Page 7 of 160 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722273237 ... LastLast

Thread: Property market sentiments 2011

Quote Originally Posted by reuters
    I have friends with kids and above 40s who will avoid Orchard on weekends, but I still prefer to walk around ION, Taka, Paragon, 313@Somerset because the environment is more 'happening'. Recently the Shoppes at MBS are also picking up some momentum! Looks like another hotspot for those who love shopping and having dinners. Given a choice, I will now prefer to live nearer to MBS than Orchard.
    There are simply too many choices now! There is no way u can get tired of any 1 place, cos u got no chance to!! too little time, too many new shopping centers to visit. I love places like VIVO city, Dempsy hill, orchard emerald drinking belt, RWS and maybe in time to come MBS.

Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    will you pay to stay in MBS or have some spare cash to invest in another property?
    From my personal experience and observation, after u stay near MBS or RWS, chances are, one will not have mush spare cash to invest in any other assets

I love my NTUC supermarket, GMarket/ebay and Sutera Mall in Taman Sutera Utama (Malaysia)

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    From my personal experience and observation, after u stay near MBS or RWS, chances are, one will not have mush spare cash to invest in any other assets
    liquidate and buy 2 units at other district? - cheaper to get a car?

will you pay to stay in MBS or have some spare cash to invest in another property?
    hmm.... very hard to say actually (at least for me). That's because MBS is such a massive project that it takes so much more effort to build something of the same scale elsewhere, taking into consideration all other infrastructure and businesses around the area like Esplanade theatres, the F1 pit, Gardens by the Bay. And we have not really seen the full scale of this development because of all the construction going on at Marina South. And I am forever extremely curious what they are going to do to that deliciously precious plot of land at Marina East. From the map, it looks as big as a town and is sitting on prime land, though reclaimed. The potential of the entire downtown and a bit towards both east and west is incredible because this is getting to resemble the downtown Manhattan model - prime apartments getting smaller too.

If it is for investment, I feel that rental yield is not the way to make money, but to help us hold the property. I prefer a property that can attract rental, such that as long as the rent is enough to cover the installments and potential future interest hike, that is good enough. The only way to make money from a property investment is when we invest ahead of some potential developments to the place that will cause the price to increase. So for that matter, perhaps Bedok town centre area (no condos yet) or Jurong East might be good to invest in, though I often wonder who will rent the apartment from me if I buy there - will expats want to stay in the neighbourhood? I am not experienced enough to understand the demography of the tenants in these areas so I tend to prefer buying a reasonably new condo where I can physically see the space and the people living there.

That's why I look at central (expensive), north (too far. will I really attract tenants?), south (expensive), west (too near construction industry, not exactly cheap and not much lifestyle attractions), east (expensive, but not that expensive yet. no mrt yet for most stretch of east coast). - i ended up looking seriously at East Coast in the end.

hmm.... very hard to say actually (at least for me). That's because MBS is such a massive project that it takes so much more effort to build something of the same scale elsewhere, taking into consideration all other infrastructure and businesses around the area like Esplanade theatres, the F1 pit, Gardens by the Bay. And we have not really seen the full scale of this development because of all the construction going on at Marina South. And I am forever extremely curious what they are going to do to that deliciously precious plot of land at Marina East. From the map, it looks as big as a town and is sitting on prime land, though reclaimed. The potential of the entire downtown and a bit towards both east and west is incredible because this is getting to resemble the downtown Manhattan model - prime apartments getting smaller too.

If it is for investment, I feel that rental yield is not the way to make money, but to help us hold the property. I prefer a property that can attract rental, such that as long as the rent is enough to cover the installments and potential future interest hike, that is good enough. The only way to make money from a property investment is when we invest ahead of some potential developments to the place that will cause the price to increase. So for that matter, perhaps Bedok town centre area (no condos yet) or Jurong East might be good to invest in, though I often wonder who will rent the apartment from me if I buy there - will expats want to stay in the neighbourhood? I am not experienced enough to understand the demography of the tenants in these areas so I tend to prefer buying a reasonably new condo where I can physically see the space and the people living there.

That's why I look at central (expensive), north (too far. will I really attract tenants?), south (expensive), west (too near construction industry, not exactly cheap and not much lifestyle attractions), east (expensive, but not that expensive yet. no mrt yet for most stretch of east coast). - i ended up looking seriously at East Coast in the end.

Does anybody here play Monopoly, Singapore edition?
    What is the most expensive property in the Singapore edition?

east coast sounds nice. but the whole area has become a red light district. china mei mei galore there.

haha got out of context, its in response to DaytonaSS post on BRANDED PRADA....Oops.....

I value the experience of the seniors in that era - they are in a time of uncertainty. Those people who make it big in property have guts and foresight.

SG to become Switzerland of the East. Lets hope.

switzerland of the east ?

in what sense ?

no NS ?
    high salary?
    high tax?
    short work hr?
    make watch?
    ski resorts ?
    send a few NS men to guard Vatican ?

what abt switzerland we trying to emulate?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Let me get this straight.
    Assuming you pay 200k for a $1mil condo, take loan 80% for 20 years.
    Assuming the rental can fully cover mortgage + other expenses, so that in 20 years, the loan is fully repaid.

so in 20 years time, fully paid up, and if sell at $900k, you still make 900k-200k = 700k profit? instead of 100k loss.
    Since your initial cash outlay is 200k.

Let me chew on this.
    What a foreign concept
    Still chewing on this.
    Anybody here with accountancy or economics background?
    What does an accountant say about the profit?
    What does an economist say about the profit?
    is it profit of 700k or loss 100k?

Still chewing on this.
    nid to calculate the annual pct returns.....see whether above inflation anot....to me anything beats inflation is a winner

the next "potential" area will be jurong lake district. is unpolish but taking shape

Still chewing on this.
    You did not factor in inflation or the opportunity cost of money.

If we assume inflation rate at 3% per annum, your 200k compounded value would be $361,222.25. If you sold higher, its a profit, lower, no, at is net position.

A 1 million property sold for $900k after 20 years, I will grab. Where to find? It's a loser for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    the next "potential" area will be jurong lake district. is unpolish but taking shape
    but i see it more transforming into another changi biz park/jurong biz park leh

u see simei/tanah merah condos near changi biz park....to me not much effect leh....more indian tenants nia.....10 viewing, 6-8 is indian family....

Orchard Road only "cool" to those teenagers or adults with no cars. Most drivers avoid such places and prefer areas with ample parking and far from the annoying teenage beng crowd to chill-out. Next time u ask around for "chill-out" places and the no-car crowd will always suggest places "near MRT station" like Orchard Ion and those with cars will prefer the Dempsey and ulu places like Riders Cafe to chill out. Even the restaurants or foodcourts at Ion/313 is like sub-standard and mainly catering to the less discerning crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    There are simply too many choices now! There is no way u can get tired of any 1 place, cos u got no chance to!! too little time, too many new shopping centers to visit. I love places like VIVO city, Dempsy hill, orchard emerald drinking belt, RWS and maybe in time to come MBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    Orchard Road only "cool" to those teenagers or adults with no cars. Most drivers avoid such places and prefer areas with ample parking and far from the annoying teenage beng crowd to chill-out. Next time u ask around for "chill-out" places and the no-car crowd will always suggest places "near MRT station" like Orchard Ion and those with cars will prefer the Dempsey and ulu places like Riders Cafe to chill out. Even the restaurants or foodcourts at Ion/313 is like sub-standard and mainly catering to the less discerning crowd.
    just recently i discovered dempsey...tks to the forum....hehe....can see aston, porsche there too but hor, parking can also be a problem there during wkend nites

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    but i see it more transforming into another changi biz park/jurong biz park leh

u see simei/tanah merah condos near changi biz park....to me not much effect leh....more indian tenants nia.....10 viewing, 6-8 is indian family....
    is more of biz plus entertainment leh.....for investment purpose (unless short term flipper) i personally think can buy into the jurong lake district idea. this should be different for changi biz park which is solely for biz purpose.

is more of biz plus entertainment leh.....for investment purpose (unless short term flipper) i personally think can buy into the jurong lake district idea. this should be different for changi biz park which is solely for biz purpose.
    but nid to buy FH to hold on for the transformation wor...or shd be flipping based on stories liao

but nid to buy FH to hold on for the transformation wor...or shd be flipping based on stories liao
    is there FH in OCR?
    if there is and it is rare, is the premium for FH OCR bigger % against LH OCR than premium for FH CCR against LH CCR?
    since FH is rarer in OCR than CCR?

is there FH in OCR?
    if there is and it is rare, is the premium for FH OCR bigger % against LH OCR than premium for FH CCR against LH CCR?
    since FH is rarer in OCR than CCR?
    D5 mainly FH....

Was at ion orchard the other weekend. Holding my 3 year old's hand and because of her height, there were these obnoxious ladies with their big handbags slung by their side who hardly noticed my young one and one handbag even struck my kid's forehead. And not even a word of apology! That is one place I hate to go, and if it weren't for the orchard station, I won't have even gone near there.

The crowd just isn't suitable for young kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    Was at ion orchard the other weekend. Holding my 3 year old's hand and because of her height, there were these obnoxious ladies with their big handbags slung by their side who hardly noticed my young one and one handbag even struck my kid's forehead. And not even a word of apology! That is one place I hate to go, and if it weren't for the orchard station, I won't have even gone near there.

Won't recommend to go to Orchard Road for shopping unless for buying luxury goods. Now suburbs malls can offer much at lower cost than Orchard Road malls minus the crowd. I haven't gone to Orchard Road to shop for more than 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Won't recommend to go to Orchard Road for shopping unless for buying luxury goods. Now suburbs malls can offer much at lower cost than Orchard Road malls minus the crowd. I haven't gone to Orchard Road to shop for more than 4 years.
    same here....totally nvr tink of driving into orchard....only visit once when ION is open....lol....i feel like a foreigner there!!! better stay at my heartland malls b4 i get 'lost' in SG

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Wah, your type of incident always happen when I go to heartland malls lei. Worst still, just there for an hour already meet so many rude and uncivilised people. Way worse experience. Thought heartland malls should be more spacious since the place cheap to build but nowsadays why so cramped and people so uncivilised?

Quote Originally Posted by kane

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Wah, your type of incident always happen when I go to heartland malls lei. Worst still, just there for an hour already meet so many rude and uncivilised people. Way worse experience. Thought heartland malls should be more spacious since the place cheap to build but nowsadays why so cramped and people so uncivilised?
    but u aso cannot stop uncilvilised ppl to shop at PRIME PRIME orchard road rite....hehe

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I didn't say I can stop uncivilised people from shopping in prime orchard? But what is the difference if you quote something that cannot be peculiar to a certain place? 1 thing for sure - those places with lots of foreign unskilled/semi-skilled workers not so civilized lah (and they tend to live around and hang around shopping in heartland malls than orchard expensive malls).

but u aso cannot stop uncilvilised ppl to shop at PRIME PRIME orchard road rite....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I didn't say I can stop uncivilised people from shopping in prime orchard? But what is the difference if you quote something that cannot be peculiar to a certain place? 1 thing for sure - those places with lots of foreign unskilled/semi-skilled workers not so civilized lah (and they tend to live around and hang around shopping in heartland malls than orchard expensive malls).

uncivilised people everywhere lah .. just some wear nicer clothes (CCR) ..some dress like Falungkung lookalike outfit (non CCR)

only our infra structures are improving ...other aspects are moving backward

plebians are plebians, no matter where they are - heartland malls or posh shopping centers.

Amongst all the malls in orchard, Ion has the highest density of plebians in the basements as not only is that area the hub for the rest of singapore coming into orchard via public transport, but the makeup of the shops there too.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    switzerland of the east ?

in what sense ?

no NS ?
    high salary?
    high tax?
    short work hr?
    make watch?
    ski resorts ?
    send a few NS men to guard Vatican ?

what abt switzerland we trying to emulate?
    Switzerland of the east ~

NS men playing computer game
    Tonnes of cash rich people buying property and not staying.
    Super high property price
    High salary for the civil servants
    People without full time job yet able to self generate income.
    Flexible work hours
    Ang Bao of 20k from Ah Gong to citizen every year. J
    More casinos

Its all about $ and $ to continue rolling in. Lets hope.

As early has 2001. URA has identified 3 regional centres in 2001 Concept Plan. Tampines, Woodlands and Jurong East (reincarnated as Jurong Lake District). Of the 3, Tampines seems to be the most developed. Yet Tampines is still tampines... not orchard road. Prices are no where near CCR.

What is so different about Jurong Lake that makes it different from Tampines?

Maybe, should start looking at Woodlands... the most unsung of the 3 regional centres....