Thread: Questions from a newbie

Default Questions from a newbie

1. Anyone who owned a new private property can advise if choosing of colors for wardrobes, flooring, walls etc and choosing where to stall electrical points allowed before TOP for new property? Can we request and will the developer let us choose?

2. My agent called me yesterday and advise me to sell my primo, get a 3 room hdb, 5 years later buy back condo. He said this is a good move, can I trust him? Of course he want to sell primo for me and help me find a 3 room flat. So maybe he only have his interest at heart so not reliable?

Do not think you can do that in a new project. Some developments may give you two or three options of floor finishes.

HDB flat has already reached new peaks by looking at the index. Not wise to sell condo and buy HDB flat. Some people sell condo and rent a flat.

Cannot trust property agent!

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    1. Anyone who owned a new private property can advise if choosing of colors for wardrobes, flooring, walls etc and choosing where to stall electrical points allowed before TOP for new property? Can we request and will the developer let us choose?

2. My agent called me yesterday and advise me to sell my primo, get a 3 room hdb, 5 years later buy back condo. He said this is a good move, can I trust him? Of course he want to sell primo for me and help me find a 3 room flat. So maybe he only have his interest at heart so not reliable?
    sure ask u to sell and buy again...haha...if not he no biz mah

ask the agent he got any offer or cheque or not? otherwise he is just trying to "churn" so just listen listen sua liao dun place too much faith in their words

1. You can make your special requests right at the beginning before construction work commmences like if you want to remove a wardrobe or replace position of the room door (subjected to approval by the developer and usually they'll only say 'yes' if the overall cost of your request is lower than the original cost).

2. Selling private condo and buying hdb or not depends on your requirements and needs. If you have need of a condo or have always wanted to enjoy condo facilities and waited so long and finally bought one, then no point selling it and waiting another 5 years while staying in a hdb only becoz hdb is valuable. Furthermore, some people have needs for security, etc to provide for their young children, so it really depend on individual needs.

Think of it this way, hdb is valuable probably only because of the following factors: a. it is cheaper than private properties so can be a cheaper option for our current housing need. b. (can't think of anything else).

HDB flat is only good if we're staying in it or renting it out as a source of income. If you are intending to stay in condo (and so not staying in hdb), then it is only good for rent. In my opinion, waiting 5 yrs for that source of income can be easily replicated by getting a studio condo which is abt same price as a 5 rm or EA flat and fetches abt the same rental yield so if not staying in hdb, it certainly is not worth waiting that 5 yrs. Unless you already own a hdb and fulfilled the MOP then don't be quick to sell it.

Just my 2cents opinion and hope it helps.

5yrs is a long time to be tied down and not able to buy private when good opportunities arise. I will not heed your agent's 'advice'.

Buy/sell/rent instructions should always come from you the client.

You only ask property agents to share their observations on current property sale/rental market, NOT give advice on whether to buy or sell. And beware of "unsolicited advice" from anyone with vested interest.

Of course, you can take professional advice from a consultant who represent your interest and you pay for the service.

2. My agent called me yesterday and advise me to sell my primo, get a 3 room hdb, 5 years later buy back condo. He said this is a good move..
    This shld raise your red flags all over.Property who calls you to sell definitely cannot be trusted.

actually no body know for sure what happen aft 5 years...
    but one thing for sure 5 years are not a short time to wait.

If all boils down to whether u think u can buy the same unit back in 5 years time at a lower price + 10% transaction cost?

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    actually no body know for sure what happen aft 5 years...
    but one thing for sure 5 years are not a short time to wait.
    This sounds like a hint to vote wisely.

5 years is indeed long. How many 5 years does one have ?

U got not enough for primo mm? Dun sell primo, buy lots of mm.

I am on the reverse. I have sold HDB and bought privates. Will get a studio from HDB for retirement when due.

I cant advice you which to buy or sell, but for sure i can advice never listen to property agent. They are rank on par with second hand car dealer ! They scent hesitance and prowl on ignorance. You know where i am coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by mogyi
    I cant advice you which to buy or sell, but for sure i can advice never listen to property agent. They are rank on par with second hand car dealer ! They scent hesitance and prowl on ignorance. You know where i am coming from.
    saw this morning's 早报 front page, less than 1 month after commencing operations the Council of Estate Agencies (CEA) has already received 72 complaints against agents ~ lol

Not all property agents are bad though. The one I worked with for years had been a tremendous help in dealing with my tenants and closing deals for me.

To express my gratitude, I even wrote a poem for her in my blog at http://propertysoul.com/2010/10/08/a...roperty-agent/

Through the years, I also pick up some tips to tell the good from the bad ones. You can read them at http://propertysoul.com/category/buy-fix-lease/

so who is your magic agent?

Quote Originally Posted by vip
    Not all property agents are bad though. The one I worked with for years had been a tremendous help in dealing with my tenants and closing deals for me.

To express my gratitude, I even wrote a poem for her in my blog at http://propertysoul.com/2010/10/08/a...roperty-agent/

Through the years, I also pick up some tips to tell the good from the bad ones. You can read them at http://propertysoul.com/category/buy-fix-lease/

Quote Originally Posted by vip

hard to believe

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    so who is your magic agent?
    Or maybe he's cloning himself and doing self marketing...
    Sorry I just can't help it.

you're the one who bought a small penthouse recently right?

let's put things in another perspective to what he suggested. Assuming market corrects and you are able to repurchase the same ph you sold, you need to spend stamp duty on your current unit on the repurchase, plus stamp duty on the 3 room flat, plus wait 3 years. Those are the cost.

Next question, are you confident that the market will correct substantially enough to justify all that cost in the face of QE after QE from the States?

If you have the answers to the above 2 questions, you'll have an answer for your agent.

Be careful of agent getting clients to churn, especially during their dry spell. You must fully understand why you're buying, selling or holding, and not because your agent told you so.

Thank you guys, I got the answer

Btw kane, why 3 years?? Not 5 years meh?

Tell the agent beside the profit you want, selling price must also be able to cover your the rental for staying in a condo for 5 years.

Already past few months, agent still cant sell my unit
    Still wondering why he is willing to market

Thank you guys, I got the answer

Btw kane, why 3 years?? Not 5 years meh?
    apologies, too many measures until i lost track. yes, it's 5 years.

so you get the picture.