Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Seeking Advice - Tanjong Rhu

Default Newbie Seeking Advice - Tanjong Rhu

Seeking help from all the experienced and knowledgable participants in this forum.

I am first timer looking for a flat (yes, still looking) with my wife. May I ask if there is anyone who feels that Tanjong Rhu is lagging in terms of price?

I was thinking that it is quite a good location, close to town with bay/river view, and Costa Rhu psf are only around $1000, which is not much different from new launches in further out areas. The avg price transacted for Costa Rhu was around 870psf, which is around a 15% increase. Are there any reasons why prices are not higher for condo in that area please?

Thank you very much.

I think Tg Rhu at 1k psf is very high already. Given not very accessible, relatively deserted, on reclaimed land and mostly 99LH. I do see quite many angmos at Kallang Leisurepark waiting for shuttle bus though which I suspect is from Tg Rhu so means it at least still draws the expatriate crowd to a certain extent. If for own stay you better darn well make sure you drive...

The main issue with tanjong rhu is almost all the condo there are 99year leasehold. The only one with FH is Parkshore, but it doesn't get any bay frontage, as it is completely surrounded by bigger neighbours.

The condos have been there are more than 10years, so 10+ of the 99yrs is exhausted. As it gets further into the 99yr, the faster the value is going to drop.

On the plus, side the bay fronting units are great. The new MRT line is coming (who knows when)

First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

At what price? (Worth it or not is a matter of price! Why must be "new"? "New" will become old once a person starts to live in it!).

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    First home should be hdb, if want to stay condo, new condos just top will be better. Why tat area?

Thanks guys! Appreciate your answers.

Had a stroll with wife in that area today and like that place quite a lot. There is only one SBS service there, happy to learn that there is a $4.5 per ride shuttle bus available to raffles place, haha.

Was also checking out another thread in this forum on Tanjong Rhu under MAster Plan 2008, sounds good though. 99LH doesn't bother me that much since now most development are also 99LH and I intend to stay there for a while...

Looks like gotta rethink since so many people are having reservations on that area. sigh, property, not easy not easy...

The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
    Pebble bay - 1998 LH
    Waterplace -2004 LH
    Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
    Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
    Camelot - 2001 LH
    The Waterside - 1993 FH?
    etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing

And yes, better make sure u drive!

Thanks Flxcat!

Yeah, most 2 bedder have psf around $1.1k based on URA website, hopefully it'd remain there (and maybe lower? ) when I get everything ready and work on the sums....

Ok with down payments but definitely won't have any 6mth buffer (as adviced by most property books), so gotta work on the assumption that my wife AND i will hold on to our jobs for as long as possible....

Quote Originally Posted by flxcat
    IMO, Tg Rhu is a nice place and more is coming along the way.

Not sure how big a unit you are looking at, as for $1K psf, should be at least 3rm, and the quantum will be quiit sizable >$1mio.

2 bedder not too sure if <$1k psf can get not. Also do note most are 99LH and the newest waterplace should have 8yrs old from the land sales date.

Unless you have the budget and not overly stretched, otherwise just like other forumer, first home should target HDB and buy direct from govt to start as a stepping stone.

Of course, only yourself know best. good luck

Sigh, guess 600psf is a thing of the past... if only i am born a few years earlier... (but then again, guess many people born then will be saying the same thing)

Was just doing a comparison... new launches further than AngMoKio and Bedok are asking close to the price... places in Amber Road are asking like 1200-1400 or more(granted they have much better accessibility and amenities) hence i thought Tanjong Rhu is kind of "undervalued" in terms of location and quality (that's before you guys alerted me to the 99LH issue)

Still have 900-1000 sq unit lah, but not many, unfortnately...

Quote Originally Posted by pod
    The leasehold title is probably holding buyers back, but they command good rental returns especially those 1st owners. (in terms of yield)

Casuarina cove - 1996 LH
    Pebble bay - 1998 LH
    Waterplace -2004 LH
    Sanctuary Green - 2003 LH
    Tanjong Ria - 1997 LH
    Camelot - 2001 LH
    The Waterside - 1993 FH?
    etc etc

Perhaps also their size is bigger then those current 'MM' units, hence price quantum will shun first time budget buyers. The typical units at "The Waterside' is about 2000sf in size!

1000psf cheap meh? I tink they were proly sold in the range of 600psf + back then? Juz guessing

And yes, better make sure u drive!

Quote Originally Posted by art10626
    Thanks Flxcat!

Yeah, most 2 bedder have psf around $1.1k based on URA website, hopefully it'd remain there (and maybe lower? ) when I get everything ready and work on the sums....

Ok with down payments but definitely won't have any 6mth buffer (as adviced by most property books), so gotta work on the assumption that my wife AND i will hold on to our jobs for as long as possible....
    most developments there r big in sizes....and only big units got beautiful bayview which will cost u a bomb even at 1kpsf(full bayview units r asking ard 1.1-1.2kpsf)

i tink only sanctuary green and tanjong ria 2bedders still below 1mio whrby tanjong ria 2bedder having the lowest quantum...

no 6mths buffer...pls dun buy...buy HDB first la...cheaper and its an entitlement(GRANT) for married singka

hehe, making me feel naive and reckless (i think i am...)

Remembered when my parents and I used to take cab past Tanjong Rhu on ECP a decade ago (and even when I dated my wife a year back) and I kept telling them this is the place where I want to be, now that I feel I am pretty close and am getting quite emotional and less careful with my numbers.... would need to rethink more rationally now...

Thanks for all your inputs, woke me up and knock some sense back into me.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    most developments there r big in sizes....and only big units got beautiful bayview which will cost u a bomb even at 1kpsf(full bayview units r asking ard 1.1-1.2kpsf)

i tink only sanctuary green and tanjong ria 2bedders still below 1mio whrby tanjong ria 2bedder having the lowest quantum...

no 6mths buffer...pls dun buy...buy HDB first la...cheaper and its an entitlement(GRANT) for married singka

Seeking help from all the experienced and knowledgable participants in this forum.

I am first timer looking for a flat (yes, still looking) with my wife. May I ask if there is anyone who feels that Tanjong Rhu is lagging in terms of price?

I was thinking that it is quite a good location, close to town with bay/river view, and Costa Rhu psf are only around $1000, which is not much different from new launches in further out areas. The avg price transacted for Costa Rhu was around 870psf, which is around a 15% increase. Are there any reasons why prices are not higher for condo in that area please?

Thank you very much.
    In my opinion, tanjong rhu at <900 is reasonable buy. Though 99lh, the area has good potential, with kallang biz park, garden and sport hub in plan.

As a first timer, buying hdb or condo, u are likely to buy at peak, price may adjust downward, if unlucky. But with all the $$ printing, It is better to own a private condon than hdb. If inflation hit, and price rise again, private housing is less restricted by government ruling. When recession hit, and price fall, both hdb and private are impacted.

Get a old resale which is lag in price.. Costa rhu is fine. Just don't overpay for a new development at this point. Definitely not the MM..

haha, that touched on my raw nerve.

Under pressure from in-laws to buy a property asap. They got quite well off from property investment... and want me to follow them...

Given the economic uncertainties, the speed of price increase and the increased housing supply and government measures, I am quite bearish with property prices in the short run. however, i said the same thing to them and missed the 2009 boat, so can't delay anymore and have been looking for price- lagging properties.

Definitely no new launches or MM, they scare me...

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    In my opinion, tanjong rhu at <900 is reasonable buy. Though 99lh, the area has good potential, with kallang biz park, garden and sport hub in plan.

As a first timer, buying hdb or condo, u are likely to buy at peak, price may adjust downward, if unlucky. But with all the $$ printing, It is better to own a private condon than hdb. If inflation hit, and price rise again, private housing is less restricted by government ruling. When recession hit, and price fall, both hdb and private are impacted.

Get a old resale which is lag in price.. Costa rhu is fine. Just don't overpay for a new development at this point. Definitely not the MM..

Tanjong Rhu is nice area. Good for rental but I won't really advise for own stay unless you have $$ to burn.

Costa Rhu is one of the cheapest in terms of psf. But note that their units are bigger than others. That means their 2-room is probably same size as Waterplace's or Santuary Green's 3-room, so prepare for higher quantum. It is also not walking distance to the MRT, while many others are. Of course if you can get a MBS view, then it can be nice.

Forget tanjong rhu and buy double bay residence at simei. A great place to invest with high capital gain.

Quote Originally Posted by TS
    Tanjong Rhu is nice area. Good for rental but I won't really advise for own stay unless you have $$ to burn.

Costa Rhu is one of the cheapest in terms of psf. But note that their units are bigger than others. That means their 2-room is probably same size as Waterplace's or Santuary Green's 3-room, so prepare for higher quantum. It is also not walking distance to the MRT, while many others are. Of course if you can get a MBS view, then it can be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    At what price? (Worth it or not is a matter of price! Why must be "new"? "New" will become old once a person starts to live in it!).
    Below $1000 psf still ok. FOr newly wed, new is preferred. Location wise, subjective.

Cool

If your wife and yourself are both working in the CBD, then it will be nice to have a home fairly nearby and this stretch from Tanjong Rhu to the end of Marine Parade is a good location. There is always a good 'feel' to the place, and the proximity to the sea is always a plus point. (We can always cut more trees and clear more parks/forests to give space to more high-rise flats, but Singapore's shorelines are only those that you see now). Property prices around that area are unlikely to drop because there will always a demand and rentals will continue to look good. In fact, those who are willing to sell their smaller units along the east coast are likely to buy a larger unit within their condos or estate area - imagine all this demand without an mrt station for years. What happens when mrt comes up in Tanjong Rhu and East Coast?

On the other hand, since you are a newly wed couple, it is better for you to stay near some good primary school for your (near future) child as this competition for a place in a good school will be an issue soon. Tao Nan School is not bad in the East area. If you are looking at even longer terms, look at River Edge condo which is fabulous, with a view of the Marina Sands and next door to Dunman High.

One more thing. On National Day, either camp at home or don't come back home to that area. It is always very very jam packed on National Day.

Thanks guys! Appreciate your answers.

Had a stroll with wife in that area today and like that place quite a lot. There is only one SBS service there, happy to learn that there is a $4.5 per ride shuttle bus available to raffles place, haha.

Was also checking out another thread in this forum on Tanjong Rhu under MAster Plan 2008, sounds good though. 99LH doesn't bother me that much since now most development are also 99LH and I intend to stay there for a while...

Looks like gotta rethink since so many people are having reservations on that area. sigh, property, not easy not easy...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Did you make a mistake? Singapore shorelines have been expanding outwards into the sea and growing! Those near old shorelines with sea views now mostly don't have with new buildings being built on the reclaimed land further out into the sea!

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    If your wife and yourself are both working in the CBD, then it will be nice to have a home fairly nearby and this stretch from Tanjong Rhu to the end of Marine Parade is a good location. There is always a good 'feel' to the place, and the proximity to the sea is always a plus point. (We can always cut more trees and clear more parks/forests to give space to more high-rise flats, but Singapore's shorelines are only those that you see now). Property prices around that area are unlikely to drop because there will always a demand and rentals will continue to look good. In fact, those who are willing to sell their smaller units along the east coast are likely to buy a larger unit within their condos or estate area - imagine all this demand without an mrt station for years. What happens when mrt comes up in Tanjong Rhu and East Coast?

On the other hand, since you are a newly wed couple, it is better for you to stay near some good primary school for your (near future) child as this competition for a place in a good school will be an issue soon. Tao Nan School is not bad in the East area. If you are looking at even longer terms, look at River Edge condo which is fabulous, with a view of the Marina Sands and next door to Dunman High.

hehe, making me feel naive and reckless (i think i am...)

Remembered when my parents and I used to take cab past Tanjong Rhu on ECP a decade ago (and even when I dated my wife a year back) and I kept telling them this is the place where I want to be, now that I feel I am pretty close and am getting quite emotional and less careful with my numbers.... would need to rethink more rationally now...

Thanks for all your inputs, woke me up and knock some sense back into me.
    yup.. tanjong rhu has an almost idyllic pace and feel ...
    I also loved that place too Maybe you can buy a HDB like what most suggested and wait.. I'm sure new launches is in the pipeline once the Sports Hub is up. There are a lot of empty land around that whole area.

Tg Rhu....I owned a unit there for 12 years....recently sold 1.5 years ago. Nice place and close to town and katong. Downside...no amenities and not much upside for value. In 2005-2006 you still can get a unit there for avg $700-750psf. I expect prices will come down in time.

My advice is look elsewhere.... there are better locations that can command good value and returns.

Just my 2

Says alot about the location if someone who had stayed there long periods of time advises you to look elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Did you make a mistake? Singapore shorelines have been expanding outwards into the sea and growing! Those near old shorelines with sea views now mostly don't have with new buildings being built on the reclaimed land further out into the sea!
    I think that is more of the west coast than east coast. Although, I have always been curious about that big plot of land at Marina East just before East Coast Park, near Tanjong Rhu - what if.........what if that becomes another big project like Disneyland+Disneysea? Looks like a perfect place for that sort of thing.

Thanks guys, have a much better picture now...

Downside: No amenities, inaccessible, 99LH, limited price gain

Upside: Nice place water front, near town, room for potential development

MGM Grand mentioned limited price gain... i guess it is due to downside factors above... could it be a case of glass half full or half empty? unpolished gem?

If it is half full, ike reuters said, who knows maybe a positive development may just drop from sky? was quite excited watching News reporting Garden by the Bay just now, hahaha. but also can't wait forever... just like waiting for Nikkei to go up...

a common consensus seems like upside limited in the short run (thanks guys again), so shall wait around further for price drop. hopefully soon... current rent contract expiring july next year

Thanks guys, have a much better picture now...

Downside: No amenities, inaccessible, 99LH, limited price gain

Upside: Nice place water front, near town, room for potential development

MGM Grand mentioned limited price gain... i guess it is due to downside factors above... could it be a case of glass half full or half empty? unpolished gem?

If it is half full, ike reuters said, who knows maybe a positive development may just drop from sky? was quite excited watching News reporting Garden by the Bay just now, hahaha. but also can't wait forever... just like waiting for Nikkei to go up...

a common consensus seems like upside limited in the short run (thanks guys again), so shall wait around further for price drop. hopefully soon... current rent contract expiring july next year
    I assume that once you buy a tanjong rhu ppty, u will surely need to renovate.

Pls budget that part of the cost too. Most of these ppties are pretty 'run down' or 'tenant ruined'

But if u like it, jus do sme planning n discuss with ur wife. I tink the fun part of house searching is all these things that run up to inking on the paper.

*I remembered when I was driving into tanjong rhu 6yrs ago.. I was telling myself this place is so nice & 'liveable' (I love quiet places)

I still think that there are some potential in Tanjong Rhu (1) potentially a new MRT station to be announced in 2012, (2) a big plot of land new to the current golf course - was earlier identified for developing disney land - I think likely site for 3rd IR, (3) the new sports hub. I quite like that area for its bay/river front living and exclusiveness (not easy to get to if you dont drive and no amenities). However, in recent years the western expat has been moving out of this area, and being replaced by Indian nationals. That could be one of the recent why the price is not going up as much. 99 LH is another concern, so I think Waterina or condos along Meyer Rd will be a better bet if you really like this area

hehe, you are right, this is a real joy. Wife and I were very "high" walking around the area next to the river but not so high when trying to work the numbers after hearing from you guys in the forum, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by pod
    I assume that once you buy a tanjong rhu ppty, u will surely need to renovate.

Pls budget that part of the cost too. Most of these ppties are pretty 'run down' or 'tenant ruined'

But if u like it, jus do sme planning n discuss with ur wife. I tink the fun part of house searching is all these things that run up to inking on the paper.

*I remembered when I was driving into tanjong rhu 6yrs ago.. I was telling myself this place is so nice & 'liveable' (I love quiet places)

Still the stand from my previous post. Only u yourself know best. Do ur planning n sums after obtaining info from fellow forumers. If have the financial means do consider this area.

I still think is a gem that yet to be uncovered considering all the amenities coming along. U can also visit the other tg rhu thread where more was discussed.
    When most of the amenities are up so will the px of new condo in tg rhu.

May sound lame, I do find once the bridge is built to connect the east garden to pitstop, will be great for a jog or stroll to marina bay area. Or alternatively head towards east coast park from under flyover near to SG condo.
    Shopping will improve once sport hub is up n dinning areas near costa rhu n PB is up with water taxi plying between marina bay n
    kallang basin n more.
    Wrote too much. Still only u can decide. Good luck again

hehe, you are right, this is a real joy. Wife and I were very "high" walking around the area next to the river but not so high when trying to work the numbers after hearing from you guys in the forum, haha.
    The potential in tanjung rhu is immense bro. Expect the transport system to be beefed up for this area + the possibility of more commercial activities in certain pockets along the river. (as indicated in Master plan)

Actually if u stay near the Tanjong Rhu Footbridge or Bridge/stadium way, u can actually 'walk' over to the Leisure Park/Indoor stadium/Theatre for more food & activities. Quite nice even when I imagine myself staying there now. Haha... (This I believe u have already know by now?)