Page 1 of 17 1234561116 ... LastLast

Thread: OUR MINISTERS' PAY COMPARED TO UNITED STATES MINISTERS

Default OUR MINISTERS' PAY COMPARED TO UNITED STATES MINISTERS

Look at the annual pay of top ministers in the US compared to us. Fed chief Bernanke who can make or break world economy with his decision is only drawing an annual salary of $199k and Hilary Clinton only drawing $186k. Many of our MPs (apart from those holding significant portfolios) whom hardly anybody outside Singapore even knows are drawing three to tenfold that amount for doing meet-the -peoples session, simple day to day constituency work, and proposing upgrading works in parliament. Our president is paid $3.2 mil for doing..... Sorry, I don't even know what apart from waving at us on National Day

NEW YORK (24/7 Wall Street) — Working for the government is often referred to as public service. The term implies sacrifice or taking less than what could be earned in the private sector or in an entrepreneurial position. Many government workers seem overpaid but are probably underpaid when you consider the scope of their responsibilities. Indeed, many in the private sector would not want to stand up to the scrutiny required of a top public-service job or to get elected to public office.

Reuters

U.S. President Barack Obama speaks to the media at the White House in February.
    The salary of the president of the United States is actually a token sum considering the responsibilities of the office. Still, officials in other public service jobs seem egregiously overpaid. People who hold these jobs are “set for life” after their public service ends because they are in demand for paid speaking gigs, memoirs and consulting roles in private industry.

24/7 Wall Street has gathered data from many public sources to ferret out how much these top government officials earn. Salaries of some jobs are shielded from public scrutiny for national-security reasons. This analysis did not consider health-care and retirement packages, security and transportation benefits and additional factor. In some cases, our public-service executives have actually taken considerable pay cuts to serve.

One thing also needs to be considered here: Some government salaries are actually shielded under executive order. Some of the shielded pay grades may be well into the hundreds of thousands or even higher. Some information, intelligence, and cloak-and-dagger positions are shielded and above our pay grade when it comes to identifying how much they are.

10. Secretary of state: Hillary Clinton

• Annual base salary: $186,600

• Maximum job length: Generally 8 years

• Previous job: Senator from New York

Job description: The secretary of state is appointed by the president to serve as chief diplomatic representative of the U.S. Besides overseeing all State Department operations, including the operations of the U.S. embassies and representation in the United Nations, Secretary of State Clinton is responsible for the foreign operations of the CIA, the Defense Department, and the Department of Homeland Security. Clinton is also fourth in the chain of succession for the presidency.

9. Secretary of Treasury Timothy Geithner

• Annual base salary: $191,300

• Maximum job length: Generally 8 years

• Previous job: President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Job description: Appointed by the president, the secretary of the Treasury serves as the principal economic adviser for the president. According to the Department of the Treasury: “The Secretary is responsible for formulating and recommending domestic and international financial, economic, and tax policy, participating in the formulation of broad fiscal policies that have general significance for the economy, and managing the public debt.” Geithner here is a proxy for many other Cabinet members, who make the same amount, including Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano.

8. Senate majority leader: Harry Reid

• Annual base salary: $193,400

• Maximum job length: Indefinite, usually 4-8 years, or until Senate changes hands

• Previous job: Governor of Nevada

Job description: The Senate majority leader did not exist until the beginning of the 20th century. According to the U.S. Senate website: “The leader must keep himself briefed and informed on national and international problems in addition to pending legislative matters. On the floor of the senate he is charged by his party members to deal with all procedural questions in consultation with them and his party’s policy-making bodies.” Additionally, Reid must be in contact with all of the various committees and maintain a line of communication between them and the senate. This position stands as a proxy here for the minority and majority leaders in both the Senate and House, who all make the same amount.

7. Chairman of the Federal Reserve: Benjamin Bernanke

• Annual base salary: $199,700

• Maximum job length: 14-28 years

• Previous job: Professor of economics at Princeton University

Job Description: The chairman of the Federal Reserve is in charge of the banking system of the U.S. As head of the Fed, Bernanke dictates and explains the direction of U.S. fiscal policy and works with the Department of the Treasury.

6. Chief justice of United States: John G. Roberts

i tink many dun mind to be ben/obama even if their pay is $1

btw, any difference with regards to BASE salary? r there any other perks?

so you mean to say it is all right for an american president to work for free and our president has to be paid $3.2 mil a year? You put Obama and Nathan side by side on the world stage and compare salary to responsibility, on the ratio of responsibility to pay, obama scored a ratio of 10000 : 1, as for Nathan, he scored 1 : 10000.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    so you mean to say it is all right for an american president to work for free and our president has to be paid $3.2 mil a year? You put Obama and Nathan side by side on the world stage and compare salary to responsibility, on the ratio of responsibility to pay, obama scored a ratio of 10000 : 1, as for Nathan, he scored 1 : 10000.
    dunwan to compare la...

jus pointed out tat ppl r gg for POWER instead of $$....as they noe POWER will leads to $$$ later

Perks:
    You can ask for haircut in airforce one. All other flights will be delayed while you have haircut.

Singapore President has important function you know.
    He safeguard the Singapore reserves. Imagine your CPF statement shows $1million, but when you want to withdraw all, no money in CPF because government anyhow use the money.

And also during presidential election, can have public holiday .

By the way, Wenqing is coming soon.....

dunwan to compare la...

jus pointed out tat ppl r gg for POWER instead of $$....as they noe POWER will leads to $$$ later
    true...look at bill clinton. after collecting < 200k annually for 2 term. now he jus need to tour around and.......10 over million in his pocket lor. also he has the power to get extra service who dare to reject him!!!

Just curious...

Will MP get additional income beside MP allowance
    1) he is a minister?
    2) if he hold more than one minister posts
    3) any agency boss (PA, URA, MAS, NTUC etc)

Just curious
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

maybe our ministers have "meet-the-people" session mah. Obama didnt meet the people.....so our minister are paid millions lor

We are talking about pay during office, not after office. If nathan got substance, people will still pay to hear him talk, just like people paying thousands to hear anthony robbins who is not even a graduate. Honestly with the kind of work that our prudent does, ask him to tour around the globe and see who wants to hear him talk
    Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    true...look at bill clinton. after collecting < 200k annually for 2 term. now he jus need to tour around and.......10 over million in his pocket lor. also he has the power to get extra service who dare to reject him!!!

Are you a singaporean? Presidnts don't go for meet the people sessions and by the way, mps in US also meet their people regularly
    maybe our ministers have "meet-the-people" session mah. Obama didnt meet the people.....so our minister are paid millions lor

Everything in parliament can override what the presidnt says. Have you forgotten what happened when ong teng cheong tried to probe into the government accounts? Everyone knows the president in singapore serves mainly a ceremonial function, even if he wants to change a law in singapore, he has no power.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    He safeguard the Singapore reserves. Imagine your CPF statement shows $1million, but when you want to withdraw all, no money in CPF because government anyhow use the money.

Most of the highly paid mps in singapore hold part time positions and they have other day jobs. Some are also directors of multiple companies despite their fat mp allowances
    Quote Originally Posted by westman
    Just curious...

Will MP get additional income beside MP allowance
    1) he is a minister?
    2) if he hold more than one minister posts
    3) any agency boss (PA, URA, MAS, NTUC etc)

Just curious

really u so naive , believe their pay is only $200k a year? come on, u make more than president of united states lor.

i m sure u are old enough to know see thing dont look at the surface..... he maybe sitting on 1k board drawing 10k each for all u know.

I quiet confident to say is really a united states of America president only make 200k annual, no need too far , i take some small time banker can trash him liao........

maybe i m wrg, but i believe pple want to be paid in according to the responsibility assumed.
    Last edited by DaytonaSS; 10-03-11 at 19:37.

If obama can make money outside, nathan can also make money outside. We are talking about publicly declared allowances or pay given to them out of taxpayers
    Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    really u so naive , believe their pay is only $200k a year? come on, u make more than president of united states lor.

i m sure u are old enough to know see thing dont look at the surface..... he maybe sitting on 1k board drawing 10k each for all u know.

I quiet confident to say is really a united states of America president only make 200k annual, no need too far , i take some small time banker can trash him liao........

maybe i m wrg, but i believe pple want to be paid in according to the responsibility assumed.

Aiyo can we stop arguing on Politics in this forum, there r better forums to do that.... u can argue until the cow comes home and there wont be any satisfactory answers to suit everyone....

Default Question

Is the ppty market going up or down?

I think the meaning of public service and public servant have become twisted when you have a country's public servants drawing much much more than other countries' whose responsibilities are far heavier and subject to more scrutiny by the public and press.

I say to them.. "You guys have no sense of proportion!".

haha where is he? Dis is one of his fav topics

They said that minister's salaries need to be high to avoid corruption, it is like saying instead of being corrupt, i just take from the people openly. If a minister in Singapore has the audacity to collect 10 times the pay of Obama, I think he/she should be 10 times as good as Obama. I do not think any minister in Singapore can even fill half his shoes, not to mention two.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    I think the meaning of public service and public servant have become twisted when you have a country's public servants drawing much much more than other countries' whose responsibilities are far heavier and subject to more scrutiny by the public and press.

I say to them.. "You guys have no sense of proportion!".

They said that minister's salaries need to be high to avoid corruption, it is like saying instead of being corrupt, i just take from the people openly. If a minister in Singapore has the audacity to collect 10 times the pay of Obama, I think he/she should be 10 times as good as Obama. I do not think any minister in Singapore can even fill half his shoes, not to mention two.
    Too bad ... After all that is said and done, I believe majority will still vote for PAP. We all have short term memory.

In case anyone doubts my loyalty.... I love PAP! PAP! PAP!

Maybe i will vote for PAP after I become mentally retarded or senile when i grow old

Too bad ... After all that is said and done, I believe majority will still vote for PAP. We all have short term memory.

In case anyone doubts my loyalty.... I love PAP! PAP! PAP!

Maybe i will vote for PAP after I become mentally retarded or senile when i grow old
    Hehehe.. To each his own. Online forum must always show support for my beloved govt. I am chicken sh*t.. It's so exciting to have elections.. I will go attend rallies to listen and enjoy the atmosphere..

Oh... Our President just got a nice increment.
    From $3.3mil to 4.2mil ..

If anyone don't know what is a golden handshake, this is it!

As far as I am concerned, a president is redundant in our country. 4.2 million could be much better used in cancer research, buy more dialysis machines for kidney patients and a whole lot more than to pay someone to go around shaking hands and act as just a figurehead. I think many would agree with me on this.
    Oh... Our President just got a nice increment.
    From $3.3mil to 4.2mil ..

If anyone don't know what is a golden handshake, this is it!

no every former US president like clinton...he is famour because of his scandal...

ha ha...are u joking?

Hehehe.. To each his own. Online forum must always show support for my beloved govt. I am chicken sh*t.. It's so exciting to have elections.. I will go attend rallies to listen and enjoy the atmosphere..

u first time voter? PAP loves people like u... bottom got no ball or ball in mounth

As far as I am concerned, a president is redundant in our country. 4.2 million could be much better used in cancer research, buy more dialysis machines for kidney patients and a whole lot more than to pay someone to go around shaking hands and act as just a figurehead. I think many would agree with me on this.

to think that most singaporeans are fighting everyday with Foreign talents for job opportuity and third world pay, furhtermore inflation is getting higher, this is anothe bombshell...GST may be going up soon..pay inrease always start at the top...

very difficult to make comparison. each country has their own management. spore minister higher pay than US, how abt also comparing US to china....i think i earn more than china PM/president . is china not as powerful as US?