Thread: Possibility of interest rate increase after Apr 2011

Default Possibility of interest rate increase after Apr 2011

一些亚洲国家或将进入加息期

2011-02-03 07:55 来源:文新传媒
        新加坡总理李显龙2日表示,预计未来数月新加坡通胀将加剧,今年晚些时候方能企稳。此间金融界人士认为,这可能预示着东南亚一些面临通胀压力的国家在今后一段时期将进入加息期。

新加坡亚洲新闻频道电视台网站的报道说,新加坡央行在4月加息的机会将增加。由于1月份的物价涨幅超过预期,印尼央行也可能会在近期调整其去年保持利息不变的政策,泰国央行也因物价涨速加快而采取继续加息的措施。

李显龙还分析了通胀的原因。

他认为,外部因素正推高包括新加坡在内的亚洲国家消费物价。近期油价上扬,导致汽油、柴油及电价俱升。同时,个别国家的天灾破坏了粮食生产,令食品价格上涨。

国际货币基金组织总裁多米尼克・斯特劳斯―卡恩1日在新加坡发表演讲时也谈到了加息的问题。他说,新兴经济体虽然较平稳地度过了危机,但面临经济过热甚至是“硬着陆”风险。

卡恩认为,一些亚洲国家最近采取的加息政策方向是正确的。

http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2011/02/03/9189097.html

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    一些亚洲国家或将进入加息期

2011-02-03 07:55 来源:文新传媒
        新加坡总理李显龙2日表示,预计未来数月新加坡通胀将加剧,今年晚些时候方能企稳。此间金融界人士认为,这可能预示着东南亚一些面临通胀压力的国家在今后一段时期将进入加息期。

新加坡亚洲新闻频道电视台网站的报道说,新加坡央行在4月加息的机会将增加。由于1月份的物价涨幅超过预期,印尼央行也可能会在近期调整其去年保持利息不变的政策,泰国央行也因物价涨速加快而采取继续加息的措施。

李显龙还分析了通胀的原因。

他认为,外部因素正推高包括新加坡在内的亚洲国家消费物价。近期油价上扬,导致汽油、柴油及电价俱升。同时,个别国家的天灾破坏了粮食生产,令食品价格上涨。

国际货币基金组织总裁多米尼克・斯特劳斯―卡恩1日在新加坡发表演讲时也谈到了加息的问题。他说,新兴经济体虽然较平稳地度过了危机,但面临经济过热甚至是“硬着陆”风险。

卡恩认为,一些亚洲国家最近采取的加息政策方向是正确的。

http://news.xinmin.cn/rollnews/2011/02/03/9189097.html
    Literally translated with some errors.
    Some Asian countries to hike interest rates

2 Feb 2011 - Singapore's Prime Minister said Singapore's inflation in the next few months will intensify before stabilizing later this year. Financial community here believes that this may indicate that some Southeast Asian countries are facing inflationary pressures and is likely to increase interest rates.

Channel NewsAsia reported that Singapore's central bank is likely to raise interest rates in April. Since January this year, prices rose more than expected.

Indonesia's central bank may adjust in the near future but will maintain the policy interest rate unchanged.

The Bank of Thailand is quicker to take measures and raise interest rates because prices continues to rise.

PM Lee also analysed the causes of inflation.

He believes that external factors are pushing Asian countries' consumer prices higher. This includes Singapore. The recent rise in the cost of oil led gasoline, diesel and electricity prices to increase. While natural disasters in some countries destroyed food production which also resulted in rising food prices.

International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss Kahn talked about the rate hike issue at a speech in Singapore recently. He said that although the emerging economies tided through the crisis relatively smoothly, they still face possibilities of economic overheating and even in "hard landing".

Kahn believed that some Asian countries are in the right direction by adopting the policy rate hikes recently.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Time to sell bank stocks liao...

Quote Originally Posted by med80009
    Time to sell bank stocks liao...
    Why sell bank stocks when interest rate increase? Thought it is good news for bank that interest rate increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar
    Why sell bank stocks when interest rate increase? Thought it is good news for bank that interest rate increase?
    Just my interpretation, may be wrong, but i would assume our local banks derived a rather significant part of their profit from mortgage (need to read the prospectus again ..). When interest rate goes up, compounded with the cooling measures i think the overall no. of loans would be reduced and there may be limited growth in this sector.

Of course you are right that there may be a large no. of people that are on some non-fixed rate loan and when interest goes up, so does their profit. Nonetheless, it could be argued that the no. of non-performing loans may go up as well if people can't pay up.

Just my opinion la.. i'm no analyst...