Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: Which TK devt is still considered a value-buy now?

  1. #1
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default Which TK devt is still considered a value-buy now?

    Hi, I need some advice. I'm looking to get a unit in TK lor N area as I wish for my boy to study in Tao nan pri. However, it seems most of the TK units around there seem to be asking for very steep prices, as compared to caveats lodged recently.

    If I pay 1.1m for a small 3-bedder (@ probably 900psf) in this current market, do you think there will still be any upside to it? What devt would you recommend which is nice to stay, and yet still priced within reasonable value?

    My instincts tell me prices may drop a little next yr, but there are mkt sentiments which predict prices to continue to head north. Should I get it now, or wait till mid of 2011? Any experts here, pls shed some light?

  2. #2
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by penguin
    Hi, I need some advice. I'm looking to get a unit in TK lor N area as I wish for my boy to study in Tao nan pri. However, it seems most of the TK units around there seem to be asking for very steep prices, as compared to caveats lodged recently.

    If I pay 1.1m for a small 3-bedder (@ probably 900psf) in this current market, do you think there will still be any upside to it? What devt would you recommend which is nice to stay, and yet still priced within reasonable value?

    My instincts tell me prices may drop a little next yr, but there are mkt sentiments which predict prices to continue to head north. Should I get it now, or wait till mid of 2011? Any experts here, pls shed some light?
    Hi,
    'The Lucent' and 'The Ambrosia' are very nice development along Lor N, within 1km from Tao Nan and also adjacent to the Park Connector.
    The Ambrosia should be TOPing very soon and The Lucent should TOP mid next year.
    The Lucent has more unit size ranges (from 2bedder to 5 bedder) but I think the Ambrosia has only 3 bedder and above and priced higher.
    Both are developed by 'Roxy Land'.
    Price should range between $950 to $1100 PSF now.
    Have you considered renting instead of buying?

  3. #3
    Junior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    If you're buying solely for Tao Nan - then "value creation" is not a primary objective. In short, just buy the cheapest unit. Lots of MM there at very affordable absolute quantum. Please note Tao Nan has no affiliation - so in my mind, not worth the trouble. To each his own.

  4. #4
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    rambo,

    Yes, The Lucent did catch my eye, but its fully sold out and the resale is flipping at a much higher psf than last caveat lodged. So I do not think it's worth it, or there will be any more upside to this devt, thought its nice. I am looking at resale units about 5yrs old, but many are so small (less than 20 units) that worries me, as I stayed in one before and didnt like how the devt was run by own residents.

    I won't rent as I never liked the idea of renting without a roof over my head. Never know how the property market will go, plus this is for own stay, so no point taking this gamble, am I right? Unless you have very strong instincts the market will drop by at least 20-30% after 1-2yrs. But no one can predict so far ahead.

  5. #5
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Wildfalcon,

    Seems you dont have a very good impression of Tao Nan eh? But its a good school, esp the way the school is run by this current principal.
    Well, since we are going to move back to the east (stayed there before and liked it), plus we need to get a good school for our boy, so thats why we narrowed down the search to TK Lor N area. Don't like the St patricks area.
    And how to squeeze one family into a MM? haha...i don't think I can survive for long. I am already down sizing from 1400+sqft house to 1200+ sqft. But seems like many devts in TK have 1000-1100+sqft 3 bedders, which I thought seemed quite pathetically small.

  6. #6
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Penguin,

    Have you read that the 2nd top PSLE student this year was from Tao Nan? That school is definitely one of the top primary schools in Singapore with good reputation. Unless you are going for affiliations with the fear that your boy needs that relationship later to get into a good secondary school (then go for ACS schools), Tao Nan will be a good choice around the East side.

    I read your comments and feel that you need to distinguish your priority amongst your needs. If it is all about your son, then you should just get the most affordable/cheapest unit available that allows you to continue to live your lifestyle. Why not get a HDB here? The HDBs in Marine Parade and Marine Terrace are all good units. Why not buy a typical 5-room resale flat and renovate it?

    If investment is your priority, there is no question where the main block of the potential is - go for anything around the block defined at 4 corners by Parc Seabreeze (SE), Katong Mall (NE), Shore Residences (NW) and Seaview (SW). The recent collective sale of Paramount Hotel in that block indicates a possibility of that area appreciating to $2,000psf if it is a freehold property, in the near future. Unless they demolish Parkway Parade and the entire Marine Parade Central, this area is very attractive to live in because of the proximity to all the amenities, including a new cinema at Katong Mall. If the price is too steep, you can also check out Joo Chiat/Tembeling area as long as it is not way too far from the Marine Parade area, taking Katong Mall as the epi-centre.

  7. #7
    Junior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Penguin I fully understand ur situation. Trying to buy a home for the child, and at the same time as a reasonable home to live. Life is not just abt money.

    TK area, over the years, has been transformed into a collection of tiny projects with MM units. 1100 sqft 3bd is not really livable for a real family with growing kids. I'm afraid u have no choice but to look at better and bigger projects. Those will cost more right now. However if u can afford, I think since u will be there for 10 yrs, it's still worthwhile. It's a home after all. They keyword is affordability though. Dun stretch too much. But dun be over conservative. U r still young. Consider your future earnings.

  8. #8
    Senior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    It's good to give the best to the children. But staying next to a good school does not guarantee a place in the school. I know someone who bought Duchess which is in front of Tao nan when their child is only 3 years old. One will still have to ballot unless they have siblings, old boys or old girls. There are always weaker students in good schools. These weaker students who do not do well in their PSLE will be worst off if there is no affiliation to any secondary school. Even some with affiliation to secondary school but do not meet the minimum score will also be caught. Bottom line, know the children capacity and make the best choice for them.

  9. #9
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It's good to give the best to the children. But staying next to a good school does not guarantee a place in the school. I know someone who bought Duchess which is in front of Tao nan when their child is only 3 years old. One will still have to ballot unless they have siblings, old boys or old girls. There are always weaker students in good schools. These weaker students who do not do well in their PSLE will be worst off if there is no affiliation to any secondary school. Even some with affiliation to secondary school but do not meet the minimum score will also be caught. Bottom line, know the children capacity and make the best choice for them.
    It is true that staying next to a good school does not guarantee a place in that school, but as parents, we will always want to maximize the chances for our children. The chances of them doing better in studies in good schools are higher. If you feel that your son/daughter is at the bottom of his cohort, I will be surprised if you prefer to put him in a lousy school to 'keep him in his place', rather than try to put him in an environment for him to catch up with others. I believe that good schools are successful because they have good teaching/learning environments and can offer better chances of our children to get good grades. This might sound selfish but I prefer to have the last laugh when my son aces in a good school than to ace as a dark horse in an average or below average school. Not only do I want him in a good primary school, I will move if it helps him get into a better secondary school later on, and will move again if this helps him get into a good jc.

  10. #10
    Senior

    User Info Menu

    Default

    I do not mean lousy schools. You should look for good schools from primary to college. The affiliation does help students to progress to the next level as they are required less points as compared to those who have no affiliation. I agree that good school offer better chances but it depends on the raw material, ie. child's capacity. Some very good schools will indirectly ask parents to get tutors' they could not keep up with the class. At the end of the day, both the parents and the child will be stressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    It is true that staying next to a good school does not guarantee a place in that school, but as parents, we will always want to maximize the chances for our children. The chances of them doing better in studies in good schools are higher. If you feel that your son/daughter is at the bottom of his cohort, I will be surprised if you prefer to put him in a lousy school to 'keep him in his place', rather than try to put him in an environment for him to catch up with others. I believe that good schools are successful because they have good teaching/learning environments and can offer better chances of our children to get good grades. This might sound selfish but I prefer to have the last laugh when my son aces in a good school than to ace as a dark horse in an average or below average school. Not only do I want him in a good primary school, I will move if it helps him get into a better secondary school later on, and will move again if this helps him get into a good jc.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •