Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Sell HDB or Keep?

there are 4 categories of schools available to singaporeans:

- Academic excellence
    - Societal excellence
    - Ordinaries & government
    - Schools for rejects & ITE

Each has it's own merits, and no single school has ever been a master of both.

Places are NYPS, Chinese High, RI etc are great places academically.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Saying being Musician dont need academic excellence is just asking to be flamed. Musicians dont have to be band keyboardist - they may be world renowned pianist. Not to say one is better than the other but the latter requires years of hard work and schooling.
    Ahh that didn't occur to me... So I take back my rods on a musician not needing academic excellence. Apologies if I offended anyone here.. I played the electric guitar and was pretty good at it being self taught so I wasn't thinking right..

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor
    Ahh that didn't occur to me... So I take back my rods on a musician not needing academic excellence. Apologies if I offended anyone here.. I played the electric guitar and was pretty good at it being self taught so I wasn't thinking right..
    No probs bro, everyone entitled to opinions but must accept fair debate if contested haha. Open discussion! Btw i have grade 8 piano prolly thats why i kaopeh about this. Good to meet another fellow musician.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    sans neighbours, sometimes it is more respectable to stay in a well appointed HDB in a nice locality.
    Bro foo, u got a point. If not the toopid ruling change just like that without warning i would definitely buy hdb and not another private. Freak, i grew up in hdb for almost 30 years man.

there are 4 categories of schools available to singaporeans:

- Academic excellence
    - Societal excellence
    - Ordinaries & government
    - Schools for rejects & ITE

Each has it's own merits, and no single school has ever been a master of both.

Places are NYPS, Chinese High, RI etc are great places academically.
    I find it unnerving that after twenty over years from all the elite vs neighbourhood sch (or worse - elite sch A vs elite sch B) debate many are forced to face this crap again. It's like streaming all over again.

hence my question: isn't it better to stay in a HDB, extremely well appointed and comfortable, with a huge buffer to ensure complete continuity of a better than average lifestyle for the family; or to aspire to a condo with just acceptable appointments and the loss of buffer - so that one can boast a non public housing address during chinese new year?
    Very true... this is actually exactly why I didn't look at buying a private property for over a decade since I started working (and hence the ignorance now)... If it's not for my baby girl I probably wouldn't consider buying a place at D10.. so I say again.. I truly envy people who have good schools affiliation

Default Good School

I truly envy people who have good schools affiliation
    Ten years ago when I was hiring someone, he put his elite secondary school in his CV. I gave it a laugh. I only look at which university and most importantly which subject u are studying.

Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richwang
    Ten years ago when I was hiring someone, he put his elite secondary school in his CV. I gave it a laugh. I only look at which university and most importantly which subject u are studying.

Thanks,
    Richard
    That's not what I meant..

When I hire I also skip the primary/secondary schools actually... What I meant is parents who came from these schools, because they are old boys and girls, their children will be grant automatic entry so if they want their kids to be in these schools, they don't really need to go that extra mile for that...

For people like me, we will have to start the ball rolling so that our kid's future generation will yield the benefits.. If my children want to sent their children to a good school, can you imagine D10's property pricing in 30 years time if propertism is in effect, NYPS is still there and the whole affiliate thing is still valid? So the way I see it, my struggles now will go a long way...Of cos I may be gravely mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    No probs bro, everyone entitled to opinions but must accept fair debate if contested haha. Open discussion! Btw i have grade 8 piano prolly thats why i kaopeh about this. Good to meet another fellow musician.
    Cool.. I always wanted to learn the piano/keyboard (actually pop keyboard more) but couldn't get far.. ahah.. I even attended some courses... I'll blame it on my lack of self discipine

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    success is not just the schools u attended and watever shyty cert u got....given me a choice again, i will nvr gona spend 3 silly yrs for a useless toilet paper degree again
    I only spent 1.5yrs to get toilet paper ha. Anyway I also from so call elite school in the east with chinese history, got like 7 points but still chose Poly as I thought that was more practical than As cert. After working couple of years then take on part time toilet paper. Boy that was a tough period studying and working.

I am not a loser by your definition because I happen to be one of the professions that you so admire.

And really, I'm saying that there are different good schools. In this case, the protagonist is just wondering if he can afford to buy a place near NYPS to give his children a bright future. I'm just trying to be helpful and suggesting other good schools at slightly less expensive localities. And it doesn't mean that not getting into NYPS means his children's future will be bleak. Parents shouldn't thinking this way. They are just 7 years old and will live until 80 years old. Even if they can't get into a good school at 7, they can still have a bright future in the next 74 years. NYPS produce the most number of doctors and lawyers - maybe - I don't have the stats. But looking at the type of parents who manage to get their kids in there - even if they suck at O levels, the parents (rich or poor) will send them overseas so that at the end of the day, they still become doctors and lawyer right? It doesn't mean NYPS provide the BEST education, the profile of the parents (i.e. TOP KIASU) ensure that their children will go to the best enrichment, and even if the kids do badly, you can be sure the parents will sacrifice their own enjoyments to fulfill their children's wants.

I'm just providing an alternative view. I notice you are VERY MAINSTREAM in your thinking, probably from a very structured education since young. It's ok to be mainstream in your thinking. But there's no need to call people losers just because they choose to take risk on a less trodden path.

BTW, the tai-tai school is SCGS. You are clearly not in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    haha, you sound like a true loser in life

let me reiterate, in case you didn't get it the first time round:

i will settle for nothing but the best for my kids (if i have kids one day)

why do you teach your kids to accept second best? what a loser!

yes the tai tai school is most definitely SCGS.

MGS: more housewives, not many tai tai.

why? not appealing enough to rich men

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I am not a loser by your definition because I happen to be one of the professions that you so admire.

And really, I'm saying that there are different good schools. In this case, the protagonist is just wondering if he can afford to buy a place near NYPS to give his children a bright future. I'm just trying to be helpful and suggesting other good schools at slightly less expensive localities. And it doesn't mean that not getting into NYPS means his children's future will be bleak. Parents shouldn't thinking this way. They are just 7 years old and will live until 80 years old. Even if they can't get into a good school at 7, they can still have a bright future in the next 74 years. NYPS produce the most number of doctors and lawyers - maybe - I don't have the stats. But looking at the type of parents who manage to get their kids in there - even if they suck at O levels, the parents (rich or poor) will send them overseas so that at the end of the day, they still become doctors and lawyer right? It doesn't mean NYPS provide the BEST education, the profile of the parents (i.e. TOP KIASU) ensure that their children will go to the best enrichment, and even if the kids do badly, you can be sure the parents will sacrifice their own enjoyments to fulfill their children's wants.

I'm just providing an alternative view. I notice you are VERY MAINSTREAM in your thinking, probably from a very structured education since young. It's ok to be mainstream in your thinking. But there's no need to call people losers just because they choose to take risk on a less trodden path.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

MGS more housewives? They have no future and cannot upgrade to be tai-tais?
    They are just too 'stone' and too tom-boy to become tai-tais? Tai-Tais nowsadays not easy you know - must be involved in a lot of activities + charities events when outside and manage everything nicely at home so that their husbands can focus on their careers. They help others too (not just their own kids vs housewives)

If that is the long-term plan for future generation, you better buy a freehold property there. I know of someone who got the first kid into the elite school that is easily more than 15km from the home. First one can fetch them but no the return trip. Has to pay $100/mth on school bus. The second one got in and have to pay more than $180/mth. Third one is going in this year. Bus fare alone will cost more than $500/mth. You can at least passed on to the next generation if it is a freehold property.
    That's not what I meant..

When I hire I also skip the primary/secondary schools actually... What I meant is parents who came from these schools, because they are old boys and girls, their children will be grant automatic entry so if they want their kids to be in these schools, they don't really need to go that extra mile for that...

For people like me, we will have to start the ball rolling so that our kid's future generation will yield the benefits.. If my children want to sent their children to a good school, can you imagine D10's property pricing in 30 years time if propertism is in effect, NYPS is still there and the whole affiliate thing is still valid? So the way I see it, my struggles now will go a long way...Of cos I may be gravely mistaken

I personally came from a Neighbourhood school but almost all my friends came from the better schools such as above, so there is a distinctive difference as far as I can tell.

I operate on the perception that it is the parent's responsibility to open doors for their children, and it's up to the child to decide what they want to do with it. So even if I broke my back, got my daughter into NYPS,
    Please don't blame others, like your school for example. Take personal responsibility for what you are now. Only then can you grow.
    What are the distinctive differences?

Nestor, if you are that concerned about your kids and ready to break your backs,
    1) take 2 jobs.
    2) time for you to take additional risks, don't play safe.
    There is no difference in lifestyles between a person having networth of $500k, $1m and $2m, both parents have to work and eventually the children have to work too.
    only when you become HNW and HNWI, then there is a change in lifestyle.
    Your kids could live off on rental income or interest income even if at lowly HNW.

Sell off your HDB, use the money to speculate.
    If you lose all the money, there will be no change in lifestyle.
    You and the family continue to stay in HDB flat, except now, family squeezed into 2 rented rooms

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Please don't blame others, like your school for example. Take personal responsibility for what you are now. Only then can you grow.
    What are the distinctive differences?
    Just wanted to say here that I have nothing against neighborhood schools...

There are some differences, some of which are positive and some negative... I think the most obvious one is that of school culture and a strong alumni

nestor....

shelford regency - no offence to any owners - but if i recall correctly, the units seem pretty dark (or at least the particular unit i viewed back in 2008). imho, not a very nice devt to live in. if it really costs 1200psf, i think 19 shelford will be a much better option.

disclaimer: not vested in shelford area

Just wanted to say here that I have nothing against neighborhood schools...

There are some differences, some of which are positive and some negative... I think the most obvious one is that of school culture and a strong alumni

alot still depend on family upbringing lah ..

whenever we see a crime, and he/shes from neighbourhood school , we immediately judge the school

we have also seen many cases of students from so called good school behaving like gangsters ...

i am a strong believer of family upbringing ..

yes ..good school will have better equipments, better teaching standards..

i believe when it comes time to send your kids to school .. you would alerady know if your child is 'there' or not ..

if he is not in that league .. no pt going to good schools .. they will suffer, and when they do...they will do worst than if they had been in a normal standard school ..

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    keep canadian gold coins enuff....in case currency become toilet paper still can use gold coin to barter trade

still waiting for gold spot price to retrace leh....now i scare scare to buy more gold coins wor
    Jim Sinclair + Martin Armstrong + Alf Fields... can la...

i agree, RI is a crap school.
    gfoo you ACS PIG you... (albeit a rich n loaded one)

Every where you post.... you like to pick a fight with everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    yes the tai tai school is most definitely SCGS.

MGS: more housewives, not many tai tai.

why? not appealing enough to rich men
    The MGS uniform is so ah ummm

Quote Originally Posted by duckweed
    nestor....

shelford regency - no offence to any owners - but if i recall correctly, the units seem pretty dark (or at least the particular unit i viewed back in 2008). imho, not a very nice devt to live in. if it really costs 1200psf, i think 19 shelford will be a much better option.

disclaimer: not vested in shelford area
    That's what I thought too.. I went there 3 times and didn't really like it... 19 Shelford falls well within my budget so I think I'll pay more attention to it... at least someone recommended that based on what I can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    he claims that he is either doctor or lawyer mah..

either one also gong sibeh jway jiao way one...

I usually post opinions and I don't pick up a fight. But because my opinions could be different and un-mainstream, it disturbs certain individuals in this forum - many of which are the same individuals in different nicks. If you trace the posts, you would notice that I'm usually not the one who start calling names or use vulgaries. It's those who cannot accept slightly less mainstream views that gets offended. I can take different standpoints - that is what a forum is for - to share opinions. A forum needs diversity and independent thinking - nobody comes into a forum to read things that I can find in the Straits Times. What I despise is unnecessary name-calling and mud-slinging just because someone thinks differently, and when that is thrown at me, I will not hesitate to make a stand.

Last edited by Wild Falcon; 02-11-10 at 21:42.

I usually post opinions and I don't pick up a fight. But because my opinions could be different and un-mainstream, it disturbs certain individuals in this forum - many of which are the same individuals in different nicks. If you trace the posts, you would notice that I'm usually not the one who start calling names or use vulgaries. It's those who cannot accept slightly less mainstream views that gets offended. I can take different standpoints - that is what a forum is for - to share opinions. A forum needs diversity and independent thinking - nobody comes into a forum to read things that I can find in the Straits Times. What I despise is unnecessary name-calling and mud-slinging just because someone thinks differently, and when that is thrown at me, I will not hesitate to make a stand.
    Peace Be to All

Quote Originally Posted by gwlip
    I see many old boy ACS alumni labels on car windscreens at SSC. Got a good mind to scratch ALL of them!

Ora Et Labora!

Quote Originally Posted by gwlip
    oh yeah forgot you are rafflesian. ok i make exception, for you.....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

You St Josephians?

I see many old boy ACS alumni labels on car windscreens at SSC. Got a good mind to scratch ALL of them!

Ora Et Labora!

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    You St Josephians?
    he is SJI chow ah kwa