Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2nd hand cars enjoy brisk sales

Quote Originally Posted by HP65
    If you can live with a strict 2 seater, I suggest getting a COE Porsche Boxster. Fun, easy to maintain and great resale value. There are lots of suckers out the for a Porky (me included). Once you have driven 1, you will be loyal to it for life!

Its also easy to sell (thus the great resale value). My SE from Porsche was darn confident of taking in my car and its at way higher than what my own network of used car dealers can offer.
    The fried egg headlights? Errr........

Quote Originally Posted by sufri
    HP 55, which porky model are u driving now?
    how is the FC and maintenance cost like?
    i am drooling at the boxster...that is the only one i can afford...haha.
    Driving the Cayenne Tip S. As for FC, I'm still running-in. I pump about $160 each time, drive about 650km between pumps. Slightly more thirsty than the previous generation E Class E230. The E Class I pump about $130 but return the same mileage of 650km between pumps.

Haven't gone for any servicing but i think it should be the usual.

Yeah, the boxster is a fun car and relatively cheap Porsche to drive. Porsche purist scorn at it for diluting the brand but that was what I could afford 8 years ago. If not because my wife wanted a `higher' car to fetch the kids c/w the E230, I would continue to drive the boxster until its time to retire it. I'm actually now on a lookout for a 2 seater as the E230 is too sedate and inefficient for me.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    The fried egg headlights? Errr........
    I didnt think of that ya, it does looks a lot like fried egg. My other ride, the E Class, the used car dealer calls it Big-Small eye.

Quote Originally Posted by HP65
    I'm actually now on a lookout for a 2 seater as the E230 is too sedate and inefficient for me.
    Stick to your Porsche. A cayman or Boxster Spyder?

I can only drool .. they are too expensive for me. Z4 I also find very hard to buy at this type of price.

COE prices lower in most categories
    By Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid | Posted: 05 January 2011 1632 hrs
    Photos 1*of 1

Car showroom
    *Video

COE prices lower in most categories

* Twitter Messenger
    SINGAPORE: After hitting record highs in 2010, Certificates of Entitlement (COE) premiums for most categories were down in the first bidding exercise for this year.

But dealers say this could be temporary.

They expect premiums to go up again next month.

Premium for big cars was a record S$72,000 in the previous bidding exercise. The category was down by S$3001 this month, to close at S$69,000.

The open category fell marginally by S$313 to S$75 789.

The biggest drop was in category A for small cars.

COE prices closed at S$38,889, down S$7,240.

Dealers said they were not surprised by the drop in COE prices.

They said sales had been slow in the last two weeks -- something that's not very unusual during the holiday season.

In fact, dealers said they had expected the premium for category A to have gone down even lower.

Mohamed Taifoor Motoring owner Mohamed Taifoor said: "The COE for category A has gone up very high, so a car for category A can cost about S$100,000, S$103,000 or S$110,00.

"This works out to... about S$1000 a month, if you take (a) full loan. So, this deprives the buyer to buy and (as a result) the COE came down to S$38,000. In fact, we think it will come down to S$35,000".

Others agree it's temporary reprieve.

Singapore Vehicle Traders Association honorary secretary Raymond Tang said: "I sincerely think that this is a correction period, for the next round this mid-January, the announcement of the COE will be even lesser. I believe that the COE in the mid-year might go up".

With high COEs, buyers are veering towards the used car market which has helped small companies like Mohamed Taifoor Motoring.

Some customers such as 43-year-old Ismail Kasmani are also saving by giving up driving two cars.

"I sold the two cars for the advantage of the second hand car, which is presumably more affordable," he said.

Major players like Tan Chong Motor Sales said it is also focussing more on commercial vehicles, which now make up almost 60 per cent of sales.

Tan Chong Motor Sales' Sales & Marketing general manager Ron Lim said: "Customer loyalty for commercial vehicles is usually stronger because once they are comfortable with the vehicle, they continue to support us.

"The other fact is that looking at our projection, the COE for cat C moving forward, is not likely to see much of fluctuations".

COE prices for motorcycles now stand at S$1,503.

That's a drop of S$48, compared to the previous bidding exercise.

Premiums for Category C or goods vehicles were the only ones that rose this time.

The category saw an increase of S$1,610 to close at S$35,111.

-CNA/wk

COE demand and supply mismatch means biz opportunity. Cat B had increased so much that it is double pricing for the same car within 2 years.

Cat B will likely hit above 100k in Dec 11 if quota remained small.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    COE demand and supply mismatch means biz opportunity. Cat B had increased so much that it is double pricing for the same car within 2 years.

Cat B will likely hit above 100k in Dec 11 if quota remained small.
    whr got double in pricing....dun exaggerate....for big cars...around 50% increase nia.....tink about 50% too for smaller cars

Got, Japanses Cars, go find Cat B car prices in 09 and compare it with 11.

Check out Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Got, Japanses Cars, go find Cat B car prices in 09 and compare it with 11.

Check out Honda's
    honda accord? i duno hw much last time leh....i only noe some german makes pricing for bigger cars

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Almost double for mid-size cars! Camry 2.4L in early 2009 is just $84k +/- (at that time COE $2k). Now going for $150k-160k woh!
    Altis in early 2009 is just $56k +/-. Now going for about $90k woh!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    whr got double in pricing....dun exaggerate....for big cars...around 50% increase nia.....tink about 50% too for smaller cars

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Almost double for mid-size cars! Camry 2.4L in early 2009 is just $84k +/- (at that time COE $2k). Now going for $150k-160k woh!
    Altis in early 2009 is just $56k +/-. Now going for about $90k woh!
    150k is listed price i tink....jus like BMW 3series listed and actual pricing difference by almost 20k.....7series worse...can give 50-70k overtrade...lol

hmmm...jap cars rose more den german makes...due to YEN....make more sense to buy german make now....totally different quality too

That is correct. Yen Up, COE Up, Jap Car Price up. But Resale value very good as it goes up too. Second hand car dealers are happy.

So more demand for New European Cars. VW etc...

So as a base line.. what is $100k profit for MM? Must got for more $300k.