Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: WP rep is cool....but the rest.....

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    What's the point of having meet the people sessions only once every election year? For the first time, my MP is inviting residents from my area for a breakfast session. Never happen in last 5 years I was staying here... I've seen some other constituency with their MPs meeting the people regularly like twice a year. Sigh!!! Going to hot and stuffy kopi tiam and wet market must also be done often and not once in 5 years.
    heh, i haven't seen my MP before though i've been living in the same area for the last 17 years

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    heh, i haven't seen my MP before though i've been living in the same area for the last 17 years
    i haven seen face 2 face wif our PM since i m born

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    i haven seen face 2 face wif our PM since i m born
    Now can only see PM from far..., he has got his bodyguards, maybe 1-2 MPs following, grassroots gang around him....if you get to shake his hand, better don't wash your hands, go buy 4D, maybe can "tio"

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Now can only see PM from far..., he has got his bodyguards, maybe 1-2 MPs following, grassroots gang around him....if you get to shake his hand, better don't wash your hands, go buy 4D, maybe can "tio"
    My MPs is everywhere in my neighborhood. He's out on the streets everyday... Oh I meant his banner...

wow took some time to read thru the heated discussion. interesting.

heard from reliable source voting date confirm 7th May as some have predicted.

also want to share some point from own observation.
    1) pap made a big mistake for pulling in the bitchy TNL and also tat indian dr who never serve NS
    2) digusted over minister high pay but this is beyond our control becos they call the shot. remember when they propose high adjustment, Opp debate/fight/argue but to no avail. WTF!!
    3) quite like Opp dr vincent and gerald (from the TV debate) but that lina and the malay guy cannt make it
    4) Opp so far have been debating only on internal issue like high living cost, inflation, high property price, foreign talent. but never touch issue on how to bring growth to spore, how to attract investment. i think this is very important becos spore is facing more n more competition from many countries like china, india....even m'sia if they go all out to compete with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    My MPs is everywhere in my neighborhood. He's out on the streets everyday... Oh I meant his banner...
    good one rain or shine somemore!!!!

4) Opp so far have been debating only on internal issue like high living cost, inflation, high property price, foreign talent. but never touch issue on how to bring growth to spore, how to attract investment. i think this is very important becos spore is facing more n more competition from many countries like china, india....even m'sia if they go all out to compete with us.

[/quote]

they have ideas lah ...but cannot tell us now

if not elected ..their ideas will be used by PAP ..right ?
    then how ? OPP's brilliant ideas but PAP gets the credit

they cannot patent their ideas also right ?

so dont tell until they win

wow....secret weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by RE_Owner
    wow took some time to read thru the heated discussion. interesting.

heard from reliable source voting date confirm 7th May as some have predicted.

also want to share some point from own observation.
    1) pap made a big mistake for pulling in the bitchy TNL and also tat indian dr who never serve NS
    2) digusted over minister high pay but this is beyond our control becos they call the shot. remember when they propose high adjustment, Opp debate/fight/argue but to no avail. WTF!!
    3) quite like Opp dr vincent and gerald (from the TV debate) but that lina and the malay guy cannt make it

i doubt there would be any ground-breaking, fundamental shift in policies concerning economic growth, even if the opposition does win a GRC or gain more seats. no need to fix something that ain't broken, so perhaps that's why they aren't debating about it during this GE.

another point of contention, our DPM says that don't vote for opposition cos' they aren't ready to form a government. this only goes to show a tunnel-vision mentality.

do we need the opposition to form a shadow government? perhaps, but no necessary. do we need voices from the ground to be heard, more checks and counter-balances in the government? a definite yes. a DPM barking up on the wrong tree - amazing.......

Now total new faces = 18, so 2 more to go...; These 3 new faces...think quite ok..., wonder if they are considered heavyweights by PAP, so would presume last 2 should be even bigger?

http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralE...ry_654089.html

PAP
    Apr 8, 2011

PAP provides steady hand, says DPM Teo

THE People's Action Party is the real insurance policy that Singaporeans should get to ensure their continued prosperity, said Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean on Thursday.
    He was rebutting the Workers' Party's argument that Singaporeans should vote for the opposition in case the PAP fails.
    The upcoming general election is ultimately one about who citizens can put their trust in to ensure 'a good strong government' and 'long term good' for the country, he added.
    His remarks came at the end of the introduction of the People's Action Party's sixth batch of new candidates for the general election. He is also the party's 2nd assistant secretary-general.
    The three latest candidates are: Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar, 35, an educator; Mr David Ong Kim Huat, 50, a businessman; and Mr Lawrence Wong, 39, a former civil servant.
    In his concluding remarks, DPM Teo said that Singapore had made 'vast improvements' in terms of healthcare, education, public transportation and home ownership.
    He said that compared to the United States and Britain, Singapore used to lag in these areas but now had surpassed them, 'in spite of not having any natural resources'.
    'The PAP offers a steady hand, and a proven and trusted leadership to guide us through the challenges of the years ahead,' he said.

Three more new candidates

(From left) Dr Intan Azura Mokhtar, Mr David Ong Kim Huat and Mr Lawrence Wong. -- PHOTOS: PAP

The three candidates are newcomers to the world of politics, but each have spent long years in their respective careers.
    Dr Intan, an assistant professor in policy and leadership studies in the Nanyang Technological University, has five academic degrees, including a PhD in information studies. She is married with three children.
    Mr Ong, a father of three, founded a marketing consultancy and is managing director of RedDot Publishing, a media solutions firm.
    Mr Wong spent the last 14 years in civil service. His most recent position was chief executive of the Energy Market Authority, a statutory board under the Ministry of Trade and Industry. He left his post late last month.
    The latest round of introductions on Thursday brings the total of new faces unveiled so far to 18.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

so dont tell until they win[/quote]

but don tell difficult to convince ppl leh.....how to convince ppl by telling voters "if u vote me i will show u my secret weapon"

Quote Originally Posted by ay123

so dont tell until they win
    but don tell difficult to convince ppl leh.....how to convince ppl by telling voters "if u vote me i will show u my secret weapon"[/quote]

dont tell people dont vote for them

tell ..PAP can use their ideas ....

so how ?

people will just have to take a chance...

Bro, then u must go and walup the breakfast, hope it is buffet spread...and good stuff...and not just bread & jam or kaya loti, if not complaint...

I heard from my auntie staying in Hougang opposition ward, either MP himself attend wake or his party member attend. Every single wake also attend.., few years ago, i went to my friend's father wake at Potong Pasir, my friend said Chaim party send some1 as he couldn't make it that night..., opposition really make effort and work hard for their votes..Like people also say, most people will remember what you did for them in good times, but you will never 4get those who came to your need when you are rock bottom...
    yes dat was what my friend said, every single wake in hougang, mr low or someone will confirm attend the wake...

PAP mp attending? Tan gu gu loh....most of them have outside jobs, director of this co, that co... additional pay on top of their MP pay and allowance, where got time to attend funerals?

I fear for Mr Chiam... being the longest opposition member in parliament which even Mr Goh has praised as a worthy opposition member, has decided to contest in another ward because he wants to let more opposition voices be heard in government.

It's very brave and noteworthy of him to make such a move, especially knowing that he might probably not succeed and his wife doesnt seem to have as much support as him, then not only does he fail to secure a GRC, even potong pasir is gone... that will be a very sad day for singapore politics indeed

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    but don tell difficult to convince ppl leh.....how to convince ppl by telling voters "if u vote me i will show u my secret weapon"

so how ?

people will just have to take a chance...[/quote]

tats the problem.....

if u put a prada bag and a wrap up bag side by side. tell the voter "choose the wrap up bag, u will get LV bag". if i am voter, i go for prada becos i confirm can get a prada bag...
    so tats the risk for Opp if they keep secret weapon....

Quote Originally Posted by extremme
    yes dat was what my friend said, every single wake in hougang, mr low or someone will confirm attend the wake...

PAP mp attending? Tan gu gu loh....most of them have outside jobs, director of this co, that co... additional pay on top of their MP pay and allowance, where got time to attend funerals?
    wat has attending the wake got to do with governing a country?

It's true there is no correlation, but it just shows how does the candidate carry out their job? Do they just do the superficial level needed or go beyond eg turning up at funeral wakes, making themselve visible and available for the average person, not just once in every 5 years when its voting time. What is the level of care and empathy for their constituent members.

PAP candidate always tell people they feel empathy for the people, that they share a common goal/vision (though they earn $100k in a month, compared to average singaporean earning $2k a mth, I do not know how to have a common goal in that)

You are there at their low point. The people are important enough for you to be present... fundamentals in winning the people's heart... a listening ear.

Then what has being director of another company got to do with governing a country?

Being director of a company gives you experience in managing a country?

It's another ball game all together. Instead, one can always argue that sitting on all this directorships takes your time away from your main responsibility as governing the country.

I fear for Mr Chiam... being the longest opposition member in parliament which even Mr Goh has praised as a worthy opposition member, has decided to contest in another ward because he wants to let more opposition voices be heard in government.

It's very brave and noteworthy of him to make such a move, especially knowing that he might probably not succeed and his wife doesnt seem to have as much support as him, then not only does he fail to secure a GRC, even potong pasir is gone... that will be a very sad day for singapore politics indeed
    He is a great example not only for Opposition but PAP too. At 76 years old, he's asking for new challenges. His spirit is hardly found in 3rd or even generation PAP members. He is a rare gem of the country. The country need him. He is to the opposition what LKY is to PAP. Never say die attitude. really hope he'll succeed in Bishan...

on the point about pay, i don't get it too. on one hand, pap says that they need the high pay to compensate them for sacrificing personal careers to serve in the government. opposition ups the ante by saying they will do the job full-time. then some candidates say that it's not about working full-time as an mp but being effective, which suggests there's no need to be a full-time mp.

my humble question then, if why is there a need for taxpayers to compensate mps with sky-high salaries? going by the pap candidates' argument, they can hold full-time job while being an mp too. hence, are they sacrificing their careers? probably not to such a great extent.

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    on the point about pay, i don't get it too. on one hand, pap says that they need the high pay to compensate them for sacrificing personal careers to serve in the government. opposition ups the ante by saying they will do the job full-time. then some candidates say that it's not about working full-time as an mp but being effective, which suggests there's no need to be a full-time mp.

my humble question then, if why is there a need for taxpayers to compensate mps with sky-high salaries? going by the pap candidates' argument, they can hold full-time job while being an mp too. hence, are they sacrificing their careers? probably not to such a great extent.
    When u get part-time MP, u see banners maybe twice in a 5 year term, if lucky....u get invited to meet people session once in 5 years, or even more lucky u get to shake their hand once before GE..., 4get about wakes..., if die no money to buy coffin how? No need to look for them, beg casket company, maybe at least got chance they do charity....

When u get part-time MP, u see banners maybe twice in a 5 year term, if lucky....u get invited to meet people session once in 5 years, or even more lucky u get to shake their hand once before GE..., 4get about wakes..., if die no money to buy coffin how? No need to look for them, beg casket company, maybe at least got chance they do charity....

hahahaha

thats our leaders ... why waste time on those who can no longer give you that vote, those who are very sick people , dying, or dead ..

no heart one lah

I'm sure they'll help lah... just maybe must fill up application form and wait 2 weeks to process your application...

so how ?

people will just have to take a chance...
    tats the problem.....

if u put a prada bag and a wrap up bag side by side. tell the voter "choose the wrap up bag, u will get LV bag". if i am voter, i go for prada becos i confirm can get a prada bag...
    so tats the risk for Opp if they keep secret weapon....[/QUOTE]

Now PAP's special weapon is their Kate Spade bag

Latest batch of pap more like perlini bag
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    tats the problem.....

so tats the risk for Opp if they keep secret weapon....
    Now PAP's special weapon is their Kate Spade bag [/QUOTE]

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    Latest batch of pap more like perlini bag

[/quote] Good one...

It's about taking care of the people who live in that estate/constituency..., strange...suddenly become bag comparison. Tell them to the Ah Pek and Ah Siok living in rented HDB, for sure when they are young they look like LV, now maybe NTUC bag at most..., Leaders also the same....when young can chiong, old...also can still contribute and serve, but doesn't look so good anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix

LOL!!!

That is a good one... and sekali the Kate Spade bag is cheong one....lagi worse

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singa...13458-559.html

PAP should stop ‘belittling’ opposition: Chiam

By Faris Mokhtar | SingaporeScene – 1 hour 16 minutes ago

Mr Chiam said that a two-party system is important in case something happens to one of the parties. (Yahoo! Ph …

Veteran opposition Member of Parliament Chiam See Tong has called on Singapore's ruling People's Action Party (PAP) to stop "belittling" the opposition.
    Speaking at his Meet-the-People Session (MPS) at Potong Pasir on Thursday, the 76-year-old said, "Ever since the PAP got into power, they have always been belittling the opposition."

“I think we have about enough men in the opposition to field two A-teams. They (PAP) always think that they have the monopoly of talent, but I think it's incorrect.”
    Chiam who is the secretary-general of the Singapore's People Party (SPP) was referring to recent statements made by PM Lee Hsien Loong that a two-party system is "not workable" because there is simply not enough talent to have two top "A-teams" govern Singapore.
    "In case something happens to the so-called PAP 'A-team', what will Singapore be left with? We will be left in a lurch and sometimes it is too late to assemble another 'A-team'," he added.
    Turning to the General Election, which is expected to be held soon, Chiam shot down suggestions that his party, the Singapore People's Party, tie up with the National Solidarity Party (NSP).
    Chiam, who will be contesting the Bishan-Toa Payoh group representation constituency (GRC) said, "We have our own team."
    The MP also said the SPP is set to unveil a "big surprise" this coming Sunday, when it is expected to reveal its line-up of candidates that will challenge the PAP team led by Ministers Wong Kang Seng and Ng Eng Hen.
    Yahoo! Singapore understands that the "big surprise" refers to the introduction of two potential candidates who are currently based overseas. A party source said that the two men had been courted by the PAP before but turned the ruling party down.
    Other potential candidates who may be fielded include 38-year-old Juliana Juwahir, a member of the party's woman wing committee, as well as SPP's first assistant secretary-general, Wilfred Leung.
    'Positive feedback on Lina'
    While Chiam will be running in Bishan-Toa Payoh, his wife, Lina Chiam, 62, will be going up against PAP's likely candidate Seetoh Yi-Pin in Potong Pasir.
    While the latter has lost in the last two elections, the margin won by MP Chiam hovered around the "just pass" mark of 55 percent, perhaps a sign of his diminishing influence.
    When asked whether the statistics bothered him, Chiam simply said, "To me a win is a win. The main thing in an election is a win, whether it's by 2 per cent or 3 percent or whatever. As long as you win, it's good enough. I am not worried about the percentages."

Mr Chiam says that he has been encouraged by the feedbacks from residents on his wife, Lina. (Yahoo! Photo).

On the other hand, the opposition stalwart said that he is encouraged by the positive feedback given by the residents about his wife standing in as a candidate.
    "The feedback has been very good and I am very encouraged by the feedback. The feedback has been very consistent, up till today. Everywhere we go we are welcomed with open arms," said Chiam, who has been the MP of the single-member ward since 1984.
    His wife, who was also at the MPS session, told Yahoo! Singapore, "I wouldn't want to rate my chances. I'm just trying my very best to campaign for this election. This is up to the people of Potong Pasir, it's up to them who they want to vote (for) and I respect their wishes."
    "Having said that, I will try my very best to win their hearts and minds, that they should vote for me because I will be able to carry on the work of my husband," she said.
    When asked on her thoughts of going up against Seetoh, Lina said that each of them have a different brand of politics but said that they shared a cordial relationship.
    "Mr Seetoh and I are sociably very good friends, we have no quarrels, I wish him the best. Each one of us have our own brand of politicking and well we will congratulate each other whoever wins".

interesting... i wonder who these 2 men are, that they turn PAP down and yet join Opposition...

No wonder PAPs are left with new candidates with the likes of TPL, the foreign doctor who do not even serve NS, Desmond Choo who thinks 4 room flat is poor and Yen Ling who only help out at meet the people session 2 mths before elections.

Seems like all the good calibre private sector people with a passion to serve are joining the opposition camp instead.