Thread: Take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police

Default Take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3213095

LTK : "take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police"

he said it is against the law to make such a statement and people can gather evidence of people making such statements and hand them to the police.

said during last 10 mins of the rally at bedok stadium

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...w/190806675782

Daily Quote> "Take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police" - Low Thia Khiang, The Workers' Party Candidate for Aljunied GRC (30 April 2011)

http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/09/your-vote-is-secret/

Your vote is secret

By Gerald Giam
    16 September 2010 | 33,288 Reads | 87 Comments | Print | Email

Many Singaporeans harbour the misconception that their vote during elections is not secret. I’ve talked to many people, both educated and less educated, and the overwhelming majority seem to think this way.

This is despite the fact that at every election, the Elections Department takes pains to communicate to voters two main points: Voting is compulsory, and voting is secret. I guess this is a point that Singaporeans just refuse to believe our government about.

It is even more unfortunate that some persist in perpetuating this urban myth, which only serves to strike more fear into the hearts of Singaporeans who are thinking of voting for the opposition.

A letter in Temasek Review today exhorted Singaporeans to spoil their votes because, the writer reasoned, then the PAP won’t “mark” you for voting against them and if there are enough invalid votes, it will indirectly increase the opposition’s share of the valid vote.

This is wrong on many counts. I’ll highlight just two: Firstly, the PAP does not know which party you voted for, so they won’t know who to “mark”, even if they wanted to.

Secondly, invalid votes do not factor in the final count, which is based on valid votes.

This means that if there were 10 votes–six for the PAP, three for the opposition and one spoiled–the final tally is 66.6 per cent to the PAP (six divided by nine, with the spoiled vote excluded), not 60 per cent.

Let’s be very clear: YOUR VOTE IS SECRET. I will take you through the whole balloting process to see why:

1. On Polling Day, each voter at the polling station is issued a ballot paper without his name on it. (I’ll talk about the serial numbers later.) He/she marks the ballot paper in a booth out of sight of anyone else.

No cameras are permitted in the polling station so there is no way to observe how voters vote. The voter then folds up the paper and drops it in the ballot box. Throughout the day, counting agents from each party are at the polling station to ensure the ballot boxes are not opened.

2. At the close of polling, usually at 8pm on the same day, the ballot boxes are sealed with tamper-proof seals (which are signed over by the candidates) and transported to the Counting Centre.

3. At the Counting Centre, the ballot boxes from the polling stations are unsealed in the presence of the candidates and their assistants and emptied in a common heap.

The election officials (who are civil servants) then count the votes in full view of the candidates from all contesting parties, who ensure that the votes are counted properly and the election officials follow all the rules.

4. Immediately after counting, the votes, together with all the relevant records, the stubs of the ballot papers and any unused ballot papers are sealed in the boxes (again with tamper-proof seals) and transported to the Supreme Court vault for storage.

5. Six months later, if there are no disputes over the outcome of the election, the sealed boxes are transported to the incineration plant, where, in the presence of all the candidates (including the losers), the votes and records are completely destroyed by fire.

As you can see from above, at no point are the boxes opened without the candidates or representatives from all the contesting parties being present.

Frequently asked questions

Q. What about the serial numbers on the ballot papers?

This is a safeguard against election fraud such as bringing counterfeit ballot papers into the polling station, voter impersonation or casting ballot papers which have been marked by others.

Many other countries, including the UK, have numbered ballot papers. As explained above, there is no opportunity for the election officials or candidates to peek at the votes and match them against the electoral roll.

Remember there are no names on the voting slips, and if one wanted to match the serial numbers, one would have to sift through a huge list of thousands of voters in full view of the candidates.

It is possible, though, that in the event of a disputed outcome, the courts could order that the boxes be taken out of storage and the votes recounted.

However this would again be done in full view of the candidates. In any case, there has been no court order issued to retrieve votes since Singapore first conducted elections in 1948.

Q. Why does the election official call out my name and voter number at the polling station before giving me the ballot paper?

So as to enable the representatives of contesting political parties at the polling station to verify and cross out your name on their copies of the electoral register. They will know you voted, but won’t know who you voted for.

Q. After elections, some politicians say certain blocks supported the ruling party or opposition. Does it mean they know my vote?

Nobody knows how each individual voted. Each polling station serves about 10 to 20 blocks of flats or a few landed housing estates. They may know the aggregated number from each polling district, but not the individual votes.
    —–
    In summary, I emphasise again that voting is secret. So come the next elections, vote with your conscience, not with fear!

Quite tired of you already. Please go away.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    http://geraldgiam.sg/2010/09/your-vote-is-secret/

Your vote is secret

By Gerald Giam
    16 September 2010 | 33,288 Reads | 87 Comments | Print | Email

Many Singaporeans harbour the misconception that their vote during elections is not secret. I’ve talked to many people, both educated and less educated, and the overwhelming majority seem to think this way.

This is despite the fact that at every election, the Elections Department takes pains to communicate to voters two main points: Voting is compulsory, and voting is secret. I guess this is a point that Singaporeans just refuse to believe our government about.

It is even more unfortunate that some persist in perpetuating this urban myth, which only serves to strike more fear into the hearts of Singaporeans who are thinking of voting for the opposition.

A letter in Temasek Review today exhorted Singaporeans to spoil their votes because, the writer reasoned, then the PAP won’t “mark” you for voting against them and if there are enough invalid votes, it will indirectly increase the opposition’s share of the valid vote.

This is wrong on many counts. I’ll highlight just two: Firstly, the PAP does not know which party you voted for, so they won’t know who to “mark”, even if they wanted to.

Secondly, invalid votes do not factor in the final count, which is based on valid votes.

This means that if there were 10 votes–six for the PAP, three for the opposition and one spoiled–the final tally is 66.6 per cent to the PAP (six divided by nine, with the spoiled vote excluded), not 60 per cent.

Let’s be very clear: YOUR VOTE IS SECRET. I will take you through the whole balloting process to see why:

1. On Polling Day, each voter at the polling station is issued a ballot paper without his name on it. (I’ll talk about the serial numbers later.) He/she marks the ballot paper in a booth out of sight of anyone else.

No cameras are permitted in the polling station so there is no way to observe how voters vote. The voter then folds up the paper and drops it in the ballot box. Throughout the day, counting agents from each party are at the polling station to ensure the ballot boxes are not opened.

2. At the close of polling, usually at 8pm on the same day, the ballot boxes are sealed with tamper-proof seals (which are signed over by the candidates) and transported to the Counting Centre.

3. At the Counting Centre, the ballot boxes from the polling stations are unsealed in the presence of the candidates and their assistants and emptied in a common heap.

The election officials (who are civil servants) then count the votes in full view of the candidates from all contesting parties, who ensure that the votes are counted properly and the election officials follow all the rules.

4. Immediately after counting, the votes, together with all the relevant records, the stubs of the ballot papers and any unused ballot papers are sealed in the boxes (again with tamper-proof seals) and transported to the Supreme Court vault for storage.

5. Six months later, if there are no disputes over the outcome of the election, the sealed boxes are transported to the incineration plant, where, in the presence of all the candidates (including the losers), the votes and records are completely destroyed by fire.

As you can see from above, at no point are the boxes opened without the candidates or representatives from all the contesting parties being present.

Frequently asked questions

Q. What about the serial numbers on the ballot papers?

This is a safeguard against election fraud such as bringing counterfeit ballot papers into the polling station, voter impersonation or casting ballot papers which have been marked by others.

Many other countries, including the UK, have numbered ballot papers. As explained above, there is no opportunity for the election officials or candidates to peek at the votes and match them against the electoral roll.

Remember there are no names on the voting slips, and if one wanted to match the serial numbers, one would have to sift through a huge list of thousands of voters in full view of the candidates.

It is possible, though, that in the event of a disputed outcome, the courts could order that the boxes be taken out of storage and the votes recounted.

However this would again be done in full view of the candidates. In any case, there has been no court order issued to retrieve votes since Singapore first conducted elections in 1948.

Q. Why does the election official call out my name and voter number at the polling station before giving me the ballot paper?

So as to enable the representatives of contesting political parties at the polling station to verify and cross out your name on their copies of the electoral register. They will know you voted, but won’t know who you voted for.

Q. After elections, some politicians say certain blocks supported the ruling party or opposition. Does it mean they know my vote?

Nobody knows how each individual voted. Each polling station serves about 10 to 20 blocks of flats or a few landed housing estates. They may know the aggregated number from each polling district, but not the individual votes.
    —–
    In summary, I emphasise again that voting is secret. So come the next elections, vote with your conscience, not with fear!

LTK : "take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police"

he said it is against the law to make such a statement and people can gather evidence of people making such statements and hand them to the police.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-Temasek-Review/190806675782

Daily Quote> "Take picture of people who said that votes are not secret and hand it over to police" - Low Thia Khiang, The Workers' Party Candidate for Aljunied GRC (30 April 2011)
    oh, LTK is fear mongering himself......
    errr.....can take picture. but sound not recorded?
    perhaps his suggestion should be to record video instead?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...w/190806675782

weqing, don't be a black hearted person. Pls post your GE news in the thread that you started "Please post any Election News/Snippets/ Gossips here".
    Anyway I am anti-weqing. If you vote for opposition I will vote for PAP and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia
    weqing, don't be a black hearted person. Pls post your GE news in the thread that you started "Please post any Election News/Snippets/ Gossips here".
    Anyway I am anti-weqing. If you vote for opposition I will vote for PAP and vice-versa.
    Whatever did wenqing does to hurt you?
    Think you are also anti-Teddybear.
    If wenqing vote opposition and teddybear vote PAP, you have headache

He is just emphasising vote secrecy, this is not fear mongering
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    oh, LTK is fear mongering himself......
    errr.....can take picture. but sound not recorded?
    perhaps his suggestion should be to record video instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    He is just emphasising vote secrecy, this is not fear mongering
    By threatening to report to police those who say otherwise?
    I better keep my mouth shut, less he track down my IP address and notify authorities. Later I kena arrested at immigration checkpoint how?

Everybody I am wrong. There is voter secrecy afterall.
    see I am afraid of LTK's threats already.

Whatever did wenqing does to hurt you?
    Think you are also anti-Teddybear.
    If wenqing vote opposition and teddybear vote PAP, you have headache
    Teddybear has no political agenda, unlike Wenqing. I will definitely vote for PAP. Full stop.

Teddybear has no political agenda, unlike Wenqing. I will definitely vote for PAP. Full stop.
    PAP PAP PAP!!!!!!!!!

Devilplate is correct, WQ has offended some people here and turn people against opposition.
    With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Devilplate is correct, WQ has offended some people here and turn people against opposition.
    mabe WQ sent by PAP!

he told us not to assume he will vote for OPP....remember?

I seldom comment but really enjoy reading what the forumers cum ppty gurus opinion/thought on the ppty mkt. This WQ really "piXX" me off. One ANTI-VOTE to opposition.

Vote whoever you like. It is elections. It is your right.

I seriously doubt anyone here would vote because of me, you all think too highly of me and I am not the one affecting your lives.

I give you all credit to be more mature than this.

What LTK say is valid because the fear factor is still prevalent in today's electoral as seen by posts by some forumers here.

Fearmongering is commonly spread by those grassroots and activists at older and weaker voters.

I am posting under Coffeeshop Talk so I do not see any conflicts.

For those already make up your mind to vote for PAP so be it, why need to use me as excuse ?

Real mischievous.

this election very exciting leh.. got everyine hyped up.. for many, its the first time they are exercising their rights as citizens n for SG.. me too
    only pity is short of one grc being contested, wat a shame..

after this election, no matter who got elected, life still still go on.. so chill everyone

?????????

No offence, your statement is funny.

You are suppose to have political agenda during elections or else how to campaign and vote ?

Political agendas are everywhere and everyday in our lives.

When PAP candidates give political ralllies on stage, they also have their own political agenda.

Nothing wrong and it is normal to have political agenda.

Again , this is coffeeshop talk and not in conflict with any other property threads.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    this election very exciting leh.. got everyine hyped up.. for many, its the first time they are exercising their rights as citizens n for SG.. me too
    only pity is short of one grc being contested, wat a shame..

after this election, no matter who got elected, life still still go on.. so chill everyone
    If Opposition get a good result this elections, GE 2016 will see a keener contest, more choices and all areas contested for Singaporeans.

By threatening to report to police those who say otherwise?
    I better keep my mouth shut, less he track down my IP address and notify authorities. Later I kena arrested at immigration checkpoint how?

Everybody I am wrong. There is voter secrecy afterall.
    see I am afraid of LTK's threats already.
    It is not a threat but a statement and a valid statement too in today's context.

Threats are like MM Lee's 'if you vote Opposition, you have to repent' and Josephine Teo's 'If you vote Chiam, Toa Payoh would need to be treated like Potong Pasir.'

If Opposition get a good result this elections, GE 2016 will see a keener contest, more choices and all areas contested for Singaporeans.
    ya agree, if inroad is made into grc by opp.. it is progress..

What is so black hearted about starting threads in Coffeeshop Talk and a forum ?

You know the meaning of black hearted ? You know what is forums for ?

You once mention I am troublemaker by posting news and videos about Opposition which was already made public but when I ask how is it I am troublemaker, you cannot reply.

Please do not make baseless remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    ya agree, if inroad is made into grc by opp.. it is progress..
    Yep, provided if Opposition make in roads and this will encourage more quality Singaporeans to step up as candidates.

Then the quality of each election can go up.

Quality is now define only by PAP but not voters.

This is why we started having lower quality people like Tin Peiling, Foo Meehar, Dr Putil, the military generals, Steve Tan and unionists
    coming in as MPs.

I am not sure how many lower quality MPs came in this way at GE 2006.

Competition breeds quality.

This law extends to every field and industry.

with so many odds stacked against them, its an uphill battle for the opp, any opp that secures a >40% of votes to me is already a feat n victory..