Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: WP rep is cool....but the rest.....

$147,000 C-class bill
    SATURDAY, JANUARY 29, 2011 AT 1:27PM
    Editor's Note: A hard working individual who works in an industry which most Singaporeans shunt, got injured and subsequently plagued with high hospitalisation bill. Class C by the way is the cheapest class hospitalisation available here. The reason given by the restructured hospital (a sugar-coated term for public-sector hospital) is absurb in that work related injury are not covered by government subsidy. There are two serious lapses here: 1) the super high cost of hospital bill even for a lowest class ward and 2) the policy loophole of the $25000 cap to be paid by the employer. To be fair to the employers and employees, the government subsidy should kick in over and above the $25000 to help the poor to handle the high hospitalisation bill if the government is serious in encouraging hard working individuals to contribute to the society.

ST Forum
    Home > ST Forum > Story
    Jan 29, 2011
    THE CASE
    Worker served with $147,000 C-class bill

I HAD an accident at work last June. Initially, the interim hospital bill from the National University Hospital indicated a subsidy.

But when the final bill was given to me, I was shocked. The bill for my stay at a C-class ward amounted to an unsubsidised total of $147,000.

I was discharged on Aug 13 last year and the reason for the difference between what was stated in the interim bill and the final one was not explained at all.

Only after I asked was I told that the Ministry of Health had withdrawn the subsidy as the accident was work- related.

About a month after my discharge, I applied for a waiver of the outstanding amount of about $122,000 through my MP. This was after my company had paid $25,000.

As far as I am aware, the hospital did not reply to the appeal.

Three months later, after more deductions from my MediShield ($41,000) and Medisave accounts ($31,000), I was informed that the hospital was in the process of scheduling an instalment payment plan for the remaining $50,000.

Needless to say, my family and I are plagued by anxiety. I am 54 years old and work in the construction sector; my wife works part-time and my daughters are still in their teens.

How can an average Singaporean worker like me support a family, pay off a huge hospital bill and still find more money to pay for subsequent medical requirements arising from the accident and treatment?

If I had been given a subsidy, I would not have been burdened by this unexpectedly trying financial circumstances.

Tan Guan Seng 

And I recently heard someone saying medical bills in Singapore are reasonable?
    Yes and I also remember someone said his medical bill for heart bypass was only $8. How would this poor guy feel now?
    I suspect the bulk of that bill comes not from the class of his ward but rather the doctor and medical fees! Subsidies are meant to help the poor and if its meant to help, why so many restrictions not related to financial state of the person? So its not really meant to help the poor but to press others to help them instead?
    Last edited by ysyap; 26-04-11 at 05:37.

how come medishield subsidize so little only....

mine is 'as charged'.....wah lau....scary la

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    They did before but PM Lee said only reveal to Cabinet which is more than enough. No need to reveal to Parliament and Media.

If the Singapore Media got BBC and CNN standard, can go and investigate but none did so far.
    well, the opposition can make it an election point again. Transparency in government. Lets be No.1 in anti-corruption worldwide.
    How to be a First World Parliament or First World Government if no transparency in wealth of office holders when other countries have such laws

Perhaps they can linked the high salaries of ministers with the wealth they accumulated.
    Psychologically speaking, $1.5million/month is not as impactful as accumulated $18mil/year or ~$90million/5 term. How many GCB goes minister-so-so have? That would make more of an impact to voters rather than $1.5million/month salary.

Tactically speaking, the Opposition need a sacrifice. The Sacrifice need to say that Minister-so-so have so many GCB, so much assets, cash.
    That minister-so-so will either 1) keep quiet or 2) sue for libel.
    1) if keep quiet, the Sacrifice will keep on repeating and eventually public will believe the Sacrifice.
    2) if sue for libel, during court proceedings, the wealth will be revealed, just like that NKF thing. Of course, he will be sued for damages.
    Perhaps Opposition didnt push issue because they have own skeletons? ie CST and LTK also very rich?

Quote Originally Posted by marktkt22
    Many year ago, i stay in ayer rajah. The pap candidate dr tan cheng bock, he really is the kind that walked around every week, met the pple, help them with problem, and contest every election on his own merit. I doubt we can find such gd calibre candidate. I Heard his speech as a back bencher in parliament, sharp, incisive, with depth.

Yes he is a good man, I still can remember him offering free medicine and consultation to very poor people who came to see him when he was a GP many many years ago at that time I was still a teenager than...alot of residents treated him with utmost respect sincerely whenever he goes...

he is a man who speaks out and dare to give different views in parliament debate and fight for the people benefits unlike most of the yes men nowadays who support blindly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    there are hundreds of types of drugs that people take everyday for long term illness. You are fit and healthy so you don't know what it is like to be on long term medication, but let me tell you, the medicine alone can drain an average man of his savings. Nexium is just an example of an ordinary drug to treats acid reflux and gastric, but there are many more types of drugs that cost a lot more (on a per tablet basis) that even if they are subsidised, it still run to the hundreds per month. Bear in mind, this is just for drugs. What about those on long term kidney dialysis? Do you have any idea how much it costs per session and how many people need to queue for their turn for dialysis due to machine shortage? I am so against raise in minister's salaries coz so much of these surplus funds can be used to buy more of these dialysis machines or help those from poor families who need money for long term medication. Also why the hell would a close to useless ceremonial figure need a pay raise to $4 million a year to carry babies, cut ribbons and wave his hand on national day? I think you really need to walk the grounds and get to know the really down and out in society to appreciate what many of us are fighting for in this forum. I can just live my high life and heck care about a lot of things, but having started from humble beginnings and seeing the plight of many underprivileged people, how can i just keep quiet about things? Just not me.
    Excellent point, I agree fully with this. Furthermore, I fell we really do not have such nice, beautiful buildings as hospitals. Air-cons, do we really need it especially in the public hospitals? I rather they use the savings to employ more doctors or pay more to the doctors so that more are attracted to the profession (maybe can even have less FT docs if more locals take up the profession). Currently, the docs are very, very over-worked.

.......... I can just live my high life and heck care about a lot of things, but having started from humble beginnings and seeing the plight of many underprivileged people, how can i just keep quiet about things? Just not me.
    I believe you are the odd one out. I read some report that those who usually rise from humble beginnings usually have less emphaty for the underprivilege. According to the this report, their thinking is "before I was poor and after I worked hard and now I achieve success, those people who remained poor must be lazy. How to emphatize with poor people? They remained poor because of laziness."
    Anyway, cheers to you.
    sidenote:
    I also read article commenting people worked and saved for years to accumulate $50.000 and yet spend less than a week to put that $50.000 in some financial products like Minibonds. Didnt do homework. Do they get what they deserved?

Quote Originally Posted by HP65
    Currently, the docs are very, very over-worked.
    Agreed. My friend is the only surgeon in her expert area in a govt hospital and when she was expecting, the hospital was unwilling to let her take leave even 1 week before the EDD.

don't be so shallow ok? education, hard work and innovation is the way to success, but look around you, not everyone is academically inclined and able to make it to the top of the academic ladder. Just ask yourself if i were to throw you the entire grey's anatomy or a book on molecular biology, can you make any sense of what is inside? Likewise, some people just cannot comprehend even simple stuff like algebra, not to mention complex chemical equations. The older generation Singaporeans don't even know English to start off. It is not about laziness coz even if you give some people all the opportunities to do well in school, their brain capacity will still be limited. There are also those that have been burdened with work all their lives to bring up children and when their children grow to become adults, just cast their parents one side. Not every unsuccessful person is lazy in life, likewise if Bill Gates starts calling non-millionaires stupid and lazy becoz they can't even make that first million all their lives, is he justified in saying that?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    I believe you are the odd one out. I read some report that those who usually rise from humble beginnings usually have less emphaty for the underprivilege. According to the this report, their thinking is "before I was poor and after I worked hard and now I achieve success, those people who remained poor must be lazy. How to emphatize with poor people? They remained poor because of laziness."
    Anyway, cheers to you.
    sidenote:
    I also read article commenting people worked and saved for years to accumulate $50.000 and yet spend less than a week to put that $50.000 in some financial products like Minibonds. Didnt do homework. Do they get what they deserved?

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    They did before but PM Lee said only reveal to Cabinet which is more than enough. No need to reveal to Parliament and Media.

If the Singapore Media got BBC and CNN standard, can go and investigate but none did so far.
    no one dare to..

but c'mon la.. we all know how filthy rich our mps r, how they dun need to squeeze mrt n bus, how they dun stay 4-room 'affordable' hdb, how they no need eat hawker, how.. too many hows liao

i hate when some MPs come on air n give a 'not-so-assuring' motherhood statement like hdb is affordable, healthcare cost is affordable n stop short of that.. no data, no stats no nothing to support..

i mean affordable to who huh? to the speaker i suppose..

i somewhat feel like im in the matrix.. im one of 5 mil battery powering Singapore Pte Ltd. n its growth-at-all-cost-nevermind-the-needy policy

http://wp.sg/wpge/

Support WP on Nomination Day (27 April 2011, Weds) 10 AM to 1.30 PM

Dear WP friends and supporters,

You are invited to support our WP candidates during nomination day at the following centres from 10.00 AM. to 1.30 PM on 27 April 2011 (Wednesday).

Attire: Light blue top.

Please take note of the advisory from our Singapore Police Force:
    • Supporters and the public are advised to arrive at nomination centres only after 10am on Wednesday, Nomination Day, when the centres are opened to the public.
    • Only vehicles with authorised parking labels will be allowed into the centres.
    • Police will provide security in and around the centres and will check bags and other belongings brought there.
    • Supporters and members of the public are advised not to bring bags to avoid any inconvenience caused from these checks.
    • No placards, flags, or banners of any candidate can be displayed in the centres before the close of nomination proceedings, said the police.
    • Police will not hesitate to take action against anyone who commits an offence at the centres or whose behaviour may lead to public order problems.

Nomination Centers:-

1. Nee Soon GRC
    Admiralty Secondary School
    Woodlands Crescent
    Singapore 737916

2. East Coast GRC and Punggol East SMC
    Bedok View Secondary School

6 Bedok South Avenue 3
    Singapore 469293

3. Aljunied GRC and Sengkang West SMC

Deyi Secondary School
    Ang Mo Kio Street 42
    Singapore 569277

4. Hougang SMC
    Dunman Secondary School
    Tampines Street 45
    Singapore 529093

5. Moulmein-Kallang GRC
    Singapore Chinese Girls’ School

Dunearn Road
    Singapore 309437

6. Joo Chiat SMC
    Tao Nan School
    Marine Crescent
    Singapore 449761

Thank you and see you there.

there are hundreds of types of drugs that people take everyday for long term illness. You are fit and healthy so you don't know what it is like to be on long term medication, but let me tell you, the medicine alone can drain an average man of his savings. Nexium is just an example of an ordinary drug to treats acid reflux and gastric, but there are many more types of drugs that cost a lot more (on a per tablet basis) that even if they are subsidised, it still run to the hundreds per month. Bear in mind, this is just for drugs. What about those on long term kidney dialysis? Do you have any idea how much it costs per session and how many people need to queue for their turn for dialysis due to machine shortage? I am so against raise in minister's salaries coz so much of these surplus funds can be used to buy more of these dialysis machines or help those from poor families who need money for long term medication. Also why the hell would a close to useless ceremonial figure need a pay raise to $4 million a year to carry babies, cut ribbons and wave his hand on national day? I think you really need to walk the grounds and get to know the really down and out in society to appreciate what many of us are fighting for in this forum. I can just live my high life and heck care about a lot of things, but having started from humble beginnings and seeing the plight of many underprivileged people, how can i just keep quiet about things? Just not me.
    *appluase* I can't agree more.

I have read a number of your posts but this one impressed me the most. The post shows how much you feel for the under privileged who are sick and in need of help and the passion you have for your belief.

Never thought that there are really abundantly rich folks that are genuinely concern about the sick under privilege and even bother to find out the cost of commonly used drugs and dialysis. This post really struck a chord with me. I could identify with the pains and worries of those down with chronic illness who could not cope with the medical cost even after subsidies.

Can I risk a guess? This passion and strong belief - is this due to a personal life experience or encounter you had during your more humble beginnings?

Quote Originally Posted by 5577

I have read a number of your posts but this one impressed me the most. The post shows how much you feel for the under privileged who are sick and in need of help and the passion you have for your belief.

Never thought that there are really abundantly rich folks that are genuinely concern about the sick under privilege and even bother to find out the cost of commonly used drugs and dialysis. This post really struck a chord with me. I could identify with the pains and worries of those down with chronic illness who could not cope with the medical cost even after subsidies.

Can I risk a guess? This passion and strong belief - is this due to a personal life experience or encounter you had during your more humble beginnings?

i think there is also exist those not so rich people (who own one to two property talk like big shot and being ass licker) who really dont care about underprivileged(you can find a few in this forum)the way they expressed themselves make me wonder are these the people that singapore has educated or are these so called FT that singapore wants to attract?? OR is it my values are outdated and this is the new thinking of the young??

one thing i note that current garmen introduce candidates who mostly presented themselves being one way or the other have suffered hardship before and being able to empathise with the commoner/underprivileged(unlike previous candidates with silver spoon, taking MRT or bus is remote to them )...of course thier empathy with the commoners as expressed and the degree of authencity is up to your judgement and your view on this...

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    i think there is also exist those not so rich people (who own one to two property talk like big shot and being ass licker) who really dont care about underprivileged(you can find a few in this forum)the way they expressed themselves make me wonder are these the people that singapore has educated or are these so called FT that singapore wants to attract?? OR is it my values are outdated and this is the new thinking of the young??

one thing i note that current garmen introduce candidates who mostly presented themselves being one way or the other have suffered hardship before and being able to empathise with the commoner/underprivileged(unlike previous candidates with silver spoon, taking MRT or bus is remote to them )...of course thier empathy with the commoners as expressed and the degree of authencity is up to your judgement and your view on this...
    very subjective....again tok is cheap.....freedom of speech

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8

govt is run like private enterprise mah ... so the candidate also must be ike that

ever watched American Idols ?.... those who have a sad story ..tend to get in ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    govt is run like private enterprise mah ... so the candidate also must be ike that

ever watched American Idols ?.... those who have a sad story ..tend to get in ... ?
    haha...yeah yeah...cry cry....win votes!

i am far from being abundantly rich, but i am at least not so hypocrital like some miw who live in $20 million bungalows and go round very occasionally to shake hands with people living in 2 room HDB flats and talk of themselves fighting for estate upgrading macham like they are the ones coming out money from their pockets for the upgrading works.

With regard to passion and belief, I have met many in this plight due to my line of business and a few of my relatives had indeed travelled to Malaysia for surgeries to remove tumour etc. It doesn't take a mass survey to find out what Sinagaporeans feel about medical cost here, ask any average bloke on the street and no one say our medical fees are low except for Tin Peiling.

tin tin tin tin

Workers party-speech by low thia khiang n slyvia lim in Deyi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYU1gA9SQ2c

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.p...-Party-Rally-1

GE: WP's election strategy a struggle but calculated risk: Low Thia Khiang
    By Ken Teh | Posted: 27 April 2011 2323 hrs

Workers' Party Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang

Special Report
    •Vote 2011

SINGAPORE : The Workers' Party (WP) said this election could end in the party losing all its elected seats in Parliament.

And its Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang said he won't take up a Non-Constituency MP position, if he loses in the GRC.

It was one of the most significant moves of the day – the WP chief himself, Mr Low, moving out of Hougang to lead the charge in Aljunied.

In the last election, WP Chairman Sylvia Lim led the Aljunied team to achieve nearly 44 per cent of the votes against the PAP team.

WP's team in Aljunied now comprises the party's Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang, Chairman Sylvia Lim, corporate lawyer Chen Show Mao, postgraduate law student Pritam Singh and freelance counsellor Muhamad Faisal Manap.

Mr Low said: "The stake is high, the risk is very high. The correct thing to do of course is to stay put in Hougang, hopefully my party chairman will lead a team and win a GRC or some others, but win a single seat.

"But I believe that is only wishful thinking, based on the way the PAP gerrymander at every election with the re-drawing of boundaries, especially to use the GRC as a tool. So we are here to break through a GRC and let them learn a lesson."

Mr Low admitted this could end up badly for his party and is a decision he has contemplated for many years.

He said: "This election is going to be a watershed election for Singapore as well as for the opposition. On 7th of May, we could end up with no elected opposition member in Parliament."

He did not want to say what he would do if his party loses the fight, except that he wouldn't take up a Non-Constituency MP seat.

He said it would be up to the party to decide who would take up an NCMP position - if the party is eligible.

Mr Low acknowledged his opponents' strength, the team led by Foreign Minister George Yeo.

Mr Low said: "I'll use one Chinese phrase to give you an answer - Aljunied is a tough fight because George Yeo has been working the ground, that is 'Ming Zhi Shan You Hu, Pian Xiang Hu Shan Xing'.

That is the spirt of the Workers' Party. Translated it means we know there is a tiger in the mountain, but we are moving towards that. We are taking it head on; we are taking the challenge and we believe the voters will make the right choice."

The single ward of Hougang will be left to Yaw Shin Leong to contest. He has been active in the Town Council and grassroots work.

"I had been working the ground and walking, do house to house visits for about three years together with Shin Leong. By now, every household in Hougang should have a namecard by Shin Leong, so we have prepared ground in Hougang. We have prepared the ground in Aljunied and thereby the decision is implemented today," said Mr Low.

"This is a very heavy responsibility, very, very heavy, but I always make myself available for Workers' Party deployment. I'm quite familiar with the Hougang ground and I will do my best," said Mr Yaw, who is contesting in Hougang.

By placing its highest profile candidates in one constituency, Aljunied, including Mr Low himself, the Workers' Party runs the risk of losing its seat in Hougang as well as Aljunied.

But its leaders said its banking on its improved slate of candidates, as well as what Mr Low said 'a sweeter ground', to score a double win in these areas.

- CNA /ls

With regard to passion and belief, I have met many in this plight due to my line of business and a few of my relatives had indeed travelled to Malaysia for surgeries to remove tumour etc. It doesn't take a mass survey to find out what Sinagaporeans feel about medical cost here, ask any average bloke on the street and no one say our medical fees are low except for Tin Peiling.
    Our minister Khaw will also agree that medical fees are low coz his bypass cost only $8. Wow! Cheaper than all 3rd world countries even...

i am far from being abundantly rich, but i am at least not so hypocrital like some miw who live in $20 million bungalows and go round very occasionally to shake hands with people living in 2 room HDB flats and talk of themselves fighting for estate upgrading macham like they are the ones coming out money from their pockets for the upgrading works.
    With regard to the 'occasional handshakes' and baby-kissing gestures, one bloke explained to me why all that are so 'occasional':

"It's because parliament dissolve le... ministers/ MPs have more time mah ... no need to work in their office.... so can come out and shake hand and carry baby lor.... Then after election, they go back to office. No need to shake hands anymore..."

My personal encounters with people in my line and my family also tells me the same. The despair, helplessness and worries on medical expenses can sometime cause more damage than the illness itself.

Maybe I should do Tin a favour and show her the medical bills for a one month stay in a C class restructured hospital after subsidies and a wad of recurring medical bills I have on hand. Then she can tell me if it is low and affordable for the average man on the street who probably can only afford a 3 room flat that comes with 30 years mortgage...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Our minister Khaw will also agree that medical fees are low coz his bypass cost only $8. Wow! Cheaper than all 3rd world countries even...
    I'm curious about which class of ward did he stay in for $8 bypass...

Then she can tell me if it is low and affordable for the average man on the street who probably can only afford a 3 room flat that comes with 30 years mortgage...
    To her it could seem quite cheap l.eh. It could be less than her handbag expenditure in one year.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Actually I still don't understand how he managed to get it done at just $8?!

Just last December my dad was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. He went to NUH and was put through a series of tests and whatever invasive instrument checks as necessitated by the Doc to produce a real time CT scanned image of the heart pumping that shows the blockage of arteries (3 lines). He was warded for 4 days 3 nights. Without doing any bypass surgery at all, just the tests and the "hotel stay Ward B2" the bill is already 4K+. Government subsidizes helps to reduce that amount to $1,500 or so. All along I got buy hospitalization insurance for my dad so I thought the insurance policy will take out the rest of the figure. Guess what? AIA says whatever items are applicable for claim is already in the government subsidy. So no other claim amount is possible nor allowed. AIA only paid a token sum of 1c ($0.01!!!) for the $1,500 bill!

Without going through the Bypass surgery, having admitted into a public hospital and not sleeping in an Aircon ward the bill is already $1,500 for a cab driver. How the hell can it be possible that a major surgery which KBW went through can only come up to just $8?! I really hoped he can showed us the bill how it is done. Any Government Servants' or Ministers' medical privilege should not be factored into the 8 bucks speech when he said it. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    To her it could seem quite cheap l.eh. It could be less than her handbag expenditure in one year.
    Then we shall see new headlines in tabloid:

Tin confirms low medical cost in Singapore
    1 month hospitalisation costing less than a handbag

With regard to the 'occasional handshakes' and baby-kissing gestures, one bloke explained to me why all that are so 'occasional':

"It's because parliament dissolve le... ministers/ MPs have more time mah ... no need to work in their office.... so can come out and shake hand and carry baby lor.... Then after election, they go back to office. No need to shake hands anymore..."
    Yeah they sit in their offices doing their usual work n earning additional on top of their mp allowances whereas mp shld be full time n not part time