Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the condos in Opposition Ward

Default What are the condos in Opposition Ward

Anyone know what are the condo in opposition wards? Was having a discussion with colleagues if opposition party wins in your district for a period of 2 terms, i was wondering if it affect the surrounding value. Just a though/discussion.

Anyone can help with some condo names? i like to investigate ......

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    Anyone know what are the condo in opposition wards? Was having a discussion with colleagues if opposition party wins in your district for a period of 2 terms, i was wondering if it affect the surrounding value. Just a though/discussion.

Anyone can help with some condo names? i like to investigate ......
    u can analyze condos ard potong pasir mrt....

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    u can analyze condos ard potong pasir mrt....
    they anyhow cut the place, can be sure all condo near mrt is opposition?

they anyhow cut the place, can be sure all condo near mrt is opposition?
    does it really matter for pte ppty? even if its not under opposition....ppl will perceive them to be anyway...

let us noe ur verdict yay

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    does it really matter for pte ppty? even if its not under opposition....ppl will perceive them to be anyway...

let us noe ur verdict yay
    my colleagues just visited his client at hougang apparently. He told me across the road HDB's condition and valuation is world of difference. Commented condition can be "greatly improved"

i go property guru see can get some infor or not

my colleagues just visited his client at hougang apparently. He told me across the road HDB's condition and valuation is world of difference. Commented condition can be "greatly improved"

i go property guru see can get some infor or not
    HDB is responsible for all flats in Singapore including HDB car parks.

I think your colleagues are using misleading words.

Flats in Potong Pasir and Hougang are much more expensive than other PAP areas like Sembawang, Jurong, Pasir Ris,Ang Mo Kio etc.

You can check propertyguru. It is all about location.

For HDB, transport, location, amenities are more important.

For private is facilities, location, quality are more important.

Location means everything for property, not politics.

All areas will be contested. No walkovers.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1k...es?msg=45101.1

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing

Flats in Potong Pasir and Hougang are much more expensive than other PAP areas like Sembawang, Jurong, Pasir Ris,Ang Mo Kio etc.

you are not wrg to say this. As we know PAP use upgrading as a political "advantage" in elections. I may be wrong, that is y i like to investigate it. BTW the comments of undervalued is from the owner, as he says valuation across the street is higher.

Hougang also got opposition n PAP if i m not wrong. The line drawn is somewhat unclear for pple whom do not live there. Can someone give me a little infor to get started.... that area i m totally gone

Opposition-ward town councils fare poorly Fri, Jun 11, 2010
    my paper
    By Low Wei Xiang
    THE report card is out for the 16 here - and the two opposition- run ones, Potong Pasir and Hougang, did not fare well.
    The Ministry of National Development's (MND) first biannual Town Council Management Report covers six indicators across four key areas: Estate cleanliness, estate maintenance, lift performance and arrears on service and conservancy charges (S&CC).
    From last October to March this year, 10 Housing Board inspectors helped assess the town councils, with each indicator graded from Level 1 - the best - to Level 5.
    Potong Pasir scored Level 5 on four indicators, while Hougang scored two Level 5s and one Level 4. The People's Action Party wards received a Level 3 or better on all indicators. Tanjong Pagar town council did best, scoring Level 1 for all indicators except one.
    Both opposition town councils did not respond to e-mail queries at press time.
    An MND spokesman said the report serves two purposes.
    First, it provides feedback to residents on the performance of town councils. Second, residents can use the findings to discuss improvements with their town councils.
    However, the spokesman advised against using the report to compare town councils' performance directly. Each town operates under unique circumstances, such as having different types of residents and properties, he said.
    For example, an estate may have more three-room Housing Board flats, more of whose residents may fail to pay their S&CC on time. This would pull the town council's grade in this area down.
    Instead of a simplistic across-town comparison, the spokesman said, the results should be used to track the individual performance of each town council over time.
    The assessment has already spurred at least one town council to make improvements.
    Potong Pasir received the only Level 5 rating handed out on the failure rate of devices that get lifts to the nearest floors in a power failure - one of two indicators in the area of lift performance.
    But even before the report came out, the council had replaced all malfunctioning devices, said the MND spokesman.
    One area that almost all town councils scored Level 3 or worse on was estate maintenance, which captures factors such as the condition of fixtures and the obstruction of common HDB areas.
    Only Ang Mo Kio-Yio Chu Kang Town Council rated a Level 2 in this area.
    The MND spokesman noted that estate maintenance was affected not just by a town council's work, but also the actions of residents, some of who may tamper with public property or behave irresponsibly.

I dont live at hougang n potong pasir, so i shall not comment, but this year when our LKW come to do annual tree planting in Tiong Pager ward, i m say the area is nicely touched up. plant nice nice trees and flowers. Nicely done up. thumbs up from me.

BTW i dont wanna go into political debate. Just wanna check on property prices n want to ask for assitance to clear my doubts.

Opposition-ward town councils fare poorly Fri, Jun 11, 2010
    my paper
    By Low Wei Xiang
    THE report card is out for the 16 here - and the two opposition- run ones, Potong Pasir and Hougang, did not fare well.
    The Ministry of National Development's (MND) first biannual Town Council Management Report covers six indicators across four key areas: Estate cleanliness, estate maintenance, lift performance and arrears on service and conservancy charges (S&CC).
    From last October to March this year, 10 Housing Board inspectors helped assess the town councils, with each indicator graded from Level 1 - the best - to Level 5.
    Potong Pasir scored Level 5 on four indicators, while Hougang scored two Level 5s and one Level 4. The People's Action Party wards received a Level 3 or better on all indicators. Tanjong Pagar town council did best, scoring Level 1 for all indicators except one.
    Both opposition town councils did not respond to e-mail queries at press time.
    An MND spokesman said the report serves two purposes.
    First, it provides feedback to residents on the performance of town councils. Second, residents can use the findings to discuss improvements with their town councils.
    However, the spokesman advised against using the report to compare town councils' performance directly. Each town operates under unique circumstances, such as having different types of residents and properties, he said.
    For example, an estate may have more three-room Housing Board flats, more of whose residents may fail to pay their S&CC on time. This would pull the town council's grade in this area down.
    Instead of a simplistic across-town comparison, the spokesman said, the results should be used to track the individual performance of each town council over time.
    The assessment has already spurred at least one town council to make improvements.
    Potong Pasir received the only Level 5 rating handed out on the failure rate of devices that get lifts to the nearest floors in a power failure - one of two indicators in the area of lift performance.
    But even before the report came out, the council had replaced all malfunctioning devices, said the MND spokesman.
    One area that almost all town councils scored Level 3 or worse on was estate maintenance, which captures factors such as the condition of fixtures and the obstruction of common HDB areas.
    Only Ang Mo Kio-Yio Chu Kang Town Council rated a Level 2 in this area.
    The MND spokesman noted that estate maintenance was affected not just by a town council's work, but also the actions of residents, some of who may tamper with public property or behave irresponsibly.

I dont live at hougang n potong pasir, so i shall not comment, but this year when our LKW come to do annual tree planting in Tiong Pager ward, i m say the area is nicely touched up. plant nice nice trees and flowers. Nicely done up. thumbs up from me.

BTW i dont wanna go into political debate. Just wanna check on property prices n want to ask for assitance to clear my doubts.
    Come on, surely you are smarter than this biased and self-praised report.

This is conducted by Mah Bow Tan's ministry, surely you do not expect PAP to give good grades to their competitors.

The top 3 areas belong to MM Lee, SM Goh and PM Lee. PAP hierarchy apparently decides the results.

Many blogs and forums already debunk this report as biased, fake and laughable.

Only shallow people will accept the results like this. PAP conducted a study about themselves and competitors and decided they are the best.

Besides, 11 PAP Town Councils lost millions during Minibond crisis was not mentioned. This report above have no credibility.

This is not a study, it is a sales advertisement.

You should ask why are taxpayer's money used to conduct such contradictory and conflict-of-interests study.

Here is something with real statistics.

http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/07/opposit...ore-with-less/

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=2843215

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3105519

Opposition wards achieve more with less

By Gerald Giam

The Straits Times carried a commentary by one of its journalists today criticizing the Government’s handling of the Town Council Management Report (TCMR).

The journalist gave the Government “at best an E -” grade for “effort”. In other words, the Government failed miserably. (In the ‘O’ levels, a ‘D’ is already a failing grade.)

My 13 June blog post, Underwhelmed by town council report, was quoted in the ST article:
    Workers’ Party member Gerald Giam wrote on his blog: ‘Why does the MND suddenly feel the urge to tell residents what they should think of their town councils, and by extension, their MPs?

‘Residents are personally affected by their town council’s performance. If they feel that their MPs are not performing, they would have voted them out long ago.’

– “Perception of bias dents report’s credibility”, Straits Times, 3 July 2010.
    Accompanying the ST article were two charts derived from the town council annual reports and the Government Budget Book.

The first one compared the government grants for all 16 town councils:

It’s a no-brainer to identify the two opposition wards, Hougang and Potong Pasir. Their grants are dwarfed by the other town councils.

Even taking into account the smaller size of their wards, the opposition wards still receive far less per resident.

Notice in the diagram that the two opposition wards are given no funds at all for “town improvements” via Community Improvement Programme (CIP), whereas all the PAP wards have generous amounts of CIP funds lavished on them.

These are channelled through the Citizens’ Consultative Committees (CCCs), another taxpayer-funded grassroot outfit widely recognised as being aligned to the PAP.

Let’s take a look at the next table:

This is another jaw-dropper. In total since the last election in 2006, the Government has splurged almost $3 billion on various “national” upgrading programmes. As far as I am aware, none of these funds are shared with opposition wards.

This is pork barrel politics at its worst. (Wikipedia defines pork barrel politics as “spending that is intended to benefit constituents of a politician in return for their political support”.)

Where are the “slums”?

Given this obscene disparity in funding, one would expect Hougang and Potong Pasir to be real dumps compared to PAP wards. (Goh Chok Tong predicted on the eve of the 1997 polls that they would become “slums”.)

However, this is clearly not the case. Even the Straits Times, referencing the town council report, acknowledged that “the opposition councils were…on a par with their PAP peers on most other indicators, such as cleanliness and lift performance“.

(Keep in mind that the town council report very conveniently excluded management of sinking funds as a measure of the town councils’ performance. This is an area that most of the PAP town councils would have fared very poorly in, but one in which opposition wards would have excelled.)

In fact, even putting aside the facts and figures, Singaporeans living in other wards should take a trip down to Potong Pasir or Hougang to see those wards for themselves.

While there is an absence of outlandish sculptures or expensive artificial landmarks like those found in some PAP wards, the improvements that genuinely benefit residents have been made.

For example, in Potong Pasir, the town council headed by Chiam See Tong built a walkway linking the MRT station to the housing estate, all from its own funds.

Hougang MP Low Thia Khiang used $500,000 of his town council’s funds to upgrade the lifts in several blocks on Hougang Avenue 3 and 7.

This is unheard of in PAP wards. PAP town councils have to co-pay a mere fraction of the lift upgrading costs, with the bulk of it being borne by the Government.

(In another sickening act, just seven years later, the HDB demolished those upgraded blocks, while refusing to reimburse Hougang Town Council the costs for the unexpired cyclical period.)

Blocks in Hougang have also been spruced up and renovated, to the extent that some of the lift lobbies look almost like those in private condos. An example is shown in this photo below that was taken from the Straits Times today.

Ultimately, the best judges of the town councils’ performance are residents themselves.

Chiam See Tong has been re-elected five times and Low Thia Khiang has been re-elected three times since they first won their seats in 1984 and 1991 respectively. Chiam has been in office longer than any other PAP backbencher.

All this is proof that the two opposition town councils have done exceptionally well, even with less funding and a host of factors stacked against them.

Residents in PAP wards should talk to their friends and family in Hougang and Potong Pasir and discover for themselves that decent opposition politicians can do a good job in running their wards, if given the opportunity.

Technorati Tags: Town Councils

If this thread is to frighten and mislead Singaporeans to vote PAP because of property, you have underestimated Singaporeans.

Singaporeans are much smarter and less shallow these years unless Singapore education system is a failure.

Using old tricks like property is self-defeating.

In fact property is PAP's greatest headache now because of the low supply and high prices.

Many younger generation I know are voting against PAP due to property. The debts are mounting.

Mah Bow Tan's dishing out policies like toilet paper with short lead time and in a flurry with little consideration.

How many Singaporeans have enough funds to endure this up-down roller coaster ride from inconsiderate government policies.

Surely, you are not going just vote for a nice landscaping, some trees and flowers, lifts, void decks , playgrounds etc.

Your vote is much more valuable than that.

I do not need to hire PAP to help me plant trees and flowers and do landscaping, any opposition can hire contractor to do that too.

In fact I don't expect politicians to be fussing over flowers, plants, lifts, playgrounds etc, each town council have a group of professional estate managers to do that like condominium Management Committee.

I only vote for policies.

I do not vote for parties, not landscapes, not lifts, not void decks and not playgrounds.

Besides, some facilities are manage by government agencies like URA, HDB, LTA etc , not Town Councils so your vote cannot do much too.

Whatever you vote, these agencies still must serve entire Singapore.

All areas will be contested. No walkovers.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1k...es?msg=45101.1
    Should be this link

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1k...es?msg=45390.1

i would like more alternative voices in parliament that really 'speak' up.. so i know who im voting for..

First one in potong pasir

Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge is a freehold condominium development located at 23, Meyappa Chettiar Road (S)358463 in District 09 near Potong Pasir MRT station. Completed in 2005, it comprises 12 units. It is located in the vicinity of Potong Pasir Mrt and Intero Condominium.

Condo Facilities at Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge has full condo facilities which include carparking and 24-hr security.

Condo Amenities near Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge is located just minutes drive away from Toa Payoh Hub, where a host of amenities are readily available, such as retail outlets, supermarkets, restaurants and eating establishments, banks, cinemas, library and other entertainment facilities.
    There are schools located in the vicinity, such as St. Andrew’s Secondary and St. Andrew’s Junior. Recreational facilities nearby include the Aljunied Park and Kallang Basin Swimming Complex which is just a short drive away.
    For vehicle owners, travelling to the business hub from Meya Lodge takes just above 15 minutes, via Serangoon Road.

Development Name:Meya Lodge Property Type:Apartment Developer:Siem Development Pte Ltd Tenure:Freehold Completion Year:2005 # of Floors:7 # of Units:12
    Latest Recorded Transaction(s) - October 2009 Average psf: S$ 699 Lowest psf: S$ 699 Transactions: 1 Highest psf: S$ 699
    anyone can get information on transcations?

Surely, you are not going just vote for a nice landscaping, some trees and flowers, lifts, void decks , playgrounds etc.

Your vote is much more valuable than that.

I do not need to hire PAP to help me plant trees and flowers and do landscaping, any opposition can hire contractor to do that too.

In fact I don't expect politicians to be fussing over flowers, plants, lifts, playgrounds etc, each town council have a group of professional estate managers to do that like condominium Management Committee.

I only vote for policies.

I do not vote for parties, not landscapes, not lifts, not void decks and not playgrounds.

Besides, some facilities are manage by government agencies like URA, HDB, LTA etc , not Town Councils so your vote cannot do much too.

Whatever you vote, these agencies still must serve entire Singapore.
    Not going into politics discussion n stuff, just wanna know abt the property situation over there. Maybe got good investment opportunities.

First one in potong pasir

Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge is a freehold condominium development located at 23, Meyappa Chettiar Road (S)358463 in District 09 near Potong Pasir MRT station. Completed in 2005, it comprises 12 units. It is located in the vicinity of Potong Pasir Mrt and Intero Condominium.

Condo Facilities at Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge has full condo facilities which include carparking and 24-hr security.

Condo Amenities near Meya Lodge

Meya Lodge is located just minutes drive away from Toa Payoh Hub, where a host of amenities are readily available, such as retail outlets, supermarkets, restaurants and eating establishments, banks, cinemas, library and other entertainment facilities.
    There are schools located in the vicinity, such as St. Andrew’s Secondary and St. Andrew’s Junior. Recreational facilities nearby include the Aljunied Park and Kallang Basin Swimming Complex which is just a short drive away.
    For vehicle owners, travelling to the business hub from Meya Lodge takes just above 15 minutes, via Serangoon Road.

Development Name:Meya Lodge Property Type:Apartment Developer:Siem Development Pte Ltd Tenure:Freehold Completion Year:2005 # of Floors:7 # of Units:12
    Latest Recorded Transaction(s) - October 2009 Average psf: S$ 699 Lowest psf: S$ 699 Transactions: 1 Highest psf: S$ 699
    anyone can get information on transcations?
    Do you know Toa Payoh Lorong 8 belongs to Chiam See Tong's Potong Pasir area and areas in Serangoon belongs to Marine Parade GRC ?

The above condominium may not belong to Potong Pasir even if near the PP MRT.

Better check the new election boundaries first and maybe you can check out Nin Residences too.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3121494

Major changes to electoral boundaries

2nd one

Parc Aston is a freehold apartment development located at 2 Leicester Road, Singapore 358831, in District 13, minutes walk to Potong Pasir MRT Station. Completed in 2011, it comprises 16 units. Parc Aston is close to PH Bro Driving Range and United Medical Centre.

Condo Facilities at Parc Aston

Facilities at Parc Aston include swimming pool and Jacuzzi.

Condo Amenities near Parc Aston

Several bus services are available near Parc Aston. Several local and international schools are located in the vicinity, including the prestigious Cedar Girls’ Secondary School and Curtin University of Technology.

Residents can find numerous restaurants and eating establishments all located a short walk or drive away from the development and can purchase daily necessities at the nearby Geylang Bahru Food and Market Centre or neighbouring estate supermarkets.

For vehicle owners, it takes 10 - 15 minutes to drive from Parc Aston to the Central Business District (CBD) or the vibrant Orchard Road shopping belt, via Central Expressway.

Development Name:Parc Aston Property Type:Apartment Developer:Whye Wah Development and Construction Pte Ltd Tenure:Freehold Expected Completion:2011 # of Units:16

Historic Transaction Price Summary

Latest Recorded Transaction(s) - May 2010 Average psf: S$ 915 Lowest psf: S$ 915 Transactions: 1 Highest psf: S$ 915

If you read the Blossoms@Woodleigh, 8@Woodleigh and Woodsville 28, you will note that there is an expected air of optimism about Potong Pasir area and the condos around the MRT once Chiam See Tong's wife is voted out of there, once the American School opens, once Woodleigh station opens as expected and after all the numerous plots of vacant land around the two MRT stations are developed.

If you do a straight line distance analysis of Potong Pasir to the city centre or count the number of MRT stops to town, u will realise that Potong Pasir area is way under valued...at the moment.

Most people buying condos do not consider political party in their buying decision. Optimism from the woodleigh area stands out because of the upcoming SAIS..., ease to rent to expats....Nd next to MRT station that is scheduled to open soon

But for HDB resale buyers, political party in charge of the ward may affect their decision, as upgrading priority,etc maybe lowest priority in opposition wards

didn't PAP town councils lost millions of their reserves in financial products during the financial crisis? the losses will eventually be recovered from who else but the residents

I'm a very practical and realistic person.
    To say opposition has no effects on prices of properties, especially HDBs, under their care, is just totally naive.

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Most people buying condos do not consider political party in their buying decision. Optimism from the woodleigh area stands out because of the upcoming SAIS..., ease to rent to expats....Nd next to MRT station that is scheduled to open soon

But for HDB resale buyers, political party in charge of the ward may affect their decision, as upgrading priority,etc maybe lowest priority in opposition wards
    do u happen to live in this area? Kudos to Chiam See Tong for maintaining Potong Pasir but let's be realistic about the valuation for a condo in a opposition ward...the potential for appreciation would definitely be higher if it was a PAP ward.

I suppose we are talking about Town Councils that are responsible for proper maintenance for the estate. Those under opposition's charge are Potong Pasir and Hougang SMC.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Quote Originally Posted by spikey69
    do u happen to live in this area? Kudos to Chiam See Tong for maintaining Potong Pasir but let's be realistic about the valuation for a condo in a opposition ward...the potential for appreciation would definitely be higher if it was a PAP ward.
    I don't but have a good friend who stay there since DAY 1 when HDB flats were built there. Yes, take my hat off to the old man, his track record there is 2nd to none, heard from my friend most of HDB residents respect him and die die vote for him, only way for PAP to win votes are those younger families who bought resale....and condo owners

Please show some statistics or else do not spread fear-mongering and urban legends.

The potential you mention is hypothetical.

Base on your logic, if PAP lose power one day, their areas also undervalued and suddenly WP areas are fairly valued ??

Nonsense, there is no data linking property to politics yet.

Go and check HDB website and Propertyguru for prices.

From propertyguru website you can see flats in Potong Pasir and Hougang are more expensive than PAP areas.

For private housing, politics have no bearing at all. Only location does.

Mah admits he was caught off guard and government can artificially dampen prices but did not.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3125817

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRok...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew
    I suppose we are talking about Town Councils that are responsible for proper maintenance for the estate. Those under opposition's charge are Potong Pasir and Hougang SMC.
    Town Councils are not really empowered to do much.

They are the same as condominiums Management Committees looking after rubbish, maintenance of the areas etc.

They need to work with relevant government agencies like HDB to solve issues and hire contractors.

For HDB parking fines, you see your fine details at HDB websites and not town council websites. The money goes to HDB.

For fogging, NEA did a mass fogging of hotspots areas during dengue crisis when Singaporeans started dying.

Town councils can chip in with additional fogging on top what NEA suppose to do.

Town Council , like condo Management Committee cannot influence prices of housing, only the main landlord can which is HDB.

HDB suppose to serve all Singapore and not just PAP areas unless the government of the day play punk which will be a scandal.

If you read the Blossoms@Woodleigh, 8@Woodleigh and Woodsville 28, you will note that there is an expected air of optimism about Potong Pasir area and the condos around the MRT once Chiam See Tong's wife is voted out of there, once the American School opens, once Woodleigh station opens as expected and after all the numerous plots of vacant land around the two MRT stations are developed.

If you do a straight line distance analysis of Potong Pasir to the city centre or count the number of MRT stops to town, u will realise that Potong Pasir area is way under valued...at the moment.
    You are working as fortune-teller ??

What makes you think Lina Chiam cannot be good MP especially after helping her husband for 27 years in Potong Pasir ??

Base on your logic, so you saying all the new fresh PAP MPs for every election are also crap ??

What makes you connect the optimism at Potong Pasir to a change of guard ??

You saying when PM Lee became PM, he was crap because he never be PM before ??

Woodleigh condos you mentioned are bidded by optimism of Developers some years back when government released land there.

It was a buoyant property climate , not politics that make developers bid those condos. Again, it is location.

What optimism can also link to CST and Lina ??

You mean Developers hired you as fortune-teller back then knowing Lina Chiam will take over Chiam See Tong so that he can cheong GRC and give Singaporeans a chance to get a GRC for Opposition ??

No matter who is MP, URA must still develop those areas you mention because location is good. It is URA's job.

Besides the Woodleigh MRT remains closed because MRT said it is business decision as there are more dead people (Mount Vernon) than living people in that area to make a profit form that station.

The same reason why Punggol MRT was closed for a few years even though it was PAP area and residents there were protesting.

Do not spread nonsense, fear mongering and urban legends here. Singaporeans are smarter than that.

Again, let's not go into politics. Just pure hard facts, psf, location n amenities

Are you telling us that valuatns of hougang hdb flats tend to be lower compared to other hdb estates in the suburbs bcoz of opposition? I think that is naive.
    Quote Originally Posted by amk
    I'm a very practical and realistic person.
    To say opposition has no effects on prices of properties, especially HDBs, under their care, is just totally naive.