Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Shoebox' apartments: Know what you're buying

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default 'Shoebox' apartments: Know what you're buying

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...t-youre-buying

'Shoebox' apartments: Know what you're buying

by Ku Swee Yong

05:55 AM Nov 26, 2010

In the early 1990s, I lived in a bedsit - a bedroom, sitting room and kitchen rolled into one. About 120 sq ft worth of space containing just seven items: A single bed, a two-door wardrobe, a table measuring 1m by 0.5m, a chair, an electric hob with two hotplates, a three-foot tall refrigerator and a sink with some counter-top space that supported the cooker hob. Bathrooms and toilets were in the common area.

As a poor student struggling with a British pound almost three times the Singapore dollar at the time, that was the best I could afford. I could also save some money by walking to college, even in the wet, slushy and grey winter days.

This little hole exists in the prime postal district of SW7 London: South Kensington and Knightsbridge. The street address: Emperor's Gate, off Cromwell Road. A mini-slum within a prestigious neighbourhood of luxury Victorian-era homes.

Having lived in a tiny space for about nine months during my first year in London, I am curious about the recent fascination with "Mickey Mouse" or "shoebox" apartments in Singapore.

The low price quantum, ie affordability, is often quoted as a reason for the strong take-up of such apartments. In my view, that is only half correct because investors seem to be willing to bear with much-higher-than average price-per-sq-ft for these apartments.

I believe that the other half of the equation is this: Investors simply do not know what they are buying into.

Let's take an analogy from the car market. We do not see strong take-up rates for Chery QQs and Perodua Kancils despite the very low entry price of about $48,000 per car. In fact, I see many more Toyota Corolla Altis, at $85,000 each, on the roads.

Why is the easy affordability of a Chery QQ not creating a flood of demand for such cars? The reason: Buyers can test-drive the cars, sit inside an actual car, drive it around and feel the comfort and the space. Buyers are not sitting in mock-up cars that have doors removed to create a sense of space, nor full-length mirrors on the insides to make the interiors look bigger.

"Shoebox" apartments are selling well because few investors know what these units look like physically. Few of us have friends and relatives who live in such units. Fewer have lived in apartments of less than 500 sq ft.

Of the roughly 2,800 apartments below 500 sq ft that were sold by developers in the last 10 years, only about 1,000 have been completed, available for us to physically experience the size and space.

About 50 per cent of these developers' units were purchased by investors with HDB addresses - not surprising considering the prices of these units are usually lower than prices of five-room HDB flats.

Showflats of residential projects that have a mix of large and small units do not feature the shoebox units as these generally sell out fastest, at the highest price-psf levels and to investors who have relatively little experience with apartments of such sizes.

Residential projects consisting solely of shoebox units may be launched with simple sales galleries, that is, without mock-up apartment units or show units. Investors buy off-the-plan simply by considering the materials used, drawings and again, the low absolute dollar value of the units.

However, there are a handful of projects that do feature full-sized shoebox units in the showflats. These show units, while true to the floor plans in terms of size, have interior designs and modifications that make them appear larger than they should be, for example, with the use of mirror walls.

As investors walk through with responsible sales agents, they might hear one or more of the following:

- The actual unit will not have such a high ceiling as you see here,

- This living room has been extended into the balcony,

- The actual unit will come with a solid wall between living room and bedroom instead of this glass wall that you see here,

- There should be a side wall for the apartment here (pointing to the floor with a line that demarcates the perimeter of the actual unit),

- Although not shown here, there will be a bifold door in this location in the actual unit etc.

I am concerned that many have recently invested in a relatively new product that may not find widespread acceptance when completed.

Fewer than 1,000 shoebox units were sold by developers from 2001 to 2008, but in the last 24 months, 2,000 shoebox units were sold.

When they are completed next year and beyond, market acceptance of this category of residential product will be tested in terms of tenant quality and profile, rental yields, maintenance of the estate, as well as returns on investments, among others.

The writer is the founder of real estate agency International Property Advisor (IPA), which provides services to high-net-worth individuals.

Another guy flogging a dead horse topic juz coz he missed the MM boat?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Haha, things changed, eric has dine mm too right? MM are motorcycles, 2 bedders are convertibles, 3 bedders are saloon cars (mass market) or sports utility vehicles, suv,s (luxury market). guess what are mpvs and buses?

Motorcycle u have a wide price range and performance. Some have good resale while some dont. Choose wisely.

Wow! Ouch for the MM buyers lei

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...t-youre-buying

'Shoebox' apartments: Know what you're buying

by Ku Swee Yong

05:55 AM Nov 26, 2010

In the early 1990s, I lived in a bedsit - a bedroom, sitting room and kitchen rolled into one. About 120 sq ft worth of space containing just seven items: A single bed, a two-door wardrobe, a table measuring 1m by 0.5m, a chair, an electric hob with two hotplates, a three-foot tall refrigerator and a sink with some counter-top space that supported the cooker hob. Bathrooms and toilets were in the common area.

As a poor student struggling with a British pound almost three times the Singapore dollar at the time, that was the best I could afford. I could also save some money by walking to college, even in the wet, slushy and grey winter days.

This little hole exists in the prime postal district of SW7 London: South Kensington and Knightsbridge. The street address: Emperor's Gate, off Cromwell Road. A mini-slum within a prestigious neighbourhood of luxury Victorian-era homes.

Having lived in a tiny space for about nine months during my first year in London, I am curious about the recent fascination with "Mickey Mouse" or "shoebox" apartments in Singapore.

The low price quantum, ie affordability, is often quoted as a reason for the strong take-up of such apartments. In my view, that is only half correct because investors seem to be willing to bear with much-higher-than average price-per-sq-ft for these apartments.

I believe that the other half of the equation is this: Investors simply do not know what they are buying into.

Let's take an analogy from the car market. We do not see strong take-up rates for Chery QQs and Perodua Kancils despite the very low entry price of about $48,000 per car. In fact, I see many more Toyota Corolla Altis, at $85,000 each, on the roads.

Why is the easy affordability of a Chery QQ not creating a flood of demand for such cars? The reason: Buyers can test-drive the cars, sit inside an actual car, drive it around and feel the comfort and the space. Buyers are not sitting in mock-up cars that have doors removed to create a sense of space, nor full-length mirrors on the insides to make the interiors look bigger.

"Shoebox" apartments are selling well because few investors know what these units look like physically. Few of us have friends and relatives who live in such units. Fewer have lived in apartments of less than 500 sq ft.

Of the roughly 2,800 apartments below 500 sq ft that were sold by developers in the last 10 years, only about 1,000 have been completed, available for us to physically experience the size and space.

About 50 per cent of these developers' units were purchased by investors with HDB addresses - not surprising considering the prices of these units are usually lower than prices of five-room HDB flats.

Showflats of residential projects that have a mix of large and small units do not feature the shoebox units as these generally sell out fastest, at the highest price-psf levels and to investors who have relatively little experience with apartments of such sizes.

Residential projects consisting solely of shoebox units may be launched with simple sales galleries, that is, without mock-up apartment units or show units. Investors buy off-the-plan simply by considering the materials used, drawings and again, the low absolute dollar value of the units.

However, there are a handful of projects that do feature full-sized shoebox units in the showflats. These show units, while true to the floor plans in terms of size, have interior designs and modifications that make them appear larger than they should be, for example, with the use of mirror walls.

As investors walk through with responsible sales agents, they might hear one or more of the following:

- The actual unit will not have such a high ceiling as you see here,

- This living room has been extended into the balcony,

- The actual unit will come with a solid wall between living room and bedroom instead of this glass wall that you see here,

- There should be a side wall for the apartment here (pointing to the floor with a line that demarcates the perimeter of the actual unit),

- Although not shown here, there will be a bifold door in this location in the actual unit etc.

I am concerned that many have recently invested in a relatively new product that may not find widespread acceptance when completed.

Fewer than 1,000 shoebox units were sold by developers from 2001 to 2008, but in the last 24 months, 2,000 shoebox units were sold.

When they are completed next year and beyond, market acceptance of this category of residential product will be tested in terms of tenant quality and profile, rental yields, maintenance of the estate, as well as returns on investments, among others.

The writer is the founder of real estate agency International Property Advisor (IPA), which provides services to high-net-worth individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    The writer is the founder of real estate agency International Property Advisor (IPA), which provides services to high-net-worth individuals

His clients don't really go for MMs... and most likely he can afford MMs if he wants to buy. Many MMs have recently TOPed, so the rental is still quite good at the moment.

I think this writer's analogy is flawed.

First of all, it all depends on the project these MMs are launched in. If they are offered in high-end condos in District 9, 10, 11, 15, it is more accurate to compare them to Audi offering the A1, Mercedes with the A class and BMW with the 1-series, instead of comparing them with a Chery. If they are offered in projects that are part of the mass-market, then they should be compared to a Toyota Yaris because these are still condos afterall, and their build quality must still be quite good, otherwise people will rather buy a HDB.

The MMs in various projects differ greatly in terms of build quality, condo amenities, location, design, layout and view. I have seen apartments claiming to be 570sqft with ridiculous layout (eg includes a bomb shelter, huge balcony) , and 517sqft ones with very good layout. The bonus is finding a good MM in a high-end project at a reasonable/affordable price, preferably with some view and near the MRT. All these factors make or break the project and the living size of the unit can be compromised a bit.

I will compare this with hotels, rather than the car analogy this writer gave. Will you stay in a single-room hotel in Marina Sands, or will you prefer a suite in a suburb (eg, Serangoon) hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    I think this writer's analogy is flawed.

First of all, it all depends on the project these MMs are launched in. If they are offered in high-end condos in District 9, 10, 11, 15, it is more accurate to compare them to Audi offering the A1, Mercedes with the A class and BMW with the 1-series, instead of comparing them with a Chery. If they are offered in projects that are part of the mass-market, then they should be compared to a Toyota Yaris because these are still condos afterall, and their build quality must still be quite good, otherwise people will rather buy a HDB.

The MMs in various projects differ greatly in terms of build quality, condo amenities, location, design, layout and view. I have seen apartments claiming to be 570sqft with ridiculous layout (eg includes a bomb shelter, huge balcony) , and 517sqft ones with very good layout. The bonus is finding a good MM in a high-end project at a reasonable/affordable price, preferably with some view and near the MRT. All these factors make or break the project and the living size of the unit can be compromised a bit.

I will compare this with hotels, rather than the car analogy this writer gave. Will you stay in a single-room hotel in Marina Sands, or will you prefer a suite in a suburb (eg, Serangoon) hotel?
    your point is : location, location, location. the rest is immaterial irregardless of layout, build quality.

This becomes more apparent in times of downturn.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    your point is : location, location, location. the rest is immaterial irregardless of layout, build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    This becomes more apparent in times of downturn.
    The holding power of the buyers will be revealed. If poor holding power like taxi driver and hdb tai tai's, it could spell doom.

Boils down to personal choice, really. For me, I will never buy a MM unit. My mei meis will find it too restrictive to move about and the bonking noises will be way too audible

Waiting for such opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    The holding power of the buyers will be revealed. If poor holding power like taxi driver and hdb tai tai's, it could spell doom.

I visited quite a number of MM units in HK, quite a norm there.
    But I simply find them not liveable.
    In HK, the bigger units fetch a much higher psf price than the MM units, the opposite here.
    I remember a few years back, bigger units had a higher psf price

As the price has gone up so much in the last few years. Max of $1mil units are more affordable for most people in Singapore. I still do not understand why people willing to pay so much in $psf for a MM unit which is next to a normal unit. The difference in quantum between the two can be just a difference of $450k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I visited quite a number of MM units in HK, quite a norm there.
    But I simply find them not liveable.
    In HK, the bigger units fetch a much higher psf price than the MM units, the opposite here.
    I remember a few years back, bigger units had a higher psf price

another article by him:

What defines a luxury property?

on September 3, 2010

In attempting to describe the top category of residential real estate in Singapore, we often find ourselves struggling with adjectives. Before the Urban Redevelopment Authority came up with the term CCR (Core Central Region), we used to say “9, 10 and 11″ in reference to the prime residential postal codes. However, since the frenzy of the 2007 property boom, new terms have cropped up, such as super prime, super luxury, uber luxe, ultra luxury, etc.
    Amid the slew of superlatives, Singapore lacks a clear definition of what a luxury property is, one that can be used as a benchmark by which others are measured.
    What defines a luxury property?
    Many characteristics can, in combination, define a luxury home. These would include location, price, size, furnishings, neighbouring homes, surrounding amenities, interior furnishings, layout, security, etc.
    The top characteristic, in my opinion, would be location. If we are asked to name the Beverly Hills or the Knightsbridge of Singapore, we might think of Nassim Road, Ardmore Park, Holland Road, Paterson Road, Grange Road and Orchard Road, among others. If the same question is asked of the foreign investors here, Sentosa Cove, Marina Bay and Orchard Road might feature more prominently.
    And within a prestigious neighbourhood, there are often streets that provide a distinction between those who have clearly arrived and those who are merely on their way.
    A second characteristic is price or price per square foot of real estate. Knightsbridge, Sloane Street and Belgrave Square in London have been home to Britain’s most expensive residential real estate for the last 200 years and they will continue to lead because the richest people in the world own property there.
    According to The Times of London, 14 out of the top 200 most expensive streets in Britain are in Knightsbridge. The world’s most expensive apartment is a penthouse at One Hyde Park, sold for £100 million or over £4,000 psf. That’s over $12,000 psf in early 2007, when the exchange rate was more than £1 = $3.
    Singapore’s most expensive homes are in the Orchard Road area. They have been for the past three decades and I believe they will remain so for the next century. Any location elsewhere in Singapore trying to rival Orchard Road will merely serve to push up Orchard Road’s premium.
    Economist and real estate investor Alex Shlaen, in the August 2009 issue of Property Report magazine, listed the Top Ten luxurious property projects in Singapore. Except for Sentosa Cove’s villas taken as a whole, and The Sail at Marina Bay, the other eight were condominiums in Orchard Road area.
    Beyond location, Mr Shlaen’s key considerations were the condominiums’ furnishings and interiors and facilities. I think interiors and facilities are important factors but space and the immediate environment around a home rank higher on my list.
    At the rate Singapore is developing, we are becoming more congested and might soon end up like Hong Kong or Tokyo. A very well decorated and furnished home, in the middle of a congested street where building-to-building distances are at a minimum, cannot be considered a luxury home.
    Consider Sentosa Cove, where rows of detached houses stand side-by-side at 2m apart where the eaves of the roofs extend and 4m apart between the houses’ main structures. In most cases, this 4m space is separated by a perimeter wall. Compared to the luxurious space so evident in Victoria Peak in Hong Kong or even Kenny Hills in Kuala Lumpur, the streetscape in Sentosa Cove appears cluttered.
    The sense of space gives the home a premium-space outside and space inside. Therefore, shoebox-sized apartments of 300-500 sq ft, even if built in a prime location, are not considered luxury homes.
    The low price quantum for these units comes with a premium in terms of relatively higher dollar per sq ft prices, which may or may not be recoverable through higher unit rental rates and limited capital appreciation.
    No matter where they are located – in New York’s Tribeca, London’s Knightsbridge, Hong Kong’s Victoria Peak or Singapore’s Orchard Road, these “prime” shoebox units are at best considered serviced apartments or hotel rooms, not luxury homes. Two- or three-bedroom apartments under 1,000 sq ft also fall into this category.
    To sum up, the three most important characteristics of a luxury property are, in my view, location, price (quantum as well as unit rate) and space (both inside and outside) – all taken together.
    So, for luxury properties, what are the three top street names in Singapore? My votes go to Chatsworth Road, Nassim Road and Bishopsgate. Think tree-lined boulevards, generous space between houses and blocks of condominiums, tranquility and, despite a high percentage of car ownership in these streets, traffic density is low. And, oh yes, crickets chirping, too.
    By Ku Swee Yong, founder of real estate agency International Property Advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Boils down to personal choice, really. For me, I will never buy a MM unit. My mei meis will find it too restrictive to move about and the bonking noises will be way too audible
    I agree this comes down to personal choice.

I will prefer driving a MINI cooper to a Hyundai Tucson even if the MINI costs more and is much smaller.

Okt ..... Ur mei mei operate from room and hotel right?
    Mostly mm size also right?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    As the price has gone up so much in the last few years. Max of $1mil units are more affordable for most people in Singapore. I still do not understand why people willing to pay so much in $psf for a MM unit which is next to a normal unit. The difference in quantum between the two can be just a difference of $450k.
    That is still a lot of money bro.

Default Holding Power

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    I own an MM at Parc Imperial. I have virtually fully paid up the unit. So not too worry about rental will come down or interest rate will go up.
    Most of other owners in that project have good holding power as well: some are 60+ year old HDB ladies who simply don't trust the banks anymore. I guess this could be their only unit (and thus fully paid as well). Some are young couples working for Goverment (school teachers). I guess the next financial crisis will not affect them much.
    However, there are some property agents owning multiple units there. I guess they are starting to "fire sell" now.

Give me another 450K, I wouldn't own MM. But that will take me a couple of years. What can I do with my 600K cash in the mean time if I don't buy MM? I almost bought a 3 bedder at Woodland, but the rental yield is the same. I prefer the current tanet who is a single oversea professional. I might end up renting to 3 singles if I've bought 3 bedder in Woodlands.

For high end, in particular those investment property, you will see much higher leaverage. We will see which drops more when the next financial crisis comes (in Year 2013?)

Thanks,
    Richard

Rich wang, can tell u r smart, steady bomb pi pi. Good pointers, if only u r a diamond wang lau wu and i am a 18 yr old virgin. Haha my rich wang wang.

I agree this comes down to personal choice.

I will prefer driving a MINI cooper to a Hyundai Tucson even if the MINI costs more and is much smaller.
    in a couple of years you get married and have kids ..

the Cooper will be too small ... then what ?

there will be a lot of Cooper owners like you now .. by which time .. most will plan to switch to a bigger car ... and then the demand for BIG car will start ...

As much as we joke about MMs. They actually make good investment sense;

1) The are more affordable. I rather buy 2 or 3 small units than a large one. Can always sell 1 or 2 and still keep a 3rd. In a way, it's more liquid than a large unit

2) Rental yield generally better, despite higher per sq foot price

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    in a couple of years you get married and have kids ..

the Cooper will be too small ... then what ?

there will be a lot of Cooper owners like you now .. by which time .. most will plan to switch to a bigger car ... and then the demand for BIG car will start ...
    I will keep my cooper, and ask my wife to buy another cooper! Otherwise, I will wait till i can afford the next chic and big car like a BMW 5 series.

I will keep my cooper, and ask my wife to buy another cooper! Otherwise, I will wait till i can afford the next chic and big car like a BMW 5 series.
    Demographically, there are more and more unmarried people around, especially the highly educated ones.... (garment worried)

There will always be demand for Minis, er MMs....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Demographically, there are more and more unmarried people around, especially the highly educated ones.... (garment worried)

There will always be demand for Minis, er MMs....
    with so much wealth made this couple of yrs ..
    more and more new rich are buying MM to house their china bird

MM = Mistress mansion ?

bey sian meh?

1,2,3 shake your ass and dance with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRWcc...eature=related

If cannot rent out, then I will stay in the MM myself. Small and easy to maintain.

just make sure ur MM is bigger den a HDB master bedroom

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    just make sure ur MM is bigger den a HDB master bedroom
    Actually some MMs are just studios and look reasonably large enough for a single person to live in. Other MMs (like Lofts@Nathan) feel ridiculous as they chop up the small space to partition out a bedroom, bath, kitchen, living room and even a study room. They look like toy houses with the kitchen nothing more than just a tony cabinet, fridge in the toilet , study room right at the door way into the apartment, and still trying to have a balcony ledge!

Actually some MMs are just studios and look reasonably large enough for a single person to live in. Other MMs (like Lofts@Nathan) feel ridiculous as they chop up the small space to partition out a bedroom, bath, kitchen, living room and even a study room. They look like toy houses with the kitchen nothing more than just a tony cabinet, fridge in the toilet , study room right at the door way into the apartment, and still trying to have a balcony ledge!
    yeah, look at the flrplan for leicester suites....exactly fit into ur description with washing m/c at the balcony!

be careful when buying MM....cannot rent out means dead