PDA

View Full Version : Tenancy ended

sfwoo
07-07-10, 21:05
Tenancy ended, I went up to meet ex-tenants to collect keys and walk around the apartment...

They managed to break 3 of 5 lampshades(glass), impossible to replace as the lamp is 6 years old and replacement shades probably not made anymore. They drilled holes into the wall to hand LCD TV, pictures and told me they had no time to putty over and paint back for me. They noticed some water marks in the false ceiling in the bath room months ago, but ignored it, and when I looked...the false ceiling falling to bits with large hole already. They also managed to misplace one air cond remote, and replaced with another generic one, that does not work.

Looks like the rental deposit of one month's rent is not enough to cover.

And they have flown out of the country...

devilplate
07-07-10, 21:08
Tenancy ended, I went up to meet ex-tenants to collect keys and walk around the apartment...

They managed to break 3 of 5 lampshades(glass), impossible to replace as the lamp is 6 years old and replacement shades probably not made anymore. They drilled holes into the wall to hand LCD TV, pictures and told me they had no time to putty over and paint back for me. They noticed some water marks in the false ceiling in the bath room months ago, but ignored it, and when I looked...the false ceiling falling to bits with large hole already. They also managed to misplace one air cond remote, and replaced with another generic one, that does not work.

Looks like the rental deposit of one month's rent is not enough to cover.

And they have flown out of the country...

tats not so bad...i kana worse den tat....very very bad till i goto spend 30k to reno the whole hse(imagine tat keep cats!!!)....tats y i always demand 2mths deposit regardless 1 or 2 yrs tenure.

sfwoo
07-07-10, 21:15
tats not so bad...i kana worse den tat....very very bad till i goto spend 30k to reno the whole hse(imagine tat keep cats!!!)....tats y i always demand 2mths deposit regardless 1 or 2 yrs tenure.

Wah!
$30K!
2 months' deposit also cannot cover, unless rental was $15K pm?

kane
07-07-10, 21:16
shucks... that's terrible.

silver023
07-07-10, 21:54
Shucks... sorry to hear about that. Maybe only to lease to companies next time?

bargain hunter
07-07-10, 22:56
my sympathies. some pple are terrible tenants. :mad: but actually really can't tell beforehand.

devilplate
07-07-10, 23:05
the worse part is to hack the aircon piping as it is concealed....tenants will on 24hrs and pipes will start to sweat and they nvr service the aircon for 2 whole damn yrs! imagine my poor walls and bathroom ceilings:banghead:

anw, for tat unit i decide to do a full reno....kitchen, flooring, pipes and bathrms...tats y cost me 30k...:(

kane
07-07-10, 23:43
actually, 2 months rental really not enough especially when some of the cost of materials are going up. should make it like 4months security deposit.

proud owner
08-07-10, 00:06
the worse part is to hack the aircon piping as it is concealed....tenants will on 24hrs and pipes will start to sweat and they nvr service the aircon for 2 whole damn yrs! imagine my poor walls and bathroom ceilings:banghead:

anw, for tat unit i decide to do a full reno....kitchen, flooring, pipes and bathrms...tats y cost me 30k...:(

consider this .. i did it and worked ..

i mark up the rental a little more..and get the aricon service contract myself ..

that way i know the aircon is being serviced well ..

DC33_2008
08-07-10, 09:37
Have a tenant who switch air-conditioner 24/7 and complained of condensates from the air-conditioners. Ask them to service air-condition more frequently like once every 2 months instead of quarterly.

The Tenancy agreement should include a clause where the tenant after moving in for one month of to forward a copy of the air-con service contract to me. We can at least track from time to time.

proud owner
08-07-10, 10:00
Have a tenant who switch air-conditioner 24/7 and complained of condensates from the air-conditioners. Ask them to service air-condition more frequently like once every 2 months instead of quarterly.

The Tenancy agreement should include a clause where the tenant after moving in for one month of to forward a copy of the air-con service contract to me. We can at least track from time to time.

one drawback is that ...they may have the contract but dont follow up ..

and aircon service company ..if tenant dont call ..they also dont care

mcmlxxvi
08-07-10, 10:05
Your house is your most treasured asset - make it a point to try to visit one in a while to check on it. If the tenants are around and not travelling, drop by on pretext of giving mooncakes etc etc. That's what public holidays are for! LOL

proud owner
08-07-10, 10:12
Your house is your most treasured asset - make it a point to try to visit one in a while to check on it. If the tenants are around and not travelling, drop by on pretext of giving mooncakes etc etc. That's what public holidays are for! LOL

pros and cons ...

getting to close to tenant subject yourself to.."as friends, can do this do that for me"

i do agree that once in a while ..just drive by and take a look( landed) from outside

since i am oversea..i visited it once during home leave at lunar new year..
guess what ?

tenant told me " i hope you are not moving back to singapore too soon..cos i am not planning to move out yet"

good that they like my house ...

i am quite blessed .. my tenants so far have been really good.

the current one even emailed me ..about the Opennet fibre optic installation .. and forwarded me all the forms etc ..so that they (tenant) can oversee the works..

meanwhile my friend's tenant ..couldnt be bothered and the free installation lapsed ... he now had to pay out of own pocket

DC33_2008
08-07-10, 10:17
one drawback is that ...they may have the contract but dont follow up ..

and aircon service company ..if tenant dont call ..they also dont care

Can followup with the contractor.

mcmlxxvi
08-07-10, 10:18
It's really depending on the tenants. I had a really good polish tenant - she took care of the place even nicer than myself! Even while staying in it, the place is machiam showflat condition. Totally impressed.

DC33_2008
08-07-10, 10:22
Corporate lease is still better than personal lease.
pros and cons ...

getting to close to tenant subject yourself to.."as friends, can do this do that for me"

i do agree that once in a while ..just drive by and take a look( landed) from outside

since i am oversea..i visited it once during home leave at lunar new year..
guess what ?

tenant told me " i hope you are not moving back to singapore too soon..cos i am not planning to move out yet"

good that they like my house ...

i am quite blessed .. my tenants so far have been really good.

the current one even emailed me ..about the Opennet fibre optic installation .. and forwarded me all the forms etc ..so that they (tenant) can oversee the works..

meanwhile my friend's tenant ..couldnt be bothered and the free installation lapsed ... he now had to pay out of own pocket

proud owner
08-07-10, 10:22
It's really depending on the tenants. I had a really good polish tenant - she took care of the place even nicer than myself! Even while staying in it, the place is machiam showflat condition. Totally impressed.

very true

my first tenant was a american ID .. they decorated my house damn nice ..
i took pics
i later used the pics to show my next foreign tenants who havent even arrived ..
they rented my place based on the pic only

sfwoo
08-07-10, 11:58
Next tenancy lined up is a corporate lease.

I don't know if it will work out better, as in tenants caring for the place a little bit.

But, better than leave it vacant.

kane
08-07-10, 13:20
very true

my first tenant was a american ID .. they decorated my house damn nice ..
i took pics
i later used the pics to show my next foreign tenants who havent even arrived ..
they rented my place based on the pic only

fantastic, you got an ID as a tenant.

mcmlxxvi
08-07-10, 15:21
In that line of argument, I should get a professional who works in cleaning services (or even cleaning ah ma) to rent mine... or someone who works with property developer.... or someone with OCD... hypochondriac...etc

kane
08-07-10, 16:56
you have to get those big boss ones, cos when they use your unit to entertain, they need to show by example. there's where you get the collateral benefits.

Property_Owner
08-07-10, 22:00

Pal, you also rent out Ardmore Park?

Property_Owner
08-07-10, 22:02
consider this .. i did it and worked ..

i mark up the rental a little more..and get the aricon service contract myself ..

that way i know the aircon is being serviced well ..

Agree lor, I'm doing this too. Air-con spoilt it's ok, just that for the trunking pipe will cost a bomb.

jc
08-07-10, 22:08
Hi All

Have u had tenants who don't take care of our rooms parquet flooring and leave deep stretched marks on it? OR it may be damaged by tenant's movers who stretched the floor while moving. Do u deduct from the deposit to get it varnished/restored or is this counted as "normal wear & tear"? Tks :)

devilplate
08-07-10, 22:50
Hi All

Have u had tenants who don't take care of our rooms parquet flooring and leave deep stretched marks on it? OR it may be damaged by tenant's movers who stretched the floor while moving. Do u deduct from the deposit to get it varnished/restored or is this counted as "normal wear & tear"? Tks :)

vy common. mine caused by CATS scratching b4. but most of the time, tenant themselves use roller chairs tat destroy the parquet flooring. nowadays, i begin very naggy...will tell them to take care this and tat...like an oldman:o

slight scratches goto accept it as wear and tear. deep ones u can charge them. just hold back the deposit and get a contractor to quote. just grind and varnish will do. :D

devilplate
08-07-10, 22:51
Pal, you also rent out Ardmore Park?

bo ardmore wor:o

all my rental below 10k pm:o

proud owner
08-07-10, 22:56
Hi All

the line is very fine .. between wear and tear , and carelessness

a lot to do with luck what kind of tenant u get ..

best Avoid China bird/duck ...damn terok .. when the leave ..they can take some small items you dont even know

my friend's tenant .. duplicate the key .. hand over that time ..check all ok ..

then tenant leave .. next week went back to unit .. the TV and ceiling lamp also kana stolen

no prove that its the tenant lah .. but who else got key ?? cant be agent right ?

devilplate
08-07-10, 22:59
the line is very fine .. between wear and tear , and carelessness

a lot to do with luck what kind of tenant u get ..

best Avoid China bird/duck ...damn terok .. when the leave ..they can take some small items you dont even know

my friend's tenant .. duplicate the key .. hand over that time ..check all ok ..

then tenant leave .. next week went back to unit .. the TV and ceiling lamp also kana stolen

no prove that its the tenant lah .. but who else got key ?? cant be agent right ?

lol. scary:D

proud owner
08-07-10, 23:17
lol. scary:D

ahha seriously ..damn jialat ...

then again there are really nasty landlord..

my expat colleague rented a landed at holland area ..

the wife put sticker hook to hang drying clothe .. when they left ..the LL demanded that they remove the hooks( ?? )
they did ..but left behind small amt of spongy white sticker .. like that also kana deposit deducted ..

also ..the rubbish truck reverse and hit the rubbish bin and cracked it ..
LL also charged him

poor man kept the house so well .. in the end still kana penalised for ridiculous things

kane
08-07-10, 23:19
really down to luck the tenant you get.

devilplate
08-07-10, 23:22
there was once i nid to chased out my tenant after the condo mgmt told me regular activites like gambling etc going on....zzzzz

kane
09-07-10, 00:25
there was once i nid to chased out my tenant after the condo mgmt told me regular activites like gambling etc going on....zzzzz

have to do policing work as well...

sfwoo
09-07-10, 09:41

Gambling is one thing...entertaining different men in the same day is another.

China chickens, better avoid.

peterng8
09-07-10, 09:42
have to do policing work as well...

I think the rental done by agent only is not so good...maybe if the rental unit is far away from the owner and for the owner to meet the tenant also not very convenient...so leave it solely to the agent and agent just close the case and get commisson and that it...

sfwoo
09-07-10, 20:54
If potential tenant want to keep small dog, how?

I have ever seen ticks infestation before, very difficult to eradicate, cos the ticks hide in all the cracks and corners, and they can survive without a meal(of dog blood) for years.

peterng8
11-07-10, 11:14

I have ever seen ticks infestation before, very difficult to eradicate, cos the ticks hide in all the cracks and corners, and they can survive without a meal(of dog blood) for years.

thanks for the point that you bring up....

devilplate
11-07-10, 11:25

i hf dog too...ticks can really survive for yrs without food? :scared-4:
gd thing is, ticks dun bite humans...fleas DOES!

ticks, fleas,termites, bedbugs, lice etc etc...haizzz....just get pest control lor:D

state in ur tenancy agreement lor...no pets allowed. hope the tenants will abide lor...lol...or dun rent to locals/PR...foreigners usually will not keep pets as they come and go

peterng8
11-07-10, 11:29

ticks, fleas,termites, bedbugs, lice etc etc...haizzz....just get pest control lor:D

state in ur tenancy agreement lor...no pets allowed. hope the tenants will abide lor...lol...or dun rent to locals/PR...foreigners usually will not keep pets as they come and go

I think people will keep pet regardless of whether foreigners or local/PR...if they love animals...

devilplate
11-07-10, 11:31
I think people will keep pet regardless of whether foreigners or local/PR...if they love animals...

bcoz dog/cat lifespan easily longer den their stay. unless they keep 1-2yrs den abandon:hell-hath-no-fury:

sfwoo
11-07-10, 11:31

Sorry, ticks do bite humans.

I had the unfortunate experience to find a tick engorged with blood attached to my baby's eyelid, feasting on my baby's blood.

And ticks not only don't need to eat regularly, they even breathe very little, making insecticide sprays less effective against them, as they can hold their breath!!!

sfwoo
11-07-10, 11:32

Yeah, a lot of ang moh tenants got dogs.

peterng8
11-07-10, 11:35
bcoz dog/cat lifespan easily longer den their stay. unless they keep 1-2yrs den abandon:hell-hath-no-fury:

:D than I better tell them not to do it....as I am animal lover....

peterng8
11-07-10, 11:37

I had the unfortunate experience to find a tick engorged with blood attached to my baby's eyelid, feasting on my baby's blood.

And ticks not only don't need to eat regularly, they even breathe very little, making insecticide sprays less effective against them, as they can hold their breath!!!

wow shit...this is horror as who know next tenant may get the health concern from the previous tenant who got dog with ticks...:scared-1:

devilplate
11-07-10, 11:40

isit! ur poor baby:scared-4:

according to this website...ticks does feed on humans! lifespan 2 yrs without feeding:scared-4:

my dog sure kena few ticks whenever i walk him! but den, got many families with children and dogs leh...

sfwoo
11-07-10, 11:44
[quote=devilplate]isit! ur poor baby:scared-4:

[quote]

Actually, the parents of the baby were more upset than the baby.

Babies are "blur like sotong". Slept thru the whole ordeal of removing the tick...

Wild Falcon
11-07-10, 12:17
I think if you have a dog, the dog will get ticks at some point in time, unless you wanna confine the dog at home which is sad. Just use frontline lor :) Singapore is not a very pet-friendly place - so landlords don't be so fussy lah, dogs really bring a lot of joy into one's lives - a tick here and there is not a big deal. Most dogs are more well-behaved than rowdy toddlers who leave pen marks on the walls and ride their toy cars around your parquet...

isit! ur poor baby:scared-4:

according to this website...ticks does feed on humans! lifespan 2 yrs without feeding:scared-4:

my dog sure kena few ticks whenever i walk him! but den, got many families with children and dogs leh...

mcmlxxvi
12-07-10, 09:49
I think we are all brought up too 'cleanly'. Our fathers and mothers used to be so strong and don't fall ill easily. Pets are good to have around the house, plants too. Let the kids play in the mud, wrestle with the pets etc. Otherwise will become like the teens nowadays a bit only allergic to this allergic to that. Before we know it you get people allergic to air. I already know someone allergic to sun from army last time and it is REALLY allergy not chao geng allergy.