Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Singaporeans do not want to pay Tin Peiling $15k a month...She should just get lost!

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    This election is all about "what u didn't do"

All pro PAP supports look at what they did well. After all the complaining is done, pple understand we need exceptional govt to steer in this stormy sea. The bigger picture is how to continue to have steady growth in this turbulent times that we live it. Anyone that says we don't care for growth, we just want a government that listens probably don't understands the threat we are constantly under. I seriously don't think Malaysia set up a special economy zone in JB so to help Singapore. How abt ports and airports to compete with Singapore? Even when they try to hold us randsom with water issues.

As my friend put it, no city state is able to survive in the long run in history. MM Lee also have suggested this b4 that one day we might go back to Malaysia. This is how far the old man see.
    Plenty of city states that last beyond 3 generations. Your friend is ignorant. Examples include Monaco, the Vatican, hong kong, Macau. In ancient times there was Athens, Sparta, thebes, Troy, etc.

Get id of TPL first, the grc can come later
    Quote Originally Posted by sh
    all this frustration should be directed toward the GRC system. Even if we do manage to get rid of TPL, there will always be a 2nd and 3rd TPL sneaking into the parliament via the back door....

Why don't petition to get rid of the GRC system instead... futile as it will be.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grimloq
    Plenty of city states that last beyond 3 generations. Your friend is ignorant. Examples include Monaco, the Vatican, hong kong, Macau. In ancient times there was Athens, Sparta, thebes, Troy, etc.
    This is precisely the fear mongering that PAP uses to justify their policies..... if we don't vote for them, we will not have stability (neighbours will invade).... the GRC system is to ensure representation of the minority (if not, there will be race riots), we need to ISA to keep the peace... blah, blah, blah...

This is exactly the same strategy the dictators in the Middle East uses, Mubarak says that Egypt will be taken over by muslim extremists if he goes... etc,etc,etc. See what happened to them....

Quote Originally Posted by Grimloq
    Your plenty refers to Singapore, Monaco(defence is dependent on france), Vatican(1k population), and Macau/HongKong(part of China)

Only City State with Sovereign rights is Singapore. In the long ran doesnt mean 3 generations. The rest that you quote are history right..... and they sounds like states in Greece.

Anyway back to topic... lets talk abt TPL ba
    City-state

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

This article needs additional citations for verification.
    Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (July 2010) A city-state or city state[1] is an independent entity whose territory consists of a city which is not administered as a part of another local government.
    Contents

[hide]

Contemporary city-states

Today there are only a handful of cities that exercise authority akin to a sub-regional state, and even fewer that are sovereign states in their own right.
    [edit] Sovereign city-states

[edit] Monaco

Main article: Monaco
    The Principality of Monaco is an independent city-state. Monaco-Ville (the ancient fortified city) and Monaco's well-known area Monte Carlo are districts of a continuous urban zone, not distinct cities, though they were three separate municipalities (communes) until 1917. The Principality of Monaco and the city of Monaco (each having specific powers) govern the same territory. On 28 June 1919, a treaty was signed providing for limited French protection over Monaco. The treaty, part of the Treaty of Versailles, established that Monegasque policy would be aligned with French political, military, and economic interests. Only in 1993 did Monaco become a member of the United Nations, with full voting rights. In 2002, a new treaty between France and Monaco clarifies that if there are no heirs to carry on the dynasty, the principality will remain an independent nation rather than revert to France (which were the terms of the previous arrangement). Monaco's military defence, however, is still the responsibility of France. Monaco did not receive its first foreign ambassador, the French ambassador, until 16 February 2006.
    [edit] Singapore

Main article: Singapore
    Singapore is an island city-state in Southeast Asia. About 5 million people live and work within 700 square kilometres (270 sq mi), making Singapore the 3rd-most-densely populated country in the world. The entire island functions as a single metropolitan area. The city centre in the south of the island is surrounded by satellite towns, parks, reservoirs and industrial estates, which are connected to the centre and each other by a dense network of roads, expressways and metro railway lines. Singapore has a highly centralised, unitary government with a unicameral legislature (the City Council and the Rural Board were abolished in the 1960s). While there are town councils and mayors in Singapore, these are essentially property managers in charge of the maintenance of public housing within their constituency boundaries. They do not represent local authorities with any legislative or executive autonomy from the national government.
    Prior to the 19th century, Singapore was a minor part of various regional empires, including Srivijaya, Majapahit, Malacca and Johor. From 1826 to the Battle of Singapore in 1942, Singapore was the capital of the Straits Settlements, a British colony that included the Settlements of Malacca and Penang along the Straits of Malacca. After the Second World War, Singapore was hived off as a separate colony while the other two Settlements joined the Malay States to form the Federation of Malaya. In 1963, Singapore merged with Malaya, Sabah and Sarawak to form Malaysia. However, because of a number of problems, Singapore was expelled from the federation in 1965, becoming an independent republic.
    Since 1965, Singapore rapidly industrialised and modernised, becoming one of the four "Asian Tigers". In addition to the substantial absolute and per-capita size of its economy, Singapore maintains a significant armed forces. It ranks highly in terms of defence spending and troop size.
    Despite its small land area, Singapore has a population, economy and armed forces that place it in a similar league to small, but full-fledged nations like New Zealand, Ireland, Israel and the Nordic countries (i.e., Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden), rather than semi-dependent microstates. Singapore also maintains a diplomatic corps and has memberships in international organizations such as the United Nations, the Commonwealth of Nations and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.
    Singapore places emphasis on self-sufficiency in basic needs, like water. The government also stockpiles other key resources, such as sand and oil. In this way, Singapore tries to avoid overdependence economically, politically or militarily on larger entities. Accordingly, Singapore may represent the most-complete contemporary example of a city-state, meeting the full definitions of both a city and a fully sovereign state.
    [edit] Vatican City

Main article: Vatican City
    Until 1870, the city of Rome had been controlled by the pope as part of his Papal States. When King Victor Emmanuel II seized the city in 1870, Pope Pius IX refused to recognize the newly formed Kingdom of Italy. Because he could not travel without effectively acknowledging the authority of the king, Pius IX and his successors each claimed to be a "Prisoner in the Vatican", unable to leave the 0.44 km˛ (0.17-square mile) papal enclave once they had ascended the papal thrones.
    The impasse was resolved in 1929 by the Lateran Treaties negotiated by the Italian leader Benito Mussolini between King Victor Emmanuel III and Pope Pius XI. Under this treaty, the Vatican was recognized as an independent state, with the Pope as its head. The Vatican City State has its own citizenship, diplomatic corps, flag, and postage stamps. With a population of less than 1,000, it is by far the smallest sovereign country in the world.

[edit] Autonomous cities in unitary states In nations without a federal administrative structure, i.e. as unitary states, cities may sometimes enjoy a greater degree of autonomy, e.g.:
    [edit] Hong Kong and Macau

See also: Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China
    Because of Hong Kong's and Macau's long histories as colonies of the British and Portuguese empires, respectively, and the unique "one-country, two-systems" policy, the two former city-states are given a high degree of autonomy even after their return into the People's Republic of China. While geographically they are cities[citation needed], having legal systems, police forces, monetary systems, customs policies, and immigration policies that are independent from the People's Republic of China, makes their status almost equivalent to independent nations.

more reason why we need diplomacy.... we need George Yeo....

Get rid of TPL and bring back GY

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    This election is all about "what u didn't do"

All pro PAP supports look at what they did well. After all the complaining is done, pple understand we need exceptional govt to steer in this stormy sea. The bigger picture is how to continue to have steady growth in this turbulent times that we live it. Anyone that says we don't care for growth, we just want a government that listens probably don't understands the threat we are constantly under. I seriously don't think Malaysia set up a special economy zone in JB so to help Singapore. How abt ports and airports to compete with Singapore? Even when they try to hold us randsom with water issues.

As my friend put it, no city state is able to survive in the long run in history. MM Lee also have suggested this b4 that one day we might go back to Malaysia. This is how far the old man see.
    This is scary stuff for property owners is this forum if no city state is able to survive in the long run. 3 generations is about 100 to 150 years, right?

How long is long, 99 LH? If the statement is true then there should not be too much premium of FH properties compared to LH since eventually they might all be priced around the JB benchmark.

more reason why we need diplomacy.... we need George Yeo....

Get rid of TPL and bring back GY
    I think we should give tpl a chance, Singapore needs her, with her guidance in next 5yrs, many foreign talent would move out automatically.ppy price will crash to a affordable level. More job for Singaporean.

You think MM Lee really daft to say repent and regret ??

I believe he did it on purpose.

PM Lee already have his own man for Foreign Minister position but dont know how to get rid of George Yeo so use elections.

George Yeo is SM Goh's man that why SM Goh ask voters to vote out Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim instead.

Tin Pei Ling is an honest mistake, once in 50 years freak event.

Just monitor her for rest of the 5 years.

Whether she

• Turn up for Parliament sessions
    • Turn up but sleep in Parliament sessions
    • Whether she ask any questions in Parliament for 5 years
    • What was the questions she ask and whether it adds value to the debate and Singapore or just parroting PAP line.
    • Whether she rubberstamp any PAP Bills.
    • What is the content of her Parliament speeches.
    • Watch out for gaffes from her like :
    "How much do you want? Do you want 3 meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" -

Chicken expensive ? Buy Fish instead.

Once in every 50 years freak flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by CCR
    Sm and mm will retire by next GE, no more old guards to helm the GRC, mah bow tan, yacob Ibrahim, lim swee say, Raymond lim, lui tuck yew? I think more seats will fall, the problem with pap is that they cannot reach out to voters who are no pro pap, only those pro pap people goes to their event... Others just tune out.... Rally no one goes, Internet all slam pap, main stream media must be more objectives, so that is a big dilemma....
    It's not that they cannot reach out, its more like they don't want to reach out... I heard someone explained and I paraphase as follow. Since 1984, PAP has set a system to listen to feedback from the people in Singapore and it subsequently became REACH today but has there been any policy that's been reversed as a result of feedback? Jog my memory but I can't think of any. I can quote several ones that were rejected like don't raise taxi hikes some years back, don't build IR, don't raise GST, etc.

The only use I can think of REACH is to cushion harsh policy implementations, never to remove harsh policies. 'I'll go ahead to build the IR coz I strongly believe there's more positive than negative but to show that I heard you, I'll impose $100 entry fee to all Singaporeans'.

While the idea behind the feedback system is terrific, PAP simply failed to utilize it well. Another failed utility is the new media in this recent GE. PAP allowed campaigning through new media which was a very good move but again they failed to utilize it to their advantage. Opposition parties were using it really well to reach the young voters, not PAP. PM tried but it was a weak attempt. Just a miserable 2 hours or something to reply comments! PAP don't have strong follow through. Another evidence to show that they will try new stuff but still prefer the old way of doing things.
    Last edited by ysyap; 10-05-11 at 04:29.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Hahaha..... This is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by joelx
    I think we should give tpl a chance, Singapore needs her, with her guidance in next 5yrs, many foreign talent would move out automatically.ppy price will crash to a affordable level. More job for Singaporean.

Quote Originally Posted by wenqing
    You think MM Lee really daft to say repent and regret ??

I believe he did it on purpose.

PM Lee already have his own man for Foreign Minister position but dont know how to get rid of George Yeo so use elections.

George Yeo is SM Goh's man that why SM Goh ask voters to vote out Wong Kan Seng, Mah Bow Tan and Raymond Lim instead.

Tin Pei Ling is an honest mistake, once in 50 years freak event.

Just monitor her for rest of the 5 years.

Whether she

• Turn up for Parliament sessions
    • Turn up but sleep in Parliament sessions
    • Whether she ask any questions in Parliament for 5 years
    • What was the questions she ask and whether it adds value to the debate and Singapore or just parroting PAP line.
    • Whether she rubberstamp any PAP Bills.
    • What is the content of her Parliament speeches.
    • Watch out for gaffes from her like :
    "How much do you want? Do you want 3 meals in a hawker centre, food court or restaurant?" -

Chicken expensive ? Buy Fish instead.

Once in every 50 years freak flooding.
    How do you know TPL is not put there "on purpose"? In the same way that George Yeo is offered as a sacrificial lamb.

We should retain GY and remove TPL!

What is wrong with ruling party? They cant even see what is right for the country?

Another own goal by SM to say that TPL probably affected the low winning margin... So many own goals they probably thought that is the enemies' goal post... hahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Another own goal by SM to say that TPL probably affected the low winning margin... So many own goals they probably thought that is the enemies' goal post... hahaha!!!

日 仿 夜 仿

家 贼 难 仿

SM might even suspect TPL is planted by Opps... but its more likely to be from withn PAP ... hehehe

Shouldnt this thread be in coffeeshop instead?

This is precisely the fear mongering that PAP uses to justify their policies..... if we don't vote for them, we will not have stability (neighbours will invade).... the GRC system is to ensure representation of the minority (if not, there will be race riots), we need to ISA to keep the peace... blah, blah, blah...

This is exactly the same strategy the dictators in the Middle East uses, Mubarak says that Egypt will be taken over by muslim extremists if he goes... etc,etc,etc. See what happened to them....
    i think this is not fear mongering but true. pap as ruling party has govern the country well and internationally recognise. many ppl want opp in for alternate voice but majority still want pap to be in power. i cannot imagine one day opp take over the ruling party

maybe sm goh already knew the result for his ward will drop but he want to save face so plant a bimbo there to take arrow. old cunning fox vs stupid bimbo

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    i think this is not fear mongering but true. pap as ruling party has govern the country well and internationally recognise. many ppl want opp in for alternate voice but majority still want pap to be in power. i cannot imagine one day opp take over the ruling party
    It shouldn't happen soon but really depending on progress of WP in Aljunied over next 5 years...

decrease ur stake in Sg

It shouldn't happen soon but really depending on progress of WP in Aljunied over next 5 years...
    reduce ur stake too

Quote Originally Posted by sing
    Since so many people dislike TPL so much and if she is willing to step down on her own and give her seat to GY. At least this will show that she is "Noble" rather than "No Face" if really being pulled down.
    TPL cannot giver her seat to anyone. It's just not an option. Period.
    Why do people have this idea that nominated, then elected members of parliament are sitting on some transferable privilege like a country club membership?

Learn to accept it and enjoy the stomping for 4-5 years.

Agree - not an option.

I rather she remains - make Parliament more watchable for the young and bring in more awareness for the next Elections. Her presence is not without positives.

Quote Originally Posted by EBD
    TPL cannot giver her seat to anyone. It's just not an option. Period.
    Why do people have this idea that nominated, then elected members of parliament are sitting on some transferable privilege like a country club membership?

Learn to accept it and enjoy the stomping for 4-5 years.

maybe sm goh already knew the result for his ward will drop but he want to save face so plant a bimbo there to take arrow. old cunning fox vs stupid bimbo
    Can't understand why he said it after election. Doesn't help in any way. I think it's a subtle message to the PM: "Look, don't blame me for the poor result. It's your fault for sending her to MPGRC".

Quote Originally Posted by fclim
    Can't understand why he said it after election. Doesn't help in any way. I think it's a subtle message to the PM: "Look, don't blame me for the poor result. It's your fault for sending her to MPGRC".
    its very clear now tat there r 2 camps within PAP

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    decrease ur stake in Sg
    accumulate yr wealth the next 5 yrs and be ready for migration when it happen

Govern the country well - i would say, not.

Made a lot of money for (and from) the country, yes.

They are just a bunch of wannabe investment bankers for whom bottomline and profits matter most (ie: GDP). They only run the country as well as it allows them to make profits, ie: educated citizens to be utilised to make more money from abroad and milked.

From a cynical point of view, the health care system here caters only to a certain economically highly productive group and the rest can get by with lesser standards of healthcare. It makes sense because if this highly economic productive group falls sick, there will be fewer people to assist them in making more money for the country.

This whole sick place is run like a corporate entity. Too bad about collateral damage as long as net net, the whole company becomes richer and richer.

As GCT says: Net Happiness. http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2010/09/...ic-video-.html

sekali next GE ah goh join Opp!!!!

And one (main/original) camp doesn't mind if WP takes some seats.
    I wonder who else on the line...maybe some of the retiring MPs pre-elections? Interesting. Georgie backed the wrong horse...

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    And one (main/original) camp doesn't mind if WP takes some seats.
    I wonder who else on the line...maybe some of the retiring MPs pre-elections? Interesting. Georgie backed the wrong horse...
    Or is it the wrong horse backed George?

Yup - possible. Either way ...'if you're not for me, you're against me' rule operates...so all have to fall in-line or face the firing line...

Or is it the wrong horse backed George?