Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Time

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    TA is between owner and tenant. Agent is redundant. If you know well the leasing process, you can easily do without the agent. However, agents do play a role if you do not have many sources to find tenants, and as the go between if you do not want to be bothered by the tenant at all (e.g. leaks, aircon, fridge, washing machine, water heater problems etc).
    For these "in-between" roles that the agent plays,
    it is not a contractual obligations? It is a "favour" to
    continue relationship?

Quote Originally Posted by ymgsterling
    continue relationship?
    Yes. Also means that they continue to stay in contact with u. When the tenant moves out, they know you'll need another agent to market your unit again.

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Yes. Also means that they continue to stay in contact with u. When the tenant moves out, they know you'll need another agent to market your unit again.
    ditto....

continue relationship?
    unless you are engaging them for property management (fees applicable) especially if you are out station all the time

Default write your own contract

continue relationship?
    if you're scared then you should write your own contract or ask your lawyer to write for you. Tell him what you want and he will draft up an air tight agreement.

The one thing you've to note is most standard contracts by agents don't include your right to terminate the contract. Only the tenant can decide to leave. So if you decided that you want your house back after the minimum period, you cannot give 2 months notice to ask the tenant to go.

Just for that, i've my write my own rental contract.

By the way, my first tenant was a filipino. The agent (who was also quite useless) rented to her, 1 week later, i come to the house, there was 15 people staying there because they partitioned the house into many parts. The best was she wasn't staying there. She "sublet" to others.

So my contract allows me to chase them out and confiscate the rent + deposit if they violate the agreement.
    The ability to chase them out and use the deposit to settle damages was quite good.

I also agree that having a good tenant is utmost important. Sometimes I don't mind even if the rental is slightly less if the tenant is good. Heard so many horror stories about tenants who don't take care of the apartment which they are renting. I know of a landlord whose apartment was once turned into a budget hotel by his tenant. It is important that tenants know that the unit is rented to them alone according to the contract and not any others and that the tenancy agreement can be terminated if found out that there are other occupants.

worst are tenants that are perpetually late with their payment, u have to call 3-4 times very mth before they pay, always have excuse...why late, neighbours complaint about them, always bug you over small little maintenance issue when it is their duty...change light bulb also call u - think you owe them..., come last mth or last 2 mths of tenancy period, did not pay, assume that the deposit will auto offset the remaining mth or remaining 2 mths. Anything damaged, act blur, claim it's wear and tear, your new property handed back to you in shambles , disappear out of country....no recourse...

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    If you want your house to remain in a good condition, then rent only to the caucasians, filipinos or koreans.

If you rent to indians and china folks, be prepared to kiss your good clean apt goodbye. Do it only if you are looking at the rental yield and nothing else
    I have two Indian family tenants, and they take great care of my units. We do check on the units often.

We never rent our property to China folks, too unpredictable behavious, too many relatives from China.

I have super bad experiences with PRC and Filipinos. The whole unit is total disaster. Dirty, filthy. Like a worker's quarter. Really super bad. I can't say for all but my tenants are like non-human. I forfeit 0.5 month for PRC and 1 month for the filipino to clean up and paint the house. After that, sparkling clean.

Japanese is the best. At the end of the contract, he even get a cleaning company to clean up the whole house at his own expenses. Out of goodwill, not required by contract. I thought my unit looks better than what I rent to him. Haha.

going by the comments here, it seems that PRC are generally not corporate lease, hence they can "disappear".
    So is it better to get corporate lease? Is corporate lease more associated with higher rental bracket? meaning rental $3k/mth, individual. Rental $5k/mth, corporate?
    Anybody got experience of PRC on corporate lease?

Does Russians and other Slavic countries make good tenants?

You won't have a 2k difference la. But corporate lease are usually higher. Usually but not guaranteed. Maybe individual 3k, corporate 3.3k. Corporate also less likely for tenant to run away because the company rent from you. They are usually stricter about the terms and conditions with little room for negotiation. Tenant can be replaced as and when the company likes (you rent to a company). Really depends on the agreement but you can just take it that it is higher in rental but have to be careful in the terms and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    going by the comments here, it seems that PRC are generally not corporate lease, hence they can "disappear".
    So is it better to get corporate lease? Is corporate lease more associated with higher rental bracket? meaning rental $3k/mth, individual. Rental $5k/mth, corporate?
    Anybody got experience of PRC on corporate lease?

Does Russians and other Slavic countries make good tenants?

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    You won't have a 2k difference la. But corporate lease are usually higher. Usually but not guaranteed. Maybe individual 3k, corporate 3.3k. Corporate also less likely for tenant to run away because the company rent from you. They are usually stricter about the terms and conditions with little room for negotiation. Tenant can be replaced as and when the company likes (you rent to a company). Really depends on the agreement but you can just take it that it is higher in rental but have to be careful in the terms and conditions.
    That not what I mean, I mean to say, if rental below $3k/month, company give housing allowance and tell employees to find their own housing etc.
    When rental is like $5k/month and above, then company get involved and will provide accomodation for their higher-end employees and use company's name in tenancy agreement.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yes this is the trend now. Previously, companies also provide housing allowance for any amount but seemingly there is a trend that they are paying 50% cash-in-lieu as replacement for those rental allowance below $4k pm. So it is more likely that these people will buy themselves rather than rent at $4k or less pm.

That not what I mean, I mean to say, if rental below $3k/month, company give housing allowance and tell employees to find their own housing etc.
    When rental is like $5k/month and above, then company get involved and will provide accomodation for their higher-end employees and use company's name in tenancy agreement.

Generally, I find the tenants offering higher rentals give you less problems. Those lower rental tenants are the problematic ones...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

That is why I say want to invest in properties, buy those that can rent out for $4k pm and above! (which means CCR properties are preferred vs OCR properties!). $4k pm and below rental will see less and less demand when these foreigners buy their own rather than rent because companies pay cash-in-lieu rather than pay for their rent directly.
    Whenever I say the above I got flamed!
    (Never mind, this is not the first time and I am prepared! ).

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    Generally, I find the tenants offering higher rentals give you less problems. Those lower rental tenants are the problematic ones...

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    That is why I say want to invest in properties, buy those that can rent out for $4k pm and above! (which means CCR properties are preferred vs OCR properties!). $4k pm and below rental will see less and less demand when these foreigners buy their own rather than rent because companies pay cash-in-lieu rather than pay for their rent directly.
    Whenever I say the above I got flamed!
    (Never mind, this is not the first time and I am prepared! ).
    Another reason why I'm sticking to prime locations. Can only afford MMs at the moment, which also give me decent yields. Through rental less than 4k, but tenants are single professionals, never give me any problems.....

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    I bought my unit from a local who has had tenanted to a japanese couple. I'm extremely lucky as the jap's couple maintain the condo unit.

When I took over the unit from the tenants (conincindentally, the Jap also end the contracts two days before I took over), the Jap's wife washed and ironed all sofa's covers and curtains. She even vacuum and wash the whole house. She also arranged the aircons serviced and she even leave a note informing us that she still have two more services left with her contract with Gain City (me save $$$) and has had asked me to contact Gain city for service arrangement when service due.

When I took over, it's totally dust free. Jap's couple would be my first choice wor...
    Japanese families are great, but the single Japanese is a different story. My friend used to be flatmate with a single Japanese lady, and her room was so messy.. half empty beer cans not cleared many days, room full of dust and hair, things strewn around etc, it was like a tornado just hit the room. Another friend of mine also had similar encounter. Nightmarish man

Quote Originally Posted by plastic
    Japanese families are great, but the single Japanese is a different story. My friend used to be flatmate with a single Japanese lady, and her room was so messy.. half empty beer cans not cleared many days, room full of dust and hair, things strewn around etc, it was like a tornado just hit the room. Another friend of mine also had similar encounter. Nightmarish man
    messy japanese man + messy japanese woman = neat japanese couple

messy japanese man + messy japanese woman = neat japanese couple
    messy japanese man + messy japanese woman = messy japanese babies

What is the definition for;

1) Fully furnished?
    2) Partially furnished?

What is the %age price difference between the 2?

What is the definition for;

1) Fully furnished?
    2) Partially furnished?

What is the %age price difference between the 2?
    not much diff as i noe u will only provide cheap cheap furnitures....

interesting read:

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=36721#10

Who Will You NOT Rent Your House/Flat To? - 11-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Garfieldcat vbmenu_register("postmenu_557888", true);

During our CNY gathering, a friend of mine was telling us that she had to literally "Spring Clean" her whole house (the condo unit which she rented out). She not only clean out most of the items but also her tenants (a group of 3 PRC gals working in KTV).

She told us that when she went to the unit to collect the overdued rental, she had the biggest shock in her life. The gals were making "jia zi" in the bedroom, using the dressing table as a table to make the dough. She then decided to take a look around the house and almost fainted by what she saw. The bathrooms and toilets were full of stains and hair, the bedrooms smelled damp (the doors were opened), the living room was full of empty food wrappers and the worst nightmare was in the kitchen. The floor and stove were stained and sticky and when she opened the cover of the wok and pots, there were underwears soaking inside!

She called the agent immediately and told her what happened that she is taking the unit back, giving the tenants 1 month notice to move. The agent, after witnessing the mess herself, told the tenants to move and the deposit forfieted to pay for the cleaning of the unit. After they moved out, my friend threw away all the utensils and crockery in the kitchen as she doesn't know which are the ones that was used to soak underwears.

If your unit can be rented out, who will you prefer as a tenant and who will you not rent it to.

I forgive those who blemish me because not all men can take rejections gracefully.

Re: Who Will You NOT Rent Your House/Flat To? - 11-02-2011, 02:39 PM

not rent out to;

hehehehahaha vbmenu_register("postmenu_557892", true);
    Major contributor

1) PRCs

2) Pinoys

3) Indians

4) Malaysians

5) smickno

6) xinjiapore