Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Seeking Advice - Tanjong Rhu

User Info Menu

Default Newbie Seeking Advice - Tanjong Rhu

Seeking help from all the experienced and knowledgable participants in this forum.

I am first timer looking for a flat (yes, still looking) with my wife. May I ask if there is anyone who feels that Tanjong Rhu is lagging in terms of price?

I was thinking that it is quite a good location, close to town with bay/river view, and Costa Rhu psf are only around $1000, which is not much different from new launches in further out areas. The avg price transacted for Costa Rhu was around 870psf, which is around a 15% increase. Are there any reasons why prices are not higher for condo in that area please?

Thank you very much.

东方

User Info Menu

I think Tg Rhu at 1k psf is very high already. Given not very accessible, relatively deserted, on reclaimed land and mostly 99LH. I do see quite many angmos at Kallang Leisurepark waiting for shuttle bus though which I suspect is from Tg Rhu so means it at least still draws the expatriate crowd to a certain extent. If for own stay you better darn well make sure you drive...

Junior

User Info Menu

The main issue with tanjong rhu is almost all the condo there are 99year leasehold. The only one with FH is Parkshore, but it doesn't get any bay frontage, as it is completely surrounded by bigger neighbours.

The condos have been there are more than 10years, so 10+ of the 99yrs is exhausted. As it gets further into the 99yr, the faster the value is going to drop.

On the plus, side the bay fronting units are great. The new MRT line is coming (who knows when)

Go for Smallest Unit

User Info Menu

First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

User Info Menu

IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

At what price? (Worth it or not is a matter of price! Why must be "new"? "New" will become old once a person starts to live in it!).

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Appreciate your answers.

Had a stroll with wife in that area today and like that place quite a lot. There is only one SBS service there, happy to learn that there is a $4.5 per ride shuttle bus available to raffles place, haha.

Was also checking out another thread in this forum on Tanjong Rhu under MAster Plan 2008, sounds good though. 99LH doesn't bother me that much since now most development are also 99LH and I intend to stay there for a while...

Looks like gotta rethink since so many people are having reservations on that area. sigh, property, not easy not easy...

User Info Menu

The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
    Pebble bay - 1998 LH
    Waterplace -2004 LH
    Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
    Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
    Camelot - 2001 LH
    The Waterside - 1993 FH?
    etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing

And yes, better make sure u drive!

User Info Menu

Thanks Flxcat!

Yeah, most 2 bedder have psf around $1.1k based on URA website, hopefully it'd remain there (and maybe lower? ) when I get everything ready and work on the sums....

Ok with down payments but definitely won't have any 6mth buffer (as adviced by most property books), so gotta work on the assumption that my wife AND i will hold on to our jobs for as long as possible....

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck

User Info Menu

Sigh, guess 600psf is a thing of the past... if only i am born a few years earlier... (but then again, guess many people born then will be saying the same thing)

Was just doing a comparison... new launches further than AngMoKio and Bedok are asking close to the price... places in Amber Road are asking like 1200-1400 or more(granted they have much better accessibility and amenities) hence i thought Tanjong Rhu is kind of "undervalued" in terms of location and quality (that's before you guys alerted me to the 99LH issue)

Still have 900-1000 sq unit lah, but not many, unfortnately...

Quote Originally Posted by pod
    The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
    Pebble bay - 1998 LH
    Waterplace -2004 LH
    Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
    Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
    Camelot - 2001 LH
    The Waterside - 1993 FH?
    etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing

And yes, better make sure u drive!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast