Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which minister proposed to build nuclear plant in SG?

Default Which minister proposed to build nuclear plant in SG?

Hi guys,

Do you still remember which minister propose to build nuclear plant in Singapore?

I would be the first one to migrate!

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs
    Hi guys,

Do you still remember which minister propose to build nuclear plant in Singapore?

I would be the first one to migrate!

the minister who brought this up must be quite short-sighted, willing to sacrifice survivability for some economical benefits....

I dont mind building power plant in singapore or indonesia.
    as long as president, prime minister, owner/ceo of the nuclear plant stay within 500m of the nuclear plant. family also stay there.
    even after retirement from public office, would also there.
    would ensure no cost cuttings or shoddy constructions.

iirc it is little lee

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+...02-245235.html

Singapore may get nuclear power plant

http://www.asiaone.com/a1media/site/common/blank.gifhttp://www.asiaone.com/a1media/site/common/blank.gif

Tue, Nov 02, 2010

my paper

BY SUJIN THOMAS

IT MAY be a long time before any decision is taken on nuclear energy but Singapore should ready itself to do so, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong yesterday.

He said that preparations would give the country the ability to exercise such an option should this become necessary and feasible one day.

Mr Lee was delivering the Singapore Energy Lecture for the first time at the Suntec Ballroom where he referred to nuclear energy as an "important part of the solution to mankind's energy problems".

The lecture was held as part of the annual Singapore International Energy Week.
    He was speaking to an audience of about 800 people made up of businessmen, industry experts and government officials.

Mr Lee said that several countries in South-east Asia have expressed their intention to build nuclear power plants - a challenge which will be faced even more by developing countries than developed ones.

For Singapore, he raised concerns such as safety due to the country's small size, which stretches about 40km from east to west.

He said: "It's very difficult to put it (a nuclear power plant) very far from population because nobody in Singapore is far from population.

"Yet we cannot afford to dismiss the option of nuclear energy altogether."

As part of building up its capabilities, Singapore should keep up with new developments and learn from the experiences of other countries.

The country should also get in touch with experts in the field of nuclear energy and train a few of its own experts in the field.

He added: "Then we can critically assess developments in nuclear technology and decide on the feasibility of nuclear-power deployment one day in the future."

When he called for questions from the floor, Mr Lee was asked if it would happen during his time in office.

He replied: "I would say possibly during my lifetime."

Earlier on, he said that Singapore, which he referred to as "an alternative energy-disadvantaged country", is readying itself for a future world which will be fossil fuel-constrained and carbon- constrained.

He said that the country would have to put a price on carbon if a global agreement to curb carbon emissions is reached.

This additional charge - which all businesses and consumers must pay - will reflect the social costs of carbon emissions and is needed to induce consumers to change their behaviour.

Mr Lee did not specify whether it would come in the form of a carbon tax or cap-and-trade scheme.

[email protected]

I guess it will happen after elections 2011.

It will be PM Lee's most expensive pet project after YOG.

This is the most talented solution that Singaporeans pay him $4 million a year for.

or is it easy way out ?

Singaporeans should be prepared to pay the full cost and consequence of building a nuclear power plant.

By 2015, oil will be so obscenely cheap that all nuclear plants shall become white elephants. My angmo kakis are all ready to dump their oil stocks once the middle east unrests subsides, so they say.

What will the nuclear plant do for us, despite the risk? Will it mean lower electricity prices? How much lower?

If it means less dependency on oil, it might be worth considering. Afterall, we're already drinking our own pee in the form of newater, to cut dependency on malaysia for water.

Don't think it is likely until indonesia and malaysia gets one.... that way they can't complain about us getting one.....

At least singapore is earthquake free...

But indonesia is earthquake prone....

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    What will the nuclear plant do for us, despite the risk? Will it mean lower electricity prices? How much lower?

If it means less dependency on oil, it might be worth considering. Afterall, we're already drinking our own pee in the form of newater, to cut dependency on malaysia for water.

Don't think it is likely until indonesia and malaysia gets one.... that way they can't complain about us getting one.....
    Singapore too small, if we hv nuclear reactor and for some reason if there is a safety lapse or disaster which impact in nuclear meltdown, we will self destruct...we don't even have the 20km radius to evacuate to, certainly not on mainland Singapore to....

Well.. safer to continue to buy energy.... than having a plant in our ISLAND ..

Quote Originally Posted by sh

u r right....indo dun hf yet...hopefully forever dun hf...

anyone can cfm msia dun hf nuclear plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Latio
    Well.. safer to continue to buy energy.... than having a plant in our ISLAND ..

i rather pay higher prices for crude oil....can do some hedging as well...haha

whichever minister that propose nuclear plant in singapore is a freaking idiot!! A nuclear leak could kill the entire population.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    whichever minister that propose nuclear plant in singapore is a freaking idiot!! A nuclear leak could kill the entire population.
    rest assured....after this crisis....nobody dares to mention it again

Building a nuclear plant in Singapore is just not for generating electricity.
    It is for defense also. It will be part of poison pill defense strategy - to make it unattractive for neighbours to attack.

Remember who are Singapore's neighbours, will they be affected? Yes.
    And please google the "Masada option" and "Samson option".
    Please Think.
    Dont be so fast to criticise your government. They are much more intelligent than you give them credit for.

Just a proposal.... need to monitor further, crudes are running low in supplies in the future maybe in the future will have better nuclear plants.

US going to to come out Economic Simplified Boiling Water Reactor (ESBWR).

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    It is for defense also. It will be part of poison pill defense strategy - to make it unattractive for neighbours to attack.

Please Think.
    Dont be so fast to criticise your government. They are much more intelligent than you give them credit for.
    Why don't you write in to the states times forum page and REACH to show your support for LHL and his idea of a nuclear plant in Spore? They will gladly publish your letter.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    Why don't you write in to the states times forum page and REACH to show your support for LHL and his idea of a nuclear plant in Spore? They will gladly publish your letter.
    Of course, now is not a good time to discuss the nuclear power station, with what have happened in Japan. It would be a public relations disaster.
    But rest assured, a nuclear station will be built.

I think the government is piss off with me right now, but if they pass me off as a raving lunatic, then nobody would take me seriously .
    So people will just think nuclear power station is only for generating electricity and not part of defense strategy.

i think nuclear powerplant is a-go

believe me, since they brought it up n say 'won't rule out'.. they will build.. it's just a matter of when?

for now, they will juz kiv only n avoid the whole subject..
    or unless they r not ruling party anymore.. but unlikely

Your undying support with zero doubt is amazing.

Please Think.

One has to measure the risk of a WW3/cost reduction vs a nuclear leak/meltdown. And from what we could see, the probability of a leak/meltdown is higher than WW3. Oil and gas can still last for generations. The worst part is Singapore is so small, we can't even evacuate like Japan. All of us would have to charter flights out of the country - imagine the chaos. And we all know, foreigners and elites will be given priority - and bear in mind, foreigners/PR is already like 50% of our population. The lowly Singaporeans wil be left behind to save their loved ones and to die or become deformed.

And I think the idea of buliding a nuclear plant for "defense" is stupid. See who die first when your enemy bomb your nuclear plant. Don't believe every propaganda u read in the Straits Times.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo

believe me, since they brought it up n say 'won't rule out'.. they will build.. it's just a matter of when?

Last edited by Wild Falcon; 17-03-11 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    One has to measure the risk of a WW3/cost reduction vs a nuclear leak/meltdown. And from what we could see, the probability of a leak/meltdown is higher than WW3. Oil and gas can still last for generations. The worst part is Singapore is so small, we can't even evacuate like Japan. All of us would have to charter flights out of the country - imagine the chaos. And we all know, foreigners and elites will be given priority - and bear in mind, foreigners/PR is already like 50% of our population. The lowly Singaporeans wil be left behind to save their loved ones and to die or become deformed.

And I think the idea of buliding a nuclear plant for "defense" is stupid. See who die first when your enemy bomb your nuclear plant. Don't believe every propaganda u read in the Straits Times.
    can read this post long time ago. surprise nobody refute.
    Either it is very stupid everybody ignore or it is like saying the sun rises in the east, nobody can argue.
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=10363

how many of us actually serve NS with PRIDE?

can read this post long time ago. surprise nobody refute.
    Either it is very stupid everybody ignore or it is like saying the sun rises in the east, nobody can argue.
    http://forums.condosingapore.com/showthread.php?t=10363
    not bad leh....u sure u only NTU pass wif merit? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon

I don't think Straits Times ever publish any article about nuclear plant for "defense". I don't know. Mostly not in Singapore.
    In fact, I would be amazed if they ever published.
    Every Israeli Jews know about the Masada option and Samson option and they accepted their eventual fate should Israel ever fall by victorious Arab armies.
    I dont think Singaporeans would ever accept these 2 options. .
    Better to keep the masses ignorant. Let the government elites bear the burden of leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    not bad leh....u sure u only NTU pass wif merit? hehe
    yup, passed only with merit. That's why my property investment strategy very simple. After URA PPI falls a lot in recession, and when it rise up again for 1-2 qtrs. Show hand. That's it. Actually quite embarassed to reveal such simple strategy to professional investors here. .

yup, passed only with merit. That's why my property investment strategy very simple. After URA PPI falls a lot in recession, and when it rise up again for 1-2 qtrs. Show hand. That's it. Actually quite embarassed to reveal such simple strategy to professional investors here. .
    lets see ur exit strategy den...sold one liao...

Quote Originally Posted by romeo

Another reason to vote for opposition.

I am not a kind of guy who protest but if PAP really blindly copy and paste solutions from other countries and wants to build nuclear plant in Singapore, I will protest for the sake of my loved ones and future generations of Singapore.

Nuclear plant is no joke.

Now even advanced nations after seeing Japan nuclear disaster are relooking and reassessing the pros and cons of keeping nuclear plants.

It means in the first place, these countries build nuclear plants after being attracted by the surface benefits without thoroughly assessing the consequences of it.

Now Japan is the guinea pig of nuclear plant disaster and the entire world is watching what happens next because after Chernobyl, there is no solutions that does not need to sacrifice millions of lives.

Everybody is trying to leave Japan.

It was trendy to go nuclear in the 1980s during Cold War period but not now.

even without earthquake, tsunami and air-tight security procedures ... do you know 1 nuclear reactor produce how many tons of nuclear waste per year ? now, multiply by no of reactors.

once you produce a waste that is unbearable, who is going to "take in" your waste ... JB / Batam ?

you spend millions to protect the nuclear plant but not the waste warehouse. 1 mistake at the warehouse, you and many more generations are doomed including neighbouring countries.

use a tanker and ship the nuclear waste to open sea and dump into the ocean?

taiwan store nuclear waste in a poor village after failing to ship the waste to N. Korea & China

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_189110.html

I support building the Nuke plant provided it built just beside that minister"s house. If he cannot accept that, why should we.

He jump, we jump.
    If he dun't jump but want us to jump.
    Dun't come and talk big "this is for national sake..." blah blah blah...

Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!