Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLA to acquire 600,000 sq ft of land

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default SLA to acquire 600,000 sq ft of land

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...22538,00.html?

Published January 20, 2011

SLA to acquire 600,000 sq ft of land

By FELDA CHAY

(SINGAPORE) The Singapore Land Authority (SLA) yesterday announced that it is acquiring some 600,000 square feet of land for the construction of the first stage of the North South Expressway - stretching from Admiralty Road West to Toa Payoh Rise.

Market observers say this is its first major compulsory land acquisition in about a decade. The last time it bought land on such a large scale was in 2001, when it acquired about 860,000 sq ft of land to build the Kallang/Paya Lebar Expressway and the second part of the Circle Line. Then, about half of the 126 affected owners of homes, shops and offices in Paya Lebar and Geylang said the amount of money offered by the SLA as compensation was not enough.

An SLA spokesman said compensation will be pegged at market value as at the date of acquisition, in accordance with the provisions of the Land Acquisition Act made in 2007.

A collector's inquiry will be conducted by the Collector of Revenue to determine the quantum of the compensation award. Owners affected by the acquisition will also be asked to submit their claims to the Collector of Revenue.

While the acquisition this time round is unlikely to trigger the sort of discontent that was felt among property owners affected by the 2001 acquisition, market watchers said that the part lots - which are a cut of one plot of land - that are being bought over could create a tricky situation. In its statement, SLA said it will be purchasing 38 full lots and 33 part lots.

Said DTZ Debenham Tie Leung Statutory Valuation executive director Ng Poh Chue: 'If it cuts through part of your building, then what is going to happen?'

Then there is the issue of sentimental value that owners might have for their property, added Ms Ng.

She noted, though, that the government has been 'quite sympathetic' to land owners in such situations, and has been known to make ex-gratia payments in certain cases. An ex-gratia payment is a payout made without the giver recognising any liability or legal obligation, and is done voluntarily.

SLA said all affected owners will be given two years from the date of acquisition to vacate the premises. Its latest acquisition comprises a mixture of residential, industrial and institutional developments.

Separately, the SLA is acquiring some 7,445 sq ft of land forming part of Sabana Shari'ah Compliant Reit's property at 1 Tuas Avenue 4 for road works along Pioneer Road and Tuas Avenue 4 in connection with the Tuas West Mass Rapid Transit extension.

Sabana Real Estate Investment Management (Sabana), the manager of Sabana Reit, yesterday said that the plot represents about 5 per cent of the property's total land area, and that it would not affect its existing building structures there, said Sabana. 'The manager is of the view that as the existing building structures are not affected by the compulsory acquisition, the gross floor area of the building is not affected and there should be no impact on the rental payable by the lessee of the property.'

Sabana will engage a licensed valuer to assess and submit a compensation claim for the affected site.

SLA also stated in its notice that Sabana Reit is entitled to a one-time ex-gratia reimbursement for the preparation of the valuation report, said Sabana.

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_625984.html

Jan 20, 2011

North-South Expressway to ease CTE congestion

Govt to acquire 25 terrace houses, part of Marymount Convent

By Goh Chin Lian

SINGAPORE'S longest road viaduct will be built as part of the 21km North-South Expressway (NSE) which planners expect will slash travelling time from Woodlands to the city by 30 per cent during peak hours.

Work on the expressway - Singapore's 11th and technically the most challenging - is due to start in two years. It should end by 2020 when the already heavily used Central Expressway (CTE), to which it runs parallel, and other major roads are expected to face a capacity crunch.

The bill for the new expressway: $7 billion to $8 billion.

Details of the 15.9km northern section of the NSE, from Admiralty Road West to Toa Payoh Rise, were announced yesterday.

It will comprise an 8.8km viaduct and road tunnels linking estates like Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun, Ang Mo Kio, Bishan and Toa Payoh to the city. It will have largely three lanes each way.

The Government will acquire 38 lots of land entirely and 33 lots partially. They include about 25 terrace houses at Marymount Terrace, and the part of Marymount Convent that houses the living quarters of nuns and a nursing home.

Also affected are industrial land owned by JTC Corporation as well as parts of fences, boundary walls and grass verges of condominiums such as Nuovo, Castle Green, Seletaris and Bullion Park.

The acquired land, gazetted yesterday, is about 5.6ha or the size of eight football fields. This area is larger than the 4.8ha of land acquired for the 12km Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway, which is three-quarters underground, and 3.4ha for the underground MRT Circle Line.

The route of the 5.1km southern section is still being firmed up and will be announced later, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said. It is expected to connect to the East Coast Parkway.

Plans for the North-South Expressway were first unveiled as part of a land transport masterplan two years ago that went beyond building more roads in land-scarce Singapore to improving public transport and moving from taxing vehicle ownership to charging for road usage.

The LTA said it has planned extensively and carefully for the new highway to minimise the impact on the public.

It is banking on the NSE to relieve congestion on the CTE, the only expressway for the north-south corridor that sees heavy traffic from the northern and central parts at peak hours.

While the CTE is on target to be widened to four lanes by the end of this year, the LTA said the roads cannot cope with future growth in traffic as more homes are built in Yishun, Sembawang and Woodlands, and Marina Bay in the city centre becomes developed.

The NSE, which will connect to Seletar Expressway, could also improve traffic flow on major roads like Thomson and Marymount. The LTA estimates it could ease traffic by 10 per cent to 15 per cent on the CTE and major roads.

That is good news for project manager Patrick Liow, 54, who lives in Yishun and drives his daughter to Nanyang Technological University in Jalan Bahar at 8am, before going to his office in Ayer Rajah.

'It's always jammed. Ang Mo Kio, jam. Marymount Road, jam. Lornie Road, jam. Farrer Road, jam,' he said.

'This expressway is long overdue.'

Mr Nicholas Mak, head of research at property consultancy SLP International, estimates the increased accessibility to the city and elsewhere to give a slight lift of 2 per cent to 3 per cent to the values of properties northwards from Toa Payoh.

But homes 10m to 20m from the viaduct, from the first to 11th levels, could see a 5 per cent drop in value. 'It's the noise, dust and unsightly view of vehicles zooming past,' he said.

Some home owners at Marymount Terrace who received acquisition notices yesterday were upset, with at least one bursting into tears at the thought of parting with her long-time neighbours. They have been given two years to move.

Others mulled over their options. Said businessman Wilson Loy, 41, who has lived there for 15 years: 'We don't know where we are going to go but we just hope the compensation is reasonable.'

Members of the public can call the Singapore Land Authority on 6323-9829 on land acquisition issues and the LTA on 1800-CALL-LTA (1800-2255-582) for matters related to the expressway.

[email protected]

Additional reporting by Kimberly Spykerman, Chong Ziliang, Lester Kok and Royston Sim

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_626016.html

Jan 20, 2011

Properties affected

The following will be acquired by the Government:

# Marymount Terrace

This road running parallel to Marymount Road has a row of 26 terrace houses built about 16 years ago. They are near the Circle Line's Marymount MRT station,which is about a five-minute walk away.

# Marymount Convent

Land housing the Good Shepherd Convent, home of the Good Shepherd nuns. However, Marymount Convent School next door will not be affected.

# Condominiums

The Seletaris in Sembawang, as well as the Nuovo, Bullion Park and Castle Green in Yio Chu Kang, will have part of their fences, boundary walls and grass verge acquired.

# Industrial estates

These are owned by JTC and HDB in places like Sin Ming and Woodlands, where companies such as CityCab and 3M Singapore lease space for their operations.

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_626003.html

Jan 20, 2011

Marymount homes to go by 2013

Elderly retiree in tears over news of land acquisition

By Chong Zi Liang & Kimberly Spykerman

Although they had heard the rumours as early as two years ago, the fears of Marymount Terrace residents were finally realised yesterday when government officials turned up to serve land acquisition notices, informing them that their neighbourhood would be demolished for the construction of the North-South Expressway. They will have to leave by January 2013. -- ST PHOTO: ASHLEIGH SIM

TWO years ago, residents of Marymount Terrace heard rumours that their land would be acquired by the Government.

Long-time resident Kevin Tan, 47, said a family had tried to sell their home then but were unable to do so. Checks by the lawyers showed that the land had been earmarked for future redevelopment.

'We were trying to get confirmation of this as early as possible so that we could make plans,' said Mr Tan, who works in the military.

He, together with other neighbours, even approached their mayor Zainudin Nordin to try and pin down the dates.

Yesterday morning, the rumours were proven true when government officials turned up at about 25 terrace houses to serve land acquisition notices, informing residents that their neighbourhood would be demolished for the construction of the North-South Expressway.

When The Straits Times visited the row of three-storey freehold homes along Marymount Road, a notice of land acquisition from the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) was pasted outside every home.

The residents have to move out by January 2013.

Residents were also given a letter informing them that meetings to determine compensation for their properties would be held next month.

It will be pegged to the market value as at the date of the acquisition of the land, said the SLA.

Mr Zainudin, who met residents last week to let them know about the impending acquisition, said he will continue to assist them.

'I will let the authorities know the issues that are pertinent to the residents,' he added.

Marymount Terrace is not the only affected neighbourhood. Condominiums such as Seletaris, Castle Green, Nuovo and Bullion Park in the Yio Chu Kang and Sembawang areas will have parts of their fences, boundary walls and grass verges affected by acquisition - but residents get to keep their homes.

High among the worries of Marymount Terrace residents is hunting for a new home.

'Everyone knows that property prices are so high nowadays, where am I going to find the money to get a new home? All my money is here,' said a resident who wanted to be known only as Mrs Lee, referring to the terrace house she bought 10 years ago.

Said Mr Tan: 'I hope the Government can help us find places to settle down...the market is hot now so we will have to join the queue and I don't know if we can get a place.'

Some residents, like Madam E. Koh, 67, found it hard to accept that they would have to leave less than two years after the nearby Marymount MRT station was completed.

'We put up with the drilling and pounding for years. Just as we are about to enjoy the convenience, this happens,' said the retiree.

Then, there is the pain of cutting ties with a familiar area.

One resident in her 80s, who asked to be known only as Madam Ho, sobbed when she heard the news.

Her first thought was how she would not be able to visit her neighbour every day for coffee and a chat once they no longer live side by side.

'It's hard for senior citizens like us to move around. After 16 years of living together, it's hard to just let go,' she said.

At the Marymount Convent, the living quarters of the Good Shepherd nuns and a nursing home are affected.

The nuns said they were 'grieving' at the prospect of losing their home. They declined to say more.

They held a meeting yesterday to discuss future plans. It is understood that the Marymount Convent School - within the convent's grounds - will not be affected.

Once the folks at Marymount Convent and Marymount Terrace leave, excavation will begin to build part of the North-South Expressway tunnel.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Those condos with the part of their land acquired will be literally living right beside a dustry and noisy expressway. The "semi" open air tunnel are the worst with all the noise and dust filtering directly into their homes.

hopefully, they have the sense to build the sections next to the residential area underground.

No. Confirm a large part is either viaduct, semi-tunnel or ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    hopefully, they have the sense to build the sections next to the residential area underground.

jia lat... whether is tunnel or viaduct the end product does not enhance any of the affected properties' value

Living next to viaduct is the worse because of double layer traffic that multiplies the noise & dust level by 2 from what you are currently experiencing. I note that this expressway is close to the Woodlands checkpoint and might be connected to Ayer Rajar expressway (linking ports + heavy industries), so it might be often used by heavy trucks. I would sell my property now if it is directly next to the new expressway.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    Living next to viaduct is the worse because of double layer traffic that multiplies the noise & dust level by 2 from what you are currently experiencing. I note that this expressway is close to the Woodlands checkpoint and might be connected to Ayer Rajar expressway (linking ports + heavy industries), so it might be often used by heavy trucks. I would sell my property now if it is directly next to the new expressway.
    Agred. Living just beside an expressway is no fun. If underground, maybe no effect.

If above ground or "semi-opened", I think no pt staying put. Maybe this will have significant downward pressure on the selling price. It is quite sad cos projects like Nuovo and Castle-green are not bad. Quite near to AMK in terms of location... now, maybe fire sales will happen haha

So fast today got people in Castle Green selling his 'fantastic' unit

http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...e-castle-green

Quote Originally Posted by fooblackie
    Agred. Living just beside an expressway is no fun. If underground, maybe no effect.

If above ground or "semi-opened", I think no pt staying put. Maybe this will have significant downward pressure on the selling price. It is quite sad cos projects like Nuovo and Castle-green are not bad. Quite near to AMK in terms of location... now, maybe fire sales will happen haha
    correct manz. That the reason my the Infiniti prices can't climb as fast and as high VS botannia and carabelle due to aye issue

In terms of cost: Tunnel is most expensive and follow by semi-tunnel, viaduct and road level. Also governs by existing constraints and future plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    No. Confirm a large part is either viaduct, semi-tunnel or ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by jwong71
    correct manz. That the reason my the Infiniti prices can't climb as fast and as high VS botannia and carabelle due to aye issue
    AYE also stops me from buying Infiniti during the preview...tink almost all the units there r affected by AYE....i was there for few hrs until i give up...infiniti was the 1st plot if i m not wrong...see potential therer but jus cant accept AYE

and when botannia launched...consider vy ex at tat time.....

Another scary thing is the connection between the southern tip of the N-S Expressway from Tao Payoh Rise to East Coast. LTA can't confirm the area concerned yet, but a large swath of land is going to be affected........

but the other thing is, the first part to toa payoh rise already going to take till 2020? by the time connect to east coast another 10 years? 2030?

Quote Originally Posted by avo7007
    Another scary thing is the connection between the southern tip of the N-S Expressway from Tao Payoh Rise to East Coast. LTA can't confirm the area concerned yet, but a large swath of land is going to be affected........

in the end carabelle was the best value at launch prices. staling is correct on that hee.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    AYE also stops me from buying Infiniti during the preview...tink almost all the units there r affected by AYE....i was there for few hrs until i give up...infiniti was the 1st plot if i m not wrong...see potential therer but jus cant accept AYE

and when botannia launched...consider vy ex at tat time.....

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    but the other thing is, the first part to toa payoh rise already going to take till 2020? by the time connect to east coast another 10 years? 2030?
    I don't so, all indications is that the whole line from Admiralty Rd to East Coast Parkway will be completed in 2020. There will probably be a second annoucement to specify the affected area from Toa Payoh Rise to East Coast later......

The residents around that stretch must be waiting in bated breath - who will be the next victim who's gonna live right beside the expressway?

I don't so, all indications is that the whole line from Admiralty Rd to East Coast Parkway will be completed in 2020. There will probably be a second annoucement to specify the affected area from Toa Payoh Rise to East Coast later......

hmm. but if construction only starts in 2013 then it might be a bit tough to do the whole stretch in 7 years. the next part may cut through even more dense population zones and would likely take quite a bit of time i feel.

some of the condos in D15 and 16 will take a hit. I hope the extension will take out the entire geylang district.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    I hope the extension will take out the entire geylang district.
    y? den chicks move to?

y? den chicks move to?
    hopefully, orchard road. it makes sense for many reasons:

(1) economies of scale: there are already many chick dens at orchard. orchard tower, for example.

(2) proximity to high end, low-brow clientele, who live in those shiny, castle-in-the-cloud condos along the stretch.

(3) make orchard a comprehensive playground for the rich and famous. "your concierges can fetch hookers of up to 20 different nationalities" the advertisements for the condos there may say.

Please don't touch the chickens - they are there for a reason.

y? den chicks move to?

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Please don't touch the chickens - they are there for a reason.
    jus making some fun here....anyw impossible for NSE to cut thru geylang

I wasn't joking about the chicken coop!
    Keep them there - close and central.
    Maybe in 15-20 years ...don't play with me on this ... anything but this...

jus making some fun here....anyw impossible for NSE to cut thru geylang

where do you think the expressway might go after braddel and marymount? I looks like it will cut through toa payou and go by Novena Square.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    hmm. but if construction only starts in 2013 then it might be a bit tough to do the whole stretch in 7 years. the next part may cut through even more dense population zones and would likely take quite a bit of time i feel.
    If they managed to complete NSE (21km) in 7 years, that's actually amazing considering that KPE which is 12km long is completed in 7 yrs.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Don't worry, Orchard rental too expensive, not much extra land for them to build chicken coops + police patroling everyday to make the place safe, so will shooo them away since Istana also nearby and many VVVIPs will pass by Orchard.

May be your D5 is the best place? Lots of land available to build new chicken coops that will definitely be cheap because of cheap and abundant land, many PRCs living in that area (they are famous for these kind of jobs - They are known to rent a place and rotate new people from China to Singapore every few months once their visa expire). Think you will love that since always hoping that Geylang chicken coops will shift to some place that is most convenient and central for you to visit? No problem, some of them will shift into some units in your condo estate as well for your convenience!

hopefully, orchard road. it makes sense for many reasons:

(1) economies of scale: there are already many chick dens at orchard. orchard tower, for example.

(2) proximity to high end, low-brow clientele, who live in those shiny, castle-in-the-cloud condos along the stretch.

(3) make orchard a comprehensive playground for the rich and famous. "your concierges can fetch hookers of up to 20 different nationalities" the advertisements for the condos there may say.

some of the condos in D15 and 16 will take a hit. I hope the extension will take out the entire geylang district.
    Looking at google map... to call it North South Expressway, it must connect North to South. But D15 or even 16? There are already 4 expressway serving that side.... PIE, CTE (to a certain extent), KPE, ECP, TPE and the new MCE (Marina Coastal Expressway, which extends KPE right round Marina Bay to Prince Edward Road exit).

So, i think they could do it by splitting at Braddell Road
    1. Extend one end to Thomson road and join PIE and CTE.
    2. The other end move along Lornie Road, Adam Road, Farrer Road, Queensway, Portsdown Road and ends at connecting AYE.

All Expressways are connecting to another expressways.... so this is my bet.

So, from Braddell to Thomson connecting PIE & CTE, it's a short distance only, probably underground.
    Splitting at Lornie side, they will probably build a 3 lane per direction via duct flyover all the way to AYE... parallel to the existing road. Like how Upper Serangoon and Telok Blangah is right now.

just my speculation.... in this case, no major property will be affected, and probably less costly for LTA as well.
    Last edited by Exeehc; 21-01-11 at 16:09.