Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [HDB News]PAP Desmond Choo:'I understand how the poor feel'.He stayed in 4-room flat

Default [HDB News]PAP Desmond Choo:'I understand how the poor feel'.He stayed in 4-room flat

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3154796

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1k...es?msg=46330.1

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...-the-poor-feel

'I understand how the poor feel'
    by Ong Dai Lin 04:46 AM Mar 22, 2011

SINGAPORE - As a child, Mr Desmond Choo lived in a maisonette and made annual trips to Hong Kong to visit his father who was working there.

But those trips stopped after his father's antique business failed and the family was plunged into financial distress.

"From being able to travel to Hong Kong every year to see him, suddenly, we had problems getting pocket money," recounted Mr Choo, 33. He added that his father had to borrow money to put food on the table.

Mr Choo's family later moved to a four-room flat where they have stayed for the last 15 years.

His family's experience helped shape his mentality that "no one should be left behind regardless of their financial situation", said Mr Choo as he explained why he entered politics.

He has also realised that his family's situation was not unique. Said Mr Choo: "Our national polices have served the majority well. However, unfortunately, some do fall through the cracks."

Mr Choo said his father is working as a security officer and would tell him of problems in the industry, such as the difficulties of working a 12-hour shift.

Mr Choo, who is also the executive secretary of the Union of Security Employees, pledged yesterday that he will help those in the security industry to "get more out of their work".

He said: "No one must be left behind and, wherever I go, I'm there to serve first and foremost before anything else."

Mr Choo is widely tipped to contest in Opposition stronghold Hougang.

On his chances of succeeding where previous PAP candidate Eric Low had failed in two attempts, Mr Choo would only say that he wanted to implement schemes to help the "many poor residents" there, for "as long as it takes".

Desmond Choo Pey Ching

NTUC youth development unit deputy director, 33

FACTFILE:

- Was in the police force for 13 years, holding appointments such as the deputy commander of Clementi Police Division

- Joined NTUC in May last year. Also the executive secretary of the Union of Security Employees.

- Since February, appointed second adviser to Hougang grassroots organisations

- Initiated in Hougang a healthcare scheme for poor residents

POSSIBLE WARD:

Hougang SMC

I did not know definition of poor in Singapore means staying in 4-room HDB flat.

That is hell of alot of poor people in Singapore then.

Bet those 1 roomers to 3 roomers will feel crap after reading his story.

Hope our wonderful and talented government do something about it.

This new PAP candidate got off to a bad start, his this statement receive alot of criticisms all over internet including TODAY website.

Great EQ from our great future leaders.

This guy is just example how much PAP had lost touch with Singaporeans compare to the first batches of PAP MPs.

Last edited by wenqing; 23-03-11 at 01:07.

wenqing: wats ur agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Now that you ask, I cannot think of one. Don't think too much.

Just sharing some public news floating on internet.

Hey, this is free advertising for PAP new candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    Now that you ask, I cannot think of one. Don't think too much.

Just sharing some public news floating on internet.

Hey, this is free advertising for PAP new candidate.
    its a political news rather den ppty news wor...

i participate actively in this forum becoz i am a ppty enthu particularly pte ppty....

u shd goto proper forum/channel tat suit ur interest?

Lol , political news is not a bad thing, it is a normal thing.

Besides it is news already made public for all to see and hear.

I am just jumping in since everyone is so passionate debating about Minister Pay Raise 2011 in other thread.

It is good healthy debate and value-add knowledge.

i participate actively in this forum becoz i am a ppty enthu particularly pte ppty....

Bet you learnt alot these short period of time.

Once in 5 years, do not be so fussy lah.

How many 5 years do you have ??

Bet you learnt alot these short period of time.

Once in 5 years, do not be so fussy lah.

How many 5 years do you have ??

i am here bcoz this is a primarily a condo forum wor....i am sure there r other political forums rite? y spread politics here...?

i m not into polictics la....not my cup lor....if got opposition contest my area....den i will go listen listen and decide who to vote lor....vy simple lor....

i am here bcoz this is a primarily a condo forum wor....i am sure there r other political forums rite? y spread politics here...?

i m not into polictics la....not my cup lor....if got opposition contest my area....den i will go listen listen and decide who to vote lor....vy simple lor....
    Since you agree burden is on readers , not writers then skip this thread then.

You can ignore which you always do.

I am just jumping in since everyone is so passionate debating about Minister Pay Raise 2011 in other thread.

post under proper thread? coffeeshoptalk....tok anything under the sun yay

Since you agree burden is on readers , not writers then skip this thread then.

You can ignore which you always do.
    but i dunwan u to turn this forum into a political forum!!!

Don't worry next upgrading plan will add 1 room to all, so 4 room flat becomes 5 room. Govt will upgrade for you and you just need to chip in a bit.

wenqing,

you are spamming this forum with politics.

I did not know definition of poor in Singapore means staying in 4-room HDB flat.

That is hell of alot of poor people in Singapore then.

Bet those 1 roomers to 3 roomers will feel crap after reading his story.

Hope our wonderful and talented government do something about it.

This new PAP candidate got off to a bad start, his this statement receive alot of criticisms all over internet including TODAY website.

Great EQ from our great future leaders.

This guy is just example how much PAP had lost touch with Singaporeans compare to the first batches of PAP MPs.

u are a problem old man. u oppose everything PAP does. told u many time if u are gutsy enough stand out and talk don hide behind the computer. u are more of personal anger towards the govt than discussion. hopeless man!!

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    u are a problem old man. u oppose everything PAP does. told u many time if u are gutsy enough stand out and talk don hide behind the computer. u are more of personal anger towards the govt than discussion. hopeless man!!
    If this is what you think, I cannot control your thoughts.

Whatever was posted are facts from MSM.

So if you cannot accept and reconcile facts and truth, do not find others to blame.

Your blind support will come back to haunt you someday but thats your right.

So far, you had fail to justify the support for government performance past 5 years besides making personal attacks and insults.

If thats all you can resort too, it entrenches the fact Singapore system is not well.

What is ST's and CNA's agenda.

How about the agenda of other threads about Oppositon wards ??

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    wenqing,

you are spamming this forum with politics.
    I think you should fully understand the word spamming before loosely using it.

I don't regard this as spamming, if not , other threads not started by me is also regarded as spamming already.

Aiyo you should just say this is not like any other political news - there is mention of property in headline. 4 room hdb.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Aiyo you should just say this is not like any other political news - there is mention of property in headline. 4 room hdb.
    Sorry my mistake.

Now that I fully read the article, I realised whoever quoted the article either accidentally or deliberately took it out of context. Note that if one's mind is not thinking clear without bias, everything they see or read may be tainted. The 'poor' period of the minister life is right after his dad business failed and when he barely had pocket money. It was not referring to the part after that difficult period when they finally got better and stay in 4 room hdb.

KNN is desmond choo trying to insult singaporeans living in 4rm flats? Some people earning give figure monthly salaries choose to live in 4 rm hdb flats so are they poor? So just because he is an mp now, he made it from rags to riches so can call 4rm hdb dwellers poor? These is the quality of pap candidates? Omg

What is ST's and CNA's agenda.

How about the agenda of other threads about Oppositon wards ??
    U r the one who started most of these political related threads in this condo forum!!! Tats y i ask ur agenda of doing tat.... Newspaper aso got diff sections!!! I like to read money section for eg n will b turn off if they add in such stuff under tat section!

I oredi suggested u to go to other forum tat suits ur topic or kindly just post it under coffeeshop talks.... Tks

If this is what you think, I cannot control your thoughts.

Whatever was posted are facts from MSM.

So if you cannot accept and reconcile facts and truth, do not find others to blame.

Your blind support will come back to haunt you someday but thats your right.

So far, you had fail to justify the support for government performance past 5 years besides making personal attacks and insults.

If thats all you can resort too, it entrenches the fact Singapore system is not well.

the fact is the candidate stay in 4 room flat. the fact is he went thru poor. this is the fact right. what is the issue?

did spore scrap thru global crisis? and rebound with 14.5% growth? then u said the figure can be twisted.
    govt used past reserve to help save job. u not happy becos u think our reserve guardian did not do his job to guard the reserve.
    is this not performing?
    what did the opposition doing when we are facing crisis? govt want to use reserve to save job, opposition ask why not channel the money to the worker instead to tide over the crisis. this is short sighted. they only apply medicine on the wound not considering the long term result.

I oredi suggested u to go to other forum tat suits ur topic or kindly just post it under coffeeshop talks.... Tks
    I am sure Mr Funny will do that appropriate action.

goes to show how out of touch the men in white are.

dont be naive, politics affect EVERYTHING

dont like to read no one force u to, just learn to ignore what u dislike

Quote Originally Posted by august

opposition supporters like to call ppl ignorant? den now naive?

i said very clearly: post it under the right section and or better still...other suitable forum

cannot simply say: ignore wat u dislike....its irresponsible.....

dun tell me u aso agree : burden lies on reader/buyer and not writer/agt/seller?

both parties r responsible yay

Quote Originally Posted by august

how can say like that, there's a time and place for everything.
    You don't do a political monologue inside an MRT train do you. The passengers can ignore if they dislike.
    Or in the office, you do a diatribe against your managers. The managers can ignore if they dislike also right? You tell your manager nobody force him to listen to you.
    this is a property forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    the fact is the candidate stay in 4 room flat. the fact is he went thru poor. this is the fact right. what is the issue?

did spore scrap thru global crisis? and rebound with 14.5% growth? then u said the figure can be twisted.
    govt used past reserve to help save job. u not happy becos u think our reserve guardian did not do his job to guard the reserve.
    is this not performing?
    what did the opposition doing when we are facing crisis? govt want to use reserve to save job, opposition ask why not channel the money to the worker instead to tide over the crisis. this is short sighted. they only apply medicine on the wound not considering the long term result.
    You are really out of touch and funny.

Go and read up more before posting inaccurate stuff.

The entire world came out from financial crisis , not just Singapore.

Hong Kong was the first and North Korea was not even affected, so their governments the best ??

Besides, it was the unprecedented world governments pumping in record rescue packages that save the day, not PAP.

I think you are those type that thinks PAP can make earth rotate backwards.

Governments use reserve for Job Credit scheme but companies apply this to their balance sheet and use it to keep jobs of foreigners as well as Singaporeans in the companies.

Singaporean taxpayer money , foreign worker also have a share, the execution was greatly flawed.

China government already said GDP figures can be man-made.

You can believe all you want but most Singaporeans do not feel any different or affected by the good figures.

Only Civil Service depends on GDP figures for salary raise and bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Now that I fully read the article, I realised whoever quoted the article either accidentally or deliberately took it out of context. Note that if one's mind is not thinking clear without bias, everything they see or read may be tainted. The 'poor' period of the minister life is right after his dad business failed and when he barely had pocket money. It was not referring to the part after that difficult period when they finally got better and stay in 4 room hdb.

The article put it quite clearly staying in 4 room HDB flat was part of the 'poor period' for him.

He moved from a maisonette to 4 room flat.