Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ministers' pension

I thought civil servants then were given a choice to continue with pension or to opt for non-pension scheme. Those who opt out then made a bad choice even though they were given a better deal then by making the switch. Now, a lot of them must be really upset with the rising medical cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Here is a sitiuation where its the old guards who r quitting like GY, MM and SM. They are all under the pension scheme. Its natural that they therefore qualify for it. This applies to civil servants too. Most of the older ones are in the scheme too. What remains unclear is whether the new blood also enjoy this scheme now that amk mentioned its been taken out in 1995... or u guys already know it still applies in ministers but no longer in civil servants???

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    They can quit for all I care, I am more interested in how much more they are going to dig from public funds to pay for their pensions. I can probably make an exception for lky whom I still respect despite his many own , but not for lao goh

so shrewd .... to quit now

think about it ...

first the people complain abaout their pay ...

then now we are talking about the pension scheme ...

in time to come it will be a public debate ... and may end up having the parliament debate and decide to change the pension scheme

quitting now .. means they will enjoy the pension nder the old scheme ...any changes will only affect those still serving ..

hahaha how smart

SM still staying to serve Marine Parade residents... just not in the capacity of a SM. Anyway, whether he's SM or just an MP, he still commands great respect from Singaporeans..

between the 2
    i respect GCT more ... he was more open to 'listening' ...

the older one has hearing problem

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Pensions have been REMOVED for all civil servants EXCEPT the Elite Administrative Services (i.e. superscale civil servants) and Ministers. Pensions have been discontinued for MPs since 1995. If CPF so good that they are introduced for all lower-rank civil servants, why are the higher-rank still hanging on to pension instead of all being switched to CPF scheme?
    The clarification they made are still quite vague and didn't explain a few things:
    1) What are the criteria to determine the max?
    2) What are the "salary" they refer to for non-pensionable component? Do these include the performance bonuses, GDP-linked bonuses, etc?
    3) More details please. The more they try to clarify with such long statements but yet lack essential details, the more people will sense that they are still not telling all. Is there anything to hide? They say all on public record but yet you ask anybody on the street and none can tell you that they know how their pension are exactly calculated.
    4) Why just serve 8 years and they get pension? They peg their pay to private sector, yet want to have pension that private sector don't have? Have about pegging accountability to private sector as well? Didn't do their job well and they should lose their job?
    5) Why after 50 years old and they get pension? Didn't they say CPF withdrawal must be extended again and again from 55 years old to 60 to 62 years old? Why their eligibility age for pension didn't get extended just like CPF?
    6) If somebody is working, cannot withdraw CPF at 55 years old. Why should they be working and yet draw pension at the same time? Just because they are Ministers and Elite AS? Their policies don't seem to treat all Singaporeans equally?

Here is a sitiuation where its the old guards who r quitting like GY, MM and SM. They are all under the pension scheme. Its natural that they therefore qualify for it. This applies to civil servants too. Most of the older ones are in the scheme too. What remains unclear is whether the new blood also enjoy this scheme now that amk mentioned its been taken out in 1995... or u guys already know it still applies in ministers but no longer in civil servants???

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Pensions have been REMOVED for all civil servants EXCEPT the Elite Administrative Services (i.e. superscale civil servants) and Ministers. Pensions have been discontinued for MPs since 1995. If CPF so good that they are introduced for all lower-rank civil servants, why are the higher-rank still hanging on to pension instead of all being switched to CPF scheme?
    The clarification they made are still quite vague and didn't explain a few things:
    2) What are the "salary" they refer to for non-pensionable component? Do these include the performance bonuses, GDP-linked bonuses, etc?
    3) More details please. The more they try to clarify with such long statements but yet lack essential details, the more people will sense that they are still not telling all. Is there anything to hide? They say all on public record but yet you ask anybody on the street and none can tell you that they know how their pension are exactly calculated.
    4) Why just serve 8 years and they get pension? They peg their pay to private sector, yet want to have pension that private sector don't have? Have about pegging accountability to private sector as well? Didn't do their job well and they should lose their job?
    5) Why after 50 years old and they get pension? Didn't they say CPF withdrawal must be extended again and again from 55 years old to 60 to 62 years old? Why their eligibility age for pension didn't get extended just like CPF?
    6) If somebody is working, cannot withdraw CPF at 55 years old. Why should they be working and yet draw pension at the same time? Just because they are Ministers and Elite AS? Their policies don't seem to treat all Singaporeans equally?

slowly but surely singaporeans are beginning to question ... it may be a little late ...

thats the problem when the people placed their entire life and trust on ONE person ...

the HE says go west ... you go ... when HE says go east ...you go east..

who has the biggest power and authority and wealth in N Korea ?
    arent our country similar to N korea in many ways ?

is ours a democracy? or a modern faux communism ?

mmhhmmm a very modern form of communism

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    between the 2

Founder of sg leh....luckily separated from msia.....if not sg will be worse den jb

At his age, u expect him to listen?

He is a man tat will do things if he tink he is right....even the whole world oppose him

So far he hf been right.....lets see aljunied residents will repent anot

U better become a volunteer or opp candidate n boot pap out la....u got 5yrs to prepare for next ge

slowly but surely singaporeans are beginning to question ... it may be a little late ...

thats the problem when the people placed their entire life and trust on ONE person ...

the HE says go west ... you go ... when HE says go east ...you go east..

who has the biggest power and authority and wealth in N Korea ?
    arent our country similar to N korea in many ways ?

is ours a democracy? or a modern faux communism ?

mmhhmmm a very modern form of communism
    Communism? Totally opposite la....

More like those qing dynasty...haha

Their policies don't seem to treat all Singaporeans equally?
    Every Singaporean is unique based on their merits and strength... don't complain can liaoz... just be contented with our property discussions...
    Last edited by ysyap; 15-05-11 at 15:45.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Why need to do so? Just need to raise awareness of all these to people everywhere in Singapore can already. Internet is now more powerful than rallying on the street! You talk nonsense / bullshit, people will nabbed you! And the record will be there for the next 10 years for people to search back, read, and remind them (not just goodies <1 year before and hoping that people forget the rest)!

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    U better become a volunteer or opp candidate n boot pap out la....u got 5yrs to prepare for next ge

Communism? Totally opposite la....

More like those qing dynasty...haha
    As Pu Yi abdicated his throne, our dear MM abdicates his too.... the end of an era! But the reasons behind the end of the qing dynasty is so so different from the end of this Singapore based era. Our MM did so so much for Singapore but not the other one...

The Prime Minister's Office has dispelled rumours of seven-figured pension payouts paid to retired ministers annually.
    In a letter to the mainstream media on Friday, the PMO said that retired ministers who serve 18 years or more receive a maximum annual pension payout of about one-tenth of their annual salary.
    According to the Public Service Division figures for 2009, an entry-grade minister received an annual salary of $1.57 million while a Prime Minister's salary was $3.04 million.
    On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean told The Straits Times the PMO saw the need to clarify the situation because of "misinformation" that has been circulating on the Internet after the General Election.
    Rumours being spread online said Foreign Minister George Yeo would continue to receive a seven-digit pension sum every year, even after stepping down as a Minister.
    DPM Teo said, "I'm not surprised that it (the misinformation) causes some consternation. So it's best to just state what the actual position is and the actual position is quite different from the misinformation that has been going around."
    To qualify for a pension, ministers have to serve at least eight years as a political office-holder and be at least 50 when they step down.
    Their pension is determined based on the pensionable component of the monthly salary, which has been frozen since 1994, the PMO said in the letter signed by Tan Kee Yong, secretary to the Prime Minister.
    A minister qualifies for the maximum pension of two-thirds of this pensionable component of his monthly salary after having served as an office-holder for 18 years. The pension is less if he has served for a shorter period.
    The letter said Members of Parliament elected after January 1995 are not eligible for MP pensions, but ministers appointed after 1995 are eligible for ministerial pensions.
    Civil servants from the elite Administrative Service and intelligence service officers also receive pensions after a certain number of years in service.
    Explained DPM Teo, "There's a very specific reason for a small group of officers to still be on pensions because there is a premium in this case for long-term service in order to provide consistency of policy and implementation.
    "But in any case, the value of the pension is fully taken into account as part of a minister's total pay package when we make comparisons with the private sector benchmarks."
    The PMO also revealed that the Parliamentary Pensions Act, amended in 1982, for an eligible office-holder to receive a pension at 55 while he holds office is being reviewed.
    DPM Teo said, "We are looking at that again because employment and re-employment terms have been changing over the years."
    "The retirement and re-employment situation has been under review for quite some time and there have been some changes in the practice, so we want to make sure that this is appropriate still."

I don't hate them and I think hate is too strong a word. Maybe the word annoyed is more appropriate. But seriously, I can say they are not as respected now by many as before. The lky and gct I once knew no longer exist
    Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Hmmmmm I wonder what these 2 old men did to you to make you hate them so much.... They may be arrogant, but they do deserve respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I don't hate them and I think hate is too strong a word. Maybe the word annoyed is more appropriate. But seriously, I can say they are not as respected now by many as before. The lky and gct I once knew no longer exist
    Suppose u meant the humble side of both of them no longer exit. In ST today, they was a picture of LKY sweeping the streets and GCT mingling with soldiers in the field...

The Prime Minister's Office has dispelled rumours of seven-figured pension payouts paid to retired ministers annually.
    In a letter to the mainstream media on Friday, the PMO said that retired ministers who serve 18 years or more receive a maximum annual pension payout of about one-tenth of their annual salary.
    According to the Public Service Division figures for 2009, an entry-grade minister received an annual salary of $1.57 million while a Prime Minister's salary was $3.04 million.
    On Friday, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean told The Straits Times the PMO saw the need to clarify the situation because of "misinformation" that has been circulating on the Internet after the General Election.
    Rumours being spread online said Foreign Minister George Yeo would continue to receive a seven-digit pension sum every year, even after stepping down as a Minister.
    DPM Teo said, "I'm not surprised that it (the misinformation) causes some consternation. So it's best to just state what the actual position is and the actual position is quite different from the misinformation that has been going around."
    To qualify for a pension, ministers have to serve at least eight years as a political office-holder and be at least 50 when they step down.
    Their pension is determined based on the pensionable component of the monthly salary, which has been frozen since 1994, the PMO said in the letter signed by Tan Kee Yong, secretary to the Prime Minister.
    A minister qualifies for the maximum pension of two-thirds of this pensionable component of his monthly salary after having served as an office-holder for 18 years. The pension is less if he has served for a shorter period.
    The letter said Members of Parliament elected after January 1995 are not eligible for MP pensions, but ministers appointed after 1995 are eligible for ministerial pensions.
    Civil servants from the elite Administrative Service and intelligence service officers also receive pensions after a certain number of years in service.
    Explained DPM Teo, "There's a very specific reason for a small group of officers to still be on pensions because there is a premium in this case for long-term service in order to provide consistency of policy and implementation.
    "But in any case, the value of the pension is fully taken into account as part of a minister's total pay package when we make comparisons with the private sector benchmarks."
    The PMO also revealed that the Parliamentary Pensions Act, amended in 1982, for an eligible office-holder to receive a pension at 55 while he holds office is being reviewed.
    DPM Teo said, "We are looking at that again because employment and re-employment terms have been changing over the years."
    "The retirement and re-employment situation has been under review for quite some time and there have been some changes in the practice, so we want to make sure that this is appropriate still."

its confirmed

they are reading our forum

i only posted this pension thing tis week ... and Fri got reply ?

nice

we should post more here ... and get things right ...

so far all my posts ...
    about PAP not being good parents, pension , .. have been answered ...

i will post more ...

my next important post will be about our education systems ... and our tax money ... and about schools in prime districts ....

They got the info from other websites....this forum too exclusive...nid to register

Founder of sg leh....luckily separated from msia.....if not sg will be worse den jb

At his age, u expect him to listen?

He is a man tat will do things if he tink he is right....even the whole world oppose him

So far he hf been right.....lets see aljunied residents will repent anot
    i dont deny he has done good for singapore ...

i just dont like some of the policies and the way the govt do things ..
    very unfair to the people ...

and the laws .. very discriminative ..
    a similar crime committed by a male and a female have 2 very different punishments...

as a results the girls of today ..commit worse crimes

take for example...school bullies ... those committed by girls included torturing other girls ...
    and yet in that group of torturers, boys and girls ...with the boys younger than the girls .. the identities of the girls were withheld while the boys were exposed ...

WHY ?

and whatever happened to CJ Yong P H ?
    has he retired and fled the country ?
    i hear he is residing in shanghai ...

They got the info from other websites....this forum too exclusive...nid to register
    well it means that people from other sites are reading ours and posting on theirs ..

which is also good

well it means that people from other sites are reading ours and posting on theirs ..

which is also good
    I tink the pension thingy was circulated b4 u post it....

Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Suppose u meant the humble side of both of them no longer exit. In ST today, they was a picture of LKY sweeping the streets and GCT mingling with soldiers in the field...

sweep one time and people remember for life ?

come on .....

have people forgotten how he bought Scott 28 at a discount, when exposed ...he claimed he didnt know .. and that he bought becos it had lift landing on each floor and was good for old folks ...

and they never lived in it ...

why didnt the paper re post that news..??? and let people read about the other 'dirty' things ?

why no article ever written about how much money spore spent and wasted in Su Zhou project ?

i only ask that all be clean .. and dont be Class 95...only want to hear the good things

in the case the paper only want to report the goods abt them ..
    and the bads of the Opps

thats unfair ...

I tink the pension thingy was circulated b4 u post it....
    well maybe i dunno

but i am glad ... someone is reading

i can only say .. that i strongly beleive there are more ugly things about the govt ...just that its not exposed yet ...

well maybe i dunno

but i am glad ... someone is reading

i can only say .. that i strongly beleive there are more ugly things about the govt ...just that its not exposed yet ...
    Cfm alot

Last time many death accidents in army....mostly covered up

in the case the paper only want to report the goods abt them ..
    and the bads of the Opps

thats unfair ...
    What do you expect? What is fair??? Nothing! Having said that, I feel that GE 2011 is by far the fairest, if that is the point of contention. Going forward, hopefully the next GE will be fairer than the last!!! PAP have always heard the voices of the people ... now they appear to be acting on it le... it can only be better from now!!!

Technology, the solution. New media is the one key factor in the outcome.

After talking so much about SM Goh and MM Lee, what about SM Prof Jayakumar? Is he still SM or has he quitted???

After talking so much about SM Goh and MM Lee, what about SM Prof Jayakumar? Is he still SM or has he quitted???
    In recent 18th ASEAN summit early this month, he represent PM ...still, but I thought he also retire from politics..., din stand in GE right?

http://app.mfa.gov.sg/2006/lowRes/pr...p?post_id=6974

So now its really PM's call le... very stressful leh.. if next GE, PAP lose more seats, then cannot blame SM, MM own goal le... All is PM le...

So now its really PM's call le... very stressful leh.. if next GE, PAP lose more seats, then cannot blame SM, MM own goal le... All is PM le...
    Gd wat...mm lee vy old liao....

Both mm and gct r vy disconnected to the people oredi

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Hmmmmm I wonder what these 2 old men did to you to make you hate them so much.... They may be arrogant, but they do deserve respect.
    sigh.....is all about $$$$$

between the 2

The older one believe wat he believe and don listen to nonsense. this is one of his quality for success. is hard to please all so is better to do things tat u think right then to listen n try to please all. IT WONT WORK!!