PDA

View Full Version : FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

Pages : [1] 2

rattydrama
06-09-10, 15:45
I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list

Within 1km to good school
Freehold Full condo facility
Near MRT preferred and within 5 minutes walk.
Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
Prefer central areas, Bt Timah or D11
Min 2 bedder with liveable size of 1000 sq ft. 3Bed would be ideal.
For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp) BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

How to improve the chance?

How much building fund donation needed to improve the chance?

Latio
06-09-10, 16:52
Watten estate condo, 19 shelford both less than 1 km to NYPS.

azeoprop
06-09-10, 16:59
U might want to study this primary school ranking list. :D

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/singapore-primary-schools-ranked-academic-excellence

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/singapores-top-primary-schools

peterng8
06-09-10, 17:04
I have a boy who is now 2.5 years old. Like many parents I would like to enroll him to a good primary school.

My wish list

Budget around 1m. (don’t scold me if budget too little, feel free to suggest the right price)
For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp)BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

currently with this price , very difficult FH and some more near MRT next door(within 5 mins is next door ) with 3 + 1...also usually near mrt are 99 ....:2cents: :2cents:

Regulators
06-09-10, 18:52
can try king albert park, near pei hwa presbytarian. if you dont mind hdb then those hdbs in toh yi drive even nearer

mantrix
06-09-10, 20:26
If you are an old boy of a good primary school then you get first priority and you need not stay that near....:cool:

I think also there are many FH condos near good schools but the main question is what budget you have...

devilplate
06-09-10, 21:04

My wish list

For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp)BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

1k sqft and 1mil quantum.....u expecting 1kpsf for FH in D21,11 near MRT and full condo....wah....i aso want if u can find one more for me:p

rattydrama
06-09-10, 22:59
what will be the right price? I don't mind old condo. Thanks ya.

1k sqft and 1mil quantum.....u expecting 1kpsf for FH in D21,11 near MRT and full condo....wah....i aso want if u can find one more for me:p

Regulators
06-09-10, 23:01
actually to guarantee surefire, just live within 1km and volunteer in RC/CC and your MP will make sure you get a place...lol

rattydrama
06-09-10, 23:20
To Latio
Thanks for the info will check it out.

To azeoprop
Thanks for the link. This is really helpful, will solve some of my questions. The ranking of Nangyang primary (mixed schoo rightl?) is so high and must be very popular. Not sure got any chance ~ will read more.

To peterng8
Not considering LH which means I must up my budget. Hope can fish out a good bargain during this period.

To Regulators
Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out as well. Cannot buy HDB liao cos also holding another private ppty.

To mantrix
Unfortunately not old boys. I am hoping to pay off quickly so having the budget of 1m.

I dont mind central areas, I keep my options open at this moment.

Regulators
06-09-10, 23:23
let us wait for market to cool further before you jumping in.

To Latio
Thanks for the info will check it out.

To azeoprop
Thanks for the link. This is really helpful, will solve some of my questions. The ranking of Nangyang primary (mixed schoo rightl?) is so high and must be very popular. Not sure got any chance ~ will read more.

To peterng8
Not considering LH which means I must up my budget. Hope can fish out a good bargain during this period.

To Regulators
Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out as well. Cannot buy HDB liao cos also holding another private ppty.

To mantrix
Unfortunately not old boys. I am hoping to pay off quickly so having the budget of 1m.

I dont mind central areas, I keep my options open at this moment.

devilplate
06-09-10, 23:34
what will be the right price? I don't mind old condo. Thanks ya.

how about signature park....according to onemap.sg: pei hwa and bukit timah pri within 1km

not within 5mins walk to mrt though

http://www.onemap.sg/index.html

gfoo
06-09-10, 23:37

My wish list

For family of 3 + 1 maid (temp) BTW, can any parents share my concern – it is difficult to enroll your 1st child to a good primary school even you are within 1km?

lol i have EXACTLY the same problem

gfoo
06-09-10, 23:38
how about signature park....according to onemap.sg: pei hwa and bukit timah pri within 1km

not within 5mins walk to mrt though

http://www.onemap.sg/index.html

they are not considered good schools i think - never heard of them

devilplate
06-09-10, 23:39

actually i not sure...bo kids wor:o

but onemap website is useful to chk out ppty near ur 'desired' schools:cheers6:

gfoo
06-09-10, 23:43
actually i not sure...bo kids wor:o

but onemap website is useful to chk out ppty near ur 'desired' schools:cheers6:

i use this http://www.elite.com.sg/primary-schools.page

not bad..

mine still some time off, so diligently putting aside the 'donation' monies - about $100k adjusted for inflation as a start i believe. Now looking at either grange or robin

azeoprop
06-09-10, 23:52
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/singapore-primary-schools-ranked-popularity

From the data in the link, some of the schools almost 4 times oversubscribed haa haa... :eek: balloting required for within 1km.

gfoo
06-09-10, 23:58
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/singapore-primary-schools-ranked-popularity

From the data in the link, some of the schools almost 4 times oversubscribed haa haa... :eek: balloting required for within 1km.

thanks, that's really useful! hate this uncertainty in primary schools - would be better if the govt allow citizens to choose what type of primary education they want instead of forcing all of us to choose local. Why only the PRs and FTs can circumvent the system? turban

bargain hunter
07-09-10, 12:13
Pei Hwa is a good school but not a top school, quite good and with a consistent track record already. :)

donations may not work since singaporeans are now cash rich. schools like nanyang, even stay 1km, volunteer liao, still need to ballot sometimes. even Jim Rogers couldn't buy his daughter a spot in nanyang, still go and do volunteer.

bargain hunter
07-09-10, 12:16
basically, all the top schools will require balloting even if u stay within 1km. so may not be worth it to get a ppty within 1km for the sole purpose of getting into the top school. if later can't get in then very "dui". :ashamed1:

Rysk
07-09-10, 12:19
If possible, go for "only boys" sch.. the chances is higher than mixed sch.
The Merlot or Meraspring enable you to choose both ACS(Jr) or SJI(Jr) within 1km.

gfoo
07-09-10, 13:18
If possible, go for "only boys" sch.. the chances is higher than mixed sch.
The Merlot or Meraspring enable you to choose both ACS(Jr) or SJI(Jr) within 1km.

unfortunately old boys affiliation don't apply to girls school so my OBA is useless......

sigh, hate growing up...

amk
07-09-10, 15:32
I like this topic ;)

how come you never watched the stats in the P1 registration just passed ? Go to that kiasu parent web site. tons of infos.

I assumed you already understand the Phase 2b/2c thing. (2b for parent volunteer/affiliated/clan/church/grassroots/etc, 2c for "public" so to speak).

now bad news: for most top schools, within 1km doesn't guarantee you anything. Most of them need to ballot within 1km, even under 2b. So even you do parent volunteer it doesn't guarantee u anything. And btw, for PV, you need to register 1y in advance. And you need to have special skills for the school to consider you. NYPS have, every year, more than 200 applicants for PV. And they only pick SOME to interview. Imagine ppl living just 5in front of the school, with the mother directing traffic for the school for a year, is not guaranteed a place !

some examples for this year, Catholic High/Ai Tong: within 1km ballot ratio 4 to 1, NYPS 3 to 1.

For the less "hot" ones, within 1km ballot with more than 80% chances you have, (gfoo this is for you) MGS, RGPS, SCGS, Nanhua, etc.

This year Henry Park within 1km no ballot. Very lucky.

But do not expect it to be the same for your year. 1stly, parents have mastered the skill of obtaining an address within 1km. (for example, walk around NYPS: all big bungalows. How can it have hundreds of applicants EVERY YEAR within 1km ? trust me, ppl have ways to get it.) 2nd MOE is going to get all schools to do single session by 2013. That means it will reduce class intake for those big schools (e.g. NYPS!), so more will have balloting.

Every year, come P1 registration, lots of emotions fly. BE PREPARED!

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.

gfoo
07-09-10, 16:11
I like this topic ;)

how come you never watched the stats in the P1 registration just passed ? Go to that kiasu parent web site. tons of infos.

I assumed you already understand the Phase 2b/2c thing. (2b for parent volunteer/affiliated/clan/church/grassroots/etc, 2c for "public" so to speak).

now bad news: for most top schools, within 1km doesn't guarantee you anything. Most of them need to ballot within 1km, even under 2b. So even you do parent volunteer it doesn't guarantee u anything. And btw, for PV, you need to register 1y in advance. And you need to have special skills for the school to consider you. NYPS have, every year, more than 200 applicants for PV. And they only pick SOME to interview. Imagine ppl living just 5in front of the school, with the mother directing traffic for the school for a year, is not guaranteed a place !

some examples for this year, Catholic High/Ai Tong: within 1km ballot ratio 4 to 1, NYPS 3 to 1.

For the less "hot" ones, within 1km ballot with more than 80% chances you have, (gfoo this is for you) MGS, RGPS, SCGS, Nanhua, etc.

But do not expect it to be the same for your year. 1stly, parents have mastered the skill of obtaining an address within 1km. (for example, walk around NYPS: all big bungalows. How can it have hundreds of applicants EVERY YEAR within 1km ? trust me, ppl have ways to get it.) 2nd MOE is going to get all schools to do single session by 2013. That means it will reduce class intake for those big schools (e.g. NYPS!), so more will have balloting.

gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.
Thanks thanks! Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards. And I'd rather not have a rafflesian in the family.

I'm extremely early, but i reckon better start scouting now so that i can grab projects i want when blood starts running in the streets. Between now and primary school, i guess i have only 1 cycle to take advantage of.

Unless of course they announce a Marina Bay Primary but that will not come online till Marina South Residential District is developed, and that's at least 5-7years away.

amk
07-09-10, 17:05
Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards.
"you have chosen, wisely". :)

Upp Bt Timah not only has tons of new projects, it already has tons of old projects (Maplewoods, Stirling, Blossomvale, Nexus, etc). It's going to be tough.

SCGS *should* be better. Try to also do PV for them. 2b under 1km is the best you can do. SCGS has no church and clan affiliation, so 2b chance is quite high.

peterng8
07-09-10, 17:06
gfoo: having a girl is "slightly" better. Along Bt Timah u have 3 good girl schools, with reasonable chance of balloting in within 1km.[/quote]

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...:D

new2mondrian
07-09-10, 20:09
U guys are simply fantastic! Amk, your in-depth analysis of the P1 registration process is amazing I believe u must have gone through the process for your child already? :)

Our kid will most probably go back to my Alma mater, nyps. But we haven't quite made up our minds yet. But I totally agree with what some of the forummers shared here- don't aim for those schools with clan or church affiliations. The competition is really tough. Such schools will include nan chiau, kong Hwa, Tao nan, and all the church linked ones.

If you don't mind clementi, there is pei Hwa over there. Or Henry park is also not bad.

Gfoo, comgrats on the arrival of your baby girl! How old is she? MGS is pretty good, compared to SCGS.

gfoo
07-09-10, 20:16

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...:D[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon :)

gfoo
07-09-10, 20:18
U guys are simply fantastic! Amk, your in-depth analysis of the P1 registration process is amazing I believe u must have gone through the process for your child already? :)

Our kid will most probably go back to my Alma mater, nyps. But we haven't quite made up our minds yet. But I totally agree with what some of the forummers shared here- don't aim for those schools with clan or church affiliations. The competition is really tough. Such schools will include nan chiau, kong Hwa, Tao nan, and all the church linked ones.

If you don't mind clementi, there is pei Hwa over there. Or Henry park is also not bad.

Gfoo, comgrats on the arrival of your baby girl! How old is she? MGS is pretty good, compared to SCGS.

Thanks! MGS unfortunately benefits zilch from it's boys school affiliate. So i guess i'm stuck with SC

gfoo
07-09-10, 20:22
"you have chosen, wisely". :)

Upp Bt Timah not only has tons of new projects, it already has tons of old projects (Maplewoods, Stirling, Blossomvale, Nexus, etc). It's going to be tough.

SCGS *should* be better. Try to also do PV for them. 2b under 1km is the best you can do. SCGS has no church and clan affiliation, so 2b chance is quite high.

Yeah, within 1km of SC also lies ACPS and SJI. The area is still mostly landed or low-density condos, and is far away from Newton which is getting overcrowded. Definitely will pitch for PV :)

(and to think i use to laff at my mates who used to talk about PV)

focus
07-09-10, 20:45
having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...:D
I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon :)[/quote]

Chastity belt with remote lock via SMS in the near future? :p
http://www.lilithgallery.com/articles/chastitybelt10.jpg

gfoo
07-09-10, 20:53
I'm hoping technology progresses to have skin embedded GPS tracker systems soon :)

http://www.lilithgallery.com/articles/chastitybelt10.jpg[/QUOTE]

ahahahahaha.... POWER!

peterng8
07-09-10, 21:01
http://www.lilithgallery.com/articles/chastitybelt10.jpg

ahahahahaha.... POWER![/quote]

wow...what a device, how to pee and shit like that..torture leh...:D :D wait your daughter go to court n sue you for ill treatment using device not approved by PSB...ha ha

teddybear
07-09-10, 21:04
The problem is: If you don't live within 1 km of the school and you are not old boys/girls, you get absolutely 0 chance!
If you live within 1km of the school, you still get balloting chance!
When it comes to good primary schools, lower Bukit Timah area (nearer Newton side) is the "king" area where many good schools congregates! (at least better chance as can still switch as the registration data comes in). :D

I like this topic ;)

bargain hunter
07-09-10, 22:16
dun anyhow "clementi" hor...pple living D10 "clementi" will get offended one when u say henry park clementi! ;) nan hua is in clementi but pei hwa is upper bukit timah D21. MGS is better but balloting is also more fierce (what more when cascadia, flordian and jardin are fully filled up in a few years time!).

proud owner
08-09-10, 01:54
dun anyhow "clementi" hor...pple living D10 "clementi" will get offended one when u say henry park clementi! ;) nan hua is in clementi but pei hwa is upper bukit timah D21. MGS is better but balloting is also more fierce (what more when cascadia, flordian and jardin are fully filled up in a few years time!).

is Home school allowed in singapore ?

apple3
08-09-10, 02:13
I see it as equally worrisome.

But again, part of it depend on the brought up and the "quality" of parenting. By saying "trust me" on your post, I see that you must be damm worry about your daughter, it you have any.

having girl u will get worried more when they start growing up...trust me...:D[/quote]

apple3
08-09-10, 02:14
Your post is distasteful.

[/quote]

apple3
08-09-10, 02:17
Oh yes, sure, and so are a registrar for sperm ID.

ahahahahaha.... POWER![/quote]

apple3
08-09-10, 02:23
Did you, focus, gfoo & peterng8 on some sort of chastity belt development committee? If so, why not fix it on your own daughter then?

Remember to get it clear by PSB which perhap require some trial test.

ahahahahaha.... POWER!

wow...what a device, how to pee and shit like that..torture leh...:D :D wait your daughter go to court n sue you for ill treatment using device not approved by PSB...ha ha[/quote]

bargain hunter
08-09-10, 07:52
yes, its allowed.

is Home school allowed in singapore ?

focus
08-09-10, 08:02
Did you, focus, gfoo & peterng8 on some sort of chastity belt development committee? If so, why not fix it on your own daughter then?

Remember to get it clear by PSB which perhap require some trial test.

Apologies. Will put on a male chastity belt as punishment for myself. :)

Ok ok .. really sorry... I shouldn't have posted anything that demeans female since I came out from one too.

peterng8
08-09-10, 10:03
Apologies. Will put on a male chastity belt as punishment for myself. :)

Ok ok .. really sorry... I shouldn't have posted anything that demeans female since I came out from one too.

dont any how wear, got approved by relevant authority or not? wait got safety issue and get yourself "injured"...nobody asks you to punish yourself by wearing this ma..he he:D ,

i mentioned this because the device you mentioned actually came out in the newspaper before quite some time agao and has undergone various tests in US... you know in US, unwanted pregnancy is on the rise and with
reports on how singaporean teenagers behave nowadays...it is worrying..:scared-5:

novel
08-09-10, 10:48

My wish list

seriously, to get FH at 1mio nowadays in Bk Timah/D11 somemore is difficult.

And even if you near these area the chance of getting into those good primary school is difficult too, because alot of other "rich" parents can rent/buy within 1km to compete with you.

I have friends who stay 1-2km within good schools e.g. MGS, NYPS and Maris Stella but all failed the balloting (this year!)

So if really want to improve the chance of getting in you better do parent volunteer, grassroot leaders, etc:p

novel
08-09-10, 10:59
Thanks thanks! Right now setting my sights on SCGS. MGS might be facing tons of competition with all those condo projects along jalan kechil and upp bt timah coming on-line 2014 onwards. And I'd rather not have a rafflesian in the family.

I'm extremely early, but i reckon better start scouting now so that i can grab projects i want when blood starts running in the streets. Between now and primary school, i guess i have only 1 cycle to take advantage of.

Unless of course they announce a Marina Bay Primary but that will not come online till Marina South Residential District is developed, and that's at least 5-7years away.

you sure want to put yr girl in a new school called Marina Bay PRimary? :scared-3:

gfoo
08-09-10, 11:24
you sure want to put yr girl in a new school called Marina Bay PRimary? :scared-3:

bo pian si bo pian mah

teddybear
08-09-10, 13:23
If you don't stay near, even if you are PV also useless because still need to ballot under 2B and if you are not within 1km you are OUT...ch! :o

And even if you near these area the chance of getting into those good primary school is difficult too, because alot of other "rich" parents can rent/buy within 1km to compete with you.

I have friends who stay 1-2km within good schools e.g. MGS, NYPS and Maris Stella but all failed the balloting (this year!)

So if really want to improve the chance of getting in you better do parent volunteer, grassroot leaders, etc:p

novel
08-09-10, 13:57
*sigh* isn't it scary....your primary school can be for generation if good school else the next generation got to work super hard when they are parent themselves.

focus
08-09-10, 14:28

Agreed. My gf told me quite a few doctors she knows RENT around the area to live in there for the sake of the children.

focus
08-09-10, 14:30

Wa.. MarinaBay Primary.. sounds prestigious already.. :p

gfoo
08-09-10, 15:14
Agreed. My gf told me quite a few doctors she knows RENT around the area to live in there for the sake of the children.

Can just rent? sheesh i'd rather do that.....

Just in case.

Any gurus here can recommend a nice development, around SCGS, and relatively flood proof?

teddybear
08-09-10, 18:21
Can rent, but first check with MOE regarding the criteria and restrictions. As far as I know, there are checks conducted, and you need to stay within the vicinity for the period your child is in the primary school. (You can shift, but still in the vicinity).

Can just rent? sheesh i'd rather do that.....

Just in case.

Any gurus here can recommend a nice development, around SCGS, and relatively flood proof?

new2mondrian
08-09-10, 23:26

Oops, my mistake. Obviously I know more about properties than about schools. But kiasuparents.com is really a treasure trove where P1 registration is concerned. Anyone seriously keen to find out more should check that site out.

I mixed up Pei Hwa with Nan Hua. Really thanks for pointing it out. :)

Komo
08-09-10, 23:34
any website tells you which primary school has student care as well?

bargain hunter
09-09-10, 00:44
no need so serious until the whole 6 year period. i think 1st 2 years or even less is sufficient. for e.g. someone rent in bukit timah, then lost job, of course have to downgrade elsewhere mah, how can school kick child out becoz of that?! but u're right. check with MOE. :) checks are conducted so at least must really stay there for the whole tenancy period.

Can rent, but first check with MOE regarding the criteria and restrictions. As far as I know, there are checks conducted, and you need to stay within the vicinity for the period your child is in the primary school. (You can shift, but still in the vicinity).

bargain hunter
09-09-10, 00:51
dun so modest leh, "hidden dragon". :D

but seriously, i see all the red balloting, get a headache already. truly KIASU! i really think we should not buy properties solely because of wanting to be within 1km of top school coz still gotta ballot (as some pointed out, even after being volunteer AND 1km, still ballot!) really heartbreak if after all that still can't get in.

Oops, my mistake. Obviously I know more about properties than about schools. But kiasuparents.com is really a treasure trove where P1 registration is concerned. Anyone seriously keen to find out more should check that site out.

I mixed up Pei Hwa with Nan Hua. Really thanks for pointing it out. :)

echotrain
09-09-10, 06:26
Thanks! MGS unfortunately benefits zilch from it's boys school affiliate. So i guess i'm stuck with SC

Consider RGPS, they have a very transparent PV system. And I have not heard PVs needing to ballot cos they take PVs carefully.

Look at shelford area, PV RGPS. Next time seep, can also sell to those at NYPS.

SCGS don't usually take PVs consistently unless u have a very very unique skill set. And 1km also need ballot. So too dangerous.

PS I own no property in shelford...

echotrain
09-09-10, 06:30

All students live in MBR and TS? After school hang out at MBS...

bargain hunter
09-09-10, 08:30
before this year, RGPS never needed to ballot for those within 1km. but that has changed this year...sigh...but u r right, PV should still ensure a place without balloting.

Consider RGPS, they have a very transparent PV system. And I have not heard PVs needing to ballot cos they take PVs carefully.

Look at shelford area, PV RGPS. Next time seep, can also sell to those at NYPS.

SCGS don't usually take PVs consistently unless u have a very very unique skill set. And 1km also need ballot. So too dangerous.

PS I own no property in shelford...

teddybear
09-09-10, 09:47
There are many issues with PVs:
1) It is a scheme that unfairly penalizes those with no time and/or no money and/or no connection (through GR, PA, church affiliations etc) to get in.
2) If they want to have PVs, then make sure all PVs can get in without balloting.
3) All other affiliations related to churches, old boys/girls should be abolished to ensure (2). In fact, distance to schools should be given higher priority than all those affiliations for the fact that nowsadays kids have to wake up before 5.45am and take school bus latest 6.20am. They really should have more sleep! The policy should ensures that parents send their kids to schools nearby and not half-way round the island and having to wake up before 5.45am and then rush to catch the bus at 6.20am! (Not to mention school knock off at 1pm and reach home 2.30pm for lunch! - Really unhealthy life-style and bad for their gastrics!).

before this year, RGPS never needed to ballot for those within 1km. but that has changed this year...sigh...but u r right, PV should still ensure a place without balloting.

dmonddd
09-09-10, 12:05
There are many issues with PVs:
1) It is a scheme that unfairly penalizes those with no time and/or no money and/or no connection (through GR, PA, church affiliations etc) to get in.
2) If they want to have PVs, then make sure all PVs can get in without balloting.
3) All other affiliations related to churches, old boys/girls should be abolished to ensure (2). In fact, distance to schools should be given higher priority than all those affiliations for the fact that nowsadays kids have to wake up before 5.45am and take school bus latest 6.20am. They really should have more sleep! The policy should ensures that parents send their kids to schools nearby and not half-way round the island and having to wake up before 5.45am and then rush to catch the bus at 6.20am! (Not to mention school knock off at 1pm and reach home 2.30pm for lunch! - Really unhealthy life-style and bad for their gastrics!).

agree...:cheers3:
PV can be accepted but need to go thru balloting for certain nos of PV that will have confirm places

alamak
09-09-10, 12:16
agree...:cheers3:
PV can be accepted but need to go thru balloting for certain nos of PV that will have confirm places
Good school does not equate good academics.. Good school will assist those kids with good potentials and inhibit those without the potential.

Nurture ..Develop ...Train.. Imbue a good sense of learning & sense of wonder in self-exploratory .. build up a healthy mind in a child to learn when they are young.. Any neighbourhood school will do..... :D

stalingrad
09-09-10, 12:22
Good school does not equate good academics.. Good school will assist those kids with good potentials and inhibit those without the potential.

Nurture ..Develop ...Train.. Imbue a good sense of learning & sense of wonder in self-exploratory .. build up a healthy mind in a child to learn when they are young.. Any neighbourhood school will do..... :D

Not all schools, but more schools will do.

gfoo
09-09-10, 13:03

lol.... cute

Regulators
09-09-10, 13:18
can't agree. there are students from top primary schools like raffles and henry park but most have lousy attitudes and end up going to neighbourhood sec schools after PSLE. On the other hand I have students from neighbourhood schools who end up in River Valley high after PSLE just becoz they have positive attitudes to learning. i know parents who fight tooth and nail to get their kids in top primary schools thru GRC connections to later find their kids ending up in lousy secondary schools. The funniest thing is some parents I know want to send their kids to a top primary school just to network with well-to-do parents, which to me is the wrong priority. :doh:

Regulators
09-09-10, 13:19
I mean i can't agree more.

devilplate
09-09-10, 18:26
street smart is more impt den academic smart....

gd pri schools produce kiasu nerds:p

teddybear
09-09-10, 20:42
you should Ask the ministers which didn't come from the branded sch, those are really street smart ones to get in there among the others. :D

street smart is more impt den academ
ic smart....

gfoo
09-09-10, 21:33
is there such a thing as branded schools?

proud owner
09-09-10, 21:44
is there such a thing as branded schools?

soon

on sentosa

Versace Primary School of Fashion

devilplate
09-09-10, 22:57
you should Ask the ministers which didn't come from the branded sch, those are really street smart ones to get in there among the others. :D

err...u wud love to lead minister's life?:confused:

teddybear
09-09-10, 23:10
According to what I heard from the ground, many regarded these as the best "employee" jobs in Singapore now (other than being owners of the big companies). :D
That is the reason why many parents are trying to squeeze their kids into these branded schools. :cheers1:

err...u wud love to lead minister's life?:confused:

devilplate
09-09-10, 23:15
According to what I heard from the ground, many regarded these as the best "employee" jobs in Singapore now (other than being owners of the big companies). :D
That is the reason why many parents are trying to squeeze their kids into these branded schools. :cheers1:

restricted life wor....:beats-me-man:

teddybear
09-09-10, 23:54
Where got restricted? You don't know only.
Heard the most coveted branded schools are those like SJI, ACS, RI, RGS, ...

restricted life wor....:beats-me-man:

devilplate
10-09-10, 00:06

den how come u noe so much?

teddybear
10-09-10, 00:08
:D:p:cheers1:

den how come u noe so much?

devilplate
10-09-10, 00:34
:D:p:cheers1:

u from 'branded skool'?

gfoo
10-09-10, 00:56

out of those if there's any 'branded' school, there's only one.

rattydrama
12-09-10, 22:16
even at those popular schools? If yes, I dont mind :D doing it for my son...

actually to guarantee surefire, just live within 1km and volunteer in RC/CC and your MP will make sure you get a place...lol

rattydrama
12-09-10, 22:52
Anyone can confirm is signature park within 1km to Pei Hwa?

Pei Hwa is a good school but not a top school, quite good and with a consistent track record already. :)

donations may not work since singaporeans are now cash rich. schools like nanyang, even stay 1km, volunteer liao, still need to ballot sometimes. even Jim Rogers couldn't buy his daughter a spot in nanyang, still go and do volunteer.

rattydrama
13-09-10, 00:16
that is why generally it is better to give the kid a chance to be in a good school to assist them to inhibit those good potentials. It gives them a good start in life. Some parents will say that its all depend on the kids ability/EQ etc. However, kids in so call good school are generally

1. nature by a trial and tested system with proven success rate.
2. have committed teachers who are able to engage with kids and deliver the school materials.
3. better teaching methods

In addition parents who bother to take so much efforts and pains to send their kids to a better school are concern about their kids education and want the best for the kids. I believe it is good to be associated with this group of parents having the same goal.

So if our kids are not so bright at least it can be compensated with a better environment, positive influence and we have tried to provide the best within our ability.

rattydrama
13-09-10, 00:20
street smart is more impt den academic smart....

street smart can be taught by parents. I do agree that gd pri schools student has Attitude problem and this pose a challenge to the parents!

Regulators
13-09-10, 00:29
confirmed :)

Anyone can confirm is signature park within 1km to Pei Hwa?

novel
13-09-10, 10:40
that is why generally it is better to give the kid a chance to be in a good school to assist them to inhibit those good potentials. It gives them a good start in life. Some parents will say that its all depend on the kids ability/EQ etc. However, kids in so call good school are generally

1. nature by a trial and tested system with proven success rate.
2. have committed teachers who are able to engage with kids and deliver the school materials.
3. better teaching methods

In addition parents who bother to take so much efforts and pains to send their kids to a better school are concern about their kids education and want the best for the kids. I believe it is good to be associated with this group of parents having the same goal.

So if our kids are not so bright at least it can be compensated with a better environment, positive influence and we have tried to provide the best within our ability.

If possible, it will be good to send our kids to good primary schools to give them a good foundation, same as harvesting if you want a good fruit you try to give the best fertilizer etc and hope they will grow to be good. Along the way if the fruit kena "bite" by locusts, insects, etc turned rotten then LL lah :p

gn108
13-09-10, 10:49
I agree.

At Primary School - as parents you still have control/influence. Use it.:scared-1:
PLSE more about drilling and practice. Not so much abt elite schools.
Secondary School - teenagers need a different approach. A good school here helps keep the 'fruit' in better condition unless kena the rich/lazy/snobbish/elite/ tsetse fly :doh: who can make your promising/hardworking kid into a sleepy head. :sleep:

If possible, it will be good to send our kids to good primary schools to give them a good foundation, same as harvesting if you want a good fruit you try to give the best fertilizer etc and hope they will grow to be good. Along the way if the fruit kena "bite" by locusts, insects, etc turned rotten then LL lah :p

gfoo
13-09-10, 11:28
i find that junior employees from the good english-centric schools tend to have shorter learning curves and generally outperform those from neighbourhood schools, at least in my corporate world. there are exceptions once in a while for the street smart ones. there is however a glass-ceiling for those from chinese SAP schools - can't think spatially, a little one track.

teddybear
13-09-10, 11:47
2 words - book-muncher.
Why do they behave so? Because they have tests on every week and weeks after weeks! (used to be like that, it is still so now?).

i find that junior employees from the good english-centric schools tend to have shorter learning curves and generally outperform those from neighbourhood schools, at least in my corporate world. there are exceptions once in a while for the street smart ones. there is however a glass-ceiling for those from chinese SAP schools - can't think spatially, a little one track.

august
13-09-10, 11:58

u sure u not opining thru tinted glasses? :o

alamak
13-09-10, 12:04
lol.... cute

It is a fact of life...

gfoo
13-09-10, 12:27
u sure u not opining thru tinted glasses? :o
of course rose tinted lah - even contracts flow much more freely amongst old boys, be it local schools or overseas

rattydrama
13-09-10, 15:23
2 words - book-muncher.
Why do they behave so? Because they have tests on every week and weeks after weeks! (used to be like that, it is still so now?).

it is good to be a book mucher at their early age. It takes Alot of discipline and self control. Well when they turn 18 or 21 they can do whatever they like and parents should be ready to be their adviser rather than a disciplinarian.

I will say to my kids in pri sch - " pls cross the road only when u see the green man flashing and follow mummy or aunties."

However when they are in secondary sch - "pls don't be stupid cross when there is no car, see left and see right first before crossing and don't get knock down. And cross at risk of getting fines and photo by someone who submitting to stomp for the tiny rewards and cheap trill at yr expense!"

teddybear
18-07-11, 09:46
Nan Chiau to become SAP school!
What happened to St Nicholas Girls after moving to Ang Mo Kio hah? It seems that the quality has deteriorated. It used to vire with RGS as the top number 1 school in Singapore but somehow it has slipped down.

------------------------------------------------
Title : Nan Chiau High set to become SAP school
By : Ng Jing Yng, TODAY Date : 18 Jul 2011 0634 hrs (GMT + 8hrs)

SINGAPORE: As Nan Chiau High gears up to become the 11th school under the Special Assistance Plan (SAP) next year, its principal Tan Yee Kan is keen to ensure that under the revamped curriculum, its students will be exposed to the various cultures and segments of society.As a SAP school, Nan Chiau will be returning to its roots - it started out as a Chinese medium school. Mr Tan said that while becoming a SAP school has always been on Nan Chiau 's "wish-list", the school is also mindful that this could mean that the students will be interacting only with Chinese-speaking peers.
Which is why the school - which was set up by the Singapore Hokkien clan association - is hoping to "create more opportunities both in the classroom and on the ground (where) students can go beyond the Chinese language and cultural experience in their daily routine", said Mr Tan.
The principal added that most of his students come from "middle-income families staying in HDB flats".
Said Mr Tan: "I do not think there'll be the elitist mindset ... but we'll still create more volunteering opportunities to keep them connected to the community."
According to Mr Tan, the school's lessons will infuse elements from other cultures such as teaching the students basic Malay language or getting them to listen to Korean folk songs.
The school is also looking to increase its proportion of foreign students - currently at less than 5 per cent - to create more diversity in the learning environment, added Mr Tan.
The move to make Nan Chiau a SAP school was announced in November last year. The last school to join the programme was Nan Hua High in 2000.
Under the SAP programme, Nan Chiau will admit only Express stream students from next year.
Nan Chiau 's subject head (Chinese Language) Ong Chuxian, who will be spearheading the school's SAP taskforce, said that the students will also learn about their forefathers.
Said Ms Ong: "Society has evolved rapidly to what it is today and it is important for students to be aware of their heritage and be appreciative of their own distinct culture."
Apart from introducing a bilingual literacy programme for all its students, those in the upper secondary classes under the SAP programme will be taught comparative studies of different Chinese cities.
The school also plans to focus more on leadership building among its students and research in science and mathematics.
The school's facilities, including its library, will be upgraded. A hostel could also be on the cards.
Said Mr Tan: "It has always been the school's dream to turn SAP and it will give students in the north-east region an additional option. We see it as our responsibility to impart the Chinese language and culture to the newer generation and preventing it from getting lost in time."
- TODAY (http://www.todayonline.com/)

ysyap
18-07-11, 10:10
Nan Chiau High has indeed come a long long way. I had a friend who graduated from there some 15 years back and the result of that school then was really below average. Then I know of a student who graduated there some 3 years back. So so so different already. Then recently announced it going SAP. Wow! Bravo to the school and students as well as staff! :D

teddybear
18-07-11, 12:46
The location of a primary school seems to have influence on the ranking and performance of the school? E.g., if the school takes in only good students (regardless of whether they get tuitions and become better or not), then the school PSLE results will be better and shine.
If the school is located in the heartlands, then obviously the students intake will be quite mix and extreme, so the school can't boost of 99% students all can go into "Express class", or at lest 90% students all get at least 1 A* and 3A (usually such grades means the students are already the top 10% in the whole cohort, equivalent to T-score of about 245 +/-). :beats-me-man: Only several of the popular primary schools can boost of the above.
Remember recently some people say shift some popular primary schools to heartlands and will benefit the heartland kids? Well, it seem that such scheme will not work. E.g. look at CHIJ St Nicholas Primary. The school will just go down the slope and become "not" popular anyway with declining results, prestige, and status. >150 years of school building and history gone down the drain! :banghead:

Nan Chiau to become SAP school!
What happened to St Nicholas Girls after moving to Ang Mo Kio hah? It seems that the quality has deteriorated. It used to vire with RGS as the top number 1 school in Singapore but somehow it has slipped down.

------------------------------------------------
Title : Nan Chiau High set to become SAP school
By : Ng Jing Yng, TODAY Date : 18 Jul 2011 0634 hrs (GMT + 8hrs)

SINGAPORE: As Nan Chiau High gears up to become the 11th school under the Special Assistance Plan (SAP) next year, its principal Tan Yee Kan is keen to ensure that under the revamped curriculum, its students will be exposed to the various cultures and segments of society.As a SAP school, Nan Chiau will be returning to its roots - it started out as a Chinese medium school. Mr Tan said that while becoming a SAP school has always been on Nan Chiau 's "wish-list", the school is also mindful that this could mean that the students will be interacting only with Chinese-speaking peers.
Which is why the school - which was set up by the Singapore Hokkien clan association - is hoping to "create more opportunities both in the classroom and on the ground (where) students can go beyond the Chinese language and cultural experience in their daily routine", said Mr Tan.
The principal added that most of his students come from "middle-income families staying in HDB flats".
Said Mr Tan: "I do not think there'll be the elitist mindset ... but we'll still create more volunteering opportunities to keep them connected to the community."
According to Mr Tan, the school's lessons will infuse elements from other cultures such as teaching the students basic Malay language or getting them to listen to Korean folk songs.
The school is also looking to increase its proportion of foreign students - currently at less than 5 per cent - to create more diversity in the learning environment, added Mr Tan.
The move to make Nan Chiau a SAP school was announced in November last year. The last school to join the programme was Nan Hua High in 2000.
Under the SAP programme, Nan Chiau will admit only Express stream students from next year.
Nan Chiau 's subject head (Chinese Language) Ong Chuxian, who will be spearheading the school's SAP taskforce, said that the students will also learn about their forefathers.
Said Ms Ong: "Society has evolved rapidly to what it is today and it is important for students to be aware of their heritage and be appreciative of their own distinct culture."
Apart from introducing a bilingual literacy programme for all its students, those in the upper secondary classes under the SAP programme will be taught comparative studies of different Chinese cities.
The school also plans to focus more on leadership building among its students and research in science and mathematics.
The school's facilities, including its library, will be upgraded. A hostel could also be on the cards.
Said Mr Tan: "It has always been the school's dream to turn SAP and it will give students in the north-east region an additional option. We see it as our responsibility to impart the Chinese language and culture to the newer generation and preventing it from getting lost in time."
- TODAY (http://www.todayonline.com/)

hyenergix
18-07-11, 13:14
The location of a primary school seems to have influence on the ranking and performance of the school? E.g., if the school takes in only good students (regardless of whether they get tuitions and become better or not), then the school PSLE results will be better and shine.
If the school is located in the heartlands, then obviously the students intake will be quite mix and extreme, so the school can't boost of 99% students all can go into "Express class", or at lest 90% students all get at least 1 A* and 3A (usually such grades means the students are already the top 10% in the whole cohort, equivalent to T-score of about 245 +/-). :beats-me-man: Only several of the popular primary schools can boost of the above.
Remember recently some people say shift some popular primary schools to heartlands and will benefit the heartland kids? Well, it seem that such scheme will not work. E.g. look at CHIJ St Nicholas Primary. The school will just go down the slope and become "not" popular anyway with declining results, prestige, and status. >150 years of school building and history gone down the drain! :banghead:

Many good schools are located in the central or east. Very few in the west and north. You can guess the reasons...

Jadey
18-07-11, 15:47

My wish list

If your main intention is to get your kid into a good primary school, I dont see why you should you restrict your choice to a small or run down FH apartment.

Why not consider leasehold, or even renting?

ysyap
18-07-11, 16:29
Must not only consider for the NOW. Now you may have only one boy but in the future, a girl might come along. Anyway, do consider a co-ed school so once the first sibling enters, the subsequent one, whether boy or girl also no problem. :)

Regulators
18-07-11, 20:52
Nan chiau can really do with a name change. Sounds vulgar.
Nan Chiau High has indeed come a long long way. I had a friend who graduated from there some 15 years back and the result of that school then was really below average. Then I know of a student who graduated there some 3 years back. So so so different already. Then recently announced it going SAP. Wow! Bravo to the school and students as well as staff! :D

wind30
18-07-11, 22:10
Many good schools are located in the central or east. Very few in the west and north. You can guess the reasons...

Actually the good primary schools are mainly in the central west. Like farrer road.

The really good primary schools with long history is Nanyang, Rosyth, RGPS.

The only good school in the east is Tao Nan?

ysyap
18-07-11, 22:12
Nan chiau can really do with a name change. Sounds vulgar.LOL! :doh:

ysyap
18-07-11, 22:16
Actually the good primary schools are mainly in the central west. Like farrer road.

The really good primary schools with long history is Nanyang, Rosyth, RGPS.

The only good school in the east is Tao Nan?Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! :D Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

1. Higher chance of getting in and so not wasted all the earlier efforts and money thrown in to buy that nearby home.
2. Kids will not be subjected to those competitive environment. I'd rather they enjoy more in primary school than be so stressed up at such a tender age. (Some parents may disagree but this is purely a personal opinion). :spliff:

bargain hunter
18-07-11, 22:21
i agree with you. i always tell pple not to buy just because of the pri sch. later pay so much, can't get in, get posted to further sch. such a waste.

Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! :D Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

1. Higher chance of getting in and so not wasted all the earlier efforts and money thrown in to buy that nearby home.
2. Kids will not be subjected to those competitive environment. I'd rather they enjoy more in primary school than be so stressed up at such a tender age. (Some parents may disagree but this is purely a personal opinion). :spliff:

howgozit
18-07-11, 23:33
Really, is all this this necessary?

I am probably gonna get a lot of flak for this but I think the effect of a "good" primary school is way way over-rated.

It is a self-fulfilling prohecy. Parents who are concerned about their children's education will try to put them in "good" schools. Invariably these students tend to do better, not because of the school but because of the parents. The parents are the type that places a big emphasis on education so will push the children more than usual.

In essence, all schools are neighbourhood schools it just depends on which neighbourhood you are in. If you are in an expensive neighbourhood (like Bukit Timah) chances are money is not a problem. This means the parents have more resources to facilitate their child's education.

Finally, after discounting the GEP classes of these "good" schools, the percentage of students remaining that cross over to the IP schools are not significantly better than those from the "normal" schools.

IMHO, the best way is to ensure a child meets his potential is to have the mother at home when he is back from school to ensure that he does his homework and develop good study habits. If need be, maybe a tuition class. The class ratio in any school (other than GEP of course) is about the same. The teachers are about the same. Other than the child's own IQ, it is the home environment that makes the most difference.

Regulators
19-07-11, 01:20
i always tell people if their child can make it, they can make it even if they study in any primary school. I know of parents struggling to get their kid into Raffles Girls school, henry park etc and in the end, the child make it into good primary school but standard not good enough to qualify for a good secondary school. It is all in the genes lah.

i agree with you. i always tell pple not to buy just because of the pri sch. later pay so much, can't get in, get posted to further sch. such a waste.

ysyap
19-07-11, 06:31
i always tell people if their child can make it, they can make it even if they study in any primary school. I know of parents struggling to get their kid into Raffles Girls school, henry park etc and in the end, the child make it into good primary school but standard not good enough to qualify for a good secondary school. It is all in the genes lah.You and I and some others here probably will never understand the mindset of a typical kiasu parent. The thought that their child is not in a premium (elite) school is simply overwhelming and killing them so .... :scared-4:

chiaberry
19-07-11, 07:07

This school pushes their students hard. Remember that their students come in with not-so-high PSLE T-scores (low 230+). And the majority come from not-so-privileged homes therefore their parents do not have the same resources as most of the "good" secondary schools to send them for the best tuition etc. So most of the students are solely dependent on the school to provide them with the necessary drilling for the 'O' Levels. Their school hours are long because they often have to stay back for extra lessons. In addition there is a heavy homework load. They are also pushed hard in their CCA. Their holidays are packed with homework and projects. Their results are achieved with hard work from teachers and students. The standard of Chinese is high. Those taking Higher Chinese are generally not allowed to take HCL at O Level unless they achieve A1 for their CL O Level which they take when they are in Sec 3.

Whether the new principal can maintain or surpass the achievements of the old principal remains to be tested. The old principal had brought up the school rapidly to be a Band One school in what I consider to be a relatively short period of time.

ysyap
19-07-11, 07:55
This school pushes their students hard. Remember that their students come in with not-so-high PSLE T-scores (low 230+). And the majority come from not-so-privileged homes therefore their parents do not have the same resources as most of the "good" secondary schools to send them for the best tuition etc. So most of the students are solely dependent on the school to provide them with the necessary drilling for the 'O' Levels. Their school hours are long because they often have to stay back for extra lessons. In addition there is a heavy homework load. They are also pushed hard in their CCA. Their holidays are packed with homework and projects. Their results are achieved with hard work from teachers and students. The standard of Chinese is high. Those taking Higher Chinese are generally not allowed to take HCL at O Level unless they achieve A1 for their CL O Level which they take when they are in Sec 3.

Whether the new principal can maintain or surpass the achievements of the old principal remains to be tested. The old principal had brought up the school rapidly to be a Band One school in what I consider to be a relatively short period of time.You appear knowledgeable about the happenings of the school. Either your child is from this school or your friend's child is in the school. Otherwise, you are the teacher of this school or your friend is the teacher of this school... :spliff2:. I stay near this school for so many years and I also didn't hear so much about it like you did. :spliff:

SpinCity
19-07-11, 09:34

I am probably gonna get a lot of flak for this but I think the effect of a "good" primary school is way way over-rated.

It is a self-fulfilling prohecy. Parents who are concerned about their children's education will try to put them in "good" schools. Invariably these students tend to do better, not because of the school but because of the parents. The parents are the type that places a big emphasis on education so will push the children more than usual.

In essence, all schools are neighbourhood schools it just depends on which neighbourhood you are in. If you are in an expensive neighbourhood (like Bukit Timah) chances are money is not a problem. This means the parents have more resources to facilitate their child's education.

Finally, after discounting the GEP classes of these "good" schools, the percentage of students remaining that cross over to the IP schools are not significantly better than those from the "normal" schools.

IMHO, the best way is to ensure a child meets his potential is to have the mother at home when he is back from school to ensure that he does his homework and develop good study habits. If need be, maybe a tuition class. The class ratio in any school (other than GEP of course) is about the same. The teachers are about the same. Other than the child's own IQ, it is the home environment that makes the most difference.

It is not only the school and teachers, but also the peers. Parents can pay more attention on their kids' academic and extracurricular development, but they cannot do much about the friends they make in school
Anyway, it is always the case everywhere that kids from more well-off families "generally" have better cares.

proud owner
19-07-11, 09:44
It is not only the school and teachers, but also the peers. Parents can pay more attention on their kids' academic and extracurricular development, but they cannot do much about the friends they make in school
Anyway, it is always the case everywhere that kids from more well-off families "generally" have better cares.

i have friends ...living in D10, their children in PRIME GOOD SCHOOLS....

their daughters, started partying and putting make up in the early teens ..

on weekends, i bumped into the girls in orchard roads, and sad to say ...they dressed like hookers ..

they had decent grades .. but didnt want to study in NUS ..
so the rich parents sent them to australia ..

they went .. less than 6 mths ..they flew back on their own ..
citing Loneliness, no friends, etc etc as reasons ..and quit uni ..
"Pretended" to suffer depression ... remained in singapore , not schooling, just partying evberyday for 2 YEARS ..

then went back to Australia ...

this may be an exception .. but she is a product of a GOOD SCHOOL

DC33_2008
19-07-11, 09:49
I am not sure. Some kids with well-off parents are rather self-centered and can become a problem for the other kids in school. Furthermore, their parents could be so busy that they have no time for their children. I have heard from some teachers in independent schools.

chiaberry
19-07-11, 09:56
You appear knowledgeable about the happenings of the school. Either your child is from this school or your friend's child is in the school. Otherwise, you are the teacher of this school or your friend is the teacher of this school... :spliff2:. I stay near this school for so many years and I also didn't hear so much about it like you did. :spliff:

My child is in this school. We have problems planning the family holidays because of the school schedule whereby she has to go back for lessons or CCA even during sch holidays. Only this year she will be taking O levels can we be sure that she can go for December holiday in peace and not having to worry abt the school commitments/CCA schedule etc. Not sure if the CCA will call her back for performance or not... they seem to have inculcated a strong sense of loyalty in the students and I know some of her seniors did go back to perform for the sch even after completing their O levels last year.

rattydrama
19-07-11, 10:04
If your main intention is to get your kid into a good primary school, I dont see why you should you restrict your choice to a small or run down FH apartment.

Why not consider leasehold, or even renting?

the thread is alive again. :p good that all are keen to participate in the discussion.

well the budget was set some 10 months ago and it is not realistic now. well now either to cut size or go for older apartment.

In fact visited 2 units last year which are within 1km to school but did not committ to any. I bought somewhere else to hedge inflation and am still looking.

rattydrama
19-07-11, 10:09
Must not only consider for the NOW. Now you may have only one boy but in the future, a girl might come along. Anyway, do consider a co-ed school so once the first sibling enters, the subsequent one, whether boy or girl also no problem. :)

850 sqft 2 bedder is enough for me.:p family expansion plan is not in the pipeline and I do not think we need a big house after staying in a 2000sqft apt for many years. Cleaning and upkeeping of the house is an issue.

howgozit
19-07-11, 10:11
i always tell people if their child can make it, they can make it even if they study in any primary school. I know of parents struggling to get their kid into Raffles Girls school, henry park etc and in the end, the child make it into good primary school but standard not good enough to qualify for a good secondary school. It is all in the genes lah.

Totally agree.

These schools have GEP classes (incl Tao Nan, NYP....etc.) The top scorers of these schools come mainly from the GEPers. The rest from these schools do better but not significantly so from the "neighbourhood" schools. Furthermore there is no affiliation to the IP schools (exception of ACS(I)).

A lot of RGPS girls expect to go on to RGS, but many of them will be disappointed.

If your child is in a GEP school but is not in a GEP class, than no matter how well he does in his studies even if he is top student, he will still be viewed as below the GEPers. This is not the fault of GEP but the parents who expect too much from their child.

Put your child in a primary school of your convenience. If his IQ belongs to the top 1-2% of his cohort, he will be in GEP where you can pick and choose the school you want. If he is not GEP material, all is not lost, with the right coaching and direction, he will still make it if he has the qualities.

Get him to right IP school, that's where it counts. If he is not IP material, than relax, your child is like the rest of the 90% of Singaporeans.

Jadey
19-07-11, 10:19
the thread is alive again. :p good that all are keen to participate in the discussion.

well the budget was set some 10 months ago and it is not realistic now. well now either to cut size or go for older apartment.

In fact visited 2 units last year which are within 1km to school but did not committ to any. I bought somewhere else to hedge inflation and am still looking.

you can consider Nan Hua Primary School near Clementi area. I think those FH/999 projects around West Coast / Hong Leong Garden area are still within 1km radius, also the neighborhood around that area is also not as attas as say dist 9 and 10.

SpinCity
19-07-11, 10:35

on weekends, i bumped into the girls in orchard roads, and sad to say ...they dressed like hookers ..

"Pretended" to suffer depression ... remained in singapore , not schooling, just partying evberyday for 2 YEARS ..

proud owner, let me guess, you don't have kids yet, right?

There are cases like this everywhere and we all have seen it, but I won't discount "Good schools" just because of it as the risk of kids making "undesired" friends exists unless parents do home-schooling but I think it is not possible in Singapore.
Good schools can never guarantee anything but I believe that GENERALLY their students stand a better chance to be better groomed. You can call it a self-fulfilled prophecy but if there are more kids in a school study hard, it will form a peer pressure among them, and well-off parents have more resources to help
Frankly, I will try to enroll my son to a "good school" when the time comes. As for how he can perform, it depends on his potential and how we can help him along the way
As a father, I will provide as much as I can to develop my kid to his full potential, and have a happy childhood
Back to the property discussion, when I choose a place for own-stay, school is one of my considerations but definitely not the first priority

SpinCity
19-07-11, 10:38
I am not sure. Some kids with well-off parents are rather self-centered and can become a problem for the other kids in school. Furthermore, their parents could be so busy that they have no time for their children. I have heard from some teachers in independent schools.

At the end of the day, it all depends on how parents weigh their kids' education and upbringing. I agree what you say, but in general well-off parents have more resources to pour on their children if they want to

stalingrad
19-07-11, 10:40
you can consider Nan Hua Primary School near Clementi area. I think those FH/999 projects around West Coast / Hong Leong Garden area are still within 1km radius, also the neighborhood around that area is also not as attas as say dist 9 and 10.

nanhua is very hard to get in nowadays even if you live just next door. so forget this option.

but why consider nanhua? try qifa or clementi primary. those are better schools, in my view. at least kids from these schools speak better english than those in nanhua, who speak better mandarin than english.

rattydrama
19-07-11, 10:44
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/phases/

refer to the above link...anyone know why there is no requirement to be within 1km of school anymore? or I missing something.

I feel that it may not be necessary to seat yr child in top notch primary school but a better neighbourhood school suffice. eg. south view primary. But I am not sure how easy it will be in 3-4 years later.

stalingrad
19-07-11, 10:47

refer to the above link...anyone know why there is no requirement to be within 1km of school anymore? or I missing something.

I feel that it may not be necessary to seat yr child in top notch primary school but a better neighbourhood school suffice. eg. south view primary. But I am not sure how easy it will be in 3-4 years later.

within each phase, those that live within 1km gets priorities.

howgozit
19-07-11, 11:05

More details here, hope it helps

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/allocation/

Good Luck!

rattydrama
19-07-11, 11:31
More details here, hope it helps

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/allocation/

Good Luck!

Thanks! Now, popular neighbourhood school will have to do PV else chance is really slim. What say about 3-4 years later? Cannot imagine.....

And I think those apartments near popular schools, even it is within neighbourhood will continue to be popular and much sort after.

No wonder cannot find a a reasonable good ones based on my initial investment strategy. :banghead:

Hope market can crash & bounced back!!! haha

DC33_2008
19-07-11, 13:10
It's true. It also depends on the character and capacity of the children.
At the end of the day, it all depends on how parents weigh their kids' education and upbringing. I agree what you say, but in general well-off parents have more resources to pour on their children if they want to

amk
19-07-11, 15:01
It is a self-fulfilling prohecy.
of course it's a self-fulfilling prophecy ;) and it will continue to be. why xyz is the top university ? because top students go there.

for me to choose a home (not investment pty) near a school is more for convenience of the studying kid. so kind of buying the pty after ur kid is enrolled. although I know not every one has the luxury of knowing he sure can get a place in xyz school ...

proud_owner, u r exaggerating. I also know of ppl whose daughters did very very well and all went to Cambridge/Oxford. Another one went Columibia just came back. Oh another one going to Stanford this year. See off hand I can count so many already. spoiled kids are everywhere. not just restricted to "good schools".

Eldenfirefly
19-07-11, 15:05
I used to think that way. Until I ended up buying a new place and top of the consideration was because it was near to the school I wanted my kids to go to.

When it comes to kids, often, your heart will overcome your mind. Because as a parent, you want the best for your kids. So, even if there may not be that kind of benefit, a "good" name school will always be preferable to a no name school. And so, as a parent, if you have the power to enable your kids to go to a good school, then you will try your very best to make it happen.

SpinCity
19-07-11, 15:32
I used to think that way. Until I ended up buying a new place and top of the consideration was because it was near to the school I wanted my kids to go to.

When it comes to kids, often, your heart will overcome your mind. Because as a parent, you want the best for your kids. So, even if there may not be that kind of benefit, a "good" name school will always be preferable to a no name school. And so, as a parent, if you have the power to enable your kids to go to a good school, then you will try your very best to make it happen.

I know what you mean and we share the same thoughts regarding parenting.

teddybear
19-07-11, 15:52
Can stand it any more, mouth itchy must :tsk-tsk:

[1] What you said is not true lah. You know why MOE forbid schools to release the results of schools in terms of students getting at least and A for each subjects? You will find that most of the so-called popular schools, there are >95% of students getting at least an A for each subject. that means, >95% of the students get at at least 4A, putting them in the top 10% of all cohort. That means, they also get into the top 20 Secondary schools! That means: any kid that get into that "popular" school has >95% of getting into the top 20 secondary schools! You go compare that with the average neigbourhood school, it was like only about <=40% students getting at least an A for each subject!

[2] Home environment is important, but given that nowsadays both parents are working and get to interact and spend less time with kids, but kids stay in school half day for lessons and half day for CCAs, isn't school environment and their companions (school mates) even more important? :doh: So, all the more important to get kids into "popular" schools where all their classmates are the kids of "so-and-so rich and/or famous and/or influential" or at least the highly educated professionals! They will benefit immersely from the high-class and powerful earth-moving contacts in future! There may be some spoilt kids, but it is still better to be in their companion than the hooligans in the neighbourhood schools! :scared-2:

Finally, [1] after discounting the GEP classes of these "good" schools, the percentage of students remaining that cross over to the IP schools are not significantly better than those from the "normal" schools.

IMHO, the best way is to ensure a child meets his potential is to have the mother at home when he is back from school to ensure that he does his homework and develop good study habits. If need be, maybe a tuition class. The class ratio in any school (other than GEP of course) is about the same. The teachers are about the same. Other than the child's own IQ, [2] it is the home environment that makes the most difference.

teddybear
19-07-11, 16:04
Very funny you know. For each 1 example you quote here produced from the good schools, the neighbourhood schools produced several more of such vain girls whose parents have no means to support them but they still party away anyway and find all means to get free drinks etc in exchange for free sex.... :doh:

Similar stories for the boys.

stalingrad
19-07-11, 16:29

[1] What you said is not true lah. You know why MOE forbid schools to release the results of schools in terms of students getting at least and A for each subjects? You will find that most of the so-called popular schools, there are >95% of students getting at least an A for each subject. that means, >95% of the students get at at least 4A, putting them in the top 10% of all cohort. That means, they also get into the top 20 Secondary schools! That means: any kid that get into that "popular" school has >95% of getting into the top 20 secondary schools! You go compare that with the average neigbourhood school, it was like only about <=40% students getting at least an A for each subject!

[2] Home environment is important, but given that nowsadays both parents are working and get to interact and spend less time with kids, but kids stay in school half day for lessons and half day for CCAs, isn't school environment and their companions (school mates) even more important? :doh: So, all the more important to get kids into "popular" schools where all their classmates are the kids of "so-and-so rich and/or famous and/or influential" or at least the highly educated professionals! They will benefit immersely from the high-class and powerful earth-moving contacts in future! There may be some spoilt kids, but it is still better to be in their companion than the hooligans in the neighbourhood schools! :scared-2:
the good results of these popular schools are not the product of better teaching. rather, it is the result of better input, smarter kids and richer parents that can afford to send their kids to cram schools called euphemistically enrichment centers. yuck!!!

stalingrad
19-07-11, 16:33
of course it's a self-fulfilling prophecy ;) and it will continue to be. why xyz is the top university ? because top students go there.

for me to choose a home (not investment pty) near a school is more for convenience of the studying kid. so kind of buying the pty after ur kid is enrolled. although I know not every one has the luxury of knowing he sure can get a place in xyz school ...

proud_owner, u r exaggerating. I also know of ppl whose daughters did very very well and all went to Cambridge/Oxford. Another one went Columibia just came back. Oh another one going to Stanford this year. See off hand I can count so many already. spoiled kids are everywhere. not just restricted to "good schools".
the question is not whether they can go to harvard, MIT or stanford. the question is what they can do with these degrees. Many singaporeans have expensive degrees, but they cannot think creatively and are destined for office jobs. the education system here cannot create anyone remotely close to mark Zuckerberg. the system creates non thinking robots that think taking exams is the purpose of life.

I have many singaporean friends who have ivy league diplomas. but for me they are worse than high school graduates. their brains have been fried by the rote learing they were put through in the school system here. they can only answer narrowly defined questions, but ask them to do independent research, they would rather jump off the cliff.

the system in this country is perfect for countries that depend on MNE, not home grown enterprises. and singapore is a MNE country.

proud owner
19-07-11, 16:36

i am not exaggerating ...

i am trying to state a fact that good school does not equate to good student or that they will not go astray ..

in fact that particular case ..her gang friends are all from rich background and same class ..

so good school doesnt necessarily mean good influence

i dont deny good schools produce some top students ..

but we mustnt deny that some average schools also have top students

proud owner
19-07-11, 16:40
Very funny you know. For each 1 example you quote here produced from the good schools, the neighbourhood schools produced several more of such vain girls whose parents have no means to support them but they still party away anyway and find all means to get free drinks etc in exchange for free sex.... :doh:

Similar stories for the boys.

i dont deny that either ...

so if a neighbourhood school produces a Top student ... do we give credit to the school ? or the student ?

stalingrad
19-07-11, 16:40
i am not exaggerating ...

i am trying to state a fact that good school does not equate to good student or that they will not go astray ..

in fact that particular case ..her gang friends are all from rich background and same class ..

so good school doesnt necessarily mean good influence

i dont deny good schools produce some top students ..

but we mustnt deny that some average schools also have top students

produce top students for sitting on their butts in the office all day, not creating world class enterprises like facebook.

windcar
19-07-11, 16:53
The average and mean better PSLE/O level score of students from good school will always be much better as compared to others.
I do not deny that neighbourhood school does produce some good students, but chances are much higher in better schools.

Eldenfirefly
19-07-11, 17:09
I am sure we also would love to have a facebook creator or google creator come out of our education system. But being an entrepreneur doesn't mean automatic success. For every facebook creator, there are probably thousands of failed ventures left along the wayside.

Are you prepared for that kind of statistic? So, for every mega billionaire you might create, you may also see thousands of dropouts who will just get by. The private sector is a harsh one. 80% of the profits and revenue is earned by the top 20%, maybe even the top 10%. The rest of the people in the game are just fighting or living from the remaining scraps.

I think sometimes, its easy to say our education system caters too much to producing good workers only. But honestly, there is a reson why there are only so few billianiaires around.

I prefer to see this in another way. Our system has produced a country with the most number of millionaires on a percentage basis. So, which is better? To have everyone at an average lower level, with a few people who are the Li Ka Shings of Singapore, or to have a much higher number of people who are quite well off, but fewer Li Ka Shings?

teddybear
19-07-11, 17:23
Still, you can't deny the fact that once your kid get in, based on the school results, you can be >95% confident that he/she will be in the top 10% cohort and get into top 10 best secondary schools? :p
Isn't that what parents look forward to?
We have not even talked about other benefits yet. :cheers1:

the good results of these popular schools are not the product of better teaching. rather, it is the result of better input, smarter kids and richer parents that can afford to send their kids to cram schools called euphemistically enrichment centers. yuck!!!

stalingrad
19-07-11, 19:46
Still, you can't deny the fact that once your kid get in, based on the school results, you can be >95% confident that he/she will be in the top 10% cohort and get into top 10 best secondary schools? :p
Isn't that what parents look forward to?
We have not even talked about other benefits yet. :cheers1:

I hope MOE would look at Teddy and say "this is a sign that the system has failed and need to be fixed."

Teddy, you have a tendency to mistake effect for cause, suggesting poor school training, probaby the result of too many hours spent in cram school and not enough time to explore on your own. If the good performance of popular schools is due to bright students, not better teaching methods, then you kids will not do well if they are not bright even if you send them to the best school. by the same token, if your kids are bright, then they will be good students wherever they go, even if they study at woodlands primary. in other words, if your kids are not bright, the 95% figure will never include your kids, even if they are in the best school, and pass motion with the best students. high IQ does not rub off, if you get my drift.

teddybear
19-07-11, 20:09
PV will be difficult for SCGS!

Yeah, within 1km of SC also lies ACPS and SJI. The area is still mostly landed or low-density condos, and is far away from Newton which is getting overcrowded. Definitely will pitch for PV :)

(and to think i use to laff at my mates who used to talk about PV)

teddybear
19-07-11, 20:26
What failed? MOE failed mainly because they did not give enough priority to singapore citizens! They should change the system such that PRs are only eligible for phase 3 & foreigners phase 4! They should just scrap priority for Grassroots & PVs! Why should anybody affiliated to a political party have priority? Why should parents be treated like free labors for schools & MOE through PVs?

You like it or not, 99.999% of all kids have same mental capability, it is through nurturing that they become better. So people know where to hedge their bet if their kids are just average, & take advantage of the connections that come from the schools to make themselves successful in life when they grow up. I am just being frank here. Don't think many people want to reveal such inner secrets! :p

I hope MOE would look at Teddy and say "this is a sign that the system has failed and need to be fixed."

Teddy, you have a tendency to mistake effect for cause, suggesting poor school training, probaby the result of too many hours spent in cram school and not enough time to explore on your own. If the good performance of popular schools is due to bright students, not better teaching methods, then you kids will not do well if they are not bright even if you send them to the best school. by the same token, if your kids are bright, then they will be good students wherever they go, even if they study at woodlands primary. in other words, if your kids are not bright, the 95% figure will never include your kids, even if they are in the best school, and pass motion with the best students. high IQ does not rub off, if you get my drift.

cl0ver
19-07-11, 22:56
i think its all in the genes....
if parents are smart or cunning, the kids will follow...
the Chinese like to say that graduate parents produces graduate kids...
true?

19-07-11, 23:08
i think its all in the genes....
if parents are smart or cunning, the kids will follow...
the Chinese like to say that graduate parents produces graduate kids...
true?

Sure or not??? Graduate parents produce graduate kids????:rolleyes:

So what about non-graduates or even illiterate parents? Can u tell me What kind of kids do they produce?

19-07-11, 23:13
Btw, clover, what u said reminded me about a politician who once commented that graduates should marry each other...... If I remember correctly, there was a huge uproar after that comment went out.

You want to risk that here????? :scared-3: :scared-3:

cl0ver
19-07-11, 23:39
it's just a saying la.... i know some aunties like to say that.....

in some countries, there is what they call a poverty gap.
farmers will not be able to send kids to school, so kids will become farmers....
hence, upbringing is important. if you can make the effort to give your kids a chance at something better, they at least get the opportunity which many do not have the luxury for, albeit even basic opportunities like education.

howgozit
20-07-11, 03:18

Ha ha..... I think it is both funny and sad the way you think.

First of all, I was referring to transition to IP schools. There are IP schools and then there are "the rest". If you are not in an IP school, you are in "the rest" no matter how top that school is. I mean no disrespect to these schools, but it is near impossible to get into HCI, RJC...etc after your 'O' levels. Even crossovers btw IP schools are very competitive and GPA scores must be very high.

If your child is not in that category why stress him/her to study so hard and place so much emphasis on academics?

If you think >95% of the so-called popular primary schools (less GEP) make it to IP schools, than you are sorely mistaken. I take it you either don't have kids or your kids have not reached that stage yet.

With the exception of ACS(I) which has fraternal links, all the IPS accept the students based on either merit or DSA (with a pre-requisite GAT-General Abilty Test). I assure you the spread of students in the IP schools are fairly in line with the demographic. They are quite a motley crew of students.

Sure there are minister's or top businessman's kids there, that's because they inherited the smart genes not because of which primary school they went.

Anyway, we are talking about primary schools here. So what if a child has parents that are rich, famous or influential? I wouldn't ask my kids to fraternise with them just because of that. Kids must have the freedom to choose their own friends and not be in awe of these so-called "rich/famous/influential" kids.

Just imagine, you worm your kid into one of these "popular" primary schools but your kid fails to make it to the IP schools like the minister's kids. What do you think that does for your kid's self-esteem?

howgozit
20-07-11, 03:51
You like it or not, 99.999% of all kids have same mental capability, it is through nurturing that they become better.

This is so very untrue, its laughable that you think this way.

You cannot improve your IQ. You can only nurture to optimise what you are born with. This is precisely why "education" in Singapore has gone bonkers. Everyone believes their child can become a scholar through "nurturing". And by "nurturing" in Singapore it means heaps and heaps of tuition.

howgozit
20-07-11, 03:57
. So people know where to hedge their bet if their kids are just average, & take advantage of the connections that come from the schools to make themselves successful in life when they grow up. I am just being frank here. Don't think many people want to reveal such inner secrets! :p

Connections from primary school??!! You sure??!!

howgozit
20-07-11, 04:20
Before I get misunderstood, let me state that I am not belittling parents who mean well for their child and want the best for them. I can empathise with that.

Other than moving within 1km, doing PV and donating, I have also heard of people changing religion or even Cantonese claiming to be Hokkien just to get their child into a choice school. All these actions show the love parents have for their child.

But if all your best efforts fail to get your child in a choice primary school, all is not lost. All schools and teachers are more or less the same, if your child has what it takes, he will still shine at PSLE and go on to a good secondary school (IP or otherwise). It's there where strong bonds begin to forge and set him for life. Cheers!

ysyap
20-07-11, 06:38
Before I get misunderstood, let me state that I am not belittling parents who mean well for their child and want the best for them. I can empathise with that.

Other than moving within 1km, doing PV and donating, I have also heard of people changing religion or even Cantonese claiming to be Hokkien just to get their child into a choice school. All these actions show the love parents have for their child.

But if all your best efforts fail to get your child in a choice primary school, all is not lost. All schools and teachers are more or less the same, if your child has what it takes, he will still shine at PSLE and go on to a good secondary school (IP or otherwise). It's there where strong bonds begin to forge and set him for life. Cheers!No misunderstanding. You are only against teddy! I won't send my kid to the elite schools and subject him/her to those harsh environment. It gets too pressurized in these places. Just a good enough school will do.... :spliff:

McKinnon
20-07-11, 06:51
You are spot on. I used to tell others all schools are the same until my turn to register came. So many considerations popped up but ultimately our parental instincts to try our best for our kid kicked in.

A good school is a gift for your kids and their future generations. :)

hopeful
20-07-11, 09:45
the debate nature vs nurture still goes on? :doh:

nurture - criminals will blame their parents' lack of loving for turning them into criminals.
nature - criminals will blame their parents' gene set for turning them into criminals.

well, it depends on expectations.
Scientists did an experiment. They compile a group of average students. They randomly selected students A to F to be classified as good students.
Then they inform the teachers students A to F are good students.
They observed that teachers paid more attention to students A to F.
As a consequence, students A to F performed better in tests.

Similarly to good schools and bad schools.
In bad schools, teachers (consciously or subconsciously) think that students are stupid, so they dont have much expectation from them, so ......
The reverse in good schools......

Eldenfirefly
20-07-11, 10:10
When you have your own kids and it is their turn, you will understand lah. Its a guilt trip that you just don't want to go through. let's say you have the ability, the means, the option to put your kid into a "named" school.

You choose not to, you put him in a no name neighbourhood school.

Fine, he could be happier (or not?). Maybe he will do really well in studies, after which by secondary, he will end up in a named school anyway.

But what if he doesn't do well? Then, for your whole life after that, you will be asking yourself "what if I had put him in that named school? maybe he would have done better." And you can't turn back the clock. You can't change his school anymore since his bad results won't get him into that school anymore. YOu will now have to live with that guilt forever.

Alternatively. You take the option. You can and you do send him to a named school. He does well, you are happy. You did your part as a parent. Maybe the school had absolutely nothing to do with it, but who cares, he is doing well.

Or, you take the option. He doesn't do well! But, at least you tried. You have done everything within your power as a parent to stack the odds in his favour. But he didn't take the advantages he had. So, at least you don't feel any guilt. You have honestly tried your best, but some thing ultimately still need the child himself to do. You can't sit for that exam for him.

So you see? When all has been said and done, if you have the means, the option, you will still take it. The people who are able to send their kids to a named school and purposely choose not to are a minority.

stalingrad
20-07-11, 10:23
What failed? MOE failed mainly because they did not give enough priority to singapore citizens! They should change the system such that PRs are only eligible for phase 3 & foreigners phase 4! They should just scrap priority for Grassroots & PVs! Why should anybody affiliated to a political party have priority? Why should parents be treated like free labors for schools & MOE through PVs?

You like it or not, 99.999% of all kids have same mental capability, it is through nurturing that they become better. So people know where to hedge their bet if their kids are just average, & take advantage of the connections that come from the schools to make themselves successful in life when they grow up. I am just being frank here. Don't think many people want to reveal such inner secrets! :p

99.999%? wow, teddy, you are sure good at taking a hare out a top hat.

humans come in all colors and different grades of mental sharpness. the top 20% scorers on IQ test are like day and night compared with the bottom 20% scorers.

MOE should look at you and say "the system has failed, as indicated by the style of debate exhibited by Teddy, all lies and no substance."

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 10:26
So. My parents did the right thing when he paid a security guard to stand in the queue to get me a place in a "named" school. My children can be there becos of me. The future generation also benefitted from their wise action then.
When you have your own kids and it is their turn, you will understand lah. Its a guilt trip that you just don't want to go through. let's say you have the ability, the means, the option to put your kid into a "named" school.

Fine, he could be happier (or not?). Maybe he will do really well in studies, after which by secondary, he will end up in a named school anyway.

But what if he doesn't do well? Then, for your whole life after that, you will be asking yourself "what if I had put him in that named school? maybe he would have done better." And you can't turn back the clock. You can't change his school anymore since his bad results won't get him into that school anymore. YOu will now have to live with that guilt forever.

Alternatively. You take the option. You can and you do send him to a named school. He does well, you are happy. You did your part as a parent. Maybe the school had absolutely nothing to do with it, but who cares, he is doing well.

Or, you take the option. He doesn't do well! But, at least you tried. You have done everything within your power as a parent to stack the odds in his favour. But he didn't take the advantages he had. So, at least you don't feel any guilt. You have honestly tried your best, but some thing ultimately still need the child himself to do. You can't sit for that exam for him.

So you see? When all has been said and done, if you have the means, the option, you will still take it. The people who are able to send their kids to a named school and purposely choose not to are a minority.

stalingrad
20-07-11, 10:30

don't try too hard. kids will do well where they go if they are bright.

if your kids are kind of mediocre, sending him to "good" schools will destroy him intellectually and spiritually.

trying hard in the world is not the same as making intelligent decisions.

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 10:34
Agreed! TOP grader does not equate to TOP earner. There are BOTTOM grader who employs TOP grader to make $ for them. BOTTOM grader has nothing to loose while TOP grader has a lot to lose when venturing outside.
don't try too hard. kids will do well where they go if they are bright.

if your kids are kind of mediocre, sending him to "good" schools will destroy him intellectually and spiritually.

trying hard in the world is not the same as making intelligent decisions.

Jadey
20-07-11, 10:34
http://www.theclearpill.com/images/header01.jpg

amk
20-07-11, 10:42
staling then why did you try to send ur kid to Nanhua ? since u dun believe in "named" schools ?

stalingrad
20-07-11, 10:45
staling then why did you try to send ur kid to Nanhua ? since u dun believe in "named" schools ?
we live nearby. What else can we do?

Eldenfirefly
20-07-11, 10:47
Agreed! TOP grader does not equate to TOP earner. There are BOTTOM grader who employs TOP grader to make $ for them. BOTTOM grader has nothing to loose while TOP grader has a lot to lose when venturing outside.

True. So as a parent, cannot be too one track minded lor. For some kids, acadamic is just not their thing. But even so, a basic education is still important. If you can't read, write or do basic math properly, even if you want to start your own business next time, it will be tough.

I don't want to insist that my kids next time go out and must be doctor, or lawyer, etc. But I know that having a good education will increase their chances in life. As I said, the odds are stacked in their favour instead of against them.

I am sure we can find some examples of some school dropout that become big tow kay. Heck I heard Bill Gates was a school drop out! But then again, let's not forget, for that one single Bill Gates school drop out who suceeded, there are probably thousands more school drop outs who are in a dead end job just getting by...

amk
20-07-11, 10:49

ur post is fair. to be honest most parents know best school does not always mean best result. however, just as Eldenfirefly put it, parents feel responsible to do it. It's not a matter of what you ultimately believe. also trust me, most parents won't feel it's end of the world if they can't get in. so no need to console them when it happens ;) S'poreans are just kiasu. No harm trying.

stalingrad
20-07-11, 10:51
ur post is fair. to be honest most parents know best school does not mean best result. however, just as Eldenfirefly put it, parents feel responsible to do it. It's not a matter of what you ultimately believe. also trust me, most parents won't feel it's end of the world if they can't get in. so no need to console them when it happens ;) S'poreans are just kiasu. No harm trying.

that is right.

no harm trying, but no tears when stymied. that should be the attitude.

amk
20-07-11, 10:53
we live nearby. What else can we do?

u can try qifa right ? why u never try ?

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 10:55
I fully agree with you. We are providing more than basic education for our children in today's context. Like Stralingrad, get a FH property near the "named" school and get your children in there and enjoy the benefits in capital gain of property and do not have headache of future generation in getting a place in a "named" school. My parents did that too. Pity those children who have to wake up so early and travel long distance to make it to a "named" school.
True. So as a parent, cannot be too one track minded lor. For some kids, acadamic is just not their thing. But even so, a basic education is still important. If you can't read, write or do basic math properly, even if you want to start your own business next time, it will be tough.

I don't want to insist that my kids next time go out and must be doctor, or lawyer, etc. But I know that having a good education will increase their chances in life. As I said, the odds are stacked in their favour instead of against them.

I am sure we can find some examples of some school dropout that become big tow kay. Heck I heard Bill Gates was a school drop out! But then again, let's not forget, for that one single Bill Gates school drop out who suceeded, there are probably thousands more school drop outs who are in a dead end job just getting by...

Eldenfirefly
20-07-11, 10:59
I fully agree with you. We are providing more than basic education for our children in today's context. Like Stralingrad, get a FH property near the "named" school and get your children in there and enjoy the benefits in capital gain of property and do not have headache of future generation in getting a place in a "named" school. My parents did that too. Pity those children who have to wake up so early and travel long distance to make it to a "named" school.

I never think so far until future generation beyond my kids lar. Unless you only have one single child and plan to leave it to him, still ok. Otherwise, what if you have two or three kids? Then next time they end up in newspaper quarreling and going to court over that house laggi worse! :scared-3:

stalingrad
20-07-11, 11:00
u can try qifa right ? why u never try ?

We actually almost went to Qifa, and we were impressed with the principal. At least she spoke english better than the Nanhua principal.

we ended up going to Canadian School because we were moving back to Toronto in a few years, and the schedule is more convenient. at canadian school, school hours are 9am to 3pm. at Qifa, it is 6am to 1pm. It is tough for kids that sleep late and get up late.

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 11:06
The teachings and family bonding are therefore important. You can see those fighting over parents' properties are quite well to do people. Very sad. They could be from 'named' schools too! Otherwise, just get a few properties there.
I never think so far until future generation beyond my kids lar. Unless you only have one single child and plan to leave it to him, still ok. Otherwise, what if you have two or three kids? Then next time they end up in newspaper quarreling and going to court over that house laggi worse! :scared-3:

Eldenfirefly
20-07-11, 11:15
The teachings and family bonding are therefore important. You can see those fighting over parents' properties are quite well to do people. Very sad. They could be from 'named' schools too! Otherwise, just get a few properties there.

Got a saying "Money is the root of all evil." A bunglow now already a few million. 20 years later, how many more million will it be? When people are presented with the chance to get that kind of money, they can lui ching bu ren already. Even if father still alive also can happily go to court and fight it out.

If you have more than 1 child (say 2 or more), and you have wealth to leave behind. Then my advice. Spell it out very very clearly in a will. If you find yourself getting so old that you fear that mentally, you will no longer be capable of making decision. Then at that point, tell your lawyer you will not be signing any further documents because you doubt your mental capacity to do so. Then treat your affairs like you are dying, then make it clear to your kids and tell them you are not signing any future documents or will ever!

Family harmony more important than money. Don't give your kids the temptation. Sometimes, when they are married, then its not just them already. They also have a spouse who is telling them all sorts of things. Cannot assume that just because they are family means they won't be tempted with money. Even if they aren't, what if their spouse is? They may listen to you as a father, but they may listen to their spouse even more!

cl0ver
20-07-11, 11:49
i think its good that parents do some research and some even visit schools to speak to the principal or get references from friends, relatives, etc before making a decision.
It would be silly to just base on feedback from kiasuparents and see the top ranking list and then aim for those schools. that is really a failure on the parents part where they chose to follow the crowd...

we can't compare to our parents era. There was no internet so the research is only that much they could do from hearsay....
today, we have so many tools, i mean look at the registration process, parents are well equipped with online data on vacancy status on schools under their radar to see how their options pan out.....
some only register at the last minute to ensure greater success!

SpinCity
20-07-11, 13:11
Duplicate. Delete

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 13:23
Fully agree that Money is the roots of all evil. Kids are very smart these days. In fact, they are so smarter than what we think. Fortunately, we know them very well from young in terms of character as we are their parents. You can hide other form of investments but not properties. Well, we just have to manage them. Anyone can have a will drafted by lawyer starting at 21 years old. I believe it has to be fair otherwise it will create friction amongs the siblings. Besides will, set-up a Trust to control the money left behind to them.
Got a saying "Money is the root of all evil." A bunglow now already a few million. 20 years later, how many more million will it be? When people are presented with the chance to get that kind of money, they can lui ching bu ren already. Even if father still alive also can happily go to court and fight it out.

If you have more than 1 child (say 2 or more), and you have wealth to leave behind. Then my advice. Spell it out very very clearly in a will. If you find yourself getting so old that you fear that mentally, you will no longer be capable of making decision. Then at that point, tell your lawyer you will not be signing any further documents because you doubt your mental capacity to do so. Then treat your affairs like you are dying, then make it clear to your kids and tell them you are not signing any future documents or will ever!

Family harmony more important than money. Don't give your kids the temptation. Sometimes, when they are married, then its not just them already. They also have a spouse who is telling them all sorts of things. Cannot assume that just because they are family means they won't be tempted with money. Even if they aren't, what if their spouse is? They may listen to you as a father, but they may listen to their spouse even more!

ysyap
20-07-11, 15:41
Fully agree that Money is the roots of all evil. Kids are very smart these days. In fact, they are so smarter than what we think. Fortunately, we know them very well from young in terms of character as we are their parents. You can hide other form of investments but not properties. Well, we just have to manage them. Anyone can have a will drafted by lawyer starting at 21 years old. I believe it has to be fair otherwise it will create friction amongs the siblings. Besides will, set-up a Trust to control the money left behind to them.Good for you. I do not have so much cash to leave my kids or at least I don't expect to have so much. I'll travel till I drop in my golden years... hahaha! Nothing left except only 1 or 2 pieces of properties with no cash! No need trust!!! :p

cl0ver
20-07-11, 17:39
1-2 properties in Singapore in the future should be worth millions....
and kids normally fight over inheritance of your property, not your cash....
ahhahahaha

but the key is to make them independant. i will only fund them up till university. after that they are on their own. would even encourage them to move out! dont understand why some children still live with their parents into their 30s....

DC33_2008
20-07-11, 18:12
Properties are better than cash as cash will devalue with time. Just like what my parents pay for a 10,000sqft FH land 50 years ago. It has gone up by more than 400 times in current price
Good for you. I do not have so much cash to leave my kids or at least I don't expect to have so much. I'll travel till I drop in my golden years... hahaha! Nothing left except only 1 or 2 pieces of properties with no cash! No need trust!!! :p

Eldenfirefly
20-07-11, 18:26
If not properly addressed, even one single property also enough to cause people to go to court and air all the dirty laundry. Money can do strange things to people sometimes.

land118
20-07-11, 18:29
Properties are better than cash as cash will devalue with time. Just like what my parents pay for a 10,000sqft FH land 50 years ago. It has gone up by more than 400 times in current price

Lucky u. What do you think if FH landed grow by average nett 5% YoY for 50years. Should be quite possible ?

10k sqft FH land
1960: $25k
2011: $10m
2061: ?>$100m

chiaberry
20-07-11, 20:11
Good for you. I do not have so much cash to leave my kids or at least I don't expect to have so much. I'll travel till I drop in my golden years... hahaha! Nothing left except only 1 or 2 pieces of properties with no cash! No need trust!!! :p

;) Yep totally agreed. Should travel once the kids are independent. You never know when your health might take a turn for the worse. It seems to me that our generation is not as hardy as those in our parents' generation. I think we are subject to more stress and unhealthy life style factors than they were (eg junk food, pollution).

wind30
20-07-11, 22:29
Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! :D Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

I want to stay near Rosyth because both my wife and me are from Rosyth.

Tiring for the kid if she has to travel far to go to school. I remember I got to get on my school bus at 6am to go to Rosyth Primary when young. Granted that the bus trip was pretty fun as we played lots of games, it is still a big waste of time.

wind30
20-07-11, 22:32
Put your child in a primary school of your convenience. If his IQ belongs to the top 1-2% of his cohort, he will be in GEP where you can pick and choose the school you want. If he is not GEP material, all is not lost, with the right coaching and direction, he will still make it if he has the qualities.

Get him to right IP school, that's where it counts. If he is not IP material, than relax, your child is like the rest of the 90% of Singaporeans.

I am from Heng Ah Khe Bong primary from p1-3 and Rosyth from p4-6. I have been in a really BAD primary school and a really good primary school.

Seriously your peers does make a LOT of difference to your schooling life. It is not about the school or the teachers, but the classmates.

wind30
20-07-11, 22:33
;) Yep totally agreed. Should travel once the kids are independent. You never know when your health might take a turn for the worse. It seems to me that our generation is not as hardy as those in our parents' generation. I think we are subject to more stress and unhealthy life style factors than they were (eg junk food, pollution).

why wait until your kid is independent? Can travel when your kid are small. Very fun actually.

ysyap
20-07-11, 22:34
I want to stay near Rosyth because both my wife and me are from Rosyth.

Tiring for the kid if she has to travel far to go to school. I remember I got to get on my school bus at 6am to go to Rosyth Primary when young. Granted that the bus trip was pretty fun as we played lots of games, it is still a big waste of time.If you don't qualify to buy HDB, then you can't stay across the road to your old school. Terrasse is calling out to you... :p

howgozit
21-07-11, 00:25
I am from Heng Ah Khe Bong primary from p1-3 and Rosyth from p4-6. I have been in a really BAD primary school and a really good primary school.

Seriously your peers does make a LOT of difference to your schooling life. It is not about the school or the teachers, but the classmates.

I totally agree that you want your kids to be in the right company. By right company, I mean peers that have a correct attitude towards school life and learning.... etc Not like what teddybear said about making connections with children of famous/rich/influential parents. I believe the motive must be right.

Most of the kids drift into bad behaviour in secondary school not primary school. That's where the acadamically weaker students are sifted by the system to come together and foster even worse behaviour.

Btw, out of curiosity, why did you move from Heng A Khe Bong to Rosyth and bear suffering waking up at 6am? In Toa Payoh at that time there was Pei Chun, Poi Ching which are fairly good schools. Would it be because of GEP?

chiaberry
21-07-11, 01:30
why wait until your kid is independent? Can travel when your kid are small. Very fun actually.

No the family holidays are separate. We also want to go for activities and places that the children don't want to join in.

ysyap
21-07-11, 06:16
Agreed. There are some places that do not appeal to kids but more for adults like the silk road or the mediterranean countries which the young kids will most certainly find them boring. :scared-4:

chiaberry
21-07-11, 07:17
Agreed. There are some places that do not appeal to kids but more for adults like the silk road or the mediterranean countries which the young kids will most certainly find them boring. :scared-4:

Yeah anyway after a certain age, the kids would rather go with their friends than with us.

proud owner
21-07-11, 08:29
just a friendly reminder ...

stick to the title of the thread ...

otherwise Jadey will complain ....:)

DC33_2008
21-07-11, 09:02
For teenage kids, we want them to be in the better class if not the brst in that cohort in that school. At least they hve better company.
Yeah anyway after a certain age, the kids would rather go with their friends than with us.

Eldenfirefly
21-07-11, 10:03
Anyway, just to bring back to topic. near to a good primary school, like it or not, is one of the draws for a property. Near to a good secondary school maybe not so much, but primary school definitley.

Yet, strangely enough, people don't want their house to be right next to a primary school or facing it for that matter. It gets very noisy. So, they want it to be near so that it has better resale value, but they don't want it to be right next to it. Wierd right? :)

SpinCity
21-07-11, 10:09
Anyway, just to bring back to topic. near to a good primary school, like it or not, is one of the draws for a property. Near to a good secondary school maybe not so much, but primary school definitley.

Yet, strangely enough, people don't want their house to be right next to a primary school or facing it for that matter. It gets very noisy. So, they want it to be near so that it has better resale value, but they don't want it to be right next to it. Wierd right? :)
Just like people want their house to be near MRT station, but not right next to it, isn't it

ysyap
21-07-11, 11:24

Yet, strangely enough, people don't want their house to be right next to a primary school or facing it for that matter. It gets very noisy. So, they want it to be near so that it has better resale value, but they don't want it to be right next to it. Wierd right? :)I heard someone commented another reason why people don't like houses to be directly beside the school is if the parent pay good money to stay just beside the school but was unsuccessful in getting their child in, then every morning when the school reminds them of patriotism, they will also be reminded of their failed attempts for the next many years! :doh: Worse still they are not Singaporeans who have to listen to Majulah Singapura every school day morning! :spliff:

teddybear
21-07-11, 14:43
Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!". Some people do want others to believe so so that there will be less people to fight with their kids for places in the "named" schools. :rolleyes:

So, won't the greatest company be kids in the "named" schools where they will forge great & reliable long-term friendship isn't it? What best than to make great and reliable long-term friendship with those who will be future influential politicians, business leaders, big bosses, etc? Won't that be the greatest help for their future work/political etc career and businesses (if they become own bosses)? :cheers1:
You are saying that kids from "named" schools do not have a correct attitude towards school life and learning? :tsk-tsk:

I totally agree that you want your kids to be in the right company. By right company, I mean peers that have a correct attitude towards school life and learning.... etc Not like what teddybear said about making connections with children of famous/rich/influential parents. I believe the motive must be right.

Most of the kids drift into bad behaviour in secondary school not primary school. That's where the acadamically weaker students are sifted by the system to come together and foster even worse behaviour.

Btw, out of curiosity, why did you move from Heng A Khe Bong to Rosyth and bear suffering waking up at 6am? In Toa Payoh at that time there was Pei Chun, Poi Ching which are fairly good schools. Would it be because of GEP?

fclim
21-07-11, 15:50
Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!". Some people do want others to believe so so that there will be less people to fight with their kids for places in the "named" schools. :rolleyes:

So, won't the greatest company be kids in the "named" schools where they will forge great & reliable long-term friendship isn't it? What best than to make great and reliable long-term friendship with those who will be future influential politicians, business leaders, big bosses, etc? Won't that be the greatest help for their future work/political etc career and businesses (if they become own bosses)? :cheers1:
You are saying that kids from "named" schools do not have a correct attitude towards school life and learning? :tsk-tsk:

You obviously do not have kids or they are very young. After primary six, the kids move on to secondary school and make new friends there. You will be teaching your kids all the wrong values if you tell them that they are in the school to network for life.

DC33_2008
21-07-11, 16:25
Students in some mission schools have very strong ties and community spirit especially for the true blue ones. They are connected very well even when they are meet each other in working life. They do not need to be told and they is a natural bonding and look after each other.

teddybear
21-07-11, 18:15
Don't need to teach one, just put them together & naturally they become friends. :p
And by the way, most will continue to their affiliated "named" sec school anyway. The left over vacancy in that named sec sch then leave to outside applicants. :D

You obviously do not have kids or they are very young. After primary six, the kids move on to secondary school and make new friends there. You will be teaching your kids all the wrong values if you tell them that they are in the school to network for life.

wind30
21-07-11, 20:31

I was Pri 3 at that time. I did not know I had to wake up at 6am. It was because of GEP and in those days there were only TWO schools that offer GEP. ACS primary and Rosyth.

My parents put me into Heng Ah Khe Bong... I don't think they will be so hardworking as to transfer me to PieChun at P3.

cl0ver
21-07-11, 23:32
Ha ha ha! I am just being brunt because I don't beat around the bush. Great friendships are forged when young. I won't be a hypocrite to say that "no doesn't matter, you still make great & reliable friends when you go to Pre-U & University!".

i doubt it, how many primary school friends that you are still in contact with? maybe FB helped a bit but i think lasting friends are the ones in university because they are the ones that journey into adulthood together....

teddybear
21-07-11, 23:47
Many.

University friends? Mostly all "surface surface" friends, all be-friends and contact you when they need your help 1 way or another and then disappear thereafter. Nowsadays Pre-U friends also untrust-worthy (heard many parents commenting), many like that "get out of my elit's face" type, and say 1 thing and do another or say different thing behind your back! You heard of the incidents related by Lee Wei Ling on Straits Times regarding those RJC students? :doh:

i doubt it, how many primary school friends that you are still in contact with? maybe FB helped a bit but i think lasting friends are the ones in university because they are the ones that journey into adulthood together....

ysyap
22-07-11, 06:43
Different people have different dynamics with friends. Some make good pri sch friends, some sec school while others tertiary and uni. I for one are no longer in contact with my pri and sec sch friends (lost contact) and meet JC and uni friends only about once a year or something. So I probably belong to the super no network person. Different people have different friendship dynamics lah! :D

x11
22-07-11, 21:41
a friend got into a "named" school via ballot this morning ... darn lucky, ballot also can get :tongue3:

now he asking to purchase a place near the "named" school.

so some parents will shift to a place near a "named" school only after confirming that their child can gain admission.

so anyone want to provide suggestions for a place "near" NYPS?

- 3 bedroom
- $1.5M max
- freehold preferred
- walking distance to NYPS

i think his criteria quite tough to fulfill :tongue3:

here's one that i emailed him
http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/hdb-for-sale-1-queen-s-road-5171942

doesn't fulfill his freehold criteria ... but HDB asking for $900K :doh:

bargain hunter
22-07-11, 22:26
if he got in this morning via balloting, then its phase 2B so at least he has done some volunteer work lah. not like he din do anything. :)

i agree. get in liao then buy near location.

old old http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/3142034/for-sale-lutheran-towers also not bad what. :) BIG somemore.

FH also have but shelford area:

Brand new but mickey mouse:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1365093/for-sale-d-chateau-shelford

older:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/4928147/for-sale-nineteen-shelford-road

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/4713935/for-sale-adam-park-condominium

a friend got into a "named" school via ballot this morning ... darn lucky, ballot also can get :tongue3:

so some parents will shift to a place near a "named" school only after confirming that their child can gain admission.

- 3 bedroom
- $1.5M max
- freehold preferred

x11
23-07-11, 06:26
if he got in this morning via balloting, then its phase 2B so at least he has done some volunteer work lah. not like he din do anything. :)

i agree. get in liao then buy near location.

old old http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/3142034/for-sale-lutheran-towers also not bad what. :) BIG somemore.

FH also have but shelford area:

Brand new but mickey mouse:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/1365093/for-sale-d-chateau-shelford

older:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/4928147/for-sale-nineteen-shelford-road

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/4713935/for-sale-adam-park-condominium

thanks. must ask him to come here and "share" how he got in.

adam park looks interesting. is shelford area a little off the radar? D11, freehold, $13XXpsf, 800m to Botanic Garden MRT, that sounds like quite a deal...

DC33_2008
23-07-11, 09:35
Worst scenario can rent LH99 terrace house. A friend did that when their kids are studying there.

- 3 bedroom
- $1.5M max
- freehold preferred

amk
23-07-11, 22:05
X11, ur friend ballot NYPS ? He must be already within 1km already isn't ?

amk
23-07-11, 22:19
thanks. must ask him to come here and "share" how he got in.

adam park looks interesting. is shelford area a little off the radar? D11, freehold, $13XXpsf, 800m to Botanic Garden MRT, that sounds like quite a deal...

Shelford side is the cheaper side to be within 1km of NYPS.

To be realistically walkable, it has to be duchess / coronation side.

1.5m very tough. Stretch a bit FH brand new Dukes residences new 1.8m 2bd doable ?

amk
23-07-11, 23:03
Or duchess crest old 99LH, think 1.6m can get 3bd

bargain hunter
24-07-11, 15:42
yah hor. hehehe. orr...kelong, used fake address!

novel
01-08-11, 10:21

- 3 bedroom
- $1.5M max
- freehold preferred

you sounds so sourgrape! ahaha...

I got a friend want to get his boy into PeiHwa purchased Maplewoods 3 bedrooms ard 1000psf for S$1.2mio....

Wild Falcon
01-08-11, 10:27
Probably knows someone sitting on the board.

yah hor. hehehe. orr...kelong, used fake address!

x11
01-08-11, 12:52

ahem! I asked the same question too :D

x11
01-08-11, 12:54
you sounds so sourgrape! ahaha...

I got a friend want to get his boy into PeiHwa purchased Maplewoods 3 bedrooms ard 1000psf for S$1.2mio....

me sourgrape? no lah. no need to be sour. i'm happy where i am and where my kids are at :cool:

amk
01-08-11, 13:43
x11 is ur friend sirname "Tay" ? ha ha ha ;)

seriously. for a condo within 1km and realistically walkable, the choice is extremely limited. can count within one hand. duchess residences, duchess crest, duchess royale, the tresor, duchess manor, dukes residences, lutheran tower. farrer side got to use the new CCL MRT underpass u have levelZ, spanish village, the 2 gallops. that's abt it.

x11
01-08-11, 14:30
x11 is ur friend sirname "Tay" ? ha ha ha ;)

seriously. for a condo within 1km and realistically walkable, the choice is extremely limited. can count within one hand. duchess residences, duchess crest, duchess royale, the tresor, duchess manor, dukes residences, lutheran tower. farrer side got to use the new CCL MRT underpass u have levelZ, spanish village, the 2 gallops. that's abt it.

thanks for the list ... agree that $1.5M tough but my personal preference as i related to him over email was the shelford side. the units there are mostly freehold and is considered sufficiently "near" to school and the upcoming MRT stations, still $1.5M for a 3BR is a tough ask.

"The TAYs" staying in holland area - don't think within the 1km ... more likely within 2km. Wonder if they got in ...

Regulators
01-08-11, 14:54
buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do. So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better. Kids must have the right nurturing at home and right attitude towards studies, most importantly if they have lousy genes, hard for them to excel also (You should watch the show 'gattaca')

gn108
01-08-11, 15:12
Maybe someone saw the same show when the Grad Mother's scheme was launched!

Normal people even the rich/priviledged make rational decision based on the system.

Should the system change,then some properties would lose some of their premium. But I reckon, not likely.
Anyway - sometimes it's not totally about the results, it's the connections and network that these branded schools bring to the not so talented.

buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do. So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better. Kids must have the right nurturing at home and right attitude towards studies, most importantly if they have lousy genes, hard for them to excel also (You should watch the show 'gattaca')

cl0ver
01-08-11, 15:42

so are you saying that if parents are alumni of a school but stay 5km away, they should not move? instead torture the kid on over an hour bus ride 2 ways? :doh:

howgozit
01-08-11, 15:51
Anyway - sometimes it's not totally about the results, it's the connections and network that these branded schools bring to the not so talented.

In my opinion, connections and networking at primary school level is way way over-rated.

1) friendship is fickle at this level.

2) as a student progresses up, they are split according to their academic ability. This further weakens the already fickle friendships.

3) at PSLE, the big split comes. If your child is not of the right calibre and moves on to a normal school while his classmates progresses to IP schools, his self esteem will be super low.

If anything, the who's who of future Singapore are in RGS, RI, HCI, NUS High....etc Make it there on your own merit and people will want to rub shoulders with you not the other way around. To make it there, you can come from anywhere, need not be brand named primary school.

Personally I think there is too much emphasis on schools rather than actual education.

stalingrad
01-08-11, 15:54
In my opinion, connections and networking at primary school level is way way over-rated.

1) friendship is fickle at this level.

2) as a student progresses up, they are split according to their academic ability. This further weakens the already fickle friendships.

3) at PSLE, the big split comes. If your child is not of the right calibre and moves on to a normal school while his classmates progresses to IP schools, his self esteem will be super low.

If anything, the who's who of future Singapore are in RGS, RI, HCI, NUS High....etc Make it there on your own merit and people will want to rub shoulders with you not the other way around. To make it there, you can come from anywhere, need not be brand named primary school.

Personally I think there is too much emphasis on schools rather than actual education.

Precisely, that is why I am super willing to let my younger son enroll in Qifa even though we are super close to Nanhua.

If he is good, studying at Qifa will not slow him down. If he is no good, getting into Nanhua will not help at all.

Regulators
01-08-11, 16:21
I am also alumni of acs but in my opinion, acs is not even comparable to some neighbourhood schools. I would never even bother sending my kid to acs not to mention buying a place near the school coz I do not think such a school can inculcate the right values in my kid.
so are you saying that if parents are alumni of a school but stay 5km away, they should not move? instead torture the kid on over an hour bus ride 2 ways? :doh:

SpinCity
01-08-11, 16:30
I am also alumni of acs but in my opinion, acs is not even comparable to some neighbourhood schools. I would never even bother sending my kid to acs not to mention buying a place near the school coz I do not think such a school can inculcate the right values in my kid.

Which neighborhood schools are you comparing with ACS?

SpinCity
01-08-11, 16:33
Precisely, that is why I am super willing to let my younger son enroll in Qifa even though we are super close to Nanhua.

If he is good, studying at Qifa will not slow him down. If he is no good, getting into Nanhua will not help at all.

Sorry I am not familiar with the background but at the end to which school you sent your younger son and other kids?

On a separate note, how about those "normal" kids fall in between your definition of "good" and "no good"? When education, not necessary that of branded school but a reasonably good school, help for those kids?

amk
01-08-11, 16:34
buying house for primary schools is the last thing any parent should do.
funny. how does the above statement lead to the following statement, logically ? ;)

So many kids studying in branded schools with poor results , so many kids I know studying in neighbourhood schools doing much better.

DaytonaSS
01-08-11, 16:37

ACS is lousy school? thanks for the heads up, will avoid.

amk
01-08-11, 16:43
ACS is lousy school? thanks for the heads up, will avoid.

this guy did a "ranking" of the schools:

http://www.channeleducation.com.sg/2010-Primary-Schools-Ranking-in-Singapore.php

and yes it confirmed ACS is a lousy school ha ha ha ;)

ysyap
01-08-11, 16:48

http://www.channeleducation.com.sg/2010-Primary-Schools-Ranking-in-Singapore.php

and yes it confirmed ACS is a lousy school ha ha ha ;)At number 21 and 22 out of 177 schools is considered lousy? Which standard are you using? :scared-5:

howgozit
01-08-11, 16:53

and yes it confirmed ACS is a lousy school ha ha ha ;)

Not lousy school lah... tier 2 is really not bad.

But it is important to note

1) that there are many neighbourhood schools in Tier 1 (and Tier 2)

2) ACS(Pri) and Nanhua are the only GEP schools not in Tier 1. This means that despite having GEP, the overall performance in these two schools have pulled them down to Tier 2.

howgozit
01-08-11, 16:55
At number 21 and 22 out of 177 schools is considered lousy? Which standard are you using? :scared-5:

ACS(Pri) and ACS(Junior) are not 21 and 22 position. The list is alphabetical. Nevertherless Tier 2 is actually quite good.

Regulators
01-08-11, 16:55
I was referring to parents who move house to get their kids into a good school just bcoz they do not want to send their kid to a neighbourhood school. My point is neighbourhood school kids can excel in life and academically even without going to the so called elite schools
funny. how does the above statement lead to the following statement, logically ? ;)

ysyap
01-08-11, 17:05
ACS(Pri) and ACS(Junior) are not 21 and 22 position. The list is alphabetical. Nevertherless Tier 2 is actually quite good.Yes just realised it too. Yes no. 21 to 37 is still pretty decent out of 177. :D

SpinCity
01-08-11, 17:06
I was referring to parents who move house to get their kids into a good school just bcoz they do not want to send their kid to a neighbourhood school. My point is neighbourhood school kids can excel in life and academically even without going to the so called elite schools
But the fact is that some neighborhood schools are better than the others. What if the neighbourhood school near your house happens to be one of those "not so good one"? Will you still send your kids there and let your kids' talent, your gene, and your home nurturing to decide?

Regulators
01-08-11, 17:17
If your kid is good, he/she will be among the top in the neighbourhood school. Many neighbourhood school kids end up in river valley high, SST, NUS high etc. The trend I see is parents who spend more time at home drilling their kids in exam papers will end up doing better than kids who just rely 100% on the school system. If your kid has the right attitude, they will excel wherever they go.
But the fact is that some neighborhood schools are better than the others. What if the neighbourhood school near your house happens to be one of those "not so good one"? Will you still send your kids there and let your kids' talent, your gene, and your home nurturing to decide?

fclim
01-08-11, 17:23
Whether the child does well of course depends on the genes (nature) and parental guidance (nurture). My daughter is currently in one of the Tier 1 schools. I must say, the teachers are extremely dedicated. Everyday, I receive, without fail, an email from the teacher to update what has been taught in class, what needs to be done and what homework to do. I can then coach my daughter and do revisions with her. I think it is extremely useful. I do not know if the other schools do this on a consistent basis. I know my sons schools do not even though the school is also a Tier 1 school.

Regulators
01-08-11, 17:28
Receiving emails on topics done in school might be convenient to the parent but in fact, all that parents need to do is check the kid's workbooks to know what they do in school. This takes hardly a minute for the parent to do on a daily basis.
Whether the child does well of course depends on the genes (nature) and parental guidance (nurture). My daughter is currently in one of the Tier 1 schools. I must say, the teachers are extremely dedicated. Everyday, I receive, without fail, an email from the teacher to update what has been taught in class, what needs to be done and what homework to do. I can then coach my daughter and do revisions with her. I think it is extremely useful. I do not know if the other schools do this on a consistent basis. I know my sons schools do not even though the school is also a Tier 1 school.

SpinCity
01-08-11, 18:00
If your kid is good, he/she will be among the top in the neighbourhood school. Many neighbourhood school kids end up in river valley high, SST, NUS high etc. The trend I see is parents who spend more time at home drilling their kids in exam papers will end up doing better than kids who just rely 100% on the school system. If your kid has the right attitude, they will excel wherever they go.
Will any parents just send their kids to any neighbourhood school without any evaluation in advance?
I think this theory only works when the schools are reasonably fine, at least around average. For those school below average, I believe that parents shall look for alternatives.
Talented kids will stand out in any school theoretically. For those young kids, parents can do as much as they can to nurturing them at home, but you can never control what kind of peers they meet in school. For kids of primary school age, they absorb anything and everything around them without much discretion and parents' permission.
I am not saying all branded schools are good and neighborhood schools are inferior, but parents must do all the necessary check for the sake of their kids before sending them to any school

cl0ver
01-08-11, 18:39

it doesnt make sense....
lets say you are in my shoes. staying in Clover.
so, aitong and catholic high is out since almost impossible to get in.
what are your choices? Do you send your kid to ACS under phase 1?
or you just wait for phase 2c and pick whats available like Townsville and Teck Ghee?

Regulators
01-08-11, 19:18
Go to whichever school they assign you near to your home if can't get into school of your choice. The school at home is the most important not the school outside.
it doesnt make sense....
lets say you are in my shoes. staying in Clover.
so, aitong and catholic high is out since almost impossible to get in.
what are your choices? Do you send your kid to ACS under phase 1?
or you just wait for phase 2c and pick whats available like Townsville and Teck Ghee?

cl0ver
01-08-11, 19:32
wow, so you wont even register in 2C, just sit back and wait for 2C supplementary.....
or are you saying that you will pick the nearest even if it is suicide, like Catholic High and if not successfull, you let the MOE select the next nearest, which is probably Townsville or Teck Ghee?

interesting...

Regulators
01-08-11, 19:48
Why should it be suicide if everything taught in primary schools are based on a standard syllabus. If you are familiar with the primary school syllabus and how schools set exam questions, you will have a different perspective. There are neighbourhood schools with tough exams and there are top primary schools with exam papers that are only so so. Teachers also vary regardless of whether they come from branded or non branded schools.
wow, so you wont even register in 2C, just sit back and wait for 2C supplementary.....
or are you saying that you will pick the nearest even if it is suicide, like Catholic High and if not successfull, you let the MOE select the next nearest, which is probably Townsville or Teck Ghee?

interesting...

ysyap
01-08-11, 19:57
Interesting dialogue between 2 parents w different expectations and personal beliefs. Learn a tip or two. :D

cl0ver
01-08-11, 21:48
Why should it be suicide if everything taught in primary schools are based on a standard syllabus. If you are familiar with the primary school syllabus and how schools set exam questions, you will have a different perspective. There are neighbourhood schools with tough exams and there are top primary schools with exam papers that are only so so. Teachers also vary regardless of whether they come from branded or non branded schools.

i think you missed the point. I'm not comparing the reason why you would go for neighborhood schools as opposed to popular schools. i'm referring to your laid back attitude when it comes to registration for primary schools.
you give the impression that you would not even get out of bed to register your son for P1 and prefer to leave it to fate. As an alumnus, you would pass on ACS which many would find it bizzare, perhaps proximity could be a valid reason (that's your prerogative).

But i'm unclear as to whether you would even bother to register in 2C or just opt out and wait for 2C supplementary to decide your fate.
Thinking that you will of course register in 2C, your response clearly imply that criteria is proximity and if CHS is the nearest but knowingly the success rate is 20%, you will still do it (hence my reference to the term "suicide")

DaytonaSS
01-08-11, 22:05

Bro, I understand u from education business. But something I don't understand, maybe u can enlighten. Assuming syllabus is same, n teacher standard is random-depends on lvl of commitment. How do schools get tier 1 statues? Isn't it by their higher average scores?

If 2 points remains constant, then it's means tier 1 school got better family up bring? I m confused.....

Regulators
01-08-11, 23:52
you misundertstood me as well, i am not saying parents should just sit back and wait for things to happen, of course they have to do their part and register their kids for P1, but what i am against is if you are living in jurong and are eligible for primary schools in jurong, you would instead want to move to coronation just because you want to get your kid into nanyang. i know many parents who buy homes just to get their kids into this school and that school which i think is silly. As for ACS, i have no qualms about passing that school coz i know what kind of parents that school has (hasn't changed much all these years). As a kid in that school, I was exposed to the kind of elitist way of thinking and the snobbery in that school is just unbelievable. I once had a P2 classmate bringing more than $1000 to school just to give to friends he liked and teachers in the school tended to like kids from those rich families who gave generous donations by the tens of thousands each time. Some kids i knew never took the public transport before and chauffeured everywhere they went.

i think you missed the point. I'm not comparing the reason why you would go for neighborhood schools as opposed to popular schools. i'm referring to your laid back attitude when it comes to registration for primary schools.
you give the impression that you would not even get out of bed to register your son for P1 and prefer to leave it to fate. As an alumnus, you would pass on ACS which many would find it bizzare, perhaps proximity could be a valid reason (that's your prerogative).

But i'm unclear as to whether you would even bother to register in 2C or just opt out and wait for 2C supplementary to decide your fate.
Thinking that you will of course register in 2C, your response clearly imply that criteria is proximity and if CHS is the nearest but knowingly the success rate is 20%, you will still do it (hence my reference to the term "suicide")

ysyap
02-08-11, 00:05
you misundertstood me as well, i am not saying parents should just sit back and wait for things to happen, of course they have to do their part and register their kids for P1, but what i am against is if you are living in jurong and are eligible for primary schools in jurong, you would instead want to move to coronation just because you want to get your kid into nanyang. i know many parents who buy homes just to get their kids into this school and that school which i think is silly. As for ACS, i have no qualms about passing that school coz i know what kind of parents that school has (hasn't changed much all these years). As a kid in that school, I was exposed to the kind of elitist way of thinking and the snobbery in that school is just unbelievable. I once had a P2 classmate bringing more than $1000 to school just to give to friends he liked and teachers in the school tended to like kids from those rich families who gave generous donations by the tens of thousands each time. Some kids i knew never took the public transport before and chauffeured everywhere they went.Can see that ACS hasn't made you an Acsian! :D

Regulators
02-08-11, 00:09
Elite schools are flooded with rich kids whose parents have deep pockets to donate their way into the school. Donating $200k to get the kid into the school is peanuts to many businessmen. These same kids may not be bright, but with the round the clock tuition by qualified school teachers (can spend as much as $4k a month just on tuition), it is very hard for the kid not to excel. As for neighbourhood schools that mostly don't come under tier 1, it doesnt mean that the kids are not as smart or are under-achievers, just that many of these parents can't afford to hire school teachers to their house to teach their kids on a daily basis. So with that disadvantage, many educated parents I know with kids in neighbourhood school just need to spend more time at home coaching their kids so as to overcome the odds of not excelling.

Bro, I understand u from education business. But something I don't understand, maybe u can enlighten. Assuming syllabus is same, n teacher standard is random-depends on lvl of commitment. How do schools get tier 1 statues? Isn't it by their higher average scores?

If 2 points remains constant, then it's means tier 1 school got better family up bring? I m confused.....

Regulators
02-08-11, 00:12
Neither is CST who is also from ACS

Can see that ACS hasn't made you an Acsian! :D

ysyap
02-08-11, 07:20
Neither is CST who is also from ACSSo did he publicly criticize ACS the way you did? Can't remember! :o

SpinCity
02-08-11, 09:29
Elite schools are flooded with rich kids whose parents have deep pockets to donate their way into the school. Donating $200k to get the kid into the school is peanuts to many businessmen. These same kids may not be bright, but with the round the clock tuition by qualified school teachers (can spend as much as $4k a month just on tuition), it is very hard for the kid not to excel. As for neighbourhood schools that mostly don't come under tier 1, it doesnt mean that the kids are not as smart or are under-achievers, just that many of these parents can't afford to hire school teachers to their house to teach their kids on a daily basis. So with that disadvantage, many educated parents I know with kids in neighbourhood school just need to spend more time at home coaching their kids so as to overcome the odds of not excelling.

Are you sure about the part of getting into school by donation? I think it is explicitly banned by law

Lovelle
02-08-11, 10:00
what's wrong for regulator voicing his opinion ?

ysyap
02-08-11, 10:02
what's wrong for regulator voicing his opinion ?Did anyone say its wrong??? :confused: :p :D

cl0ver
02-08-11, 10:08
what's wrong for regulator voicing his opinion ?:scared-2: trying to stir something?

x11
02-08-11, 12:22
don't try for "branded" school, go for "normal" neighborhood school - if child does well, everything is fine. if child is "gifted", child will have the opportunity to transfer to a school with GEP. however, if the child doesn't do well, as a parent, one *might* regret not trying to put the child into a "branded" school in the first place.

try for "branded" school and get into "branded" school - if child does well, good. if child is "gifted", better still, remain in the same school and move to GEP class. if child doesn't do well, then "bo-bian lor", at least the parents can say that they tried.

try for "branded" school and CANNOT get in - suay lor!

novel
02-08-11, 12:31

luckily you did not try NanHua because mostly likely your boy can't get in too as soooo many ppl balloting for it within 1km. Qifa no need to ballot automatically enrollment.