Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sentosa Cove Living

so assume that a 3-4 bedder, at avg $2500psf, for self stay: which area/development would you go for?

I would live near botanic garden, especially the section of bukit timah close to NUS law school. that place beats sentosa hands down. just walking in botanic garden gives me a sense of euphoria. chinese tourists don't go there, because they like something more glamorous.

Ya, The Botanic also quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    I would live near botanic garden, especially the section of bukit timah close to NUS law school. that place beats sentosa hands down. just walking in botanic garden gives me a sense of euphoria. chinese tourists don't go there, because they like something more glamorous.
    I remembered that Botanic Garden used to house the gardeners in the olden days.
    Living there and working there is two world a part…

Given a choice, I would prefer to stay in some old kampong house. My kids don’t even know what is kampong house…

what to salivate at? wherever you go on the island, there is a throng of tourists. they talk loud and they bring with them whatever habits they developed in their own countries.

seaview? no, more like rusty tanker view. can you even swim in that water? must be infested with all kinds of heavy metals and bacteria.

so the bottom line, what to salivate at? or what to pay $3000psf for?
    tourists dun access sentosa cove unless they r having property tours for foreigners?

u want swim go swim in condo pool or one15 marina lor, dun tell me u will also go swim at east coast or changi beach?

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    so assume that a 3-4 bedder, at avg $2500psf, for self stay: which area/development would you go for?
    reflections at keppel

But Botanic Gardens also a lot of Filipino maids and foreign workers picnicking every weekend wor! Every place has its pros and cons. If you want "wow" factor. I think must go secluded landed bungalow oredi - becos no matter what, a pigeon hole in the sky with standard "designer" furniture that we see in showflats will not "wow" anyone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Ya, The Botanic also quite nice.

Chng until very beng with lots of blinding LED blink blink sometimes also works Anyway 99% of security at condos are like that. If you drive one of those non-descript SUVs, MPVs or hatchbacks/sedans, 100% confirm will stop you and ask lots of silly questions. And if you drive a performance sports car, they will chat with you and tell u your car "very nice" and just let you in with a big smile. I guess their job involves looking at cars all the time, so when a beauty comes along, it brightens up their day. There was this time my friend in a popular continental sedan visited another friend in a Newton condo. She was told off in a rude manner by the guard to park specifically in a parking lot very far away from the actual unit. But when I came just behind her in a fairly entry-level sports car coupe (not even the high-end type), the same guard told me "u can park anywhere even at the resident lot right beside the lobby." Well, double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    wah lau....my lousy car better dun enter den...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    But Botanic Gardens also a lot of Filipino maids and foreign workers picnicking every weekend wor! Every place has its pros and cons. If you want "wow" factor. I think must go secluded landed bungalow oredi - becos no matter what, a pigeon hole in the sky with standard "designer" furniture that we see in showflats will not "wow" anyone anymore.
    I seldom see those at the norther part of botanic garden. generally, these menial workers won't find the tranquil environment of the garden enjoyable.

mine is a 2 tonner sedan - i would say sporty-ish at 5secs

Anyways thanks all for e advice and keep em comin' !

what to salivate at? wherever you go on the island, there is a throng of tourists. they talk loud and they bring with them whatever habits they developed in their own countries.

seaview? no, more like rusty tanker view. can you even swim in that water? must be infested with all kinds of heavy metals and bacteria.

so the bottom line, what to salivate at? or what to pay $3000psf for?

5 years ago ... why i was 'viewing' some of the bungalows there .. i noticed the ugly keppel shipyard view ...

i knew then .. Keppel area will be redeveloped ... just dont know how long it would take ...

you cant sell high end , high class island living when you only have nice view Forward and cannot look behind the house right ?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    5 years ago ... why i was 'viewing' some of the bungalows there .. i noticed the ugly keppel shipyard view ...

i knew then .. Keppel area will be redeveloped ... just dont know how long it would take ...

you cant sell high end , high class island living when you only have nice view Forward and cannot look behind the house right ?
    Precisely, from my home in Vancouver, we take in the entire sea, with seagulls darting about and orcas frolicking in the high sea. You may see a few white yachts passing by, but no large ships, especially not the ugly rusty oil tankers you see everywhere off the southern coast of Singapore.

If the government want to promote Sentosa living, the first thing they need to do is to get rid of all the ugly things on the high sea. but I doubt they can do it.

even the view off east coast park is nothing to brag about. again, a flotilla of rusty ship either stationary or slowly passing by. what a view!!!

Here is a view expressed by a sentosa cove resident (on propertyguru).

Dysfunctional Cove & Condo Management
    Posted on Sep 6, 2010 by Martha Stewart
    We moved in recently, thinking that paying a premium rental rate to avoid the developing madness in our former residence. Plenty of surprises. Most of it unpleasant.

The Oceanfront condo management team exhibits the deadly combination traits of laziness, smugness, and chronic unavailability.

As if that is not bad enough, the Sentosa Cove management treat the existing premium residents with the dismissive attitude of third world refugee:

As everyone knows Sentosa cove has no sufficient local amenities and the nearest is Vivocity. Just don't believe it when the agent/ landlord tells you a bus arrives every "10 to 15 minutes" and "take you straight to Vivo". No such thing. The cramp and tiny Bus arrives every 30 minutes, PACKED WITH MAIDS and SWEATY WORKERS. And miraculously the bus now IGNORES OCEANFRONT CONDO and expects The Oceanfront condo residents to walk - rain or scorching tropical noon sunshine - to and from the next condo The Coast waiting point. The the local bus will drop the refugees at the arrival plaza where the united nation crowd wait for another connecting bus - packed with even more smelly South Cove construction workers - to finally head for Vivo.

The island has no playground for children or basic sports facilities for teens. Nevermind family-friendly badminton courts, not even half a basketball court, nor tennis table!

To show off their prowess and disdain for their paymasters, the Sentosa Cove management jolted some Oceanfront unit housewives and children and retirees with deafening berth front piling louder than any earthquake events a few days a week. No written warning to Oceanfront management, no warning notice on the half-dead "Sentosa Resident" web page.

And we honestly thought we have finally moved away from city management madness to a saner, quieter neighborhood with a high price tag.

Welcome to the chaotic third world enclave of Sentosa Cove, with first world advertising and maintenance

so far, only bayview (20-30 storey at TS) and rainforest view(high flr at raintree) WOW me

concourse view also not too bad (at the showflat sales office)

Here is a view expressed by a sentosa cove resident (on propertyguru).

Dysfunctional Cove & Condo Management
    Posted on Sep 6, 2010 by Martha Stewart
    We moved in recently, thinking that paying a premium rental rate to avoid the developing madness in our former residence. Plenty of surprises. Most of it unpleasant.

The Oceanfront condo management team exhibits the deadly combination traits of laziness, smugness, and chronic unavailability.

As if that is not bad enough, the Sentosa Cove management treat the existing premium residents with the dismissive attitude of third world refugee:

As everyone knows Sentosa cove has no sufficient local amenities and the nearest is Vivocity. Just don't believe it when the agent/ landlord tells you a bus arrives every "10 to 15 minutes" and "take you straight to Vivo". No such thing. The cramp and tiny Bus arrives every 30 minutes, PACKED WITH MAIDS and SWEATY WORKERS. And miraculously the bus now IGNORES OCEANFRONT CONDO and expects The Oceanfront condo residents to walk - rain or scorching tropical noon sunshine - to and from the next condo The Coast waiting point. The the local bus will drop the refugees at the arrival plaza where the united nation crowd wait for another connecting bus - packed with even more smelly South Cove construction workers - to finally head for Vivo.

The island has no playground for children or basic sports facilities for teens. Nevermind family-friendly badminton courts, not even half a basketball court, nor tennis table!

To show off their prowess and disdain for their paymasters, the Sentosa Cove management jolted some Oceanfront unit housewives and children and retirees with deafening berth front piling louder than any earthquake events a few days a week. No written warning to Oceanfront management, no warning notice on the half-dead "Sentosa Resident" web page.

And we honestly thought we have finally moved away from city management madness to a saner, quieter neighborhood with a high price tag.

Welcome to the chaotic third world enclave of Sentosa Cove, with first world advertising and maintenance
    wan to play badminton? buy minton lor
    table tennis? err... hmm... lol

i think she better stay next to MRT mass mkt condo or HDB better, they have the best amenities!

Just dun stay in that condo loh...

Quote Originally Posted by august

i think she better stay next to MRT mass mkt condo or HDB better, they have the best amenities!
    stay HDB next to CC lah....got table tennis, badminton etc etc....hrly booking so cheap only....got plenty of buses....food etc

crappy comment from tat guy actually....those who stay in sentosa surely call taxis or drive...whr got take bus one

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    stay HDB next to CC lah....got table tennis, badminton etc etc....hrly booking so cheap only....got plenty of buses....food etc

crappy comment from tat guy actually....those who stay in sentosa surely call taxis or drive...whr got take bus one
    think sure got take lah, but the few times i saw are pinoy maids taking the buses

Precisely, from my home in Vancouver, we take in the entire sea, with seagulls darting about and orcas frolicking in the high sea. You may see a few white yachts passing by, but no large ships, especially not the ugly rusty oil tankers you see everywhere off the southern coast of Singapore.

If the government want to promote Sentosa living, the first thing they need to do is to get rid of all the ugly things on the high sea. but I doubt they can do it.

even the view off east coast park is nothing to brag about. again, a flotilla of rusty ship either stationary or slowly passing by. what a view!!!
    not to sound like i'm defending sentosa cove cos i am not vested, the fact is this, sentosa cove is already a success and it will only get better ~

the other fact is even within the same project no two properties are the same, so to compare diff locales at other side of the world is a bit pointless lah. want to compare also must be within Sg or nearer around the region mah...

think sure got take lah, but the few times i saw are pinoy maids taking the buses
    Pinoy is the term used to describe Filipino males...

Girls are called filipinas...

these sentosa cove condos are terrible buys. Ask prices are hovering about $2200psf, but average rent per month is only 4.20psf, translating into a rental yield of 2.2%. what a horrendous deal!!!

let's say a normal rental yield is 4% (for 99 leasehold), then price should drop to $1200 to $1300psf from the current range of 2000-2200psf.

what say that sentosa cove is a success?
    Last edited by stalingrad; 20-10-10 at 17:53.

One thing is for sure - cannot assume expensive condos means good neighbours and characters. Sometimes the more "successful" a person is, the more snobbish, unreasonable, demanding and selfish he becomes. Sentosa in all its glitters is also not lack of drama, unnatural deaths in the swimming pools or beach is quite common right - just not too long ago a China prostitute died in one of those swanky bungalow? In fact, sometimes u don't know where all these "wealthy" foreigners come from or their background.

i guess the writer(tenant) was not impressed by what the condo / agent / landlord promised ..

he probably paid pretty high rent, expecting good environment, services, transport etc ..

i guess it will take some time for all these to be tied in ..
    theres still construction going on ... and i can only say .. his timing was wrong ..

maybe if he comes back in another yr or 2 ... it will be better ..

as for rent .. it really sucks .. only one or 2 managed to get a decent return ...

then again ... buyers there are 'parking' money ... dont think the going for yield ..

as such ... services cannot be good from the management, both of the condo and of sentosa .. for time being

these sentosa cove condos are terrible buys. Ask prices are hovering about $2200psf, but average rent per month is only 4.20psf, translating into a rental yield of 2.2%. what a horrendous deal!!!

let's say a normal rental yield is 4% (for 99 leasehold), then price should drop to $1200 to $1300psf from the current range of 2000-2200psf.

I know one case where the rental was 3.2psf!
    Sentosa mkt has its own ecology, separate from the rest of Singapore. Better keep out if one is not of that ecosystem....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Ok I got it. Don't buy the most expensive condos (those >$4000 psf &/or total >$10m). But also don't buy those cheap-skate condos (<$1500 psf) unless the person is ok with "flags" hanging all over the place in the balconies, people wearing shorts and shirts / sarongs dipping into the swimming pools, urinating in there, digging nose in there, adults swearing other people's father and mother in the common area etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    One thing is for sure - cannot assume expensive condos means good neighbours and characters. Sometimes the more "successful" a person is, the more snobbish, unreasonable, demanding and selfish he becomes. Sentosa in all its glitters is also not lack of drama, unnatural deaths in the swimming pools or beach is quite common right - just not too long ago a China prostitute died in one of those swanky bungalow? In fact, sometimes u don't know where all these "wealthy" foreigners come from or their background.

Many of the luxury & prime properties in Singapore are not about rental - Owners only care about potential long-term capital appreciation (better than puting money in the banks) or consumption. Higher rental yield is desirable (especially much higher than interest rate), but not a major consideration.
    As you don't buy luxury and prime properties, so your concern and consideration are markly different. So the truth is, if a person buy OCR properties to invest, he/she better make sure rental yield is >5% otherwise don't buy (buy for own stay don't need to care about rental yield - but then OCR properties majorities buy for own stay, who care about the yield anyway?).

Quote Originally Posted by valkri
    I know one case where the rental was 3.2psf!
    Sentosa mkt has its own ecology, separate from the rest of Singapore. Better keep out if one is not of that ecosystem....
    wow, terrible. if people are willing to pay only $3.2 psf to rent a condo at Sentosa cove, it means sentosa cove is a terrible place to live in. so, where is the potential for capital gain, Teddybear?

your argument is faulty, I am afraid, Teddy. Rental yield indicates whether a certain condo is desirable or not. without a reasonable rental yield, a condo would be a bad buy, whether you stay in it or buy it to rent out.

Capital gain is in considering the long term, not short term (this unfortunately doesn't apply to Sentosa as all properties there are 99LH - I am in general referring to prime FH/999 properties). Just like when a company is paying a dividend of $0.05 but the share is trading at $5 now (1% div yield), does it mean the stock is not worth investing in? (same analogy to what you said, can only rent at $3.20 psf pm now relative to price of say $2000 psf now). Another thing, most Sentosa properties' buyers just buy to consume/burn, not for long-term. Obviously, there are those who bought intending to invest but end up renting out at $3.20 psf.

So if people are willing to pay only $2.50 psf to rent, that place is even worse place to live in? (most OCR properties can only rent at <=$2.50 psf).

wow, terrible. if people are willing to pay only $3.2 psf to rent a condo at Sentosa cove, it means sentosa cove is a terrible place to live in. so, where is the potential for capital gain, Teddybear?

your argument is faulty, I am afraid, Teddy. Rental yield indicates whether a certain condo is desirable or not. without a reasonable rental yield, a condo would be a bad buy, whether you stay in it or buy it to rent out.

Views from the sea.

Had dinner today, and walked around some of the condos in Sentosa Cove.

Observations on the occupancy rates:
    1. Coast: > 80%
    2. Azure: > 80%
    3. Oceanfront: 35%
    4. Marina Collection: 20%
    5. W Residences: 5%
    I still like Coast the most