Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telok kurau vs Tanah Merah

Default Telok kurau vs Tanah Merah

Gong Hei Fatt Choy to all!
    Im a 1st time buyer looking for my dream home.After a year of searching,finally i've round down to 2 projects,one in Telok Kurau the other in Tanah Merah.

Both are about the same size, however one is FH and the other LH.

Price wise, TK unit is slightly higher by about 50k.

Location! TM has an existing MRT, nearer to amenities. TK unit is not so accessible, about 1.6km - 2km away from Kembangan MRT and Parkway Parade.

Both areas are exclusive for private housing only. Although one is D15 another is D17.

Which one will u choose???

Quote Originally Posted by Chillyred888
    Im a 1st time buyer looking for my dream home.After a year of searching,finally i've round down to 2 projects,one in Telok Kurau the other in Tanah Merah.

Location! TM has an existing MRT, nearer to amenities. TK unit is not so accessible, about 1.6km - 2km away from Kembangan MRT and Parkway Parade.

Both areas are exclusive for private housing only. Although one is D15 another is D17.

I will choose TM. That area is located more conveniently and while not holding the prestigious D15 tag, is actually faster to town if you factor in all the traveling time via MRT (cos in TK you'll need to take bus)

TK used to be nice, but too many MMs and boutique developments are spoiling the serenity - and the traffic is quite terrible at times.Not very convenient if you ask me.

I am assuming you are comparing a full-fledged condo in TM versus a boutique (less than 100 units) one in TK?

I suggest, u have a cooling period first, as it is now more of a buyer market. U need first to decide, whether is it time to buy?

Go to the two projects more often, bring along your family, see the neighbourhood, how convenient there are in term of family living and life style.

If u are looking for a place to stay, draw up what are the criteria in buying first, give weight to all the considerations,

I buy property faster than buying my LED TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    I suggest, u have a cooling period first, as it is now more of a buyer market. U need first to decide, whether is it time to buy?

Go to the two projects more often, bring along your family, see the neighbourhood, how convenient there are in term of family living and life style.

If u are looking for a place to stay, draw up what are the criteria in buying first, give weight to all the considerations,

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainer32007
    Cos LED TV is depreciating asset

a few considerations:
    1. you must like the place - what does your heart tell you?
    2. which one has better upside in the future? even then, you must still like it! refer to point 1 again.
    3. which one does the whole family like?
    4. convenience to amenities are very important - TM is nearer to many.
    5. wait for better offer or buy soon? every place has its price at that moment in time - make your offer and carry on from there - if the discount (if any) is good, you may want to accept the tradeoff in other regards.

so all are very personal considerations.
    may be better to list them down, though sometimes that 1 important consideration may veto all the many others.

Quote Originally Posted by nobrainer32007
    That's quite funny but true

I have bought and sold more properties than my TV. (Let me rephrase that, I bought my TV before my 1st property. The 1st property is sold and have since bought others. That TV is still with me).

My TV is still one of those big boxes that's still working perfectly. I am refusing to get a new one until it breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    That's quite funny but true

I have bought and sold more properties than my TV. (Let me rephrase that, I bought my TV before my 1st property. The 1st property is sold and have since bought others. That TV is still with me).

My TV is still one of those big boxes that's still working perfectly. I am refusing to get a new one until it breaks down.
    Then i buy and sell properties more often than buy new underwear liao...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    You win lah.

Which part of TM? I tot TM is D16... Hmmm suddenly durians come to mind... Anyway if need to be near prestigious TNS...then obvious choice is TK...

FH or LH. Do you intend to sell this property few years later or is this the last? LH will lose value as it gets older, if you don't intend to move, then it doesn't matter, unless you intend to leave it to your kids.

Pricewise, FH is worth the 50k

Location. Do you drive? If you do, the MRT distance is immaterial.

TK is presumed to be low rise, while TM is highrise. That's personal preference. views?

If you don't mind, can share with us which 2 developments you are comparing against?
    IMO, its hard to compare as one TK mostly small apartments and TM are condos.
    If you prefer to be near the MRT, there are also lors G and H in TK where you can consider. There are some apartments there that are less than 500m to Kembangan MRT.
    Aside frm train accessibility, are there other factors you are considering? Such as Schools,, proximity to beaches and etc?
    Share with us so that we can better give our inputs.

Not considering kembangan? Lengkong xxxxxx. 10min walk to mrt and about same location as TK..

Hi guys, thank you for all the replies.

I don't think i will sell this property and will probably stay there as long as i can. I drive, but my wife doesn't. Be near to schools is not our priority.

And yes, it is a boutique condo (Lorong M) vs Optima. Both has pretty good sized facilities. Afterall we just need the gym, pool and bbq pit.

We love the ideal square, glass panel balcony at TK. It is facing the road and nice landed houses, yet half hidden, got privacy!
    TM's unit (mid to high floor) has only a planter (got sliding door access) that is facing Casa Merah, pretty quiet.

Location wise, D15 seems like a better bet (prestious and freehold), TK might have a future MRT in 2020. TM currently has an MRT but its L99, but it has an upcoming mall beside it.

In times of crisis, do u think TM or TK has a better yield, in terms of renting or selling?

Cool

Hi guys, thank you for all the replies.

I don't think i will sell this property and will probably stay there as long as i can. I drive, but my wife doesn't. Be near to schools is not our priority.

And yes, it is a boutique condo (Lorong M) vs Optima. Both has pretty good sized facilities. Afterall we just need the gym, pool and bbq pit.

We love the ideal square, glass panel balcony at TK. It is facing the road and nice landed houses, yet half hidden, got privacy!
    TM's unit (mid to high floor) has only a planter (got sliding door access) that is facing Casa Merah, pretty quiet.

Location wise, D15 seems like a better bet (prestious and freehold), TK might have a future MRT in 2020. TM currently has an MRT but its L99, but it has an upcoming mall beside it.

In times of crisis, do u think TM or TK has a better yield, in terms of renting or selling?
    optima definitely easier to rent out whether crisis or no crisis..
    overall,i find that optima is still the better choice,FH or LH doesnt matter..eg:mandarin gardens is still so sought after even though its 30yrs old already.
    the boutique condo in lorong M is not convenient at all,its all long walk to the main road if u dont drive n also minimal amenities nearby..
    u should also consider kembangan area 'astoria park or trumps.' both have mrt at their doorsteps plus many eateries around that area..over there,u must get the units facing away from the track..
    imo,i find that kembangan is a better area than TM or TK..

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500
    overall,i find that optima is still the better choice,FH or LH doesnt matter..eg:mandarin gardens is still so sought after even though its 30yrs old already.
    the boutique condo in lorong M is not convenient at all,its all long walk to the main road if u dont drive n also minimal amenities nearby..
    u should also consider kembangan area 'astoria park or trumps.' both have mrt at their doorsteps plus many eateries around that area..over there,u must get the units facing away from the track..
    its a matter of listening to my heart vs logic thinking as an investor..i love the TK project as its quite laid back and serene(only 23 units)and love love the beautiful Balcony anytime better that optima's planter.

i agree,location wise kembangan is anytime better den TM,but there is no new project and i have seen the Trumps and AStoria,don't really like these 2 projects though

If Tk has a potential future mrt station(likely to be along Still road?)i don't mind going for it,as the only difference now is that TM provide that transport convenience.

any idea if TK mrt station is confirm in the latest Eastern line master plan?

Mandarin garden different story. Got seaview, big site and high potential for en bloc.

I don't think i will sell this property and will probably stay there as long as i can. I drive, but my wife doesn't.

TK better, TK is FH mah.

i buy property online... when i am not even in singapore

I should assume u buy and sell properties regularly then. I'm curious whether u ever get assessed on your gains?

FH ppty better in long run. U sure u wana stay 'beside' the mrt? unless u dun drive.. if not.. forget abt it... its seriousli very very annoying with the mrt noise. LRT is different.. almost unnoticeable.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    Mandarin garden different story. Got seaview, big site and high potential for en bloc.
    its not different story,story is still the same...mandarin gardens is popular cos the location is good..as long as location is good,the property will be popular regardless of its age even if its LH..
    en bloc not likely the next few years for mandarin gardens according to my friend who is staying there.
    ultimately in today's context,LH or FH doesnt really matter anymore imo..location is most important.

its a matter of listening to my heart vs logic thinking as an investor..i love the TK project as its quite laid back and serene(only 23 units)and love love the beautiful Balcony anytime better that optima's planter.

i agree,location wise kembangan is anytime better den TM,but there is no new project and i have seen the Trumps and AStoria,don't really like these 2 projects though

If Tk has a potential future mrt station(likely to be along Still road?)i don't mind going for it,as the only difference now is that TM provide that transport convenience.

any idea if TK mrt station is confirm in the latest Eastern line master plan?
    The estimated location of the future MRT is actually at one end of the TK road. So most of the TK unit owners have to walk around 10-15 min to the station - a tedious walk because most pathways are very narrow and unsheltered.

Location Location Location...very near Mrt,further from city but LH is a better choice?

or future MRT (walk 10-15mins) yet nearer to city, yet FH....?

its not different story,story is still the same...mandarin gardens is popular cos the location is good..as long as location is good,the property will be popular regardless of its age even if its LH..
    en bloc not likely the next few years for mandarin gardens according to my friend who is staying there.
    ultimately in today's context,LH or FH doesnt really matter anymore imo..location is most important.
    for mandarin gardens there is no mrt,no nearby amenities (within walking distance) how do u justify Good Location?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpepperj
    I should assume u buy and sell properties regularly then. I'm curious whether u ever get assessed on your gains?
    As long as not exceed 4 times per year it is ok...

I think Mandarin Garden's good cos the land is big plus its just beside the sea... and easily accessible to many good schools.
    TK will have a MRT, many already predicted its location.
    I have personally considered Lor M before, visited nearly all the boutique apartments there...nearly bought 1 but offer was rejected and unwilling to bulge on price. Agree that the area is serene, peaceful and quiet in the morning.
    There are various factors that you can consider.
    Location (proximity to amenities), rental yield (in future), resale value, environment, developer, TOP date and etc.

Weigh all these and discuss with your love ones which is more important before making a final decision.

If you are looking at TK, just go for those along lorong g or h. Especially those beside or near the park connector.
    Its very quiet and serene, near TK park and yet very accessible to the mrt (+- 400m). And with all the shophouses along Changi road, food and groceries is not a problem. Plus its FH...

As long as not exceed 4 times per year it is ok...
    I didnt know it is 4 times per year.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=152

Have to consider SSD now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpepperj
    I didnt know it is 4 times per year.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=152

Have to consider SSD now as well.
    Am trying to hint here that people have gotten away buy sell as many as 4 times in a year without being classified as trader...