Mass is supported by buoyant HDB market, will stabilize & increase slowly but steadily; and that HDB prices will continue to rise, but stabilize at some point in the future.

Everyone is so bullish!

HDB will continue rising for a very simple reason: no supply.

When a buyer wants a flat in Toa Payoh, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Toa Payoh.

When a buyer wants a flat in Clementi, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Clementi.

When a buyer wants a flat in Ang Mo Kio, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Ang Mo Kio.

When a buyer wants a flat in Tampines, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Tampines.

When a buyer wants a flat in Marine Parade, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Marine Parade but Ah Por and Ah Pak below "won't want to move out" even if "offered $1 million today".

The Straits Times

Scenic drive

HDB flats with great views are in hot demand.

Tay Suan Chiang

Sat, Jun 23, 2007

http://www.asiaone.com/migrated/wdu/gardening/greenhavens/gallery/pics/20070623_001c.jpg

Madam Yeo Wee Geck on her 20th-storey Marine Parade unit. She can catch the sunrise as well as enjoy the sea view from her flat.

Mr Chris Koh, director of Dennis Wee Properties, says prices for private properties have soared over the past year due to the influx of investment from foreigners and buyers' confidence in the Singapore economy.

And that has also boosted the demand for HDB flats in good locations and on higher floors.

He cites the example of a five-room HDB flat in Marine Parade that has unblocked views of the sea. He says that, three years ago, it would have fetched about $350,000.

"A year ago, it could sell for $400,000. Today, buyers are willing to pay $500,000," he says.

But even though their flat may now fetch a higher price, some home owners are unwilling to sell.

Housewife Yeo Wee Geck, 85, is one. The grandmother of six lives with her only daughter and their maid in a five-room HDB flat in Marine Parade. She bought the 20th-storey unit in the early 1970s for $30,000.

She gets to watch the sun rise from her flat, as well as enjoy views of East Coast Park and the sea. "It is so breezy here. I won't move out," she says.

http://www.asiaone.com/migrated/wdu/gardening/greenhavens/gallery/pics/20070623_001b.jpg

Block 29 Marine Crescent. RETIREE P.R. Sharma, 81, has a view from his 20th-storey flat that many Singaporeans would envy.

His five-room HDB point-block flat overlooks East Coast Park and the city skyline in the distance. He can even see the sea from a side window and from the bedroom and living room.

He gets to enjoy the sunrise from his flat, watch planes land and take off from nearby Changi airport and count the number of tankers dotting the sea off East Coast Park.

He paid $35,500 for the flat in 1974, and says he was offered about $900,000 for it nearly 20 years ago. Property agents say the current selling rate for such a flat is $500,000.

He adds that even if he was offered $1million today, he would not sell it. He gets about three flyers a day from agents looking for sellers but he throws them in the bin without even looking at them.

devilplate
07-07-10, 11:43
but there r many others who willing to sell:p

maisonjai
07-07-10, 11:48
Punggol oversubscribe by 12 times as of now, so the buyers are accepting the ‘subsidized housing’ at this price level. Location in the North, prices are also heading North, so HDB how to dip leh?

devilplate
07-07-10, 11:54
got cheaper by 100k bto ppl simply dun bother..
BTO prices too cheapppppppppppp

chanys
07-07-10, 11:57
He paid $35,500 for the flat in 1974, and says he was offered about $900,000 for it nearly 20 years ago. Property agents say the current selling rate for such a flat is $500,000.

Is that a typo??

kane
07-07-10, 12:52
Punggol oversubscribe by 12 times as of now, so the buyers are accepting the ‘subsidized housing’ at this price level. Location in the North, prices are also heading North, so HDB how to dip leh?

the draw of "waterfront" living. i think the main draw should be it's proximity to the mrt station. if i was looking for my first house, i would have subscribed for that project. the stacking reminds me a little of interlace. ha.

devilplate
07-07-10, 12:55
the draw of "waterfront" living. i think the main draw should be it's proximity to the mrt station. if i was looking for my first house, i would have subscribed for that project. the stacking reminds me a little of interlace. ha.

but the problem : ppl complain bto not affordable...and yet they choose to ballot for a flat which cost 100k more den another bto project. tat goes to show how affordable BTO is.

so to those who keep saying housing not affordable...simply LOSERSSSSSSS ....hahaha

bargain hunter
07-07-10, 13:11
when i saw a picture of the model, the first thing that popped up on my mind was also interlace and its courtyards...

bargain hunter
07-07-10, 13:12
there most definitely is still affordable housing available, just less desirable that's all.

but the problem : ppl complain bto not affordable...and yet they choose to ballot for a flat which cost 100k more den another bto project. tat goes to show how affordable BTO is.

so to those who keep saying housing not affordable...simply LOSERSSSSSSS ....hahaha

kane
07-07-10, 13:13

400+k still affordable lah, 10 years ago, punggol exec flats were going for about $350k, so the climb isn't as steep. those 600+k ones at dawson maybe border on being ex and are probably more suitable for those young couples who are already bordering on the 8k income ceiling.

and frankly, 10 years ago, if you ask me to move to punggol, i would hesitate, cos there was a lot of infrastructure still not up and will take a while. now when you see the amount of BTOs they are going to complete in the next 5 years, seriously, it's THE place to be cos they'll start to put in all the retail components like a mall pretty soon to support the fast expanding population there.

look at sengkang today, that will be the point of reference.

kane
07-07-10, 13:16
there most definitely is still affordable housing available, just less desirable that's all.

i think it's more desirable than yew tee, simei or bukit batok if you ask me.

i've really quite surprised at the cutting edge design of the HDB nowadays. Sky terrace @ dawson is a good example, but the size of the 5 bedroom really sucks...

devilplate
07-07-10, 13:21
the facade of this waterfront bto suxxx

pls take a closer look at the model....got silly duno wat kind of wall (pigeon perch) refer to h88 website...

devilplate
07-07-10, 13:23
400+k still affordable lah, 10 years ago, punggol exec flats were going for about $350k, so the climb isn't as steep. those 600+k ones at dawson maybe border on being ex and are probably more suitable for those young couples who are already bordering on the 8k income ceiling.

r u sure 10yrs ago punggol bto so ex at 350k? pls compare bto with bto prices...:tsk-tsk:

my fren bot the buangkok bto 5rm flat only at less den 200k about 6-7yrs ago

kane
07-07-10, 13:32
r u sure 10yrs ago punggol bto so ex at 350k? pls compare bto with bto prices...:tsk-tsk:

my fren bot the buangkok bto 5rm flat only at less den 200k about 6-7yrs ago

got ah, those days, they don't do BTO, they build in anticipation of demand. and the exec flats come with the basic furnishing like floor tiles if i remember correctly, they are also bigger, hence the higher price tag.

my friend who also has a buangkok BTO got his 4rm flat for about 190k, the 5rm one should be just over 200k for the higher floors.

focus
07-07-10, 13:48
HDB will continue rising for a very simple reason: no supply.

When a buyer wants a flat in Ang Mo Kio, the government offers a flat in Punggol and prices it at Ang Mo Kio.

At my place, the HDB agent poster since I started looking last year have been increasing from $500k till now , it's $700k. But whether can see at 700k is another question but sure is an indicator of potential seller's price range since agent need to put an attractive price to entice the seller's out.

Think will sell the HDB soon and put the money into another property.

gfoo
07-07-10, 14:59
seems like there are many many firm believers who put their faith in the continued stability/upwards trend of mass market, and that it's supported by the HDB market.

lol

bargain hunter
07-07-10, 15:05
i think bukit batok is alright vs punggol but its price is obscene. :)

i've really quite surprised at the cutting edge design of the HDB nowadays. Sky terrace @ dawson is a good example, but the size of the 5 bedroom really sucks...

bargain hunter
07-07-10, 15:07
h88 referred to the balcony as pigeon perch. yeah, i thought we should be happy that hdb is providing affordable housing in punggol. who knows all go crazy about waterfront instead hahaha.

the facade of this waterfront bto suxxx

pls take a closer look at the model....got silly duno wat kind of wall (pigeon perch) refer to h88 website...

maisonjai
07-07-10, 16:31
now public transport is distance base cal, soon car will also be distance base cal. I wonder how will these affect ppty prices in the future, will far flung places price dip or it will drive RCR price further upwards?

my pick will be more of the latter.

kane
07-07-10, 18:33
h88 referred to the balcony as pigeon perch. yeah, i thought we should be happy that hdb is providing affordable housing in punggol. who knows all go crazy about waterfront instead hahaha.

it's HDB's answer to the waterbank.

so with the revamp at bishan park, all those hdb flats there suddenly attain waterfront living status??

august
08-07-10, 00:31

the "modern" design is meant to make buyers feel like they r getting their money's worth. Location wise it is punggol... c'mon this is like the stop of the mrt line lol

jlrx
08-07-10, 00:34
seems like there are many many firm believers who put their faith in the continued stability/upwards trend of mass market, and that it's supported by the HDB market.

lol

It's what the Government termed "social compact" - we support PAP; PAP supports HDB; HDB supports mass market.

Last time there was a loophole of HDB oversupply which caused prices to fall, but now the loophole has been closed with BTO.

Hence I can't think of anything that can cause HDB prices to fall. HDB forms the bedrock of the property market.

august
08-07-10, 01:39
It's what the Government termed "social compact" - we support PAP; PAP supports HDB; HDB supports mass market.

Last time there was a loophole of HDB oversupply which caused prices to fall, but now the loophole has been closed with BTO.

Hence I can't think of anything that can cause HDB prices to fall. HDB forms the bedrock of the property market.

a prolonged economic downturn can bring about a fall, starting with the resale mkt... up and down, part of the cycle

Property_Owner
08-07-10, 21:52
I vote liao!

Great mind think alike

kane
08-07-10, 23:25
the "modern" design is meant to make buyers feel like they r getting their money's worth. Location wise it is punggol... c'mon this is like the stop of the mrt line lol

to get from this end of the mrt to dhoby ghaut is faster than going from yew tee to dhoby ghaut.

so it's really not that bad. when you have a mega sports complex in sengkang and an upcoming mall most likely at your doorstep, there's not much not like about it.

but if it was 10years ago, it would definitely have been a NO NO.

Komo
08-07-10, 23:45
it seems that everywhere uncle and auntie are no more talking about stocks liao, the hot topic now is properties! Everyone's head also hang high high like big boss as HDB value had gone up high!

azeoprop
08-07-10, 23:55
Maybe we should invite Paul the Octopus to predict for us.... :rolleyes:

kane
09-07-10, 00:12
it seems that everywhere uncle and auntie are no more talking about stocks liao, the hot topic now is properties! Everyone's head also hang high high like big boss as HDB value had gone up high!

hdb value high, condo they want to upgrade to also high, zero sum game.

august
09-07-10, 01:49
to get from this end of the mrt to dhoby ghaut is faster than going from yew tee to dhoby ghaut.

so it's really not that bad. when you have a mega sports complex in sengkang and an upcoming mall most likely at your doorstep, there's not much not like about it.

but if it was 10years ago, it would definitely have been a NO NO.

my point is why compare a far flung location with another equally far flung location? just go for the central location ~ :o

kane
09-07-10, 14:44
the point I was making is that punggol isn't tat bad a location as it was 10 years, and my advice for newly wed couples is give that place some serious thought. cos some of them complain a central location like dawson is out of their reach. since the place cannot adjust itself to their budget, then it's up to them to adjust their budget to the location.

Alan Shearer
09-07-10, 22:26
Should be obvious no?

:doh: