Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will nuclear leak cause immigrant flow to south Asia?

Default Will nuclear leak cause immigrant flow to south Asia?

What's your view?

Will nuclear leak in japan cause inflow of foreigner? Chinese, hong kee, japanese ? Property price to shoot up?

Will the leak cause another global crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by Douk
    What's your view?

Will nuclear leak in japan cause inflow of foreigner? Chinese, hong kee, japanese ? Property price to shoot up?

Will the leak cause another global crisis?
    if radiation cannot contained....global equities cfm jialat lor....and if drag too long....gona affect ppty prices in SG for sure due to chain reaction....many ppl prior to japan crisis oredi dying to come to SG leh....jus tat govt goto slowdown the floodgate...so to me, ppty prices will not go up due to inflow ...

germany got chance to overtake liao

According to the news, many foreign companies in tokyo are relocating their operations to HK or Singapore due to the uncertain nuclear risks now.

Careful what you ask for. As with japan n Dubai, funds and people (talent) can leave as easy as they come in. Better be aware of the potential downside from being too reliant on these for economic growth and projections.
    Last edited by med80009; 16-03-11 at 14:11.

Imagine what had happened in Japan is in Sumatra with a 9 on the Richter scale earthquake and the buildings in Singapore will be experiencing a after shock of 5. Can buildings in Singapore withstand such after shock? Better to stay in low-rise or landed properties which gives you more time to escape.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Imagine what had happened in Japan is in Sumatra with a 9 on the Richter scale earthquake and the buildings in Singapore will be experiencing a after shock of 5. Can buildings in Singapore withstand such after shock? Better to stay in low-rise or landed properties which gives you more time to escape.
    low-rise or landed dangerous also. Brick walls can collapse.
    If you notice, it is the low rise buildings, ie terrace houses etc that got swept away. Larger buildings are not swept away.

So take your pick.
    1) low rise/landed buildings, (questionably) safer in earthquake, (definitely) more dangerous in tsunami.
    2) high rise buildings, (questionably) more dangerous in earthquake, (definitely) less dangerous in tsunami.
    I dont think any buildings in Japan collapse during earthquake. Most of the damage was by tsunami.

Safest is stay in container housing. Since a 40ft container is a single structure, very very much unlikely the walls will collapse, at most dented.
    Did you see the containers after tsunami? They were intact .
    Better still is container built on top of springs.

I should be more scared than you. Because constructions standards not as high as in Singapore.

Also those buildings on reclaimed lands will be much more vulnerable during earthquakes.

I am not talking about Tsunami but the tremor. Highrise is more prone to collapse and less time to escape out of the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    low-rise or landed dangerous also. Brick walls can collapse.
    If you notice, it is the low rise buildings, ie terrace houses etc that got swept away. Larger buildings are not swept away.

So take your pick.
    1) low rise/landed buildings, (questionably) safer in earthquake, (definitely) more dangerous in tsunami.
    2) high rise buildings, (questionably) more dangerous in earthquake, (definitely) less dangerous in tsunami.
    I dont think any buildings in Japan collapse during earthquake. Most of the damage was by tsunami.

Safest is stay in container housing. Since a 40ft container is a single structure, very very much unlikely the walls will collapse, at most dented.
    Did you see the containers after tsunami? They were intact .
    Better still is container built on top of springs.

I should be more scared than you. Because constructions standards not as high as in Singapore.

Funny enough, a friend of mine told me the same thing about sumatra side, if terrible earthquake occured, Singapore may feel the " shakes ", worst is if new fault lines are created as a result of major quake like 9..., suddenly
    , Earthquake become a more really, can never say never....just count ourselves lucky for now. Best stay on hightop or highland..., land property of hilltop of highland...not many in Singapore...

Default BS

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    According to the news, many foreign companies in tokyo are relocating their operations to HK or Singapore due to the uncertain nuclear risks now.
    Sure or not? Just within a week they decide like that? I don't believe it.

Do people start avoiding high rise condos (bec sg buildings not designed for big earthquakes) and landed near sea?

Come to think abt it quite scary. Very low chance of earthquake or tsunami, but there's a chance.

Then one day there'll be a cyclone and then ppl avoid houses with a lot of glass.

No end to this.....

I am not talking about Tsunami but the tremor. Highrise is more prone to collapse and less time to escape out of the building.
    So The Interlace being containers stacked on each other is the safest?

Melissa on CNA interviewed a Singaporean working in Tokyo with a cat, asked her if the cat behave strangely... My two cats, one (the more sensitive one) started vomiting everything he eats around the time of the earthquakes started and the other started vomiting today also. And behave extra needy these past few days... Are we sensing something coming on the way? As I type this my neighbour dog has been barking non stop the past 3 hours... And is inconsolable.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Melissa on CNA interviewed a Singaporean working in Tokyo with a cat, asked her if the cat behave strangely... My two cats, one (the more sensitive one) started vomiting everything he eats around the time of the earthquakes started and the other started vomiting today also. And behave extra needy these past few days... Are we sensing something coming on the way? As I type this my neighbour dog has been barking non stop the past 3 hours... And is inconsolable.
    short STI.
    if earthquake happens, STI may plunge 16% over 2 days
    Big money already.

another thought, your house may not be "clean".

So have to keep 2 cats and 1 dog as early warning device?

another thought, your house may not be "clean".
    Wa lao why suddenly not clean leh... Cant be the spirits suddenly turn up right. Actually things started after next door neighbour moved in few days back...

Quote Originally Posted by sh
    So have to keep 2 cats and 1 dog as early warning device?
    Dunno maybe one is enough... Btw the dog still barking away... He throat not pain I think my ear also pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Localite
    Sure or not? Just within a week they decide like that? I don't believe it.
    Prob temp measures they all activate their business contingency plans

Dunno maybe one is enough... Btw the dog still barking away... He throat not pain I think my ear also pain.
    cannot complain to condo management?
    since you are cat lover, want to pass bylaw banning barking dogs?

Earthquake maybe but I hope not tsunami dun tink so we r sheltered by Bintam batam n Malaysia so they will take first hit by then power of tsunami shld have subsided . Imagine if really gena, all e more expensive properties Like ir, sail, sentosa cove etc r first to gena better dun go for anymore sea view units haha

properly your neighbour dog is having consipation la...

cannot complain to condo management?
    since you are cat lover, want to pass bylaw banning barking dogs?
    Hdb ban cats already rather stupid. Dont wanna repeat the mistake by asking to ban dogs in condo here la... Me animal lover not only cats...

Therein lies the problem. These foreigners are fleeing Japan at the first sign of trouble. Apparently, all the foreigners are chartering flights out of Japan. When crisis strikes, the local people are the ones who stay behind for their loved ones. Singapore already has 50% foreigners and PR. Imagine any crisis happens, these guys are the first to run. And knowing our govt, foreigners and elites will be given priority to flee, leaving behind the Singaporeans to hold the fort and save the loved ones.

It just shows no country should be overly dependent on foreigners. They are the first to evacuate at first sign of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    knowing our govt, foreigners and elites will be given priority to flee, leaving behind the Singaporeans to hold the fort and save the loved ones.
    u sure anot....elites mabe...but all foreigners/PR got priority to leave....? care to elaborate more?

Just look at Japan. Who are the ones chartering the flights out? And as a country, we have to make sure that we stay behind to protect our own people, while our guests from other countries leave first, so that we don't offend the other countries..... In times of crisis, usually foreigners have priority to leave.

And nuclear plant as a defense strategy is such a joke. Once a bomb hit a plant, entire Singapore will be wiped out. Our neighbouring countries are larger in size and population - its easy for them to evacuate to safety zone. In fact, it makes a small country like Singapore even more vulnerable. The indonesians can drop a bomb and still at a safety distance. And losing 4 million people is a big deal to Singapore but nothing to Indonesia because they have 200 million people lah. So this defense argument doesn't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    u sure anot....elites mabe...but all foreigners/PR got priority to leave....? care to elaborate more?

Just look at Japan. Who are the ones chartering the flights out? And as a country, we have to make sure that we stay behind to protect our own people, while our guests from other countries leave first, so that we don't offend the other countries..... In times of crisis, usually foreigners have priority to leave.
    i wud say rich and powerful got the chance to leave first....not just any foreigners/PR....

as a country, male citizens below mabe 55yo goto stay put...for sure one(no way govt gona let u go).....but tink families can leave if u got the connection/moolah

And nuclear plant as a defense strategy is such a joke. Once a bomb hit a plant, entire Singapore will be wiped out. Our neighbouring countries are larger in size and population - its easy for them to evacuate to safety zone. In fact, it makes a small country like Singapore even more vulnerable. The indonesians can drop a bomb and still at a safety distance. And losing 4 million people is a big deal to Singapore but nothing to Indonesia because they have 200 million people lah. So this defense argument doesn't fly.
    den one can argue....y we nid to serve NS???

one atomic bomb and we r gone

The ones chartering out are the elite. Those who can afford to charter a flight out. You think Filipino maids in Japan can charter flight out?
    Moral of story is: be rich, anything happens, you can fly out.

I am glad you don't take me seriously. Thanks. I don't want Singapore government to be angry with me. Just remember, nuclear plant is only for generating electricity and not part of poison pill strategy.

If Singapore turns out to be radioactive wasteland, who benefits? Does Indonesia benefits? Does Malaysia benefits? if dont benefit, why make Singapore into a wasteland. Think!
    For your reading pleasure, please google on "Samson option".

Let me ask you a question, who control GIC, Temasek, CPF funds if Singapore occupied by foreign country, earthquake, etc. Can overseas Singaporean withdraw in embassies? Please ask your kakis this question.
    So in times of crisis, who benefit? Elites again of course.

our govt still treat foreigners so well, giving out PRs so easily and allowing them to buy up our HDB flats whether it is resale or not. I think our govt should restrict HDB flats to citizens and only those PRs who have shown proof that they have lived in singapore for a substantial amount of time.

Therein lies the problem. These foreigners are fleeing Japan at the first sign of trouble. Apparently, all the foreigners are chartering flights out of Japan. When crisis strikes, the local people are the ones who stay behind for their loved ones. Singapore already has 50% foreigners and PR. Imagine any crisis happens, these guys are the first to run. And knowing our govt, foreigners and elites will be given priority to flee, leaving behind the Singaporeans to hold the fort and save the loved ones.

It just shows no country should be overly dependent on foreigners. They are the first to evacuate at first sign of trouble.