Thread: Prices on the up and up in Bedok Reservoir

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Prices on the up and up in Bedok Reservoir

http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapor...ry_653775.html

Apr 7, 2011

Prices on the up and up in Bedok Reservoir

By Daryl Chin

THERE are few better places to witness the rise and rise of suburban condominium prices than Bedok Reservoir.

From the window of his four-room flat in the area, operations officer Harry Quek has a bird's eye view of this.

The condominiums being built just a stone's throw away are a constant reminder to the 49-year-old - who lives with his mother, wife and son - of his desire to upgrade his home.

'I thought if I saved up enough, I would be able to afford one nearby by now,' he says ruefully. 'But looking at prevailing prices and increasing medical expenses as we get older, I doubt that is a possibility.'

Mr Quek says he bought his flat in 1999 for about $260,000 and it can now fetch about $350,000.

But prices for the condominiums have been accelerating much faster and are now beyond his reach.

Within a decade, at least eight condominiums have sprouted up on the edge of Bedok Reservoir, an area more commonly associated with public housing estates.

With each launch, prices have been ratcheting up.

The first couple of developments - Aquarius By The Park and The Clearwater - were launched in 1999 at around $460 to $480 per square foot (psf). Baywater was launched in 2004 at $500 psf.

By the time Waterfront Waves and Waterfront Key were launched in 2008 and 2009 respectively, the prices had hit $800 psf.

The latest launches - Waterfront Gold and Waterfront Isle - have seen units sold at just over $1,000 psf, meaning that launch prices have more than doubled in just over 10 years.

Home owners like Madam Ho Lai Ping, who lives in Aquarius By The Park, are clearly delighted.

She was one of the first few buyers of the project, paying about $610,000 for a 1,540 sq ft unit. Recently, she received a million-dollar offer for it.

But she is not selling. 'It's a gold mine which will appreciate when more amenities like the Bedok Reservoir MRT station come up,' she says.

'When my two children are older and want to move out, I can sell it and move to somewhere smaller and, hopefully, a lot cheaper.'

A 16-station Downtown Line Stage 3 will run underground through the Singapore Expo, Bedok Reservoir, MacPherson, Jalan Besar and Sungei Road areas.

Work will start in the second quarter of this year and be completed by 2017.

Earlier this year, the Housing Board revealed a $1 billion Remaking Our Heartland plan which will benefit Hougang, East Coast and Jurong Lake.

Bedok Reservoir will be spruced up and have new food and beverage outlets and cycling paths over the next five years.

These are some of the reasons HDB upgraders from other areas, like Mr Leong A.K., 43, who currently lives in a four-room unit in Hougang, want to move into the area.

'I'm looking at both public and private but private is getting pricier, which means I should have acted earlier,' he said. 'So far the HDB resale market seems more attractive.'

PropNex spokesman Adam Tan said resale flat prices in Bedok Reservoir might rise with buyers like Mr Leong refocusing their priorities, and with new amenities and better connectivity coming up.

Mr Quek is watching and waiting, hopeful that this might somehow help his upgrading dream.

'Maybe in future, I can sell my place for more and then we'll see,' he said.

Then 5 years later, 1300 psf is a norm

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb
    that statement is scary

Eh... Now already like that right?

Maybe 2 years from now for those OCR, not near MRT is norm

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Ah i see. Yep now 1300psf is only std for RCR near mrt...

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    So where are some OCR that can command $1300 psf today and over the next 2 years???

Potong Pasir.
    Bartley

Any other suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    So where are some OCR that can command $1300 psf today and over the next 2 years???

Potong Pasir.
    Bartley

Any other suggestion?
    My Manhattan in Simei already this price.
    Centro residences in AMK.
    Lakefront residences in jurong reaching this price also.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    And upcoming Bedok mrt project - double confirm!

$1mio for 1540sqft. if that's not ground floor, then that's a low ball offer.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Bishan plot by Capitaland.

bishan plot is RCR....

i tink tat bartley plot just within RCR boundary too?

Potong Pasir.
    Bartley

Any other suggestion?
    potong pasir cfm under RCR....not same league as any other OCR....tink bartley plot just within RCR?

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    bishan plot is RCR....

i tink tat bartley plot just within RCR boundary too?
    The bartley plot on land that is escalating slopes... Wow... Maybe they build balestier point style project lol

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    potong pasir cfm under RCR....not same league as any other OCR....tink bartley plot just within RCR?
    Yes yes... so one street down at Upper Serangoon Road, so many many new projects calling in at $1100 to $1200 psf, are they OCR or RCR? Bartley may not be under RCR but Braddell road should be... not very sure though... Those OCR just beside RCR very luggi. Price so high coz always kana compared to their RCR neighbor but status is one step down...

the in thing now is MRT. any land with this "R" is gold. who care is it ocr,rcr

Yes yes... so one street down at Upper Serangoon Road, so many many new projects calling in at $1100 to $1200 psf, are they OCR or RCR? Bartley may not be under RCR but Braddell road should be... not very sure though... Those OCR just beside RCR very luggi. Price so high coz always kana compared to their RCR neighbor but status is one step down...
    Same for RCR just outside CCR wat...