Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will you do with $200k cash?

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor
    I almost put $50k in land banking with the W company too.. but chicken out in the end... not too sure if it's really legit..
    Huh this W company...
    Seeing so many young and hot girls working for them, I felt extremely uncomfortable parting my money to them

Btw Nestor and gfoo u two should make out. Exatly same situation. Btw2, what's wrong with RGPS ?

This is very interesting thread.

How about if you have 1.5M SGD cash.

What is your recommendation?

You sound so much like teddybear - exactly same style of writing and same English. Are you the same person? Can't even complete a post without using some part of a human anatomy.

I'm ok with talking straight but there is no need to use any vulgarities. I'm just saying that the "advice" you've given about not buying suburbia at all for whatever reason cannot be good advice. At different points in time, different areas may present interesting gems - just need more hard work in sieving out the gems. And suburbia is not even risky, because it is less dependent on the "international demand" and achieves the greatest yield in today's market. The only risk is government intervention - had the govt allow free market, suburbia will do even better.

There is no need to start spewing vulgarities even if you don't agree. And I never say buy property now. I just say, different areas present different opportunities. Don't be so stuck in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anus
    don't talk cock lah.

you mean in the current environment, you'd want to touch suburban at these prices?

also, more singaporeans do buy suburban condos than prime so i don't know what point you are trying to make about following the herd?

i agree going against the herd, which means to shun suburban in this current climate. At $800 to $1200psf for suburbs, how much more do you expect suburban condos to appreciate?

you have said so yourself how much suburban condos have increased in price and not prime condos, so which one continues to be more undervalued? also, prime properties are a whole different animal, with a more international investor base and market than the suburban, so i'm afraid one cannot compare the two just based on % price appreciation in the past 2 years. what is important is the performance from now to the future. we cannot look at the past performance any more as any indicator of price performance.

i would recommend NOT investing in any property right now, whether suburban or prime.

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs
    This is very interesting thread.

How about if you have 1.5M SGD cash.

What is your recommendation?
    jus retire and spend away the money lah

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Huh this W company...
    Seeing so many young and hot girls working for them, I felt extremely uncomfortable parting my money to them

Btw Nestor and gfoo u two should make out. Exatly same situation. Btw2, what's wrong with RGPS ?
    Nothing wrong with RGPS.. In fact it is an excellent primary school.. The only downside is that it's a girls school.. In other words any boys later will mean the parent have to start all over again. Siblings are also automatically granted entry in top schools so it will be better for me to choose a mix one since I don't really have a lot of financial firepower.

Also, future generations have a 50% chance of not being able to exercise their affiliation since their children can be boys.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    jus retire and spend away the money lah
    1.5M SGD definetely not enough to retire. I did a calculation, based on my lifestyle, i would need at least minimum SGD 5M with paid main residence but ideally 10M.

Lets discuss about growing wealth

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs
    1.5M SGD definetely not enough to retire. I did a calculation, based on my lifestyle, i would need at least minimum SGD 5M with paid main residence but ideally 10M.

Lets discuss about growing wealth
    when u achieve 5M, ur lifestyle upgrades and will nid at least 10M by den

who say cannot invest in property. search hard enough you can buy a shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    who say cannot invest in property. search hard enough you can buy a shop...
    ooo...smbody MIA for a while to hunt for shop lot

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Got some problem I heard. Heard that the school's focus is grooming top scholars (yes, "top scholars" - that means, if you child is not going to be a "top scholars", don't go there because they will not have the attention and help they deserves to close the gap with the "top scholars"). The same for NYPS. However, RGPS seems to be dominated by the Ah Nehs "top scholars" now. They are the minorities here and yet always emerge as top scholars in RGPS. Do they get better treatment or more attention/grooming in RGPS? Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor
    Nothing wrong with RGPS.. In fact it is an excellent primary school.. The only downside is that it's a girls school.. In other words any boys later will mean the parent have to start all over again. Siblings are also automatically granted entry in top schools so it will be better for me to choose a mix one since I don't really have a lot of financial firepower.

Also, future generations have a 50% chance of not being able to exercise their affiliation since their children can be boys.

Btw Nestor and gfoo u two should make out.

That Lord Anuls just got scolded by me recently. You mean I scold myself?
    However, I must admit that he got a point here on "don't buy surburbia (private properties) because price already too high" - Your arguments are full of holes and you got smacked by him!

You argument doesn't hold water as follows:
    - And suburbia is not even risky, because it is less dependent on the "international demand" and achieves the greatest yield in today's market.
    Price so high still not risky? Precisely because it depends on local income for price rise so that is why there is no way the price can fly higher since most buyers of OCR properties are already stretching to the limit buying at >=$1000 psf!. Just wait for interest to increase to >4% and there will be fire sales everywhere! (just a matter of time for interest rate to increase!). Greatest yield? Ha ha ha! Greatest yield based yester-year's prices? No wonder!

The only risk is government intervention - had the govt allow free market, suburbia will do even better.
    There is no way the govt will let OCR prices rise too much because it means most of the buyers will be over-stretching themselves and may cause banks to collapse! As such, for sure the government will intervene in OCR property market (as is HDB market). That is another reason OCR private properties will never fly! You can continue to dream that OCR private property prices will close the gap with prime private properties to reach >$5000 psf!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    You sound so much like teddybear - exactly same style of writing and same English. Are you the same person? Can't even complete a post without using some part of a human anatomy.

I'm ok with talking straight but there is no need to use any vulgarities. I'm just saying that the "advice" you've given about not buying suburbia at all for whatever reason cannot be good advice. At different points in time, different areas may present interesting gems - just need more hard work in sieving out the gems. And suburbia is not even risky, because it is less dependent on the "international demand" and achieves the greatest yield in today's market. The only risk is government intervention - had the govt allow free market, suburbia will do even better.

There is no need to start spewing vulgarities even if you don't agree. And I never say buy property now. I just say, different areas present different opportunities. Don't be so stuck in a box.

wild falcon is indirectly tellin u to go f..k yourself

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    However, I must admit that he got a point here on "don't buy surburbia (private properties) because price already too high" - Your arguments are full of holes and you got smacked by him!

- And suburbia is not even risky, because it is less dependent on the "international demand" and achieves the greatest yield in today's market.
    Price so high still not risky? Precisely because it depends on local income for price rise so that is why there is no way the price can fly higher since most buyers of OCR properties are already stretching to the limit buying at >=$1000 psf!. Just wait for interest to increase to >4% and there will be fire sales everywhere! (just a matter of time for interest rate to increase!). Greatest yield? Ha ha ha! Greatest yield based yester-year's prices? No wonder!

The only risk is government intervention - had the govt allow free market, suburbia will do even better.
    There is no way the govt will let OCR prices rise too much because it means most of the buyers will be over-stretching themselves and may cause banks to collapse! As such, for sure the government will intervene in OCR property market (as is HDB market). That is another reason OCR private properties will never fly! You can continue to dream that OCR private property prices will close the gap with prime private properties to reach >$5000 psf!

I agree with your argument to a large extent.. But sometimes I really think that OCR property, though increased alot in price, but still very affordable. If people like me who do not even qualify as a middle income group can afford a 1mil property, many people can afford it comfortably. Alot of my friends bought private with their combined income only slightly above 10K per month. I would think that only if prices of mass condo is out of reach to people below middle income group, then considered reasonable. The rest should stay in HDB. If not everyone can own a condo, so whats the big deal?

wiht 200K better to buy now Double bay residence in D18 as area is under value and with singapore 4th uni opening up prices are going to zoom up.

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    I agree with your argument to a large extent.. But sometimes I really think that OCR property, though increased alot in price, but still very affordable. If people like me who do not even qualify as a middle income group can afford a 1mil property, many people can afford it comfortably. Alot of my friends bought private with their combined income only slightly above 10K per month. I would think that only if prices of mass condo is out of reach to people below middle income group, then considered reasonable. The rest should stay in HDB. If not everyone can own a condo, so whats the big deal?

Tanumy are you under Double Bay Black Magic?

I think we like you, why not post something different? Like your favorite food you know ... like Chicken rice extra egg or something?

OCR is definitely affordable, even in today's context.
    Anyone with an income above HDB ceiling is able to afford one.

But the issue here is more sentiment. If the general "feel" is "now it's too high", every one will stop buying. However after a few months if the sentiment changes, every one will buy again.

from 2006 to 2010, there is no real income change for the middle class. And yet mass market prices jump 50%. It's just the sentiment change. Previously something at $650 was considered "nor worth" (e.g. Double Bay), now $900 becomes acceptable.

If managed to save only $200k over these few years also cannot keep up with the price increase to buy a decent unit.

I am thinking that if OCR at $1000-1200 psf is still considered affordable, then RCR at $1400-1800 psf and CCR at $2300-3000 psf must have been quite undervalued! So those who said CCR over-valued and not worth buying and OCR under-valued and is good-value buy doesn't quite hold water?
    Furthermore, from 1997-2010, the higher income group has increased in absolute number and has also pulled ahead with even much higher income at the top 10% compared to the bottom 80%. Now the top 10% household income is already like at least $20k per month while previously it was like only $15k per month (based on memory, not actual figure, whoever has actual figure readily on hand please let us know).

OCR is definitely affordable, even in today's context.
    Anyone with an income above HDB ceiling is able to afford one.

But the issue here is more sentiment. If the general "feel" is "now it's too high", every one will stop buying. However after a few months if the sentiment changes, every one will buy again.

from 2006 to 2010, there is no real income change for the middle class. And yet mass market prices jump 50%. It's just the sentiment change. Previously something at $650 was considered "nor worth" (e.g. Double Bay), now $900 becomes acceptable.

I am thinking that if OCR at $1000-1200 psf is still considered affordable, then RCR at $1400-1800 psf and CCR at $2300-3000 psf must have been quite undervalued! So those who said CCR over-valued and not worth buying and OCR under-valued and is good-value buy doesn't quite hold water?
    Furthermore, from 1997-2010, the higher income group has increased in absolute number and has also pulled ahead with even much higher income at the top 10% compared to the bottom 80%. Now the top 10% household income is already like at least $20k per month while previously it was like only $15k per month (based on memory, not actual figure, whoever has actual figure readily on hand please let us know).
    u nvr make $$ out of OCR this round ar?

if any of you had taken my tip and bought keppel corp when it opened today, you would have made at least .20 by now. don't even have to hold the stock for one day.

My view is that the so called segmentation of CCR, RCR and OCR is archaic - times have changed and you see the 'primeness' of the so called prime districts diluting...and buyers don't really care about suburbs or prime that much as commutation improves.

MRT stations will be building around the whole Island. I suppose the price gap will be narrowed.

Public train system is even more complete and better in HK, London and Paris, but the price gap between their equivalent CCR vs OCR is multiple times higher than that of in Singapore! (Prime pivate property prices have little correlation to MRT stations nearby (only OCR private properties prices may be), otherwise Ardmore Park will not sell at >$3700 psf!)

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    MRT stations will be building around the whole Island. I suppose the price gap will be narrowed.

London and Paris existed much longer than the whole history of Singapore! Despite the tremendous improvement in public transport and popularization of private vehicles, the price multiples of properties in the central of London and Paris vs those of outskirts actually increased multiple times more!

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    My view is that the so called segmentation of CCR, RCR and OCR is archaic - times have changed and you see the 'primeness' of the so called prime districts diluting...and buyers don't really care about suburbs or prime that much as commutation improves.

I am thinking that if OCR at $1000-1200 psf is still considered affordable, then RCR at $1400-1800 psf and CCR at $2300-3000 psf must have been quite undervalued!
    hey I only say 1000 is affordable, not 1200. 1200 is 20% higher ok

For me, CCR, in SG context, is hard to have super high prices like HK. There are insufficient cash rich foreign buyers. And fund managers are not interested in SG pty market. It's too small.

For me, CCR, in SG context, is hard to have super high prices like HK. There are insufficient cash rich foreign buyers. And fund managers are not interested in SG pty market. It's too small.
    ya lor...HK got china richies....

SG only hope for overflows....even for the hot monies

Why not? SG got Richies from Indonesia, China, India, Thailand, Mynmar, Malaysia, etc - More variety of buyers than HK! They are here for a variety of reasons! E.g. Indonesia - The richies are mostly Chinese, scare got massacred, so their families are here in SG while they fly in & out of Indonesia & SG on business. The rest for all other reasons (e.g. wash money, political reasons, etc). In fact, since the buyers are of more vary background, there are more potential buyers and should go up higher than HK!

Why not? SG got Richies from Indonesia, China, India, Thailand, Mynmar, Malaysia, etc - More variety of buyers than HK! They are here for a variety of reasons! E.g. Indonesia - The richies are mostly Chinese, scare got massacred, so their families are here in SG while they fly in & out of Indonesia & SG on business. The rest for all other reasons (e.g. wash money, political reasons, etc). In fact, since the buyers are of more vary background, there are more potential buyers and should go up higher than HK!
    brother bear, pls go and compare number of china richies, european richies and japan/korea richies investing in HK and the southeast asian richies investing in SG.

the number of richies in china alone can surpass x10 the combined number of richies in southeast asia.

London and Paris existed much longer than the whole history of Singapore! Despite the tremendous improvement in public transport and popularization of private vehicles, the price multiples of properties in the central of London and Paris vs those of outskirts actually increased multiple times more!
    Singapore is much tinier - it's a different case and also, London and Paris concentrates their industry powerhouses into a couple of locations (eg Mayfair) hence increasing the property prices drastically in those areas (their CCRs)

Singapore does not do that - we spread that out - it really depends on the strategy the government is employing, not the history (or even commutation) of the city. If government is happy with Shenton Way / Orchard, we won't be developing Marina Bay or Lakeside or Seletar etc etc