Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divorcee woman facing housing problem

Default Divorcee woman facing housing problem

A friend of mine was telling me how her cousin is currently in a difficult situation:
    - Divorced from her husband and only got about 40k cash from the sale of thier property
    - 33 years old, cannot buy HDB resale yet
    - take home pay about 4k per mth, no other savings.
    - have 2 dogs which are her emotional support now, so cannot give away.
    - Divorce was kept from parents so cannot move back home

This woman cannot afford to buy a private, cannot buy a HDB, cannot find a room to rent as she has 2 dogs, and appearntly the only resort is to rent a whole unit. ( and not all landlords accept dogs)

I was looking at rental classifieds and to rent a whole unit cost at least $1700 now...

Does she really have no other choice but to spend half of her income on rental?

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet
    A friend of mine was telling me how her cousin is currently in a difficult situation:
    - Divorced from her husband and only got about 40k cash from the sale of thier property

This woman cannot afford to buy a private, cannot buy a HDB, cannot find a room to rent as she has 2 dogs, and appearntly the only resort is to rent a whole unit. ( and not all landlords accept dogs)

I was looking at rental classifieds and to rent a whole unit cost at least $1700 now...

sooner or later her parents will noe.....

how can a 33 yr old earning 4k a month not have any savings except for the cash proceeds from the flat?

I have a solution for her, rent a room outside for 1-2 years for just $500-600 a month, put the dogs in an animal shelter and pay for the animal shelter to take care of the dogs, her problem solved. During that time, she can work harder and be less of a spendthrift and save some money to buy a flat when she turns 35.

hhaha. I also don't know why she got not much savings.
    Maybe taking care of 2 dogs is expensive.

I dun think its a good idea to send the dogs to shelter. Its like sending her kids to orphange.

I guess she don't have much of a choice eh....

I think the best option is still to let the parents know and move back to stay with them for the time being until 35yrs old.

If not have to use the limited budget and work out some solutions, can't have everything.

Unless she is really lucky to land a first job that pays $4,000 immediately after her divorce, she must have worked a few years to get to this amount. That means she has CPF.

Ask her to check how much her Ordinary Account in CPF has. I estimate it to be about $50,000. With the $40,000 from the sale of the flat, she has a budget of about $90,000 assuming she can use all of the OA on a flat. HDB is not within her choices because of the age factor, but she should hunt for a small and simple studio apartment with the $90,000 as budget for paying the 20% upfront + stamp fee. A year ago, this would have been alot easier as there were many studios at $400,000 but she should still try those 99-year leasehold suburban condo units. With a salary income of $4,000 a month, she can definitely handle the monthly installments since the bank is likely to allow her to borrow up to 30-35 years.

She SHOULD NOT part from her dogs as those are her only emotional support now and it is traumatic to handle life alone right after a divorce. It may affect her work or lifestyle and cause more problems. She also SHOULD NOT rent because that will continue to deplete her cash resource and make it harder for her to buy something later on.

Such is the problem with the housing in Singapore. I am sure many had thought of buying a HDB flat before 35 but we just cannot. And when we do turn 35, we (singles) realise that we can only buy resale and have to fork out a silly amount for the COV! Plus these flats would have appreciated too so it is not really that worth buying a >5year old flat. That is why small condo units continue to be attractive.

When the dogs are not fed for 2 days by the owner, you see whether the dogs will be like children anymore. These animals have no higher order thinking, anyone that can give them good food and lodging is good enough for them. Animals won't give a shit if the owner is in financial woes or becoming a bankrupt, they only care about the food in their dish

I dun think its a good idea to send the dogs to shelter. Its like sending her kids to orphange.

the lady in difficulty obviously does not have the money for a 20% capital outlay, which equates to $80k (not including stamp duty and legal fees) for a $400k studio, if she can even find a $400k studio today. I can only think of the 2xxsf super mickey mouse unit in Guillemard, but i think that unit is probably only fit for her dogs, not her

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    Unless she is really lucky to land a first job that pays $4,000 immediately after her divorce, she must have worked a few years to get to this amount. That means she has CPF.

Ask her to check how much her Ordinary Account in CPF has. I estimate it to be about $50,000. With the $40,000 from the sale of the flat, she has a budget of about $90,000 assuming she can use all of the OA on a flat. HDB is not within her choices because of the age factor, but she should hunt for a small and simple studio apartment with the $90,000 as budget for paying the 20% upfront + stamp fee. A year ago, this would have been alot easier as there were many studios at $400,000 but she should still try those 99-year leasehold suburban condo units. With a salary income of $4,000 a month, she can definitely handle the monthly installments since the bank is likely to allow her to borrow up to 30-35 years.

She SHOULD NOT part from her dogs as those are her only emotional support now and it is traumatic to handle life alone right after a divorce. It may affect her work or lifestyle and cause more problems. She also SHOULD NOT rent because that will continue to deplete her cash resource and make it harder for her to buy something later on.

Such is the problem with the housing in Singapore. I am sure many had thought of buying a HDB flat before 35 but we just cannot. And when we do turn 35, we (singles) realise that we can only buy resale and have to fork out a silly amount for the COV! Plus these flats would have appreciated too so it is not really that worth buying a >5year old flat. That is why small condo units continue to be attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    the lady in difficulty obviously does not have the money for a 20% capital outlay, which equates to $80k (not including stamp duty and legal fees) for a $400k studio, if she can even find a $400k studio today. I can only think of the 2xxsf super mickey mouse unit in Guillemard, but i think that unit is probably only fit for her dogs, not her
    I am just puzzled why she does not have CPF. I wonder what kind of a job she has.

When the dogs are not fed for 2 days by the owner, you see whether the dogs will be like children anymore. These animals have no higher order thinking, anyone that can give them good food and lodging is good enough for them. Animals won't give a shit if the owner is in financial woes or becoming a bankrupt, they only care about the food in their dish
    no wonder so many ppl abandon their pets

i think she has cpf, i am just curious about the kind of lifestyle she leads with no savings after all these years of work. She is just two years younger than me and it is hard for me to think that a person around my age group has no rainy day cash in bank

I am just puzzled why she does not have CPF. I wonder what kind of a job she has.

i think she has cpf, i am just curious about the kind of lifestyle she leads with no savings after all these years of work. She is just two years younger than me and it is hard for me to think that a person around my age group has no rainy day cash in bank
    The story sounds incomplete to me. For instance, did she spend it all on a car other than the dogs? Did (or does) she have other commitments? Having 2 dogs gives me the impression that she was perhaps living off quite well and could be reasonably affluent? How come she only gets $40k from the sale of the apartment (instead of splitting 50-50)? Perhaps she has a few LV and Chanel bags and should sell them for cash? I also find it incredible for her to have zero savings. If she adds up CPF, some (little) savings, and the $40k and lets say some of her watch, bags, etc, she should have the $90k I was talking about to try to buy a small divorcee pad.

Default it's the lifestyle trend now

Regulators, i think you underestimate the number of people who live from pay to pay. I was like that even though my pay was 5 figures until i had 2 big personal family problems that made me rethink my lifestyle. By 30s and with high pay, i had no savings and no cpf (sales job).

By the way, getting out of debt is also not as easy as it looks. I went through that phase too.

Then after i settled my debts, then i could think of investment, which in this case also includes buying that first or second property.

This lady needs help but only she can help herself at this point. Anyone who steps in will only prolong the problem for her, esp keeping a divorce from her parents.

Wow really good insights there.
    Thanks all for the contribution.

I Just found out she does have about $60k in CPF. she is in a managerial office position.
    So it means she has a buget of $500k to find an apartment.

But now, 500k can buy a decent private apartment meh?

Just wondering if ppl who are desperate will dump all their money to buy an apartment they don't like because they have no other choice?
    Last edited by Piglet; 26-12-10 at 14:11.

There are still quite alot of MM units selling below 500k. She can consider one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    There are still quite alot of MM units selling below 500k. She can consider one of them.
    which one ? ready to move in and below 500k?

I Just found out she does have about $60k in CPF. she is in a managerial office position.

Just wondering if ppl who are desperate will dump all their money to buy an apartment they don't like because they have no other choice?
    It is not considered 'dumping' because at least they are buying something they can use (either to live in, so that they don't have to pay rent, or for investment so that they can get some rental income). At worst, the apartment can be rented out for a long long time and let the rent pay for the installments and maintenance until an appropriate time when they can sell it at a profit. If she starts renting, THAT IS dumping money down the drain because that is just an expenditure and does not help her achieve a goal of getting her own place later on. These days, renting just a single room with air-con at an average location like Commonwealth may cost you $600 - $700 per room. That is about $8,000 dumped into the drain each year, similar to owning a car! After paying so much, the little room isn't even going to get nearer to become yours.

It is quite amusing to see other chat topics bashing MM units and here we are trying to look for one of suitable budget for a poor lady who has little choice. There are actually many people in this situation as well, unwilling to rent but having limited budget. At the end of the day, they will realise that MM units are not exactly that much in abundance. While waiting for many such units to be built, the existing ones are limited in numbers. Some projects may have twenty over stacks, with only 2 stacks that are MMs. These are easy to maintain, good enough for singles to live and yet still allow them to enjoy a good quality of life if the amenities are good. Lets also not forget that there are foreign professionals who will be intelligent enough to figure this out. They will start buying such small apartments too.

If this lady cannot get a studio unit at $500k, she should also keep her options open by thinking of joining with a good friend (with similar budget and salary) looking for a place to live away from family and perhaps buy a 2 bedder to share. However, $500k is still possible to find provided she is not particular about lease or freehold and she cannot be choosey with finding a place that is in extremely good location. She can seek out Yishun, Woodlands, Pasir Ris, etc?

bro, don't say i never offer help in the practical sense. Here is a listing for prestige heights in D12 for under $500k:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...estige-heights

Can rent for a while until the unit TOP. She has to be a mickey mouse fan to like this unit.

another unit to recommend in D15 under $500k:

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...-modules-soho-

Prestige Heights is definitely a better one here, if only it is has TOP-ed. Location is good.

Modules is also in a good location, walking distance to Katong Mall which means the cinema is 5 mins away on foot! But Modules looks a bit weird and cold. More like a small office building!

Can also consider something like this one:
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...ing-fong-court

Location is Geylang area, but it is near Dakota. Freehold and not very small (667sqft) so it is more livable than those 300+sqft type. This area is near Kallang so it also has potential for capital appreciation. But it is a bit old (built in 1997).

i saw the wing fong one, but not a good place for a lady to live there.

Location is Geylang area, but it is near Dakota. Freehold and not very small (667sqft) so it is more livable than those 300+sqft type. This area is near Kallang so it also has potential for capital appreciation. But it is a bit old (built in 1997).

i saw the wing fong one, but not a good place for a lady to live there.
    No choice because of limited budget... not convenient for her to rent a room from a family or stay with strangers and too expensive to pay $1.7k to $2k for an apartment by herself...see? Good MMs are not exactly that much in abundance afterall. I think the best option is to consider Prestige Heights and then try to stay with her parents for a year.

i doubt can get loan,and plus thats a old ad. Newer ad for 670sqft at 670k. Anyway if she doesnt have much money,she cant 选屋。 是屋选主人!

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71
    i doubt can get loan,and plus thats a old ad. Newer ad for 670sqft at 670k. Anyway if she doesnt have much money,she cant 选屋。 是屋选人!
    She definitely can get loan because she has no commitments and she has a decent income and can afford 20% downpayment + stamp.

What happened to all the talk about 'price correction', market cooling, property prices dropping? Hah! This is reality, man.

She definitely can get loan because she has no commitments and she has a decent income and can afford 20% downpayment + stamp.

What happened to all the talk about 'price correction', market cooling, property prices dropping? Hah! This is reality, man.
    20% down,and 80% loan on geylang area properties.?
    wow u do have deep knowledge abt properties in sgp.

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71
    20% down,and 80% loan on geylang area properties.?
    wow u do have deep knowledge abt properties in sgp.
    She may have difficulties with the geylang one, but don't think she has problems with the Prestige Heights. Else she has to find others like Kovan.

KOVAN GRANDEUR MM cheap cheap haa haa

118 Tampines Road #02-12
    99 Yrs From 10/08/2010
    $1063
    $389k
    18 Nov 10

118 Tampines Road #03-05
    99 Yrs From 10/08/2010
    $1077
    $394k
    15 Nov 10

118 Tampines Road #04-08
    99 Yrs From 10/08/2010
    $1095
    $400k
    05 Nov 10

i selected prestige hts coz developer planning to TOP next year and the area is an up and coming next best to prime, others like the ones in Kovan still long before TOP

She may have difficulties with the geylang one, but don't think she has problems with the Prestige Heights. Else she has to find others like Kovan.

hmm.. she in a similar kinda dilemma as i was..

my situation: my ex-wife dumped me w THREE dogs and left for china to work.. knn.. so i can emphatise w her

but working out, piglet's friend shld have enuff for the 20% + stamp duty as pointed out by forumers.. so if she isn't choosy.. shld be no problem getting a mickey mouse or shoebox..

actually i feel she shld just move in w her parents.. problem solve..