Thread: When will HDB relax the rule?

Default When will HDB relax the rule?

I know it is too early, but the current HDB rule seems too strick. COV will soon go down. Funny enough the valuation according to market price will then have to go down a couple of months later. Upgraders, downgraders and people just moving places will all be affected (if they own both Private and HDB).
    Do you guys think the rule will be relaxed? If yes, when? Mar 2011 after Election?

Thanks,
    Richard

Shouldn't relax the Aug 30 measures at all, at least till the prices normalise back. These HDB flats prices have goner far too high and are now at totally crazy peak prices.

In 2006, a HDB 3 rm flat in Toa Payoh (near MRT) would cost about $185k to $195k tops.

Now it is $320k to 330k!

let the rules stay for good ~

in fact should tighten some more hehe

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

HDB should be for own stay and reserved for citizens only! The rules should be tightened further so that only citizens can buy, NO NO to PRs! (If PRs want to buy, convert to Citizens first!). Same for ECs!

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    I know it is too early, but the current HDB rule seems too strick. COV will soon go down. Funny enough the valuation according to market price will then have to go down a couple of months later. Upgraders, downgraders and people just moving places will all be affected (if they own both Private and HDB).
    Do you guys think the rule will be relaxed? If yes, when? Mar 2011 after Election?

Thanks,
    Richard

Cannot keep flip flopping lah - like that sure boom and bust cycles. The rules should remain - in short, if you want to invest, go to the private property market with less restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by richwang

Thanks,
    Richard

cannot recall that HDB got relax the rules. But I think some smart industry players will come up with new ideas to counter these rules to move the market.

When government say no defer payment, players came up with interest absorption scheme.

The games will be played again and again.

Default Early Turning Sign

I am not trying to enter a debate, just trying to time the market.
    This time round, the price adjustment is caused by HDB price drop, so it will be logical if we closely watch when HDB price will be buttom. And that is mainly affected by the rule to be relaxed.
    There is an article on the newspaper over the weekend, talking about the rules will be relaxed "sooner than expected". Could anyone post the link?
    Of course, most people are now expecting the rule will be there for ever, obviously the rules will not last that long. If the HDB price will further drop until 2012, that might be the time the rule will be relaxed. Again, I am just trying to find the early sign for the next market turn.
    Just a reminder, there is a CEO of a big private developer sitting on HDB board. So soon after the Election, they will start to influnce the rules. HDB upgraders are the first support to the 99LH. If Wing Tai is bidding low end 99LH, they know something we don't.

Thanks,
    Richard

I believe the rules on hdb / private holding will stay. They are trying to decouple or minimise the influence of the two. Which I think is only proper. Those already in the private league should stay with private, unless downgrading for some reason. This rule will stay to run it's course and will take some time. Rules may bent a while though, if there is a crisis. After crisis will revert back. So the rules is meant to stay.

The current rules will stay for at least 3 years minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Shouldn't relax the Aug 30 measures at all, at least till the prices normalise back. These HDB flats prices have goner far too high and are now at totally crazy peak prices.

In 2006, a HDB 3 rm flat in Toa Payoh (near MRT) would cost about $185k to $195k tops.

Now it is $320k to 330k!
    welcome to the new norm. we have grouses that prices are too high, but are the newly released government state land cheap?

just a month ago, HDB is selling a brand new 5rm flat in SengKang for $400+k. in my opinion, it doesn't help the situation. if you ask me, it seems like the government wants the cake its hands and eat it at the same time.

The new rules affect both demand and supply of resale HDB flats, and like the effect in Sep, transactions will fall, COV will trend downwards. Important puzzles to this and how long it stays is the no of PRs let in and number of new flats....

It is a delicate balancing act, lets hope the G gets it right.....

Actually with these demand side measure in place, no need to release so much land liao. In the first place, had these demand-side measures been implemented earlier, the market would have cooled without even having to release so much land for construction. Our government is always behind the curve - it was obvious most of the demand was speculative demand with the smallest units selling out first and supplying more land has ZERO effect and just feed the speculation. Demand side measures are more effective when most buyers are speculators and not true owner-occupiers.

Singapore really look more like a construction site nowadays. It's about time the release of the land stop and let the rapid development rest for a while. Or else we will become a construction site for the next 50 years and our present generation will have no peace in our lifetime.

i agree, but as long as developers bid the govt, will just roll out the land (no reason not to).

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Actually with these demand side measure in place, no need to release so much land liao. In the first place, had these demand-side measures been implemented earlier, the market would have cooled without even having to release so much land for construction. Our government is always behind the curve - it was obvious most of the demand was speculative demand with the smallest units selling out first and supplying more land has ZERO effect and just feed the speculation. Demand side measures are more effective when most buyers are speculators and not true owner-occupiers.

Singapore really look more like a construction site nowadays. It's about time the release of the land stop and let the rapid development rest for a while. Or else we will become a construction site for the next 50 years and our present generation will have no peace in our lifetime.

The developer will have to bid at own risk. Bid price government cannot control. Government can only control the number of land releases + min price and policy.

Some developer recently reacted by shifting focus to cheaper land at around 3xxpsf ppr. We will see more condos at sub-urban soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 2824
    i agree, but as long as developers bid the govt, will just roll out the land (no reason not to).

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    The developer will have to bid at own risk. Bid price government cannot control. Government can only control the number of land releases + min price and policy.

Some developer recently reacted by shifting focus to cheaper land at around 3xxpsf ppr. We will see more condos at sub-urban soon.
    i live near to the plot of land sold in pasir ris. that place is not near to mrt, or to any other form of amenities. for people who loves hiking in bushes, there is a forested area nearby

the estimated selling psf is around 800psf. that's even more than new condos in marine parade were sold at back in 2006/2007.

If you look at the local land bank of our developers (minus CDL & FEO), the rest only got quite a limited supply. so i guess some of them are really are afraid of losing out on that precious land....

I think the 3xx psf that we currently see is due mainly to the location on offer, rather than developers being more guarded.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    HDB should be for own stay and reserved for citizens only! The rules should be tightened further so that only citizens can buy, NO NO to PRs! (If PRs want to buy, convert to Citizens first!). Same for ECs!
    yes well said..

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    The current rules will stay for at least 3 years minimum.
    the next election is 3 years from now meh??

are you saying the PR restriction rule? maybe that will be 3 years with more rules to regulate those who come in can really contribute. definietly not those who come here and work for OKT..