Thread: China buyers home in on S'pore properties

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default China buyers home in on S'pore properties

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...14640,00.html?

Published November 24, 2010

China buyers home in on S'pore properties

Their presence is growing; more may come in as HK, China cool markets back home

By EMILYN YAP

(SINGAPORE) Home hunters from China are becoming a force to be reckoned with in Singapore, and their presence could grow further as the authorities on the mainland and in Hong Kong clamp down on real estate speculation.

Analysing the caveats lodged, property consultancy DTZ found that the Chinese accounted for 20 per cent of private home transactions involving foreigners and permanent residents (PRs) in the third quarter. This proportion is the highest since official data was available from 1995.

The Chinese became the second-largest group of non-Singaporean buyers, on a par with Indonesians. Malaysians took top spot with a 21 per cent share, and Indians ranked fourth with 14 per cent.

On the whole, foreigners and PRs accounted for 23 per cent of the 7,888 private-home transactions in the third quarter.

Singaporeans bought the majority of homes and had a 73 per cent share. Companies were involved in the remaining 3 per cent.

The presence of Chinese buyers has grown significantly since 2007, DTZ said. Just a quarter earlier in Q2, they made up 17 per cent of non-Singaporean private home buyers, coming in third behind Malaysians and Indonesians.

Their share of transactions 'may go up further as recent property market curbs in China could prompt more mainland Chinese buyers to turn their attention overseas', DTZ said.

The Chinese government has introduced a raft of rules to cool the property market in the last few months. These include a suspension of mortgages for third homes, higher interest rates, and larger down payments for homes. A property tax is now said to be on the cards.

Hong Kong has also stepped up efforts to weed out property speculators.

Just a few days ago, the authorities imposed a special stamp duty on property transactions with short holding periods - those reselling their properties within six months would be taxed as much as 15 per cent of the total transaction amount.

Chinese buyers are probably expecting limited upside from investing in property at home as more measures come into play, said Credo Real Estate executive director Ong Teck Hui. As a result, some of them could turn to Singapore.

Anecdotally, quite a number of Chinese also buy property in Hong Kong, so rule changes there would also have an effect, he added.

Savills residential director Phylicia Ang agreed that policy tightening on the mainland could lead more Chinese property buyers here. But she pointed out that many purchase homes in Singapore not so much for investment, but because they become PRs or have family members studying here.

'Singapore is one of those cities that they are comfortable with,' said Knight Frank managing director (residential services) Peter Ow.

A number of them become acquainted with the property market here through their private bankers or local developers with offices in China, such as Far East Organization, he added.

The topic of foreigners buying property in Singapore is a touchy one, especially at a time of rising home prices. Singapore has introduced several measures to keep the property market stable since September last year.

On Monday, Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said that 'the government will continue to monitor the situation closely and take additional steps, if necessary, to ensure financial stability and sustainable asset markets'.

Most property consultants do not expect the authorities here to tighten policies as sharply as Hong Kong did - at least for the time being. The rate of price escalation for non-landed private homes has slowed in the third quarter and the government may wait to see how prices move for the rest of the year, said Credo's Mr Ong.

The market will be watching CapitaLand's launch of D'Leedon closely for signs of where private home prices are headed. A preview of the project is said to be taking place this week, with asking prices mostly above $1,600 per square foot.

China buyers really a growing force..
    Go showrooms and you will see a few of them..

Anyway, I was at GreatWorldCity having coffee with gf ...below is summary of what i heard between a taiwanese biz man and a china biz man.

He says his business in china is small-time... but their small-time is big enough for alot of us...seems like they are earning a million USD dollar per full-truckload of shipment of goods. coz I heard them talking about LCs and FOBs.

Then the China man mentioned ARTE.. He interested in a unit there and he say he will just give the seller 30% ($1mil according to him) and see whether the seller bite. Dunno whether he real or not.. but anyway.. THEY TALKED DAMN LOUD...

Then he advised the Taiwanese biz man(even smaller fry than him obviously)... saying as long as you can secured the downline(is it the customers?) , your 3 generations no need to worry.. and he says a lot of china biz men treats singapore as a bridge for the western market (I thought Govt bullshitting on this.. but seems like true leh.)...then he thinks SINGAPORE PROPERTY MARKET IS STABLE ENOUGH FOR HIM TO INVEST.

I Couldn't take it anymore that I am actually evesdropping without trying very hard.. and I walk away thinking .. walan eh... Property Market how to collapse like that.. when every Ah Zhu and AH Mao china businessmen buy properties whenever they come singapore to do business...

Few months ago, a fren of mine was trying to sell his Mayfair 2 bdr unit.
    Insist to sell at $700k.. highest offer came close to $690k still can't close the deal.
    Last month close the deal at $730k.. sold to China buyer.. he happy like shit!

I was contested by an An Nei for a re-sale unit recently. Lost out. I think the chinese and the Ah Nei upped the price of SG property, particularly landed property. Alot of them dont mind settling down in SG.