Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House hunt - Advice appreciated

Default House hunt - Advice appreciated

Seven years ago we stubbornly kept within our budget. Chose Tanjong Rhu over The Astons at Kay Poh road (for a mere savings of $100,00!) and bought a small high floor sea view unit that suited just the 2 of us.

Fastforward to day: God blessed us with a son but we were spilling out of the apt. So we sold our place in November and started our hunt. Comparing prices, our place increase by about 40% whereas Aston prices increased by almost 75%. (hope I got my Math right)

Although we are looking for a home, we hope to buy into somewhere with potential capital appreciation. Learning from our mistake, we included River Valley area (where schools and rationality lead us) while looking around Meyer/Tg Rhu (where the heart is).

We viewed from Residences at Evelyn to Park Infinia to Aspen Heights, Riveria Gardens and some. Realised our budget of $2m can only get relatively new mid floor 2 bedders or old 3 bedders.

At the east, we viewed Meyer Residences, Belvedere , Seafront and some others. Liked the layout of the latter. Offered almost $1750psf for a v high floor 2 bedder, (no sea view tho) but got played out by the agent. (Maybe it was a blessing in disguise cos now that the euphoria has died down, we realized it was probably overpriced)

We are supposed to move out by end of February. Have resigned to the fact that we will be moving twice, once to a rental before to our home.

Here's the dilemma:
    At almost the same price, which should we bite?
    - Good layout, brand new but overpriced Seafront
    - 4 year old Urbana(?) with better potential but needs creative imagination to fit our piano into the living room

Sorry for the long post but the stress from this hunt has resulted in quite a lot of tension between me and hubs. I hope to seek advice from the seasoned property players here to shed some light and hopefully make this journey smoother.

Many thanks and God bless,
    eyeo

How about The Arte by CDL? Just top recently, a 1399sqft 3 bedroom apartment about 1.6M.

21 Jalan Raja Udang #22-05
    Freehold
    $1180
    $1650k
    06 Dec 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #29-07
    Freehold
    $1208
    $1690k
    27 Aug 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #12-07
    Freehold
    $1180
    $1650k
    24 Aug 10

I believe there is still room for appreciation once Cube8 and Thomson 368 TOP.

I would go for valley park that is cheaper, has upside potential and still fit your piano in

Urbana anytime!

If unit faces claremont which has a height restriction upto i think 10 storey and oxley area, you will have literally unblocked city view for those units on slightly higher level.

River valley close potential not fully realised yet.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeo
    Seven years ago we stubbornly kept within our budget. Chose Tanjong Rhu over The Astons at Kay Poh road (for a mere savings of $100,00!) and bought a small high floor sea view unit that suited just the 2 of us.

Fastforward to day: God blessed us with a son but we were spilling out of the apt. So we sold our place in November and started our hunt. Comparing prices, our place increase by about 40% whereas Aston prices increased by almost 75%. (hope I got my Math right)

Although we are looking for a home, we hope to buy into somewhere with potential capital appreciation. Learning from our mistake, we included River Valley area (where schools and rationality lead us) while looking around Meyer/Tg Rhu (where the heart is).

We viewed from Residences at Evelyn to Park Infinia to Aspen Heights, Riveria Gardens and some. Realised our budget of $2m can only get relatively new mid floor 2 bedders or old 3 bedders.

At the east, we viewed Meyer Residences, Belvedere , Seafront and some others. Liked the layout of the latter. Offered almost $1750psf for a v high floor 2 bedder, (no sea view tho) but got played out by the agent. (Maybe it was a blessing in disguise cos now that the euphoria has died down, we realized it was probably overpriced)

We are supposed to move out by end of February. Have resigned to the fact that we will be moving twice, once to a rental before to our home.

Here's the dilemma:
    At almost the same price, which should we bite?
    - Good layout, brand new but overpriced Seafront
    - 4 year old Urbana(?) with better potential but needs creative imagination to fit our piano into the living room

Sorry for the long post but the stress from this hunt has resulted in quite a lot of tension between me and hubs. I hope to seek advice from the seasoned property players here to shed some light and hopefully make this journey smoother.

Many thanks and God bless,
    eyeo

wah 2mil budget and yet cant find a plc....ppty really bubbling or too picky?

The piano is grand piano?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    wah 2mil budget and yet cant find a plc....ppty really bubbling or too picky?
    Guilty as charged. As mentioned in my post - looking at D9, 10, 11 or Meyer, Tg Rhu. Guess it is the right budget but wrong place

r u a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    The piano is grand piano?
    Normal upright but sure looks big in my cramped and toys-filled hall

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by august
    r u a foreigner?
    Nope. 100% local teochew ah nia

Dear azeoprop, John and nobrainer32007

Thanks for the leads, will include the mentioned projects under my radar, cheers

Guilty as charged. As mentioned in my post - looking at D9, 10, 11 or Meyer, Tg Rhu. Guess it is the right budget but wrong place
    Why T Rhu and meyer, not a little further down to Sea View. A lot more convenient, walk to Parkway?

Not hot about River Valley, personally...

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Why T Rhu and meyer, not a little further down to Sea View. A lot more convenient, walk to Parkway?

Not hot about River Valley, personally...
    Yeah seaview is attractive, nearby amenities galore, with a strong developer like wheelock to boot. However I am kind of concerned after the recent parking spate and the upcoming silverseas. What do u think?

Yeah seaview is attractive, nearby amenities galore, with a strong developer like wheelock to boot. However I am kind of concerned after the recent parking spate and the upcoming silverseas. What do u think?
    buy sea view for the convenience, not the views. It's good that silversea is coming up now, so the lost of view is already priced in. unlike the original buyers that have paid for the view that is going away....

The parking issue is a temporary blip in the bigger scheme of things....

I hope you're considering meyer road, not solely on views, because the seaview will eventually disappear with the vast reclaimed land in front of the plots (except aalto). Then, you'll be left with the ECP, without the sea view. that's not going to be good for prices in the future.

you have 2 mil cash to spare or just a 2 mil budget to buy a property? if you have 2 mil cash, you can buy 3-4 properties and collect rental income to pay of your other mortgages.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    How about The Arte by CDL? Just top recently, a 1399sqft 3 bedroom apartment about 1.6M.

21 Jalan Raja Udang #22-05
    Freehold
    $1180
    $1650k
    06 Dec 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #29-07
    Freehold
    $1208
    $1690k
    27 Aug 10

23 Jalan Raja Udang #12-07
    Freehold
    $1180
    $1650k
    24 Aug 10

I believe there is still room for appreciation once Cube8 and Thomson 368 TOP.
    Agreed.. At 2-mil budget, you can get a big unit at The Arte with full size condo facilities.. & is brand new with good finishing

I do believe there is still room for appreciation, esp Vista Res by Far East once TOP.. they are selling much higher than The Arte
    Last edited by Rysk; 29-12-10 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk
    Agreed.. At 2-mil budget, you can get a big unit at The Arte with full size condo facilities.. & is brand new with good finishing

I do believe there is still room for appreciation, esp Vista Res by Far East once TOP.. they are selling much higher than The Arte

i think she also has to consider at least to be near schools ...

actually i think for that budget ..and if they are not fussy which sch for the son ( as long as not girls' sch hehhe) then alot of choices leow

Get the correct facing if you are looking at the Arte.

Hi rysk & proud owner

CDL properties are always so tempting. Saw a high floor unit on Propertyguru. Seems the units are quite "marble-ish"?

Will drive by to recce location first though. Some parts of Balestier are almost Geylang-wannabes. Don't wish to end up being a 孟母三迁

eyeo

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    you have 2 mil cash to spare or just a 2 mil budget to buy a property? if you have 2 mil cash, you can buy 3-4 properties and collect rental income to pay of your other mortgages.
    Unfortunately it is just $2m budget, I wish it were all cash though

I saw the SeaFront and The Seaview
    The Seaview is a much better buy and convenient

Carpark isssue at The Seaview is over alr, perhaps wait till the AGM

Get old RV condos like Melrose Park. Less than 3 mins walking to Great World City from back entrance.

how about 8@ Mt Spohia, 1 min to DG MRT?
    I have seen several units there in the 1Q this year but did not buy. A bit regret now. Location is superb but i feel the unit furnishings not so gd.

Quote Originally Posted by terence
    how about 8@ Mt Spohia, 1 min to DG MRT?
    I have seen several units there in the 1Q this year but did not buy. A bit regret now. Location is superb but i feel the unit furnishings not so gd.
    but construction right in front for next 3-4yrs wor

Quote Originally Posted by Rysk

Official website:
    http://www.cdl.com.sg/thearte/

I went to the Arte showroom last year and almost booked a unit but eventually turned away because of the huge balcony and planters which stretches across the living room and the bedrooms. But the interior is nice with big marble slabs. Chosen Vista res because of the better space utilisation and the sky terraces. Prices back then seems so cheap compared to what people have to pay now.

Quote Originally Posted by propertychap
    I went to the Arte showroom last year and almost booked a unit but eventually turned away because of the huge balcony and planters which stretches across the living room and the bedrooms. But the interior is nice with big marble slabs. Chosen Vista res because of the better space utilisation and the sky terraces. Prices back then seems so cheap compared to what people have to pay now.
    EVERYTHING seems so cheap last yr jan-may

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    EVERYTHING seems so cheap last yr jan-may
    should be march to may....

the trend is on mass market towards OCR or RCR area now not River Valley.

buy Jurong west also has potential capital gain and more space for you..