Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plans to 'revisit' HDB income ceiling

Default Plans to 'revisit' HDB income ceiling

May 3, 2011

Plans to 'revisit' HDB income ceiling

By Teo Wan Gek

COUPLES who are about to bust the $8,000 monthly income ceiling to qualify for new Housing Board (HDB) flats may be in for some relief, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong hinted yesterday.

With incomes rising amid a tight labour market, Mr Lee said he expected wages to go up this year. The Government would 'revisit' the cap, which was set at $8,000 in 1994.

'The income ceiling is something which we are studying. We will revisit it again after the effects of the current round of measures become clearer.'

The Government had introduced several rounds of cooling measures to dampen speculative demand for property, the latest in January.

PM Lee did not promise that the cap would go up, but his comments made it clear he was sympathetic to the plight of couples whose incomes went up just above the ceiling. These couples have complained they are barred from buying new HDB flats but cannot afford private property.

Mr Lee noted that some couples are marrying later, with some in their mid-30s who might be reaching the top of the income cap. Some were within the income ceiling while applying for a new build-to-order (BTO) flat, but a promotion or pay rise while waiting for the flat to be ready could tip them over.

'So when they apply for BTO flats and they don't get them, and a promotion or an increment may be on the way... what should normally be good news for celebration becomes a cause for anxiety because they may be promoted out of range (of the income cap),' he told reporters at a media conference.

The affordability of HDB flats has emerged as a top issue in this election. The opposition has also said that new HDB flat prices are rising faster than median incomes.

Young couples who are eligible to buy new flats have also complained of long waits for their homes under the BTO scheme, which lets couples book their flats before they are built.

On the long wait for flats, Mr Lee said that this year, the HDB is building a record number of 22,000 new flats under the BTO scheme.

On high prices, he acknowledged that many first-time buyers could not afford private property and did not have enough savings to pay the cash component for a HDB resale flat. Some relied on parents to help out. This was why the Government would look at the income ceiling again.

Last August, the Government raised the income cap for HDB's Design, Build and Sell Scheme - for the top tier of HDB flats - from $8,000 to $10,000.

'We considered whether to do it for the other HDB flats such as the BTO but we haven't done it yet because the property market was very hot and we didn't want to add more pressure on the BTO flat queue or, for that matter, on the resale flat queue,' he said, explaining that a change in the income ceiling would also affect the eligibility for other HDB loans.

http://www.straitstimes.com/PrimeNew...ry_663986.html

They are now visiting some policies which was set 17 years ago???? Finally!!!! What was the HDB price to annual household income in 1994? What is that ratio today? Is it because it is time to review that ratio because of inferior numbers or its purely because of election?

PM said the ceiling cap will be reviewed after the effects from the latest CM come in next month (conveniently after election). Will it ultimately be changed?

Lifting the income ceiling is to solve the EC problem of oversupply.

Give more EC, then poor pricing and sales, then lift the ceiling, it's all related.

Then if want to push up condo prices, stop EC supply and push out condo plots.

The future will be income ceiling raised for EC, then they are soak up, then stop EC supply.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    They are now visiting some policies which was set 17 years ago???? Finally!!!! What was the HDB price to annual household income in 1994? What is that ratio today? Is it because it is time to review that ratio because of inferior numbers or its purely because of election?

PM said the ceiling cap will be reviewed after the effects from the latest CM come in next month (conveniently after election). Will it ultimately be changed?
    mbt said to review after GE means if i am voted out.....no more review

Sure need to revise ceiling cap.
    Otherwise how to price hdb higher?
    If HDB is not priced higher, how to support higher price private

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    No worries lah... opp will slap the driver to remind them of the promises they've made so whoever takes over will still have to review it lor... Unless no opp win any seat then it is a totally different story!!!

The side effects of higher income ceiling I think will be higher prices. I think it needs to be sharpened that the higher income ceiling should apply perhaps to the bigger units like 5 room, DBSS and EC, such that this group cannot cannibalize on the provision for basic 3 or 4 rooms.

and probably the demand on rental will soften.

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    Sure need to revise ceiling cap.
    Otherwise how to price hdb higher?
    If HDB is not priced higher, how to support higher price private
    u got it....

ppl r digging their own grave

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    The side effects of higher income ceiling I think will be higher prices. I think it needs to be sharpened that the higher income ceiling should apply perhaps to the bigger units like 5 room, DBSS and EC, such that this group cannot cannibalize on the provision for basic 3 or 4 rooms.
    i think if supply meets demand, price will remain relatively stable. I think its more of if there are enough supply. Sometimes i ask y they so uncreative? If always got balloting super over subscribed , cant they change the system? If not the demand will just keep piling. Leading to more pple kanchong to join in the bid. I think this kind of system will be good for new towns like pungol n sengkang where there are more plots of land.

Open Order book in a area. See how much pple apply for it. Then customise building ratio for number of units. Its like customer telling supplier i need 2 tons of goods. Then supplier say i only got 1 ton...... next wk i open shop then u order again......

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    den the incoming hdb minister can carry on the review

Quote Originally Posted by romeo
    den the incoming hdb minister can carry on the review
    Wow... can see that there are many who wants the income ceiling to be reviewed and also those who want the minister out!!! Hmmm...

If this is implemented, it will soften the 99LH mass market condos sales by a lot. I would have bought a BTO or an EC if not for this out-dated ruling. In the end I spent so much $ to get a pte condo instead.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    If this is implemented, it will soften the 99LH mass market condos sales by a lot. I would have bought a BTO or an EC if not for this out-dated ruling. In the end I spent so much $ to get a pte condo instead.
    Agreed... You echoed the voices of many Singaporeans....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

As I already said, govt owns lots and lots of endless(literally) OCR land (sufficient to house >10m population in Singapore?). On these, HDB flats and OCR private condos will be built. Raising HDB income ceiling and building more HDB flats means OCR private condos will have less buyers and cannibalize OCR private condos demand->sales and ultimately prices.
    For investment, CCR is safest bet as govt has little land to supply to affect the "supply" equation (vs large "endless" "supply" in OCR). Living environment, your surroundings, your neighbours etc also better. Security generally also better since you will be living besides all those "who's who". Don't need to fight for car park lots with your neighbours (generally true in CCR prime & luxury condos, not those MM estate and full of MM units).
    For own stay, CCR is in central area and well-connected and convenient to most places you need to go in singapore and short distance, particularly good schools, so if you can afford, live in CCR also better.
    After election, more supply for HDB flats and OCR private condos will come to satisfy demands and meet expectations of the 90% of singaporeans! (10% for OCR condos, 80% for HDB flat owners and upgraders!).
    You can make a judgement on what the end results will be to prices. Optimistically at best: Price stagnant. Persimistically?

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

The remaining 10% living in CCR, well, the data I provided shows that completion supply in 2012 will be the lowest at 1 thousand+ since this whole decade. So very low supply vs increasing demand because of economy improving all over the world and with the richer getting much much richer and faster..... (plus the fact that the gap between CCR vs OCR private condos are at their lowest since don't know how many decades!).

You can make a judgement on what the end results will be to prices of HDBs, OCR condos, CCR condos.
    What will I do if I am in these position?
    1) If own HDB, quickly sell to upgrade to OCR/CCR condos since the gap are quite narrow now (what many are already or had done up to now).
    2) If own OCR condo, upgrade to CCR since gap narrowest in don't know how many decades!
    3) If own CCR condo, buy more CCR condos!

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    As I already said, govt owns lots and lots of endless(literally) OCR land (sufficient to house >10m population in Singapore?). On these, HDB flats and OCR private condos will be built. Raising HDB income ceiling and building more HDB flats means OCR private condos will have less buyers and cannibalize OCR private condos demand->sales and ultimately prices.
    For investment, CCR is safest bet as govt has little land to supply to affect the "supply" equation (vs large "endless" "supply" in OCR). Living environment, your surroundings, your neighbours etc also better. Security generally also better since you will be living besides all those "who's who". Don't need to fight for car park lots with your neighbours (generally true in CCR prime & luxury condos, not those MM estate and full of MM units).
    For own stay, CCR is in central area and well-connected and convenient to most places you need to go in singapore and short distance, particularly good schools, so if you can afford, live in CCR also better.
    After election, more supply for HDB flats and OCR private condos will come to satisfy demands and meet expectations of the 90% of singaporeans! (10% for OCR condos, 80% for HDB flat owners and upgraders!).
    You can make a judgement on what the end results will be to prices. Optimistically at best: Price stagnant. Persimistically?

The remaining 10% living in CCR, well, the data I provided shows that completion supply in 2012 will be the lowest at 1 thousand+ since this whole decade. So very low supply vs increasing demand because of economy improving all over the world and with the richer getting much much richer and faster..... (plus the fact that the gap between CCR vs OCR private condos are at their lowest since don't know how many decades!).

You can make a judgement on what the end results will be to prices of HDBs, OCR condos, CCR condos.
    What will I do if I am in these position?
    1) If own HDB, quickly sell to upgrade to OCR/CCR condos since the gap are quite narrow now (what many are already or had done up to now).
    2) If own OCR condo, upgrade to CCR since gap narrowest in don't know how many decades!
    3) If own CCR condo, buy more CCR condos!
    how about rcr?

u tok so much aso useless....many cant afford to buy non MM ccr

u shd do a speech for the UHWNI

It will be a calibrated increase and likely to be in small amounts, like increase to $9K or something. A huge increase will affect the whole property market. All the various housing types are interlinked. HDB supports OCR, OCR supports RCR and so on. Any impact to any group of housing will affect the other groups as well.

RCR should better OCR since CCR is moving upwards?
    Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    how about rcr?

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    It will be a calibrated increase and likely to be in small amounts, like increase to $9K or something. A huge increase will affect the whole property market. All the various housing types are interlinked. HDB supports OCR, OCR supports RCR and so on. Any impact to any group of housing will affect the other groups as well.
    can always compsensate....

stop PR from buying resale flats and increase income ceiling at the same time

but i can tell u....those 8-10k ppl r selfish ..... income ceiling increase just give more reasons for mbt to up the bto px in future.....haha.....now mbt can 'oblige' to increase without he himself initiating

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    It will be a calibrated increase and likely to be in small amounts, like increase to $9K or something. .
    If the government only "revisit" this ceiling every 17 years, I think the next notch up should be 10K or more and not some small increment.......And it is also wise not to revisit this ceiling too often.

Quote Originally Posted by avo7007
    If the government only "revisit" this ceiling every 17 years, I think the next notch up should be 10K or more and not some small increment.......And it is also wise not to revisit this ceiling too often.
    It is always tricky to review such figures!!! It might just tilt the balance delicately toward a slow down in pte ppty. But then again our pte ppty prices have indeed climbed too quickly over the last 2 years!!! Hardly can breath le... Good also coz some people are waiting to pounce once prices fall... good for everybody lah!!!

can always compsensate....

stop PR from buying resale flats and increase income ceiling at the same time

but i can tell u....those 8-10k ppl r selfish ..... income ceiling increase just give more reasons for mbt to up the bto px in future.....haha.....now mbt can 'oblige' to increase without he himself initiating
    But isn't MBT saying that he don't want the prices of BTO to climb too quickly? Hmm.... a great disguise man!!! So many theories!!!

But isn't MBT saying that he don't want the prices of BTO to climb too quickly? Hmm.... a great disguise man!!! So many theories!!!
    ya lor...no perfect policy bcoz every man needs r different

ya lor...no perfect policy bcoz every man needs r different
    Isn't that the most difficult part for MBT, to strike that intricate balance where as many people are happy with the housing market??? Actually what he's achieved is pretty decent. Just that I cannot stand his cocky statement, 'our HDB is actually affordable'... then he gave an example that don't add up! . No different from someone who said our healthcare is actually affordable!!!

Actually what he's achieved is pretty decent. Just that I cannot stand his cocky statement
    again argument will go back to high salary, high salary man left with no room to make mistake, perfection is expected

Quote Originally Posted by taggy
    again argument will go back to high salary, high salary man left with no room to make mistake, perfection is expected
    I would rather settle for a much lower salary and can still make mistakes here and there!!! Hahahaha!

I would rather settle for a much lower salary and can still make mistakes here and there!!! Hahahaha!
    yeah.....no job largi best.....sit at home tcss.....make mistakes at most change a new nick

brother, how low is low... ministers pay reduce to 1mio, there will still be some unhappy people around...but this time maybe lesser ..