Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: condo vs landed property choice

Default condo vs landed property choice

I am really very curious, will anyone choose condo/apt over landed properties assuming not much price differential? It seems like landed is the only way to go and those who cannot afford landed will buy condo? If one can afford landed, they will definitely choose landed for every reasons??

This is an interesting nugget.
    All my friends who grew up in landed (and who can afford landed) are staying in condos. And these bunch add up to ten or so.

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    All my friends who grew up in landed (and who can afford landed) are staying in condos. And these bunch add up to ten or so.
    landed as in terrace house? or higher class of landed.

there are always various lifestyle considerations. capital appreciation (ie money) is not everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ocoloco79
    I am really very curious, will anyone choose condo/apt over landed properties assuming not much price differential? It seems like landed is the only way to go and those who cannot afford landed will buy condo? If one can afford landed, they will definitely choose landed for every reasons??

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    there are always various lifestyle considerations. capital appreciation (ie money) is not everything.
    if you stayed in a landed before, you'll yearn for a condo. And vice versa.

Too many pros and cons of each. (maybe get a townhouse in a condo)

I've asked a multi-millionaire friend and he told me he actually would prefer a well-managed condo than a GCB

to each his own but i find that it's those older generation Singaporeans (who wants people to know they've made it) who buy the landed

younger ones, though they have the budget, prefer better located condos

Smile

Landed for those who want to experience landed as they have yet to experience landed.

After experiencing landed, they wake up, they want to experience cluster housing.

After experiencing clustr housing, they wake up, they want to experience condo.

After experiencing condo, they wake up, they want to experience hdb.

After experiencing hdb, they wake up , they want to experience JB and batam.

After experiencing JB and batam, they give up, they want to experience elsewhere.

Wake up.....

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Landed for those who want to experience landed as they have yet to experience landed.

After experiencing landed, they wake up, they want to experience cluster housing.

After experiencing clustr housing, they wake up, they want to experience condo.

After experiencing condo, they wake up, they want to experience hdb.

After experiencing hdb, they wake up , they want to experience JB and batam.

After experiencing JB and batam, they give up, they want to experience elsewhere.

Wake up.....
    You are full of crap....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Condos in CCR much more expensive than bigger size landed in OCR. If landed so good why those people choose to live in smaller condos in CCR and pay more than the bigger size landed in OCR?

May be you should change your statement to: "if can afford buy CCR, cannot afford buy OCR"?

In any major metropolis, New York, or London. There are high priced condos, more expensive than landed properties in suburbs. Similarly there are equally high priced landed in select estates.

There will be people choosing condos over landed anywhere in the world for various reasons, or vice versa. Can't say one is better over the other regardless of price. It's personal preference.

it all depends
    1. type of condo....vs type of landed
    2. life style

many stayed in the condo, is just from carpark to their units

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Condos in CCR much more expensive than bigger size landed in OCR. If landed so good why those people choose to live in smaller condos in CCR and pay more than the bigger size landed in OCR?

May be you should change your statement to: "if can afford buy CCR, cannot afford buy OCR"?

SUper Hard Core CCR supporter. Maybe you can rename as CCRbear too.

why I chose condo over landed even though I could have gotten a landed for the same price:
    1. hubby & myself grew up in HDB flat and private apt. not used to living in landed. no sense of security
    2. we are lazy folks.......can't imagine having to do our own landscaping, pruning, getting pp to come do painting or fumigation, pest control etc
    3. for that price, all we can get is an old landed which is most likely cramped & tiny. no $$$ for extensive reno and A&A

just my 2 cents' worth

my parents choose condo instead of landed because they like to see scenery. Very hard to get scenery in landed in singapore.

Facilities, facilities, facilities.

Who wants to be buggered by pests from the garden all day long?

most landed have not much view to offer and are too close to the road. Also have to worry about maintenance of leaky roofs etc and no facilities to enjoy. Not forgetting that the property tax for landed is also very high and can't sell to foreigners. This is why many just go for condo.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    why I chose condo over landed even though I could have gotten a landed for the same price:
    1. hubby & myself grew up in HDB flat and private apt. not used to living in landed. no sense of security
    2. we are lazy folks.......can't imagine having to do our own landscaping, pruning, getting pp to come do painting or fumigation, pest control etc
    3. for that price, all we can get is an old landed which is most likely cramped & tiny. no $$$ for extensive reno and A&A

just my 2 cents' worth
    that's y i want to ask gn108 what kind of landed is his friends staying? not all landed are equal.

Can afford landed but wife says to landed cos she is afraid of insects, snakes and any small creatures. She don't even consider ground units in condo or cluster house too citing same reasons too....

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Can afford landed but wife says to landed cos she is afraid of insects, snakes and any small creatures. She don't even consider ground units in condo or cluster house too citing same reasons too....

because we dont have all the time to take care of the landed property in SG. couples are busy working and taking care of their children.
    the maintenance cost is higher as the reasons is obvious plus the cost of maid to clean the house.

so looks like from respones here, unless one is truly rich, can afford gardener and groundkeeping personel to stay together, maybe in a separate servant's quarters away from main house, landed is too much of a hassle for ordinary folks.

Landed gotch no swimming pool, gym, tennis court, club room, MA etc to look after you.

Landed only gotch overgrown trees, pests and insects for company. If you gotch nasty neighbours and you donch live in a GCB or semi-D category, can end up like the Everitt Road neighbours over parking issues.

So what is the obvious choice?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    that's y i want to ask gn108 what kind of landed is his friends staying? not all landed are equal.
    Even for a bungalow (detached house) category got 5 classes lah

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT
    Landed gotch no swimming pool, gym, tennis court, club room, MA etc to look after you.

Landed only gotch overgrown trees, pests and insects for company. If you gotch nasty neighbours and you donch live in a GCB or semi-D category, can end up like the Everitt Road neighbours over parking issues.

Can have "chicks" wor if landed in geylang......

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Can have "chicks" wor if landed in geylang......
    That is true too.

SHOCKING responses! None choose landed .. This thread will make landed appear unattractive haha...

SHOCKING responses! None choose landed .. This thread will make landed appear unattractive haha...
    well, the real landed lovers have no time in this forum

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    well, the real landed lovers have no time in this forum
    Yup. They would always be very busy clearing the garden foilage, getting rid of insects and pests, or negotiating with other owners over parking space

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    Yes i agree with this point. At different points of my life i yearn for different lifestyle as with everyone. I got the opportunity to grow up in landed and now that i am married with a toddler, i look for condo simply because of the facilities. Also, i would like to grow old in a condo because i can have nice landscape to walk around with security in place. So, it depends on where the person comes from really.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear

Cannot afford, buy 1 OCR, can afford can buy 2 OCR?

Quote Originally Posted by Geylang OKT

heard everitt road going to be flooded this weekend wor...

Quote Originally Posted by sufri
    Yes i agree with this point. At different points of my life i yearn for different lifestyle as with everyone. I got the opportunity to grow up in landed and now that i am married with a toddler, i look for condo simply because of the facilities. Also, i would like to grow old in a condo because i can have nice landscape to walk around with security in place. So, it depends on where the person comes from really.
    yah - the space to walk around is much bigger (unless you own GCB) and you don't really need to worry that much about security. If one owns a landed gotta install expensive Cisco system and no neighbours to look out for you...