Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which TK devt is still considered a value-buy now?

reuters,

Yes I saw that one too! But a pity its only a 2-bedder. I am assuming they have a rather large roof terrace, as from the pics I can see it's a PH. But nice project.

laguna,

I see st patricks as a more 'premium' area compared to TK, so def would cost more, can understand. But i the traffic can get rather heavy every morning due to CHIJ right?

devilplate,

Yes u're right. My budget is ard 1.2m for TK area. But I dun mind paying a higher quantum for a larger unit with a lower psf, or if location is good, like nearer to Katong Mall/Parkway side.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    Yes just sold our place...have been in USA since Oct and will be there for 2yrs due to work posting. That's why Im considering whether to buy now, 2010 or just wait till end of 2012. Judging from your comments, I don't think you will buy any units now, am I right?
    Since you will be in US for 2 years and property price in US is at rock bottom price and those in Singapore is in sky high, use your money to buy property in US. Forget about Singapore.

If a 3-bedder in a low-rise devt transacted in Aug 2010 at 950psf for a 1200sqft unit (1.14m), how much would you bargain for a 3-bedder, 1700sqft unit in the same project? (considering out of 1700sqft, probably only 1300+ is built-in area).
    Actually what is the budget you have in mind? 1.14 Mil for a 1200sqf seems a reasonable price in today's climate for that area. but I would feel any immediate potential capital gain (horizon of 1 year or so) from this psf amount will be quite slight and small developments (not sure if the low rise dev you mentioned is also a small development) usually are not so much in high demand once the property age exceeds 5 years imo (due to maintenance). Not that the property is not worth that price but less people are willing to pay at that price.

if possible, I think most people would still go for big developments

Patricia,

Im based in Texas now, and in a city where property prices have been more or less stable for the past 5yrs. Have done a research before coming over, concluded not worth any capital gains in 2yrs, unless buying for LT lease. States like New York or Florida, where property prices are more volatile make the better investments. Anyway, once we are back in spore, we would still need to get a house. Just afraid (if we don't buy now) when that time comes, property prices would be much higher than now. Then I'll really regret selling my unit now.

Emma,

If there's still a unit there at 1.14m (for 1200sqft), I would probably have bought it. But a pity, that was sold in Aug 10' and the only other unit for sale in that devt currently is a bigger PH 1700sqft, which is spacious and I like it too. But owner is asking 1.5m nego, which I feel is too exp, considering it has only abt 1300+sqft of built-in, and abt 400sqft of open roof terrace. So Im thinking what is a good price to bargain. Usually, PH should have lower psf right? This devt has 50+ units.
    Last edited by penguin; 29-11-10 at 12:31.

laguna,

I see st patricks as a more 'premium' area compared to TK, so def would cost more, can understand. But i the traffic can get rather heavy every morning due to CHIJ right?

devilplate,

Yes u're right. My budget is ard 1.2m for TK area. But I dun mind paying a higher quantum for a larger unit with a lower psf, or if location is good, like nearer to Katong Mall/Parkway side.
    u can try smaller older projects like Parkway view, Palladium, etc. But I think they are within 2km but less than 1km from Tao Nan. Have to check.

reuters,

Yes I saw that one too! But a pity its only a 2-bedder. I am assuming they have a rather large roof terrace, as from the pics I can see it's a PH. But nice project.
    Penguin,

I have observed that the location around Katong Mall is really not bad. Lots of good food, supermarket, cafes and very short walking distance to Parkway Parade. Check this out:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...e-ceylon-crest

3 bedder, freehold and about 1,200sqft. If you can bargain it down to 850psf, it may be a good buy! This area has those preserved shophouses so I don't think developers can clear any building here except to go for collective sale like Paramount Hotel nearby. Also, observe 2 things around this area - there is a rather under-utilized carpark at Katong Village. If you walk from Ceylon Crest straight towards Parkway Parade, you come across a rather small Katong Park that looks more like a prominent bus stop (or potential MRT station?).

blackfire,

U're right! Those 2 are very good location and are within 1km fr Tao Nan too. Yeah...I dun mind 8yr devt...can spruce it up with some reno and look just as good as BN units. hee... I will keep track on them. Thanks!!

reuters,

You have a good observation. That area is indeed a good one. But you mean that unit asking 995psf can bargain down to 850psf? Quite hard right? Or is this the norm for prices on propertyguru? As in they always priced much higher than what they are willing to sell?

Patricia,

Im based in Texas now, and in a city where property prices have been more or less stable for the past 5yrs. Have done a research before coming over, concluded not worth any capital gains in 2yrs, unless buying for LT lease. States like New York or Florida, where property prices are more volatile make the better investments. Anyway, once we are back in spore, we would still need to get a house. Just afraid (if we don't buy now) when that time comes, property prices would be much higher than now. Then I'll really regret selling my unit now.

Emma,

If there's still a unit there at 1.14m (for 1200sqft), I would probably have bought it. But a pity, that was sold in Aug 10' and the only other unit for sale in that devt currently is a bigger PH 1700sqft, which is spacious and I like it too. But owner is asking 1.5m nego, which I feel is too exp, considering it has only abt 1300+sqft of built-in, and abt 400sqft of open roof terrace. So Im thinking what is a good price to bargain. Usually, PH should have lower psf right? This devt has 50+ units.
    yes generally psf for larger units should be cheaper relative to smaller units in same developments. then for this PH unit with 1700 psf ( i believe roof terrace is also considered built in area ?), what is the comfortable price you are looking at?

blackfire,

U're right! Those 2 are very good location and are within 1km fr Tao Nan too. Yeah...I dun mind 8yr devt...can spruce it up with some reno and look just as good as BN units. hee... I will keep track on them. Thanks!!

reuters,

You have a good observation. That area is indeed a good one. But you mean that unit asking 995psf can bargain down to 850psf? Quite hard right? Or is this the norm for prices on propertyguru? As in they always priced much higher than what they are willing to sell?
    No harm trying right? You can always send a message to the agent to ask. I think 900psf is very good, but 850psf is a bargain. It is not a big property so you should use this point to negotiate with them I have been around that area on foot. Not bad except for a temple nearby which may be a bit noisy, but otherwise that area's location is good.

Hey reuters, seems like you really do your homework. If i am looking for a property to invest in, budget about $1.4-1.5mil in D15, are there any projects you would recommend?

Patricia,

Emma,

Hi Penguin
    Have you considered the sound? not sure if it will top by 2012 though.
    The sound is also at telok kurau if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    Hey reuters, seems like you really do your homework. If i am looking for a property to invest in, budget about $1.4-1.5mil in D15, are there any projects you would recommend?
    Hi Emma,

Wow, your budget is quite substantial to work with actually. This is my analysis of the area:

> One Amber, Esta and The Sea View:
    I classify these 3 together because they are all near to one another and also because they are all freehold and large estates. If you have enough money, you should still go in to buy one of the units here although you are likely to find that the prices are either about 950k for studios or above 1.8mil for the other apartments - quite hard to find something that fits within the 1.4 - 1.5mil budget because there is still potential for the studios to go up to 1 million since there are really not many studios in these three properties. You will find the asking psf to range from 1,200 to possibly 1,700psf because of the indicative prices by Silversea (only 99 leasehold!) nearby. Somehow, there is a 'feel good' factor with these three because the areas are large and they look more established. Views are not bad for this area, but I will rank views as secondary compared to location. These three properties are very near to Katong Mall, Katong Shopping Centre, Paramount Hotel/Shopping Centre and Parkway Parade. If you ask me, this place REALLY needs an MRT station.

> The Sea View
    Exterior-wise, they are nothing fanciful but Sea View definitely has the loveliest interior. Check out Sea View's pools, clubhouse, art, and nice lobbies. All the lobbies in Sea View are classy unlike Shore Residences which only offers this to their 'premium block'. You should also visit Sea View's clubhouse which has a long history and now preserved as a heritage building. The history of Amber Road itself has to do with this site actually because the 3 Elias family owned the stretch (named after the father 'Amber Elias' of the Elias brothers). This was also the site of some bungalow of a socialite and the location of the former Sea View hotel. (I love history)
    Other than the location, the layout of the apartments here are very sensible, except for the large balconies. Otherwise, you will find that the space for the air-con compressor and bomb shelter are outside the apartment so that they do not take up space. Finishing is lovely too.

> One Amber
    I also like this property because of the views offered by the units facing South. There are pocket sea views but everyone also knows that it means 'tanker' views, so after awhile, it is really no big deal. Again I love the space and the 'feel good' factor. However, the layout is not that ideal here. The bomb shelter can be located in the bedroom! I think the idea is to use it as a walk-in wardrobe but I find it strange. It is a bit like walking into a money vault where you possibly keep your gold. It also uses sliding doors which makes it feel a bit cheap although I suppose that saves space. The entrance to this property is also quite stupid. The entrance is from the back, so if you turn in from ECP into East Coast Road, you need to go all the way past Sea View, enter the roundabout, then try to turn into the side road into this area. I find that troublesome because of this traffic issue (cars from East Coast cannot enter this side road before the roundabout. No right turn).

> Esta
    I rather like this too because of the size and you may find some 2+study units at 1.5mil. I will say that this is possible to consider, although I am really not sure if it is easy to rent out a 2+study unit here. I personally find it easier to rent a studio to an expat at a more affordable rate than try to rent bigger units like this, unless this has some incredible sea view.

> Other properties
    There are also the MM-packed Haig 162 and all those Mountbatten Suites, etc, but those look like very small properties and I am not sure if that will attract rentals since I assume you intend to rent it out for investment and rental yield? Those are also slightly further away from the underpass to East Coast Park and not exactly accessible by a short walk - more like a rather long walk! The Palladium looks quite cheap and the windows look horrible. Though it is also freehold, I don't think this condo is attractive enough to command a premium price. It already looks a bit old!

> Parc Seabreeze
    Love the location, but this is definitely expensive and I am not sure if staying too near a church is a good idea - very crowded! But it is going to be one of the condos nearest to Katong Mall and Marine Parade town centre.

> Suites@Amber
    Can consider this if you have the budget! This is also freehold and very new, in a good location, with seaview! If it is not too big a unit, I'm sure expats will like it as well. Check it out!!

laguna,

devilplate,

St pat school side is not that bad.

blackfire,

reuters,

Did u try sea avenue?

Emma,

I find The Sound way way over-priced, and also out of my budget. But then again I would rather go for Lucent, if I had the budget.

Douk,

Sea Avenue location is not bad too, but i find these older projects harder to come by. Either residents there do not wanna sell, or they get snapped up too fast.

My view :

ur not g'tee a place at TNS, neither ur associated with Hokkien Assocation, nor can be volunteer to the school

An option to consider is to rent a place first, this will give u a better flexibility.

The Sound : rule out, over-priced and not a great project. No basement carpark, small land. U can buy St Pat area at a better value

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    Hi Emma,

Wow, your budget is quite substantial to work with actually. This is my analysis of the area:

I classify these 3 together because they are all near to one another and also because they are all freehold and large estates. If you have enough money, you should still go in to buy one of the units here although you are likely to find that the prices are either about 950k for studios or above 1.8mil for the other apartments - quite hard to find something that fits within the 1.4 - 1.5mil budget because there is still potential for the studios to go up to 1 million since there are really not many studios in these three properties. You will find the asking psf to range from 1,200 to possibly 1,700psf because of the indicative prices by Silversea (only 99 leasehold!) nearby. Somehow, there is a 'feel good' factor with these three because the areas are large and they look more established. Views are not bad for this area, but I will rank views as secondary compared to location. These three properties are very near to Katong Mall, Katong Shopping Centre, Paramount Hotel/Shopping Centre and Parkway Parade. If you ask me, this place REALLY needs an MRT station.

> The Sea View
    Exterior-wise, they are nothing fanciful but Sea View definitely has the loveliest interior. Check out Sea View's pools, clubhouse, art, and nice lobbies. All the lobbies in Sea View are classy unlike Shore Residences which only offers this to their 'premium block'. You should also visit Sea View's clubhouse which has a long history and now preserved as a heritage building. The history of Amber Road itself has to do with this site actually because the 3 Elias family owned the stretch (named after the father 'Amber Elias' of the Elias brothers). This was also the site of some bungalow of a socialite and the location of the former Sea View hotel. (I love history)
    Other than the location, the layout of the apartments here are very sensible, except for the large balconies. Otherwise, you will find that the space for the air-con compressor and bomb shelter are outside the apartment so that they do not take up space. Finishing is lovely too.

> One Amber
    I also like this property because of the views offered by the units facing South. There are pocket sea views but everyone also knows that it means 'tanker' views, so after awhile, it is really no big deal. Again I love the space and the 'feel good' factor. However, the layout is not that ideal here. The bomb shelter can be located in the bedroom! I think the idea is to use it as a walk-in wardrobe but I find it strange. It is a bit like walking into a money vault where you possibly keep your gold. It also uses sliding doors which makes it feel a bit cheap although I suppose that saves space. The entrance to this property is also quite stupid. The entrance is from the back, so if you turn in from ECP into East Coast Road, you need to go all the way past Sea View, enter the roundabout, then try to turn into the side road into this area. I find that troublesome because of this traffic issue (cars from East Coast cannot enter this side road before the roundabout. No right turn).

> Esta
    I rather like this too because of the size and you may find some 2+study units at 1.5mil. I will say that this is possible to consider, although I am really not sure if it is easy to rent out a 2+study unit here. I personally find it easier to rent a studio to an expat at a more affordable rate than try to rent bigger units like this, unless this has some incredible sea view.

> Other properties
    There are also the MM-packed Haig 162 and all those Mountbatten Suites, etc, but those look like very small properties and I am not sure if that will attract rentals since I assume you intend to rent it out for investment and rental yield? Those are also slightly further away from the underpass to East Coast Park and not exactly accessible by a short walk - more like a rather long walk! The Palladium looks quite cheap and the windows look horrible. Though it is also freehold, I don't think this condo is attractive enough to command a premium price. It already looks a bit old!

> Parc Seabreeze
    Love the location, but this is definitely expensive and I am not sure if staying too near a church is a good idea - very crowded! But it is going to be one of the condos nearest to Katong Mall and Marine Parade town centre.

> Suites@Amber
    Can consider this if you have the budget! This is also freehold and very new, in a good location, with seaview! If it is not too big a unit, I'm sure expats will like it as well. Check it out!!
    Hi Reuters
    Thanks for your detailed analysis!
    I have an unit at one amber currently and am looking for a second one to invest in if there's a right one. $1.5- 1.6 mil seems quite tight for a unit in OA, esta or seaview now. I will check out the suites@amber though.
    I generally prefer big developments so if you have further thoughts or recommendations, please let me know. much appreciated!

Hi Reuters
    suites@amber has a very good location but the development only has 28 units, we prefer big developments but the pictures look lovely though! And I like the amber road/ gardens area.
    Do you agree that smaller developments will have more maintenance issues down the road and thus affecting the resale value relative to similar properties in the same vicinity. Cos this is primiarily the main factor that is making me resistant to getting units in small developments. I find that if it's a small development, i personally wouldn't hold it for more than 5 years and cos my investment horizon is 10 years or so, for this reason the smaller dev don't fit into my timescales. thoughts?

Hi Reuters
    suites@amber has a very good location but the development only has 28 units, we prefer big developments but the pictures look lovely though! And I like the amber road/ gardens area.
    Do you agree that smaller developments will have more maintenance issues down the road and thus affecting the resale value relative to similar properties in the same vicinity. Cos this is primiarily the main factor that is making me resistant to getting units in small developments. I find that if it's a small development, i personally wouldn't hold it for more than 5 years and cos my investment horizon is 10 years or so, for this reason the smaller dev don't fit into my timescales. thoughts?
    Hi Emma

I totally agree with you that bigger developments are more attractive with more amenities and feel more expensive and upscale. If only they are not so expensive, I really like the AALTO and Seafront On Meyer. Have you also checked out Riveredge at Tanjong Rhu? Also nice location. I find Suites@Amber good enough to consider because it is very near to the underpass to East Coast Park! If Silversea is priced at $1,700psf, this one has good potential too because its views should not be too bad! I think expats will like it

Hi Emma

I totally agree with you that bigger developments are more attractive with more amenities and feel more expensive and upscale. If only they are not so expensive, I really like the AALTO and Seafront On Meyer. Have you also checked out Riveredge at Tanjong Rhu? Also nice location. I find Suites@Amber good enough to consider because it is very near to the underpass to East Coast Park! If Silversea is priced at $1,700psf, this one has good potential too because its views should not be too bad! I think expats will like it
    Hi Reuters

I am only interested in freehold developments - so that rules out riveredge (is that the near one near to dunman high school, some units face the volvo workshop??) and silversea, and the shore. and aalto and seafront on meyer are way way above my budget so might need to wait and save more money first...

if there is another big project going to be launched, freehold, in D 15 (but not Tk area), high rise somewhat like seaview, one amber and esta, i will most likely buy immediately but i think silversea and the shore are the last of the big projects in that area and they are not even freehold.

Hi Emma

big projects will have people like Mr Sia ... whose car is 'sick' and mechanic from JB

just visited AALTO and Seafront On Meyer, very impressed by the built quality of Aalto.
    For Aalto, Look like the prices have been lowered by the developer

Hi Emma,

> The Sea View

> One Amber

> Esta

> Other properties

> Parc Seabreeze

> Suites@Amber
    if i'm not wrong, one amber, esta and suites@amber aren't located within the 1km radius. The Sea View is on the fringe so I guess you have to check with the school about that.

Parc Seabreeze, and its neighbour - Coralis, is safely within the 1km mark. Of course, there are plenty of other developments to choose from and am just responding to the list of recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    just visited AALTO and Seafront On Meyer, very impressed by the built quality of Aalto.
    For Aalto, Look like the prices have been lowered by the developer
    really? what's the psf? but the units there are quite huge.

hyenergix,

Last quarter of 2009 many pple were also rushing in at new condo launches, but prices also didnt peak then. In fact, from end of 2009 till now, I think prices rose quite a lot already. So I think it's hard to predict now. Really a gamble, thats why must take calculated risks.
    In 2009, there was a massive economic recovery and a pent-up demand for condos. This is helped by the low interest rates. Agents had a lot of stories like IRs, F1 etc to lure buyers. We should be quite near the peak of the property cycle for condos. Buy to rent out or for capital gain is quite risky now.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    In 2009, there was a massive economic recovery and a pent-up demand for condos. This is helped by the low interest rates. Agents had a lot of stories like IRs, F1 etc to lure buyers. We should be quite near the peak of the property cycle for condos. Buy to rent out or for capital gain is quite risky now.
    but i feel prices will be maintained at current levels for quite some time and then rise again in the next cycle from this point again. I actually don't foresee prices coming down from this point in the market as the market is comprising mostly of genuine buyers and sellers now. the prices are high now but i think there will still be good capital gain in the mid term if you choose your purchases carefully.

Good gem is more difficult to find. Anyone attended the auction by knight frank?

but i feel prices will be maintained at current levels for quite some time and then rise again in the next cycle from this point again. I actually don't foresee prices coming down from this point in the market as the market is comprising mostly of genuine buyers and sellers now. the prices are high now but i think there will still be good capital gain in the mid term if you choose your purchases carefully.
    Totally agree with Emma on this point. These days, the steps to getting a home loan approval are so stringent and the situation here is different from that type of bubble that happened with US home foreclosures. If the price falls, it may mean that Singapore's economy fundamentals are problematic leading to potential crisis. But when that happens, you will be affected whether you have bought a condo or not.