Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House hunt - Advice appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Newton Euro-Asia the estate looks quite shabby (landscaping & building not well managed?). Why not look at Novena Suites, The Hungtington, Thomson Euro-Asia, Soleil side? Just beside MRT and 3 shopping malls all within 2 mins distance. Your son can get 1 km priority P1 registration to get into SJI Junior (100% can get in, no need balloting) (Mah Boh Tan's school?).
    I am still waiting patiently for either The Hungtington or Thomson Euro-Asia. I believe in 2 or 3 quarters, maybe by a year, price would peak and have a small correction.

I hope my half a million cash + CPF is enough to snag a nice 3+1, either 1292sqft or 1356sqft @ 1.4k psf max.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by repanse71
    I am still waiting patiently for either The Hungtington or Thomson Euro-Asia. I believe in 2 or 3 quarters, maybe by a year, price would peak and have a small correction.

I hope my half a million cash + CPF is enough to snag a nice 3+1, either 1292sqft or 1356sqft @ 1.4k psf max.

Regards
    Wat abt sky11...1200psf for 30+flr got chance anot...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeo
    I am very touched by your post. It takes a parent to understand what another parent is going through.

Proximity to choice school is definitely important. However with the influx of rich foreigners and with admission criteria changing all the time, we have put it as a good to have. I came from a neighborhood school and turned out ok. So I guess he should be fine . If I fail to get him into a 'good' primary school, I hope my son works his way to a choice secondary school himself.

Is a good school important in primary school stage?

I took a break last year to try teaching. I was posted to a neighbourhood school in the west teaching primary 2.

Many of my peers are naturally horrified with my experience. Many P2 kids (about 20%) from lower income regardless of races cannot listen, speak and read English properly. Almost every other morning, I need to tutor 2-3 kids for them to really learn. This is quite typical of many neighbourhood schools. I would give Ng Eng Hen a good black eye for painting goody goody pictures. I believe we need more part time tutors (retirees and semi retirees) to help teachers, even if teacher-student ratio is down to 30.

Sorry, I am digressing.
    I have a few students whose parents are very well off (arriving by BMWs/Mercs... staying in suburban condo). They are all well-behaved, keen to learn, learn fast and always helping the slower students.

I also have such well-off kids who are lazy and obnoxious.

My point is the question should be what kind of parent you want to be. With good parental support, kids would blossom as well in neighbourhood schools. I believe you are not bochap. But for bochap parents, top schools would mask child problem beneath the surface and would be hard to correct later.

IMHO, the benefits of networking... starts in secondary school onwards.
    In primary school stages, academic excellence is secondary to good upbringing.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Got chance too. But 1.2k psf a bit too off.

You can consider Parc Seabreeze. Some of the units are still available from the developer. TOP likely to be end 2011. Just opposite Church of Singapore and facing Parkway.

*disclaimer, i have an unit there.

Quote Originally Posted by repanse71
    I........
    IMHO, the benefits of networking... starts in secondary school onwards.
    In primary school stages, academic excellence is secondary to good upbringing.

regards
    Teaching the child the right attitude, street skills are more important than academic results.
    Bring the children to the destitute. Tell the children why the persons are destitute. And the parents will rotan the child less. The children now has internal motivation to avoid the same fate as the destitute.
    I like my children to mix around with the poorer, the lower caste.
    In JC, University, the children would automatically have chances to meet the educated as a result of filtering by education system. I don't expect to see the uneducated in university.
    Reasons are 2 fold:
    1) The lower caste are more likely to know the ins and outs of the system, the backalleys so to speak.
    2) The lower caste are more likely to inflict bodily harm / go out of the system for a certain incentive.
    Would periodically remind the child to maintain relations with the lower caste friends, they have their uses.
    Once in JC, Uni, unlikely to meet the lower caste anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Teaching the child the right attitude, street skills are more important than academic results.
    Bring the children to the destitute. Tell the children why the persons are destitute. And the parents will rotan the child less. The children now has internal motivation to avoid the same fate as the destitute.
    I like my children to mix around with the poorer, the lower caste.
    In JC, University, the children would automatically have chances to meet the educated as a result of filtering by education system. I don't expect to see the uneducated in university.
    Reasons are 2 fold:
    1) The lower caste are more likely to know the ins and outs of the system, the backalleys so to speak.
    2) The lower caste are more likely to inflict bodily harm / go out of the system for a certain incentive.
    Would periodically remind the child to maintain relations with the lower caste friends, they have their uses.
    Once in JC, Uni, unlikely to meet the lower caste anymore.
    street smart+academic smart? hehe

but parents here r very worried tat their kids become ah beng/ah lian....so mentality is to enter gd schools to minimise the probability.....not all kids r strong willed mah

street smart+academic smart? hehe

but parents here r very worried tat their kids become ah beng/ah lian....so mentality is to enter gd schools to minimise the probability.....not all kids r strong willed mah
    that is why it is true that family values and parenting is impt. During our generation, keeping us under lock and key was safe enough. This generation, bad influences have no physical presence...they are on line and in cyber world

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Sky11? That lousy location smacked in the middle of HDB? What "11"? Should it really be "Sky @Toa Payoh"?

Sky11? That lousy location smacked in the middle of HDB? What "11"? Should it really be "Sky @Toa Payoh"?
    tok more!!! drop to 1200psf i ON

Why the rental yield so BAD!
    for own stay or investment?
    own stay - not convenience leh..
    investment!

tok more!!! drop to 1200psf i ON

Why the rental yield so BAD!
    for own stay or investment?
    own stay - not convenience leh..
    investment!
    I like the view, layout n the facilities leh
    Yield cfm lousy bcoz size too big liao

I avoid this type of view - totally open and bad Feng Shui - money leaking type....

I like the view, layout n the facilities leh
    Yield cfm lousy bcoz size too big liao

I avoid this type of view - totally open and bad Feng Shui - money leaking type....
    Hehe den the owners there leak more money till firesale...

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    why not the Aston? Still around 1300psf, freehold and 5min to Great World. A 2 bedder PH there going for less than 2M
    Are you share with me any info on The Aston? Look like a decent condo, FH but in property guru, have 15 listing for sales. Total units in this development is 80 units. Location quite convenient except it is at a cross road junction. 1 bedded, rental seem to be $3k, few sellers asking for $900k+ ( bat$1400 psf ). Am a bit puzzled, at current price asking, seem quite ok, but why quite many are selling? Rental yield is low? Can shed some light if u have. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Are you share with me any info on The Aston? Look like a decent condo, FH but in property guru, have 15 listing for sales. Total units in this development is 80 units. Location quite convenient except it is at a cross road junction. 1 bedded, rental seem to be $3k, few sellers asking for $900k+ ( bat$1400 psf ). Am a bit puzzled, at current price asking, seem quite ok, but why quite many are selling? Rental yield is low? Can shed some light if u have. Thx
    anytime go for this one....i was quoted tennery pool facing 1bedder, 614sqft, 80xk after discount

Default Re

few month back, i were thinking to buy an small unit while waiting for the TOP of my new apartment. after search for a while and do some calculation, i just feel that now might not be a right time to enter given the fact that we are looking at 10 to 20 % upside but much more dowside, unless you are profeesional property investor who pay close look at the market and in out very frequently.
    Ppl always say buy low and sell high. I personally feel you can practise this by at least own 2 property. otherwise, will just end up sell high, buy higher.
    So my 2 cents suggestion are:
    1) wait
    2) split your budget to get 2 property. Suffer now but enjoy later as ur have more chips to play..
    I am not sure whether i am right....sorry to tell my lousy view in front of so many expact...
    happy new year

Buy low sell high more applicable to stocks... Treat ppty as a form of wealth acumulation will b better

Quote Originally Posted by kskong2000
    few month back, i were thinking to buy an small unit while waiting for the TOP of my new apartment. after search for a while and do some calculation, i just feel that now might not be a right time to enter given the fact that we are looking at 10 to 20 % upside but much more dowside, unless you are profeesional property investor who pay close look at the market and in out very frequently.
    Ppl always say buy low and sell high. I personally feel you can practise this by at least own 2 property. otherwise, will just end up sell high, buy higher.
    So my 2 cents suggestion are:
    1) wait
    2) split your budget to get 2 property. Suffer now but enjoy later as ur have more chips to play..
    I am not sure whether i am right....sorry to tell my lousy view in front of so many expact...
    happy new year
    cannot in and out quickly for property lah... all your profit will go to garment (stamp duty), lawyers and agents.

Have to have at least medium to long term investor for property, so paying close look daily ain't gonna make a difference.

You're right in that you can only make money from property if you have more than 1 property. 1 for staying (don't make money no matter how high prices go) and 1 or more for investing....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    cannot in and out quickly for property lah... all your profit will go to garment (stamp duty), lawyers and agents.

Have to have at least medium to long term investor for property, so paying close look daily ain't gonna make a difference.

You're right in that you can only make money from property if you have more than 1 property. 1 for staying (don't make money no matter how high prices go) and 1 or more for investing....
    if the crisis that happen only once in 100 years didnt crash the property market, chances are.... days of fire sale is probably not going to happen soon(1-2 years)

agree on the long term view part. i think in 5 years time, Singapore private property price will be at a price lvl at least 15-20% higher from now. This is of cos on the basics that we are pushing our population towards 7m. We are only 2m more away.

Inflation will do it alone.
    Hdb prices will support it.
    Private 2 bedders are 2x of 3 room hdbs in the same area.
    Go for smallest unit.