Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ministers' pension

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    1st world salary already
    not 1st world salary.

Out of the world salary.

You still don't understand the point of contention nobody is interested in the private wealth of ministers, just the allowances they get from public funds that has to be used in an accountable way
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Look I also don't give a damn about ministers' salaries.
    However, if opposition want to whip up the crowd, to score points and perhaps win a few more votes, then revealing their own wealth first would be a moral advantage.

The advantage that opposition has is that most of their wealth is from private enterprise.
    Now how about ministers and PAP MPs? Do their wealth come mostly from ministerial pay and director fees of GLCs?

Also opposition reveal own CPF statements, so that the minister who smiled when he saw CPF statement also will reveal what is the amount that makes him smile.

It would be interesting to see if ministers, MPs deposit more into CPF, or just legal bare minimum. If bare minimum, then opposition can attack PAP that PAP themselves dont believe in CPF......

Asked the health minister's how he paid S$8 only, so that the poor can also pay S$8 for operation. If he reveal that he pay like $5000 in premiums annually, the opposition also can attack how is healthcare affordable....

Always compare and contrast ad nauseum.
    Now where is the opposition demagogue when you need one. NS maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    Look I also don't give a damn about ministers' salaries.
    However, if opposition want to whip up the crowd, to score points and perhaps win a few more votes, then revealing their own wealth first would be a moral advantage.
    I think you are totally missing the point.

I didn't say I don't give a damn about the ministers salaries. I don't care about any politicians private wealth accrued from business, family or other means.

It is the ministers salary that comes out of the taxpayers pocket that is the concern.

I agree , the opposition should reveal how much money and wealth they have obtained from the TAXPAYER. That would be moral and even no?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    smart move...

resign after election

they kept saying give to the younger generations to lead

Quit cabinet but continue to serve the grc?

I hope LKY dun quit GIC.

Time has come to step down.

Leave while there is no major damage. You dont wanna be around the next elections when PAP falls to 50% or even below of votes...

At least i fondly remember MM as the founding father and SM as the one to introduce alternative voices and acceptance in government.

Or you can remember MM for the failed SuZhou projects and SM for the government whos who earning peanuts salary

But how will the future pan out under LHL? Great state of unknown.

Watch out for stock market ripples come Monday...
    Last edited by mcmlxxvi; 14-05-11 at 20:47.

SM and MM are merely doing their bit to walk their talk after so many own goals... to earn back some respect for PAP... wise move...

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Quit cabinet but continue to serve the grc?
    Why not? There are many non ministers serving in GRC as well...

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Time has come to step down.

Leave while there is no major damage. You dont wanna be around the next elections when PAP falls to 50% or even below of votes...

At least i fondly remember MM as the founding father and SM as the one to introduce alternative voices and acceptance in government.

Or you can remember MM for the failed SuZhou projects and SM for the government whos who earning peanuts salary

But how will the future pan out under LHL? Great state of unknown.

They can still be around as MPs in next GE, just not ministers drawing salary for others to shoot... just $15k a month...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Why not? There are many non ministers serving in GRC as well...
    GRC = Government-official Retirement Club
    GRC = Great Recreation Committee

The cab is too small for so many drivers, you need a cockpit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi

Market has long been waiting for an excuse to correct.
    I'll be exiting... Doesn't look good.

So what's the next unexpected news to hit the papers in the subsequent days??? One by one, people quit, etc... Hmmm... Singapore govt movement has never been this interesting and succulent!!!

Both of them quite old already. And by quitting, they allow PM to consolidate power and be the only one people look at for directions and orders. I feel this is a good thing. If monday market goes down, those sellers also boliao and kiasi..

They can quit for all I care, I am more interested in how much more they are going to dig from public funds to pay for their pensions. I can probably make an exception for lky whom I still respect despite his many own , but not for lao goh

Just when you think election is over, more news are surfacing... WP Sylvia Lim just quitted her full time job as a polytechnic lecturer of 12 years to concentrate on serving the people. Anyway, I think it is a right decision coz she's taking over from where PAP lost so much vote last week. She will work hard to relocate the dormitory, if its even possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    They can quit for all I care, I am more interested in how much more they are going to dig from public funds to pay for their pensions. I can probably make an exception for lky whom I still respect despite his many own , but not for lao goh
    Don't worry too much, there can't be more than 25 years between both of them. What I cannot stand is if TPL serve 2 terms as MP and retire at 37, she gets pension that can last potentially for 40 years!!! That is our money... Btw, she's already half way there after winning her first 5 years in parliament.

They should set am she and not the number of terms served. The ideal age for an mp to start being eligible for pension is 55, that is if they have served at least two terms. The ministers don't seem to be doing what they preach to the people
    Don't worry too much, there can't be more than 25 years between both of them. What I cannot stand is if TPL serve 2 terms as MP and retire at 37, she gets pension that can last potentially for 40 years!!! That is our money... Btw, she's already half way there after winning her first 5 years in parliament.

Marine Parade residents might feel aggrieved at SM quitting. Some had voted to keep him in. If they knew he wasn't going to stay, they might have preferred to vote Opp to get in NS rather than TPL.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Marine Parade residents might feel aggrieved at SM quitting. Some had voted to keep him in. If they knew he wasn't going to stay, they might have preferred to vote Opp to get in NS rather than TPL.
    SM still staying to serve Marine Parade residents... just not in the capacity of a SM. Anyway, whether he's SM or just an MP, he still commands great respect from Singaporeans..

We will see quite a bit of saving with MM and SM leaving the cabinet. At least 6-7 million per year. Pension for them is about one-tenth of the minister salary. MM will continue to be MP and Chairman of GIC, etc.

What I cannot stand is if TPL serve 2 terms as MP and retire at 37, she gets pension that can last potentially for 40 years!!!
    I thought MP elected after 1995 no longer has pension ?

They can quit for all I care, I am more interested in how much more they are going to dig from public funds to pay for their pensions.
    Hmmmmm I wonder what these 2 old men did to you to make you hate them so much.... They may be arrogant, but they do deserve respect.

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Hmmmmm I wonder what these 2 old men did to you to make you hate them so much.... They may be arrogant, but they do deserve respect.
    Like your post

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

More than enough to raise hardship allowance by more than $100 pm rather than argue over $30? Using the argument of "do you want 3 meals in hawker centre, food court or restaurant?", similar analogy can also be asked of them: do you need GCB to live or just small size bungalow to need $3m pa salary (out of the world salary) + pension or $1m salary (already more than pay of US president) without pension?
    Ask PAP leaders: Is CPF really good? If no good why force down the throat of everybody & remove pension scheme? If CPF so good then why they the leaders don't lead by example by all changing to CPF rather than hanging to their pension scheme? This give people impression that they are preaching one thing to the people while they themselves do another.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    We will see quite a bit of saving with MM and SM leaving the cabinet. At least 6-7 million per year. Pension for them is about one-tenth of the minister salary. MM will continue to be MP and Chairman of GIC, etc.

Bey sian meh...keep toking abt their pay...now pension...lol

Bey song den become opposition volunteer la....next GE takeover the govt n boot pap out lor....actions speaks louder den words mah rite?

Here is a sitiuation where its the old guards who r quitting like GY, MM and SM. They are all under the pension scheme. Its natural that they therefore qualify for it. This applies to civil servants too. Most of the older ones are in the scheme too. What remains unclear is whether the new blood also enjoy this scheme now that amk mentioned its been taken out in 1995... or u guys already know it still applies in ministers but no longer in civil servants???

They can return back or donate to the unfortunate. It will be a very good gesture.