Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345671217 ... LastLast

Thread: WP rep is cool....but the rest.....

MP allowance is close to $200,000 per year.

It is just MP allowance.

Minister pay is separate pay.

Quote Originally Posted by peterng8
    seriously speaking, out of the 4 opposition reps, in my view I will rank the Dr and the IT guy from opposition performed much more better...the malay guy also better than the lady...but it not easy to be an opposition party...a lot of courage is needed... should watch the chinese version which is 1 hour long and a better debate has been carried out...
    That IT guy is actually a consultant with a MNC. His name is Gerald Giam. You can read his blogs.

http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/09/your-vote-is-secret/

Your vote is secret

Many Singaporeans harbour the misconception that their vote during elections is not secret. I’ve talked to many people, both educated and less educated, and the overwhelming majority seem to think this way.

This is despite the fact that at every election, the Elections Department takes pains to communicate to voters two main points: Voting is compulsory, and voting is secret. I guess this is a point that Singaporeans just refuse to believe our government about.

It is even more unfortunate that some persist in perpetuating this urban myth, which only serves to strike more fear into the hearts of Singaporeans who are thinking of voting for the opposition.

A letter in Temasek Review today exhorted Singaporeans to spoil their votes because, the writer reasoned, then the PAP won’t “mark” you for voting against them and if there are enough invalid votes, it will indirectly increase the opposition’s share of the valid vote.

This is wrong on many counts. I’ll highlight just two: Firstly, the PAP does not know which party you voted for, so they won’t know who to “mark”, even if they wanted to.

Secondly, invalid votes do not factor in the final count, which is based on valid votes.

This means that if there were 10 votes–six for the PAP, three for the opposition and one spoiled–the final tally is 66.6 per cent to the PAP (six divided by nine, with the spoiled vote excluded), not 60 per cent.

Let’s be very clear: YOUR VOTE IS SECRET. I will take you through the whole balloting process to see why:

1. On Polling Day, each voter at the polling station is issued a ballot paper without his name on it. (I’ll talk about the serial numbers later.)

He/she marks the ballot paper in a booth out of sight of anyone else. No cameras are permitted in the polling station so there is no way to observe how voters vote.

The voter then folds up the paper and drops it in the ballot box. Throughout the day, counting agents from each party are at the polling station to ensure the ballot boxes are not opened.

2. At the close of polling, usually at 8pm on the same day, the ballot boxes are sealed with tamper-proof seals (which are signed over by the candidates) and transported to the Counting Centre.

3. At the Counting Centre, the ballot boxes from the polling stations are unsealed in the presence of the candidates and their assistants and emptied in a common heap.

The election officials (who are civil servants) then count the votes in full view of the candidates from all contesting parties, who ensure that the votes are counted properly and the election officials follow all the rules.

4. Immediately after counting, the votes, together with all the relevant records, the stubs of the ballot papers and any unused ballot papers are sealed in the boxes (again with tamper-proof seals) and transported to the Supreme Court vault for storage.

5. Six months later, if there are no disputes over the outcome of the election, the sealed boxes are transported to the incineration plant, where, in the presence of all the candidates (including the losers), the votes and records are completely destroyed by fire.

As you can see from above, at no point are the boxes opened without the candidates or representatives from all the contesting parties being present.

Frequently asked questions

Q. What about the serial numbers on the ballot papers?

This is a safeguard against election fraud such as bringing counterfeit ballot papers into the polling station, voter impersonation or casting ballot papers which have been marked by others.

Many other countries, including the UK, have numbered ballot papers. As explained above, there is no opportunity for the election officials or candidates to peek at the votes and match them against the electoral roll.

Remember there are no names on the voting slips, and if one wanted to match the serial numbers, one would have to sift through a huge list of thousands of voters in full view of the candidates.

It is possible, though, that in the event of a disputed outcome, the courts could order that the boxes be taken out of storage and the votes recounted. However this would again be done in full view of the candidates. In any case, there has been no court order issued to retrieve votes since Singapore first conducted elections in 1948.

Q. Why does the election official call out my name and voter number at the polling station before giving me the ballot paper?

So as to enable the representatives of contesting political parties at the polling station to verify and cross out your name on their copies of the electoral register. They will know you voted, but won’t know who you voted for.

Q. After elections, some politicians say certain blocks supported the ruling party or opposition. Does it mean they know my vote?

Nobody knows how each individual voted. Each polling station serves about 10 to 20 blocks of flats or a few landed housing estates. They may know the aggregated number from each polling district, but not the individual votes.
    —–

In summary, I emphasise again that voting is secret. So come the next elections, vote with your conscience, not with fear!

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    over exploitation of public funds for personal gain is not a pressing issue? If mps can't use our public funds equitably in the aspect of pay, what more is there to talk about?
    Come to think of it..... this is genius....

Give their ministers super high pay.... everyone can't stop talking about the super high pay.... everyone forget about all the other issues other than super high pay..... get to keep super high pay too....

PAP

If you don't mind that tin peiling inexperienced newbie getting paid $15k a month, why don't you set up a pro pap fan club and raise funds just to pay their millions of salaries and bonuses, in that way, taxpayers money can be put to better social use elsewhere and you and your fans can concentrate on paying mps. You may also want to organise events to raise funds for mps salaries like those nkf shows.
    Ignore him.

When he cannot argue, he just insults people.

He might be a grassroots leader or PAP member with vested interest to protect which is why he is so protective of PAP.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    I hope Potong Pasir and all singaporean give Lina Chiam a chance.

You need a lot guts to be an opposition in Singapore.

Looking at the CNA discussion, the show is really short and there's no time for the opposition party to "warm up" and they are always rush and stop by the host when they wanted to continue.

There's no doubt that this lady is sincere and honest. And I bet she will really care for her citizen.

Also, these two candidates from PAP are special selected and very experienced. If they are to have someone like Ms Tin ...Do you think she will perform better than Lina ?

I doubt.
    i more interested to give u a chance. Let us know when u coming out to be opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    i more interested to give u a chance. Let us know when u coming out to be opposition.
    Haha.

Thanks for thinking so highly of me but I am just a retiree who has pass his prime who hope to contribute as a voter and share articles whenever possible.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1k...es?msg=47069.1

Strong opposition good for party and country: Tharman

AsiaOne
    Sun, Apr 03, 2011

SINGAPORE - With the general election expected to be held soon, one of Singapore's ministers and a senior member of the leading party said on Saturday that a strong opposition is good for the country.
    RELATED STORIES

Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who is also the People's Action Party's (PAP) treasurer, said that strong opposition is good for both PAP and Singapore during a multi-party forum televised on Channel News Asia.

just some frivolities of life, statistics and media spin

check out the write-up on the new candidate from SAF. he's 42 years old and reported to have 24 years of service in the army......to me, a tinge of inflating figures as the mandatory 2.5 years of NS should be excluded, plus his days in university as an undergrad - eligible to be counted as service???

Judging from your posts, you will make a good pap lackey and mp bootlicker
    PAPsupporter=lackey?
    tat show how shallow u are. how many have voted for pap for the last GEs? so more than 90% of sporean are lackey? use yr brain.
    u always talk like u are a saint always talk abt how many poor ppl out there with no help yet minister are paying so high. ask yrself do u have the quality? if u have u can have such high pay too. since u are always care abt the poor why don u give free tuition to the poor? u run a tuition school right? wats is yr motive of running tat school? u are also conning parents' money. u are also an educator but talk without using brain.
    U think too highly of yrself. looking at yr regent height (condemn like shit before buy, praise like heavenly purchase after bought) and caspian (condemn caspian becos u didnt buy any when the price has since appreciate > 40%) already know yr character.
    so are u also opposition lackey?

Ignore him.

When he cannot argue, he just insults people.

He might be a grassroots leader or PAP member with vested interest to protect which is why he is so protective of PAP.
    u will be disspointed. i am not interested in any grassroots activity. i vote with my open eye and of course I USE MY BRAIN. not of impulsive or jealous over minister pay. i look at big picture.

is U tat has problem. u have only one goal tat is to go against pap. for wat reason? maybe u are related to opposition or maybe u are one of them. first u mentioned opposition is not given a chance to prove themselve so cannot judge them as not capable. but when lina chiam has "proven" herself she cannot make it u still ask sporean to give her a chance becos she is sincere. so u are telling ppl even lina cannot make it u still want to vote her. is obviously u have only one goal tat is to vote against PAP without any good reason. u are trying to bring harm to spore for asking ppl to vote for a uncapable ppl into the parliament!! u are hopeless!

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    u will be disspointed. i am not interested in any grassroots activity. i vote with my open eye and of course I USE MY BRAIN. not of impulsive or jealous over minister pay. i look at big picture.

is U tat has problem. u have only one goal tat is to go against pap. for wat reason? maybe u are related to opposition or maybe u are one of them. first u mentioned opposition is not given a chance to prove themselve so cannot judge them as not capable. but when lina chiam has "proven" herself she cannot make it u still ask sporean to give her a chance becos she is sincere. so u are telling ppl even lina cannot make it u still want to vote her. is obviously u have only one goal tat is to vote against PAP without any good reason. u are trying to bring harm to spore for asking ppl to vote for a uncapable ppl into the parliament!! u are hopeless!
    i goto agree tat lina and tat mly guy a BIG NO NO....
    tat Dr got some substance but i cant tahan his arrogant behaviour

gerald still da best...vote him in ok....hehe....and he openly scouting for talents to join WP....any capable individuals pls step forward

sincerity is good...but we nid more den tat....sincere+capable

Default Why I Cannot Stand PAP

On one hand, PAP candidates offer high moral reasons such as "Mother Singapore is calling and since I can help, I come out to help.... blah blah blah"

On the other hand, PAP top gun defense their position for giving high allowance so as to attract or retain "talents" for the nation...

What a lame reason. Is garment trying to price morality in exchange of service. Lastly, do you want someone who look up at $$$ to serve you?
    Daft, Dafter, Dafterest!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by westman
    On one hand, PAP candidates offer high moral reasons such as "Mother Singapore is calling and since I can help, I come out to help.... blah blah blah"

On the other hand, PAP top gun defense their position for giving high allowance so as to attract or retain "talents" for the nation...

What a lame reason. Is garment trying to price morality in exchange of service. Lastly, do you want someone who look up at $$$ to serve you?
    yes...i am disgusted by their pay too...however, we shdnt simply vote any opposition IN based on tat hor....i only wants capable opposition

I don't get paid a cent from government coffers and every cent i earn is through hard work and risks that i take. I did not say all voters who vote for PAP are pap lackeys, I was referring to you being a lackey, judging by your posts and the things you said in defense of your beloved pap. The issue as to why i bought regent heights (which is currently seeing 50% of return on investment in paper gains and achieving 4.9% rental yield) has already been explained in detail in another thread, so i find it meaningless talking to you about it here. By the way, regent heights looks ten times nicer than Caspian and at least i do not get an MRT track facing the unit i bought.

PAPsupporter=lackey?
    tat show how shallow u are. how many have voted for pap for the last GEs? so more than 90% of sporean are lackey? use yr brain.
    u always talk like u are a saint always talk abt how many poor ppl out there with no help yet minister are paying so high. ask yrself do u have the quality? if u have u can have such high pay too. since u are always care abt the poor why don u give free tuition to the poor? u run a tuition school right? wats is yr motive of running tat school? u are also conning parents' money. u are also an educator but talk without using brain.
    U think too highly of yrself. looking at yr regent height (condemn like shit before buy, praise like heavenly purchase after bought) and caspian (condemn caspian becos u didnt buy any when the price has since appreciate > 40%) already know yr character.
    so are u also opposition lackey?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    yes...i am disgusted by their pay too...however, we shdnt simply vote any opposition IN based on tat hor....i only wants capable opposition
    Bro, agreed with you that we should not oppose for the sake of opposing.
    However, I'm very concern with the way Singapore Garment evolving....

1) $$$ rules. Eg, with $125Millions donation, you can have a Hospital name after you, in this case, Devilplate Regional Hosiptal somewhere in Singapore. No $$ no talk? The 3G/4G PAP are so much different from 1G/2G candidates.

2) Efficiency for Economics grow above all else. Eg, allow more FT with objective to push growth within a short time. For sure, those garment agencies can take credit for such as good result. However, who suffered? WE! We have to endure packed MRT/bus ride, sky high housing price (we may be happy but at the expense of our future generations), job lost risk as boss often use FT to curtain local salary growth.. etc..

3) Higher Healthcare costs. KBW is a idiot in my opinion. Especially about the $8 bypassed issue and suggestion in pushing our older generation to JB for retirement is exremely hard for me to agree with.

Do you want this for the next five years?

Correction, based on my capital outlay of just $15xk, my ROI is currently 6x% based on current market value of the unit.

I don't get paid a cent from government coffers and every cent i earn is through hard work and risks that i take. I did not say all voters who vote for PAP are pap lackeys, I was referring to you being a lackey, judging by your posts and the things you said in defense of your beloved pap. The issue as to why i bought regent heights (which is currently seeing 50% of return on investment in paper gains and achieving 4.9% rental yield) has already been explained in detail in another thread, so i find it meaningless talking to you about it here. By the way, regent heights looks ten times nicer than Caspian and at least i do not get an MRT track facing the unit i bought.

Bro, agreed with you that we should not oppose for the sake of opposing.
    However, I'm very concern with the way Singapore Garment evolving....

1) $$$ rules. Eg, with $125Millions donation, you can have a Hospital name after you, in this case, Devilplate Regional Hosiptal somewhere in Singapore. No $$ no talk? The 3G/4G PAP are so much different from 1G/2G candidates.

2) Efficiency for Economics grow above all else. Eg, allow more FT with objective to push growth within a short time. For sure, those garment agencies can take credit for such as good result. However, who suffered? WE! We have to endure packed MRT/bus ride, sky high housing price (we may be happy but at the expense of our future generations), job lost risk as boss often use FT to curtain local salary growth.. etc..

3) Higher Healthcare costs. KBW is a idiot in my opinion. Especially about the $8 bypassed issue and suggestion in pushing our older generation to JB for retirement is exremely hard for me to agree with.

Do you want this for the next five years?
    for pt no.1: moi no comments

2: yes agree....nvr control properly....however, mabe we really nid a high number of immigrants to fill in the jobs as our unemployment is so low at 2%....if unempolyment rate is let say 4-5% and yet they allow so many FTs in...den smthing mus b wrong they r promoting productivity to reduce the reliance on FT especially those low wage foreign workers...which is abit too late but better den nvr rite?

3. he really said tat ar? suggesting older folks to retire in JB???

Correction, based on my capital outlay of just $15xk, my ROI is currently 6x% based on current market value of the unit.
    actual rental yield is much higher den 4.9% too....based on low low interest of 1.5% now

i did some calculation....most of my rental yield is double digit based on today's super low low interest rate...if i borrow more last time like 80%...surely MORE yield....HUAT ARGH!

for pt no.1: moi no comments

2: yes agree....nvr control properly....however, mabe we really nid a high number of immigrants to fill in the jobs as our unemployment is so low at 2%....if unempolyment rate is let say 4-5% and yet they allow so many FTs in...den smthing mus b wrong they r promoting productivity to reduce the reliance on FT especially those low wage foreign workers...which is abit too late but better den nvr rite?

3. he really said tat ar? suggesting older folks to retire in JB???
    For KBW's comment check http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/mediaforums.aspx?id=21064

Someone wrote to MOH to proetest again KBW's statement of retiring at JB...
    Below is MOH replied.

Mr Raymond Fernando felt that "Placing old folks in JB nursing homes (is) not a viable option" (TNP, 16 Feb 09). He felt disappointed that the Health Minister should make such a suggestion. Actually, my Minister's observation about the different cost structures in JB and Singapore and that the nursing homes there, besides many other services, were already catering to some Singaporeans, has been unfortunately spun out of context.
    How the elderly sick should be looked after is something for the family to resolve. All elderly would like to age at home, in the company of their loved ones. The vast majority of the elderly Singaporeans live with their children under the same roof and we commend and encourage this.
    But a small minority of the elderly do fall sick, some require a few days or weeks of hospital care, while others need a few weeks, or even months of nursing home care. We promote home nursing, but in some cases this is just not practical for care givers who need to work.
    For the low income group who require nursing home care, heavy Government subsidy ensures that their nursing home needs in Singapore are affordable. Charities also come in to supplement where appropriate.
    For the higher income group, they have choices. Most use local nursing homes, but some find it useful to cross borders to stretch their retirement savings. We don't think these people would welcome any move to stop them from exercising that choice. In fact, is there a need to? Indeed, my Minister's comments arose out of the many requests to allow their Medisave to be used for cheaper hospital care in neighbouring countries.
    Nursing homes are NOT homes for the aged where the elderly are abandoned by the children. Mr Fernando is a well-known caregiver who never gives up on his loved one. This is a value which our society should celebrate and emulate.

Shortly after the event, KBW denied such suggestion as he claimed media twisted is message (Another Ng Eng Han's example in mother tongue). See below for KBW denial...http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/03...-were-twisted/

mabe its a honest mistake? lets move on....

btw, is medishield insurance alone sufficient for hospitalization coverage these days?

i am getting worried wor....

some say cancer is still a rich's man disease

no one is interested in yr self praise glory. i do not get anything from govt as well but i said before i vote with my open eye and brain. and u calling ppl lackey only show how low graded personality u have. if u gutsy enough, stand out and oppose openly like a MAN, don like wenqing, wear dress and hide behind the computer and "cow pek cow boo" and calling ppl name. u are another hopeless man. why don u just concentrate in yr conning parent business and keep quite. i pity those student who attended yr class must have brainwash by such a despicable tutor...sigh...

mabe its a honest mistake? lets move on....

btw, is medishield insurance alone sufficient for hospitalization coverage these days?

i am getting worried wor....

some say cancer is still a rich's man disease
    sufficient if you have just need painkillers for headache and syrup for coughs.

cancer? dream on! medishield covers the basics, not state-of-the-art medication that works like targeted missiles on cancer cells. medishield provides for use of old-school, napalm-carpet-bomb type of drugs.

all this rhetoric about healthcare costs in Singapore being kept low is BS, as that's only from the government's kitty. When you take into account what patients pay out of pocket, the cost of healthcare is comparable to the West. It's just a matter of who bears the burden.

no one is interested in yr self praise glory. i do not get anything from govt as well but i said before i vote with my open eye and brain. and u calling ppl lackey only show how low graded personality u have. if u gutsy enough, stand out and oppose openly like a MAN, don like wenqing, wear dress and hide behind the computer and "cow pek cow boo" and calling ppl name. u are another hopeless man. why don u just concentrate in yr conning parent business and keep quite. i pity those student who attended yr class must have brainwash by such a despicable tutor...sigh...
    Criticise PAP = kpkb

Criticise Opposition = Got Brains.

Yep, you are confirmed a PAP parrot who just repeat PAP mantra with no thought analysis.

Even Ministerial Pay is not abuse and greed, then what is abuse and greed ?

I agree such payscale in Big Businesses because of fluctuating company performance every year and is much more risky with little job security every year. Even CEOs can be sacked and replaced easily.

Compare to Minister's every 5 years job guarantee and even when make bread & butter mistakes relevant to ministries, nothing happens to the Ministers.

Even CNN took up this pay issue which CNA and ST do not dare to do and compare.

Looking at your past arguments, when it is proven shallow , you just insult.

No wonder you lose credibility.

i goto agree tat lina and tat mly guy a BIG NO NO....
    tat Dr got some substance but i cant tahan his arrogant behaviour

gerald still da best...vote him in ok....hehe....and he openly scouting for talents to join WP....any capable individuals pls step forward

sincerity is good...but we nid more den tat....sincere+capable
    I do not take that as arrogant.

It is debating behaviour especially when he got less time than PAP Minister to educate viewers about his party vision.

Criticise PAP = kpkb

Criticise Opposition = Got Brains.

Yep, you are confirmed a PAP parrot who just repeat PAP mantra with no thought analysis.

Even Ministerial Pay is not abuse and greed, then what is abuse and greed ?

I agree such payscale in Big Businesses because of fluctuating company performance every year and is much more risky with little job security every year. Even CEOs can be sacked and replaced easily.

Compare to Minister's every 5 years job guarantee and even when make bread & butter mistakes relevant to ministries, nothing happens to the Ministers.

Even CNN took up this pay issue which CNA and ST do not dare to do and compare.

Looking at your past arguments, when it is proven shallow , you just insult.

No wonder you lose credibility.

so wat is yr motive for pleading sporean to vote for lina chiam knowing that she cannot make it. can u explain why u need a not capable in parliament? sincere? from beginning to now u keep bugging on minister pay check. tats why i asked u before, if take out the pay issue, how u grade govt? is it worse than someone who, a vice chairman of the team but don know abt national issue, have no plan for the team, cannt even get the basic fact right for debate and keep saying "please correct me if i am wrong"

Students cme to my centres coz my tutors are all well qualified and provide good service. I have more than 1000 students and if we are doing a bad job, why would many civil servants and pap supporters still send their kids to my tuition centres. Good out not is for students and parents involved to judge, not you.

so wat is yr motive for pleading sporean to vote for lina chiam knowing that she cannot make it. can u explain why u need a not capable in parliament? sincere? from beginning to now u keep bugging on minister pay check. tats why i asked u before, if take out the pay issue, how u grade govt? is it worse than someone who, a vice chairman of the team but don know abt national issue, have no plan for the team, cannt even get the basic fact right for debate and keep saying "please correct me if i am wrong"
    between lina chiam and tin pei ling, i would choose the former at any time.
    between the devil and the deep blue sea, i'd rather take the plunge

Just cut MP's pay by 60% and no additional allowances, see how many will continue to serve.. these are the ones who serve the nation not on $$$....