PDA

View Full Version : Katong Mall gets facelift - $60m makeover will give old mall cinema, upmarket brands

mcmlxxvi
09-07-10, 22:31
Katong Mall gets facelift - $60m makeover will give old mall cinema, upmarket brands

Jul 9, 2010

Katong Mall gets facelift

$60m makeover will give old mall a cinema, mix of F&B outlets and upmarket brands

By Fiona Low

The current five-storey building will have an additional floor built at the top to house a Golden Village cineplex. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

THE 20-year-old Katong Mall in East Coast Road will undergo a $60 million facelift.

When it reopens in the third quarter of next year, the mall will have about 150 shops including a cinema, retail outlets as well as a myriad of food and beverage (F&B) outlets, pubs and bars.

The current five-storey building will have an additional floor built at the top to house a Golden Village cineplex.

There will also be an additional basement level to ease the building's parking squeeze. The extra level will boost the maximum capacity of its carpark to 310 spaces, from the current 179.

The mall will also have a Peranakan-themed concept to fit the neighbourhood, which has historically been a Peranakan enclave in Singapore. The management said it will also consider bringing in tenants that tie in with the theme, such as Peranakan restaurants.

The new look for Katong Mall is the developer's overall plan to jazz up the building to appeal to the affluent working professionals living in the area.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of the Straits Times.

mcmlxxvi
09-07-10, 22:40
Good news for Tembeling / East Coast Rd junction developments!!!

Eg. Tembeling Residence, Parc Seabreeze, Coralis, Moda

proud owner
09-07-10, 22:42

why got shopping means good ??

walk there on hot days to save on aircon at home ?

pod
09-07-10, 22:50
Wah... ppty in that vicinity will go even higher! :scared-4:

:D finally got cinema in that area... hehe...

mcmlxxvi
09-07-10, 22:53

Nothing better to say just shut up.

If need air con no need en-bloc Katong Mall - the current one also got aircon.

proud owner
09-07-10, 22:57
Nothing better to say just shut up.

If need air con no need en-bloc Katong Mall - the current one also got aircon.

wow so defensive

no wonder i never like east coast ... thought it was the cramped small lanes that i dislike ... now i know ..its the people ... bunch of hot tempered, short sighted , mountain tortoise , frog in the well ... never see cinemas and shopping before ..

good bye ...

devilplate
09-07-10, 23:35
chill....

i mention on the thread: city sq that a mall just next door provides ultra convenience! self contained!:D

got free a/c and perhaps free WiFi as well?:tongue3:

jencrs
09-07-10, 23:44
wah all so fierce.

Btw, is there any place I can find out if there are future plans to facelift/refurbish a certain shopping centre? I've read Bukit Timah Plaza had plans from BT, but can't seem to find any news about it anywhere else.

Lou
11-07-10, 12:36

comeon get a life bro...you know you sound really bitter.:cheers6:

cashrich
11-07-10, 13:02
wah all so fierce.

Btw, is there any place I can find out if there are future plans to facelift/refurbish a certain shopping centre? I've read Bukit Timah Plaza had plans from BT, but can't seem to find any news about it anywhere else.

haha... check out owner's website... annual report or those who are connected.

Katong mall was said to be for sale and redevelopment... new facelift would mean no done deals...

marktkt22
12-07-10, 00:18

indeed good new for tembeling residence...heee:)

proud owner
12-07-10, 00:44
comeon get a life bro...you know you sound really bitter.:cheers6:

its true ... if i live in tembeling i would go there for the aircon

the lanes are so narrow .. the landed hses there hardly have any car park space ..
the conservation hses there, owners cannot open windows cos there walk way is common pavements...

its so hot in there ...

devilplate
12-07-10, 00:49
its true ... if i live in tembeling i would go there for the aircon

the lanes are so narrow .. the landed hses there hardly have any car park space ..
the conservation hses there, owners cannot open windows cos there walk way is common pavements...

its so hot in there ...

lol..tats funny:D

perhaps free WIFI too!

Property_Owner
12-07-10, 00:54
wow so defensive

no wonder i never like east coast ... thought it was the cramped small lanes that i dislike ... now i know ..its the people ... bunch of hot tempered, short sighted , mountain tortoise , frog in the well ... never see cinemas and shopping before ..

good bye ...

Pal, not all east people behave e same.... at least i believe i'm a fierce looking guy but kind at heart katong boy :ashamed1:

proud owner
12-07-10, 00:55
Pal, not all east people behave e same.... at least i believe i'm a fierce looking guy but kind at heart katong boy :ashamed1:

ahah

sorry i generalised ....

there are always good and nice people

proud owner
12-07-10, 00:56

so still in S Africa ?

who will win the WC ? Spain or Holland ?

who will score the first goal ? Villa or Snejder ?

devilplate
12-07-10, 00:59
have faith on the mighty ah paul.:D

i wana bet hol to win but dare not go against the mighty!:D

proud owner
12-07-10, 01:01
have faith on the mighty ah paul.:D

i wana bet hol to win but dare not go against the mighty!:D

my favorite team is out ( black jersey)

so i go for the Orange

devilplate
12-07-10, 01:10
btw, i haven see any ppl won $ from this WC...hehe

i haven watch a single match ! haha but gona record the final and watch tmr...:D

Property_Owner
12-07-10, 01:10
so still in S Africa ?

i buy holland...show hand ......spain pain in ass.. make me lose money for that german game....

devilplate
12-07-10, 01:12
i buy holland...show hand ......spain pain in ass.. make me lose money for that german game....

gd luck

will ah paul get fried? stay tuned.:D

proud owner
12-07-10, 01:12
btw, i haven see any ppl won $ from this WC...hehe

i haven watch a single match ! haha but gona record the final and watch tmr...:D

why record ???

its going to start soon ...

devilplate
12-07-10, 01:16
why record ???

i slping soon.

guys enjoy the game! i support HOL! (didnt bet)

Property_Owner
12-07-10, 01:18
why record ???

lol, i never watch a recorded or replay soccer game...the fun is off

Property_Owner
12-07-10, 01:26
so still in S Africa ?

still here pal...rubbing shoulders with some vvip...making friends = more $$$$$

proud owner
12-07-10, 01:28
still here pal...rubbing shoulders with some vvip...making friends = more $$$$$

well done

clear your private mail box bro

cashrich
12-07-10, 01:55
hOLLand Chicks and Spanish Cocks!~

The Chicks always win, cock jut shoot at hole.

Wild Falcon
12-07-10, 12:35
The old mall quite nice what! It has organically developed into an education hub - a bit chaotic but rather charming. I never get it here. Surely property value is NOT the only thing people care about? If someone wants to build a typical shopping mall with the standard shops like G2000 opposite my house, I will protest..... seriously. I don't think an area should be overly-engineered with "high-end" or "Peranakan" shops. These cookie-cutter shopping malls are making Singapore very boring.

99% Peranakans NOT.

cashrich
12-07-10, 18:32
haha... check out owner's website... annual report or those who are connected.

Katong mall was said to be for sale and redevelopment... new facelift would mean no done deals...

Correct myself... done deals!

The landlord of the former Katong Mall, which will reopen in Q3 2011, has unveiled three key tenants, which include Golden Village Multiplex, Market Place by Cold Storage and the BreadTalk Group.

Following a $60-million facelift, the tenants will occupy 32 percent of retail space at Katong Mall, said landlord Perennial Katong Retail Trust.

The six-storey mall will have a 207,000-sq-ft net lettable area, an increase of 20 percent in space from the existing site. The revamped mall will fetch a rent of $12 psf on average. More than 30 percent of the mall’s tenants are expected to be food and beverage outlets. The mall will also increase its parking space by more than 70 percent.

The mall was sold in November to Perennial Katong Retail Trust for $247.55 million.

Golden Cape Investments, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tuan Sing Holdings, secured a 100 percent ownership of the mall through a successful bid amounting to $219 million in a collective sale in June 2008. Before that, Golden Cape already owned 72 percent of the total strata floor area of Katong Mall.

cashrich
12-07-10, 18:35
hOLLand Chicks and Spanish Cocks!~

The Chicks always win, cock jut shoot at hole.

wrong prediction.. paul the octopus can do a better job... please kill the bird.

watched the whole match and plenty of yellow cards shown...

Better luck next time.

mcmlxxvi
13-07-10, 16:29
New Katong Mall attracts 3 key tenants

By NICHOLAS YEO

A NEW Peranakan-themed mall will soon take the place of the former Katong Mall and mark the debut mall for Pua Seck Guan's Perennial Real Estate in Singapore.

Mr Pua is CEO of Perennial Real Estate and formerly CEO of Capitaland Retail. The mall, located at the junction of East Coast Road and Joo Chiat Road, will have a net lettable area (NLA) of 207,000 sq ft, 20 per cent larger than before.

It has already secured three key tenants. Cold Storage's Market Place will take up about 13,000 sq ft of space. Meanwhile, Golden Village multiplex will take up 30,000 sq ft, boasting eight halls, two of which will be Gold Class Halls. This will be a first in the eastern part of Singapore. The third key tenant is George Quek's BreadTalk group, which will open a 15,000 sq ft Food Republic Food Atrium and 7,500 sq ft of restaurants such as BreadTalk, Din Tai Fung and Toastbox.

The space leased by these three tenants will amount to about 32 per cent of the NLA. The mall will feature six levels of retail - basement 1 and from level 1 to 5, with an atrium on level 2. Basements 2 and 3 will have 310 carpark lots.

The mall is owned by Perennial Katong Retail trust, a private trust constituted for the purpose of buying Katong Mall. Investors in the trust include Alpha Investment Partners Limited's Asia Macro Trends Fund, which holds a majority stake of 77 per cent. It is a unit of Keppel Corp. Other investors include BreadTalk Group Limited and Mr Pua, among others. The mall will be managed by Perennial (Singapore) Retail Management Pte Ltd.

Katong Mall is currently undergoing redevelopment and is expected to be ready by the third quarter of 2011. The contract is worth $60 million and has been awarded to SEF Construction Pte Ltd.

'The expected rent is about $12 psf per month on average,' said Mr Pua.

The mall, designed by DP Architects, will reflect the Peranakan culture that surrounds the mall and seamlessly integrate itself with the many F&B outlets around the area. For example, the first two floors will be dedicated to F&B and bars that will operate till extended closing hours that will complement the surroundings and the cinema upstairs.

Mr Pua believes that the new mall will do better than the former strata-titled Katong Mall because it will come under single ownership, where Perennial Retail Management will be able to control the tenant mix and positioning.

About 30 per cent of the mall space is expected to be designated F&B with another 30 per cent dedicated to fashion and accessories.

This article was first published in The Business Times.

Miow
19-07-10, 08:51
Anybody knows the current status of Katong Shopping Centre's enbloc? Seems to have gone quiet.

mcmlxxvi
19-07-10, 16:40
The old mall quite nice what! It has organically developed into an education hub - a bit chaotic but rather charming. I never get it here. Surely property value is NOT the only thing people care about? If someone wants to build a typical shopping mall with the standard shops like G2000 opposite my house, I will protest..... seriously. I don't think an area should be overly-engineered with "high-end" or "Peranakan" shops. These cookie-cutter shopping malls are making Singapore very boring.

99% Peranakans NOT.

Ey, maybe the G2000 will have special like P label (P for Peranakan)... like G2000 Black liddat.

marktkt22
14-08-10, 15:39
construction on the new mall has started few months back..hope it be ready by Jun next year..

urban
07-03-11, 09:27
Now named as 112 Katong.
I find the I12 (I want to).... cheesy.