Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567813182328 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 - OCR or CCR ?

the speculation game will continue to play when immigration figures continue to rise and foreigners continue to support the mkt, and we are also now witnessing prices of CCR, RCR and OCR moving upwards in tandem with the growing economy which means that private property prices have shifted to a new paradigm. $1k psf for Jurong was unheard of a short 5 years back and look at lakefront prices now. i think for the average income man on the street, an OCR spacious condo is more than sufficient, but society has to cater to the rich who want to live in places only befitting of their status. One can argue till the cows come home that living in an $900k 3 bedder in Clementi is no different from a $5 million 3 bedder in Orchard, but frankly, to the rich, that $5 million is just pocket change to them so they won't mind paying that just to live among the elites. The class divide and differential in prices is inevitable. The only reason why OCR has caught up to such a large extent is due to rich foreign buyers who had seen the possiblity of narrowing that gap between prime and suburban and they were somehow right. The other factor is of course FEO, I used to think hillvista at $1k plus psf was absurd but in today's terms, they were right to price it as such

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    another kernel of wisdom.

unless one is a speculator, what matters is your quality of life, and whether you can sleep soundly at night or not. why live in D10 while burdened to death by your mortgage payments. life is too short to live like that. if you gamble on prime properties, there are two outcomes, win or lose. if you win, you can't take away your wealth with you when you die. if you lose, you will suffer for the rest of your life. so, why make such bets. be happy with what you have, a nice ocr condo with no debt and a peaceful life. let the reckless type gamble away their lives.

i think so too, for GCB Area. Not sure why teddy die die must insist newton is the centre of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    this area certainly looks prime to me.....nvr even drive into tat area b4!

i didn't compare psf simply becoz for landed, there are many attributes to consider. the simplest of which is the condition of the house. 2 and 4 Swettenham are both old houses while the one at nassim which set a record psf is completely rebuilt and new and sits on a smaller plot of land.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Shouldn't we be talking about $PSF instead of $ quantum when we say "expensive" or "cheap"?
    (Otherwise MM units costing $800k (of 400 sqft at $2000 psf) is "cheaper in quantum" than the OCR condo at $1.3m (of 1300 sqft) !).
    So what is the real $PSF there?
    I understand that some bungalows (not even GCBs status) in Trevose area already transacted at $1800 psf of land! That is still the "real CCR"!

the rental for newton not as good as novena but prices similar. Those living in One Newton or L'Viv only has Newton Hawker centre really within short walking distance, but those living in novena area have the big malls to contend with. I personally prefer newton coz it is not too close to TTKH and CDC for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    i think so too, for GCB Area. Not sure why teddy die die must insist newton is the centre of the universe.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

But unfortunately we can only rely on $psf and age of building, whether GCB designated or not etc. This is the same for condos, otherwise there is no way to compare, even though we know very well that the facilities in the estate, the quality of landscaping, quality of materials used both inside the units and in the common areas, how well the estate has been maintained, how cramp or spacious the estate are due to design factors etc played a big factor other than location.

i didn't compare psf simply becoz for landed, there are many attributes to consider. the simplest of which is the condition of the house. 2 and 4 Swettenham are both old houses while the one at nassim which set a record psf is completely rebuilt and new and sits on a smaller plot of land.

Did I? You probably got me wrong. I think Orchard MRT station and Orchard ION is currently the centre of Singapore (not Newton)!
    Even the removal of a pedestrian crossing outside Orchard ION can become such a big hoo-ha and appearing on Newspapers front page!

You know why OCR new launch can sell at >$1200 psf? Who are buying? You think the middle-income Singaporeans affordability have increased so much for the past 5 years that from their comfortable price range of about $600 psf about 5-10 years ago has increased to $1300 psf now? Why only new launch can sell at >$1200 psf? Why older resale condo units cannot even be transacted at $1200 psf?

I have heard of many whispers from insiders and have reason to believe that these are due to speculators! When everything quiets down within next few years, let's see whether those flippers can flip these OCR condos at >$1200 psf!

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    the speculation game will continue to play when immigration figures continue to rise and foreigners continue to support the mkt, and we are also now witnessing prices of CCR, RCR and OCR moving upwards in tandem with the growing economy which means that private property prices have shifted to a new paradigm. $1k psf for Jurong was unheard of a short 5 years back and look at lakefront prices now. i think for the average income man on the street, an OCR spacious condo is more than sufficient, but society has to cater to the rich who want to live in places only befitting of their status. One can argue till the cows come home that living in an $900k 3 bedder in Clementi is no different from a $5 million 3 bedder in Orchard, but frankly, to the rich, that $5 million is just pocket change to them so they won't mind paying that just to live among the elites. The class divide and differential in prices is inevitable. The only reason why OCR has caught up to such a large extent is due to rich foreign buyers who had seen the possiblity of narrowing that gap between prime and suburban and they were somehow right. The other factor is of course FEO, I used to think hillvista at $1k plus psf was absurd but in today's terms, they were right to price it as such

Can Stalingrad and Teddybear answer the following questions?

Brands that you use
    1) What watch you wear
    2) What shoes you wear
    3) What shirt you wear
    4) what car you drive

Afterall, it is the clothes that make a man.

For example, if Stalingrad wears a AP limited edition watch but stays in Carabelle. It shows that he appreciates the finer things in life, but unfortunately has no money to stay in CCR, hence Carabelle.
    If however, Stalingrad wears a $100 Casio, it shows that he appreciates value and he truly believes that CCR has no value.
    Afterall, a $100 Casio watch tells the time more accurately than an AP watch. A Casio watch has more functions too.

On the other hand, if Teddybear wears an AP limited edition, drives a Bentley and stays in CCR, good for him, he is rich.
    If however, Teddybear wears a Casio, stay in OCR, and yet he promotes heavily CCR, he is a true believer in CCR.

of course there are other combinations, but lets hear from those two first

I like the fact that people here are opinionated. That's good and makes the forum lively, unlike the other forum at Skyscrapercity where the forummers are all gentlemen and dying a slow death.
    In fact, Stalingrad is a ""typical" Westerner in the sense that he is brash, will come to blows (and obscenities) to support his argument, but after work, can be friends after a round of drinks.
    Unlike the Chinese where disagreements at work are considered as personal attacks. No more friends after work.

You know why OCR new launch can sell at >$1200 psf? Who are buying? You think the middle-income Singaporeans affordability have increased so much for the past 5 years that from their comfortable price range of about $600 psf about 5-10 years ago has increased to $1300 psf now? Why only new launch can sell at >$1200 psf? Why older resale condo units cannot even be transacted at $1200 psf?

I have heard of many whispers from insiders and have reason to believe that these are due to speculators! When everything quiets down within next few years, let's see whether those flippers can flip these OCR condos at >$1200 psf!
    I am as confused as you. However, media reports that >80% buyers of new launches are Singaporeans. Singaporeans can be speculators too I would say. So wait for interest rates to rise to see whether they have staying power.

For the old birds, when mortgages rates were 10%, what was the gross rental yield like?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful

Brands that you use
    1) What watch you wear
    2) What shoes you wear
    3) What shirt you wear
    4) what car you drive

For example, if Stalingrad wears a AP limited edition watch but stays in Carabelle. It shows that he appreciates the finer things in life, but unfortunately has no money to stay in CCR, hence Carabelle.
    If however, Stalingrad wears a $100 Casio, it shows that he appreciates value and he truly believes that CCR has no value.
    Afterall, a $100 Casio watch tells the time more accurately than an AP watch. A Casio watch has more functions too.

On the other hand, if Teddybear wears an AP limited edition, drives a Bentley and stays in CCR, good for him, he is rich.
    If however, Teddybear wears a Casio, stay in OCR, and yet he promotes heavily CCR, he is a true believer in CCR.

I like the fact that people here are opinionated. That's good and makes the forum lively, unlike the other forum at Skyscrapercity where the forummers are all gentlemen and dying a slow death.
    In fact, Stalingrad is a ""typical" Westerner in the sense that he is brash, will come to blows (and obscenities) to support his argument, but after work, can be friends after a round of drinks.
    Unlike the Chinese where disagreements at work are considered as personal attacks. No more friends after work.
    haha, I wear a seiko, and my shirt is 10 years old. I eat an apple for lunch on the days that I eat lunch. I normally run in the gym at noon. so no lunch for me.

Why? You so curious? Ha ha ha! There are branded things that are worth it and things that are not worth it. I am particular about quality of things that are built to last and some brands are known to last without rusting (albeit more expensive by 3-5x) than others and I am very familiar with these items for used in property as once these fixture are in there, it costs a lot to remove them and reinstall again, not to mention you have to move out for a month or 2! Hence I am very particular about these fixtures, like floorings, sanitary wares, taps and showers etc.

For clothing and shoes, I don't even keep track of what brand I wear. For bags, same. I just touch them, wear them, and if feel good I buy. What LV? What Gucci? Waste of money. Such things don't need to last since can easily throw and replace (not like fixtures in property you live in). For watches, I like Casio, really cheap and good (from experience)! Talk of cars, safety, realiability, and fuel consumption is a concern, just buy reliable and crash-tested safe cars that is fuel efficient will do, don't need BMWs or Mercedes but definitely not the like of QQs or KIA or Hyundai! Toyota, Nissan or Honda is usually a safe bet for me.

Brands that you use
    1) What watch you wear
    2) What shoes you wear
    3) What shirt you wear
    4) what car you drive

I am as confused as you. However, media reports that >80% buyers of new launches are Singaporeans. Singaporeans can be speculators too I would say. So wait for interest rates to rise to see whether they have staying power.

For the old birds, when mortgages rates were 10%, what was the gross rental yield like?
    if mortgage rates 10%, inflation probably 15%!

I think teddy and I are basically the same type. I don't appreciate "finer" things in life. Neither does he. I smirk when reading that many people are willing to shell out 1.5 million to buy a lambo. Teddy probably would too. So, it is really strange why he is so enamored with branded fixtures in properties, and why he is so adamant that prime properties are better from a value-for-your-money viewpoint.

I think teddy and I are basically the same type. I don't appreciate "finer" things in life. Neither does he. I smirk when read that people shell out 1.5 million to buy a lambo. Teddy probably would too. So, it is really strange why he is so enamored with branded fixtures in properties, and why he is so adamant that prime properties are better from a value-for-your-money viewpoint.
    hard to say....

when i was a student with less den $10 in my pocket....i find those ppl who spent 200k on BMs, Benz very very silly....

if i got 100mil+++, anytime spend 2mil on car man....$$ intrinsic value of zero until u spend it

Don't need to be confused. Singaporeans also can speculate right? Also, "Singaporeans" can sometimes refer to Citizens + PRs in the media. PRs, mmm, so easy to get! (So cheap-skate in Singapore! Those without housing subsidies from companies sure take up because give them so much more benefits vs "foreigner" status! )

hard to say....

when i was a student with less den $10 in my pocket....i find those ppl who spent 200k on BMs, Benz very very silly....

if i got 100mil+++, anytime spend 2mil on car man....$$ intrinsic value of zero until u spend it
    Do you know Warren Buffet wear $10 ties?

Do you know Warren Buffet wear $10 ties?
    so???????

so???????
    just because you have money doesn't make you a spendthrift.

by the same token, just because you have money doesn't make living in "prime" condos more appealing. I am telling you the truth. I actually brought my checkbook with me when I went to see that prime condo across the road from botanic garden. that one with the pretentious name. I did not because I don't see any point buying it.

No, no lambo for me. I rather buy a Merc S-350 for their safety features and reliability. The same for properties. Quality fixtures will not spoilt and malfunction easily, will not rust, will stay in same condition just like new 10 years down the road. that is why they are worth it in properties. Are you going to move out and in just to fix all these things every 2-3 years? I sure won't, and I don't want to be getting people to fix all these things every 1-2 years because of rusting, malfunction etc. I hate dealing with all these handyman/plumbers, many always trying to chop you with additional unnecessary things (not spoilt say spoilt, didn't change say change and charge more $$$)! Been there before and no thankyou! Have you heard of stainless steel tap and pipe rusting? Wow! I just can't believe it until I see that in my friends' place! They use just those cheap unbranded stainless steel taps and they are all rusting after 1 year! Even after 3 months, water spots are everywhere! So ugly and unsightly! You saw those copper pipes bursting after 2-3 years? Have you seen those cheap marbles having stains, patches, holes everywhere after 3-5 years of age?
    Obviously prime properties are not all about prestige, but about the convenient and central location and easy access to everywhere and all important facilities, amenities, places in Singapore. You think I will buy a diamond studded homes in Woodlands just because they make it so luxury? (luxury as in surface but not in their quality as in built to last etc).

I think teddy and I are basically the same type. I don't appreciate "finer" things in life. Neither does he. I smirk when reading that many people are willing to shell out 1.5 million to buy a lambo. Teddy probably would too. So, it is really strange why he is so enamored with branded fixtures in properties, and why he is so adamant that prime properties are better from a value-for-your-money viewpoint.

just one more time. what can you get access to from your cCR condo that we in a OCR condo cannot?
    Last edited by stalingrad; 15-12-10 at 12:08.

Now that Stalingrad and Teddybear has both answered. both wear the common man's watches, Casio and Seiko.
    Stalingrad is right. Both of them has much more in common than previously thought

But from my experience, the quality of fixtures and fittings are important, especially plumbing.
    I guess the solution for Teddybear is to buy an OCR, rip out all the plumbing and install quality plumbing. Waterproof the ceiling in case the neighbours above leak below. Install marble flooring.
    What would be the cost of the total makeover for a 1400sf condo? $200k? That would be about 143psf.

By the way, no wonder Stalingrad and Teddybear are loggerheads. Stalingrad = USSR, Teddybear (Theodore Roosevelt) = USA.
    Seiko (Stalingrad) and Casio (Teddybear) are rivals.

By the way, has anyone seen the Property Price Index Chart for CCR, RCR, OCR?
    If you have seen them, PPI for CCR and OCR are kind of superimposed. It is only recently, 2005 onwards that CCR diverge greatly and converged again during the recession.
    There is still a gap right now but narrowing.

My prediction in 2011? they will converge. I believe the period 2006-2008 is an anomaly.
    1) CCR stagnant and OCR will rise.
    2) CCR fall down and OCR stagnant.

I am vested in a few CCR properties. None in OCR
    Why do I buy CCR? The rich are more likely to buy CCR, more potential for capital appreciation. (that's why the recovery in 2009 in kinda of disappointing for me.)
    Furthermore, I want to avoid being considered a trader, where I will be charged for capital gains.
    So buy more expensive and fewer units rather than cheaper and more units.
    I want to ride the up cycle, but not the down cycle, so my holding period is 4-5 year only. Rental yields are not that important. Most money is made when you sell and not when you rent.

That of course beggars the question, why does the rich like CCR?

As to difference in access CCR vs OCR, I don't know, I don't stay in Singapore.

Depends on the quality and extensiveness. Should be easily $200 psf to be of reasonable standard (and not even luxury standard).

But living in OCR, everyday have to be trapped in traffic jam from OCR areas to city if driving, drive to everywhere also so FAR! Also, your child can't get into any famous school because outside 1km, + getting to any of these good & famous enrichment/tuition schools are just too far!

I like walking to Orchard ION and even Botanic Garden! Just feels so special to be able to do so and at a leisure pace. What car park problem in Orchard shopping belt? What traffic jam in Orchard? I don't feel any. Life is so carefree to be able to reach the longest stretch of shopping district in Singapore and our >100 years old scenic and leisurely Botanic Garden by just walking! People just can't appreciate it when they have not experience that. EXPERIENCE is just a so IMPORTANT word!

Now that Stalingrad and Teddybear has both answered. both wear the common man's watches, Casio and Seiko.
    Stalingrad is right. Both of them has much more in common than previously thought

But from my experience, the quality of fixtures and fittings are important, especially plumbing.
    I guess the solution for Teddybear is to buy an OCR, rip out all the plumbing and install quality plumbing. Waterproof the ceiling in case the neighbours above leak below. Install marble flooring.
    What would be the cost of the total makeover for a 1400sf condo? $200k? That would be about 143psf.

By the way, no wonder Stalingrad and Teddybear are loggerheads. Stalingrad = USSR, Teddybear (Theodore Roosevelt) = USA.
    Seiko (Stalingrad) and Casio (Teddybear) are rivals.

By the way, has anyone seen the Property Price Index Chart for CCR, RCR, OCR?
    If you have seen them, PPI for CCR and OCR are kind of superimposed. It is only recently, 2005 onwards that CCR diverge greatly and converged again during the recession.
    There is still a gap right now but narrowing.

My prediction in 2011? they will converge. I believe the period 2006-2008 is an anomaly.
    1) CCR stagnant and OCR will rise.
    2) CCR fall down and OCR stagnant.

I am vested in a few CCR properties. None in OCR
    Why do I buy CCR? The rich are more likely to buy CCR, more potential for capital appreciation. (that's why the recovery in 2009 in kinda of disappointing for me.)
    Furthermore, I want to avoid being considered a trader, where I will be charged for capital gains.
    So buy more expensive and fewer units rather than cheaper and more units.
    I want to ride the up cycle, but not the down cycle, so my holding period is 4-5 year only. Rental yields are not that important. Most money is made when you sell and not when you rent.

That of course beggars the question, why does the rich like CCR?

As to difference in access CCR vs OCR, I don't know, I don't stay in Singapore.

I already answered your question in another post (see below). Please EXPERIENCE it for a year before you comment again.

Depends on the quality and extensiveness. Should be easily $200 psf to be of reasonable standard.

But living in OCR, everyday have to be trapped in traffic jam from OCR areas to city if driving, drive to everywhere also so FAR! Also, your child can't get into any famous school because outside 1km, + getting to any of these good & famous enrichment/tuition schools are just too far!

I like walking to Orchard ION and even Botanic Garden! Just feels so special to be able to do so and at a leisure pace. What car park problem in Orchard shopping belt? What traffic jam in Orchard? I don't feel any. Life is so carefree to be able to reach the longest stretch of shopping district in Singapore and our >100 years old scenic and leisurely Botanic Garden by just walking! People just can't appreciate it when they have not experience that. EXPERIENCE is just a so IMPORTANT word!
    just one more time. what can you get access to from your cCR condo that we in a OCR condo cannot?

I already answered your question in another post (see below). Please EXPERIENCE it for a year before you comment again.
    I disagree with you.

to orchard, you would travel for only 10 to 20 minutes from OCR, depending on what you live. You may save 5 to 10 minutes by living in CCR. what cares?

the same goes for botanic garden. again, who cares.

for some parts of CBD, you are better off living in OCR. anson road and shenton way, for example.

Ok, this is up to you. I have already said what I need to say to avoid people like you smearing about living near Orchard. Regardless of whatever you try to twist about how fast you can drive to Orchard from your Carabelle, I can walk to Orchard ION faster than you drive - that is a FACT!

I can also walk to Botanic Garden faster than you drive
    - that is another FACT! I want to smell the plants and flowers, not the exhausts from the cars and the industry/commercial air-cons there in Anson Road and Shenton Way. I don't go there anyway and have no need to go there everyday, that is for people to go to work, not to enjoy life! I don't know how people can open their windows to smell the fresh air in the morning with all those crowded office buildings all around with industrial/commercial air-cons that are on 24-hours a day!

I disagree with you.

to orchard, you would travel for only 10 to 20 minutes from OCR, depending on what you live. You may save 5 to 10 minutes by living in CCR. what cares?

the same goes for botanic garden. again, who cares.

for some parts of CBD, you are better off living in OCR. anson road and shenton way, for example.

Ok, this is up to you. I have already said what I need to say to avoid people like you smearing about living near Orchard. Regardless of whatever you try to twist about how fast you can drive to Orchard from your Carabelle, I can walk to Orchard ION faster than you drive - that is a FACT!

I can also walk to Botanic Garden faster than you drive
    - that is another FACT! I want to smell the plants and flowers, not the exhausts from the cars and the industry/commercial air-cons there in Anson Road and Shenton Way. I don't go there anyway and have no need to go there everyday, that is for people to go to work, not to enjoy life! I don't know how people can open their windows to smell the fresh air in the morning with all those crowded office buildings all around with industrial/commercial air-cons that are on 24-hours a day!
    good for you. I enjoy more my cash balances in my checking accounts, and seeing my investments growing in value over time. to each his own, as you singaporeans like to say.

give the government enough time and they will make everywhere in singapore a desirable living space. luxury condos will in the future sprout up in various parts of the island regardless of district number.

No, no lambo for me. I rather buy a Merc S-350 for their safety features and reliability. The same for properties. Quality fixtures will not spoilt and malfunction easily, will not rust, will stay in same condition just like new 10 years down the road. that is why they are worth it in properties. Are you going to move out and in just to fix all these things every 2-3 years? I sure won't, and I don't want to be getting people to fix all these things every 1-2 years because of rusting, malfunction etc. I hate dealing with all these handyman/plumbers, many always trying to chop you with additional unnecessary things (not spoilt say spoilt, didn't change say change and charge more $$$)! Been there before and no thankyou! Have you heard of stainless steel tap and pipe rusting? Wow! I just can't believe it until I see that in my friends' place! They use just those cheap unbranded stainless steel taps and they are all rusting after 1 year! Even after 3 months, water spots are everywhere! So ugly and unsightly! You saw those copper pipes bursting after 2-3 years? Have you seen those cheap marbles having stains, patches, holes everywhere after 3-5 years of age?
    Obviously prime properties are not all about prestige, but about the convenient and central location and easy access to everywhere and all important facilities, amenities, places in Singapore. You think I will buy a diamond studded homes in Woodlands just because they make it so luxury? (luxury as in surface but not in their quality as in built to last etc).

You expect another Botanic Garden, Orchard ION + Takashimaya + Wisma Atria, Istana sprout up in every constituency in Singapore? Good! Orchard won't be so crowded as of now! Can have a president in every constituency also! More people got chance to be president! I really hope so but unfortunately I think that can only happen in my dream!

give the government enough time and they will make everywhere in singapore a desirable living space. luxury condos will in the future sprout up in various parts of the island regardless of district number.

i said luxury condos, i did not say similar amenities in the CCR will sprout up in the suburbs. By the way, have you had the chance to see the human traffic at jurong point? Govt has already had the jurong lake district plan mapped out and hotels, office buildings and entertainment centres will be built around the lake in the masterplan. As much as i do not like jurong, when the govt starts to bulldoze, we just cannot stop them. You can also take a walk at the new NEX mall in Serangoon and we will expect to see many such malls cropping up all over the island in future.

You expect another Botanic Garden, Orchard ION + Takashimaya + Wisma Atria, Istana sprout up in every constituency in Singapore? Good! Orchard won't be so crowded as of now! Can have a president in every constituency also! More people got chance to be president! I really hope so but unfortunately I think that can only happen in my dream!

You remember Bukit Merah Central? How Govt has tried to push up that place with HDB central office there? What happened to it now? I rather believe significant private developers and owners presence rather than just Govt. Their focus will just shift when they found the place to be saturated, find another fresh new more empty place to build it up so that they can also sell the land around that used to be ulu places at sky-high prices. This is what is happening around Jurong Lake and Payar Lebar. Let's see what happen 20 years after that. May be they started shifting to Simpang? Lim Chu Kang? How about Punggol, another place they touted as seaside quality living 10 years ago, has not much progress so far. No, I don't follow where they go. I follow where I can make money and live conveniently and comfortably, and not where they can sell to make money.

i said luxury condos, i did not say similar amenities in the CCR will sprout up in the suburbs. By the way, have you had the chance to see the human traffic at jurong point? Govt has already had the jurong lake district plan mapped out and hotels, office buildings and entertainment centres will be built around the lake in the masterplan. As much as i do not like jurong, when the govt starts to bulldoze, we just cannot stop them. You can also take a walk at the new NEX mall in Serangoon and we will expect to see many such malls cropping up all over the island in future.