Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEX - so big but why walk-ways so small?

hiyo all

User Info Menu

Default NEX - so big but why walk-ways so small?

I don't know about you guys but my 2 visits to NEX were not particularly pleasant. While the number and variety of stores were pretty interesting, I find the shopping experience not very pleasant becos of the narrow walk-ways. The irony is that the whole place is so big I'm sure the developer could have provided bigger walk-ways. I'm not an expert but my layman eyes tell me a little design change to widen the walk-ways is achievable.
    I don't think it's due to the crowd as the number of shoppers were just normal.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    I don't know about you guys but my 2 visits to NEX were not particularly pleasant. While the number and variety of stores were pretty interesting, I find the shopping experience not very pleasant becos of the narrow walk-ways. The irony is that the whole place is so big I'm sure the developer could have provided bigger walk-ways. I'm not an expert but my layman eyes tell me a little design change to widen the walk-ways is achievable.
    I don't think it's due to the crowd as the number of shoppers were just normal.
    Simple. Walkways does not provide rental income compared to shop spaces.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KC76
    Simple. Walkways does not provide rental income compared to shop spaces.
    Simple. widen the walkway then install "ERP" gantry

Bricks & Mortar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scsc
    Simple. widen the walkway then install "ERP" gantry
    Suggest never park at NEX. If you do, before you go shopping, the frustration of getting into the carpark and finding a lot will put you off totally. Worst still, replies like this doesn't make sense at all. Developer really squeeze all space to rental$. If you walk from the carpark along those narrow walkways passed those toilets, almost at max 1 person each way. If you have a WWE wrestlet, maybe cannot even fit the walkway. If there is a fire or emergency, worry there may be a stampede along the narrow walkway from the carpark to the shopping floors.

1 word....GREED

ST Forum

Home > ST Forum > Story

Dec 8, 2010

Steps to ease parking woes at new mall

WE REFER to the report regarding the parking issue at Nex mall ('Motorists see red at Nex carpark'; Nov 30). We apologise for the inconvenience caused to the public in general and neighbouring residents in particular.
    The mall opened in the midst of the school holidays and the start of Christmas shopping. That, and the novelty of the mall, attracted a huge volume of shoppers and vehicular traffic. The situation was further compounded by a large volume of commercial vehicular traffic participating in the first-time stocking-up of more than 350 shops. These factors put pressure on the carpark and loading dock, both not designed to cope with abnormally high traffic.
    We wish to assure residents that the present situation is temporary and we expect normalcy after the Chinese New Year festive season.
    Meanwhile, we are introducing a number of measures to ease vehicular traffic, and we foresee improvements in the days to come.

First, Nex has doubled the number of auxiliary police personnel, and deployed them to manage and direct the flow of traffic within the carpark, as well as in areas surrounding the mall.

Second, we have also coordinated mall tenants to reschedule their deliveries so that these do not add to the congestion.

Third, through our marketing communications, we are encouraging shoppers, during this period, to use public transport. Both the Circle and North-East MRT lines are right below the mall, and the bus interchange is adjacent.
    Michael Leong
    Managing Director
    Guthrie Consultancy Services
    Mall Manager of Nex

hiyo all

User Info Menu

Developer has short term thinking.
    Such narrow passages pose safety hazards. As it is now, two groups of people moving normally in different different directions makes for a slow and uncomfortable squeeze.
    Imagine in an emergency, it's going to be hell I would avoid the place during the coming festive seasons.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Senior

User Info Menu

Want a national disaster? All you need is someone to shout "fire" along the narrow walkways on a weekend....then something like this will happen:
    http://www.asiaone.com/static/multim.../101123_cambo/

Bricks & Mortar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Want a national disaster? All you need is someone to shout "fire" along the narrow walkways on a weekend....then something like this will happen:
    http://www.asiaone.com/static/multim.../101123_cambo/
    incident happened on monday, i happened to be in Phnom Penh on wed. Whole country was grieving, some of my local friends there said that they admire Singapore Government way of organising our NDP, very good crowd control....

hmm..am thinking building design BCA just have guidelines on minimun side of walkway, not sure if they have a factor on size of crowd, etc..., dun think there is a factor for stampede..., hope we never suffer the same fate as our neighbour

Bricks & Mortar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidic.straw
    Developer has short term thinking.
    Such narrow passages pose safety hazards. As it is now, two groups of people moving normally in different different directions makes for a slow and uncomfortable squeeze.
    Imagine in an emergency, it's going to be hell I would avoid the place during the coming festive seasons.
    http://sgforums.com/forums/8/topics/417459?page=1

"Jurong Point Shopping Centre VS Nex Serangoon

Jurong Point :
    Opened in 1995
    750,000 Square Feet
    1467 Parking lots
    5 Anchor Tenants
    3 Levels
    450++ Retail shops
    The Centris Condo above

Nearest MRT: Boon Lay MRT Station
    Traffic: More than 3,000,000 visitors a month

Nex Serangoon
    Opened in 2010
    600,000 Square Feet
    450 Parking Lots
    8 Anchor Tenants
    6 Levels
    350++ Retail Stores

Nearest MRT: Serangoon MRT Station
    Traffic: Right now unknown

Vivo City
    Opened in 2006
    1,500,000 Square Feet
    2179 Parking Lots
    8 Anchor Tenants
    335 Retail Shops

Nearest MRT: Harbourfront MRT Station
    Traffic: Unknown
    For your info, Jurong Point is Singapore's largest shopping mall in terms of number of tenants, compared to 335 in VivoCity.

Jurong Point is split into 2 called "JP1" &"JP2". JP1 is the old wing while JP2 is the newly extended new wing with bus interchange and condo above.
    -----

What i think about Nex as compared to Jurong Point.

Nex escalator is built at the side, not accessible for those who want to go other sides. Normally escalators are built in the middle which you can go both sides (left & right), but Nex is on the right. Those who wanna go left, need to route a big way to go other sides. Jurong Point has escalators in the middle.

Nex walkway is damm narrow. A few people walked slowly infront, you'll sure to slow down. Somemore there's pushcarts in the middle of the way.
    For example outside Fairprice Xtra, the space outside is damm SMALL. People coming out will bang with people going in and somemore there's small shops JUST outside Fairprice.
    Jurong Point has very wide walkway. The traffic at Jurong Point is always high even during weekdays. Jurong Point is very spacious.
    -------

I won't go back Nex again. I still prefer Jurong Point, it's a SUPER BIG MALL with more than 500 shops. A all-in-one mall, condo above, MRT right beside, Bus interchange below. JP has a wide space and traffic is always high.

Edited by i_luv_erky 10 Dec `10, 12:27PM "

东方

User Info Menu

Shopping malls going MM too squeezing in as much shop space as possible.

Bricks & Mortar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Shopping malls going MM too squeezing in as much shop space as possible.
    2010 must be the Year of the MM

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast