Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Landed troublesome?

you missed the point ...it's not all about the kids...

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    but if let say ur kid PSLE grades r bad and still get into gd sec sch....wun he be left behind and feel even more stressful later on? goto compete wif kids wif better grades?

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    you missed the point ...it's not all about the kids...
    wat did i missed?

but if let say ur kid PSLE grades r bad and still get into gd sec sch....wun he be left behind and feel even more stressful later on? goto compete wif kids wif better grades?
    I've seen kids who struggled like crazy coz peers and classmates all doing very well in good school. I've also seen kids taking it easy and doing very well in 'not so good' schools and still get scholarships...
    I chose an average school and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion..

Parent's Networking...

wat did i missed?

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    I've seen kids who struggled like crazy coz peers and classmates all doing very well in good school. I've also seen kids taking it easy and doing very well in 'not so good' schools and still get scholarships...
    I chose an average JC and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion..
    i went to above average JC for 1st 3mths and cannot tahan the peers there n decide to goto poly instead....nvr regret it.....can keep long hairs, jeans to sch....etc

tat stupid JC, students damn kiasu, kiabo....dun share homework at all! all damn selfish and self centered.....my sec sch days, all fren fren share share our homework n willing to teach/help one another

Parent's Networking...
    oh ya, especially true for biz owners.....goto join countryclubs too

i went to above average JC for 1st 3mths and cannot tahan the peers there n decide to goto poly instead....nvr regret it.....can keep long hairs, jeans to sch....etc

tat stupid JC, students damn kiasu, kiabo....dun share homework at all! all damn selfish and self centered.....my sec sch days, all fren fren share share our homework n willing to teach/help one another
    How to kiabo??? not yet lah...

Anyway agree that friends in average schools more helpful to share share... so don't need to do h/w, just go school earlier to share share ... hahaha!!!

I agree...
    Should customise for the child...not every kid is academically bright and driven.

I chose an average school and got into the 'best' class and enjoy life... personally don't prefer to go into a super competitive school and fight all year round to maintain the grades... Hmm... always very subjective opinion..

I agree...
    Should customise for the child...not every kid is academically bright and driven.
    Parents must therefore play an active role in attending Parents teachers meeting (PTM) and understand the profile of their kids so as to make the most informed decision when it comes to sec or JC school selection... also a difficult decision but its always unavoidable... sigh!!!

Parents must therefore play an active role in attending Parents teachers meeting (PTM) and understand the profile of their kids so as to make the most informed decision when it comes to sec or JC school selection... also a difficult decision but its always unavoidable... sigh!!!
    just choose a decent pri sch for ur kid will do la....later on let them decide wat they want

they hf to be independent mah.....angmor oredi laughing at us....say we live in a capsule

Some kids are late developers (esp boys). Even if they don't perform well at PSLE, they can buck up at Sec Sch and do really well. You need to give yr kid the benefit of the doubt and more time to develop. SG sch system doesn't allow them time to develop and many kids at PSLE are still immature. Therefore being relegated to a "lousier" sch might not allow them to develop to their potential. There will be a lot of peer pressure at Sec Sch. Being in a class with better students gives them some motivation to do better. As long as the rest of the sch is not so greatly above the level of yr child that he gets left behind/demotivated. You have to gauge the ability of yr child on a case by case basis. If you think that your child is very much below the general standard of the affiliated sch, you still have the option to transfer them to a neighbourhood sch. But if he is only a little bit below the general standard of the rest of the sch, I think he/she shd still be given the opportunity to be put together with "better" students to see if he/she can make it.

Please be mindful that in Sec Sch, Mother Tongue does not have as high a weightage as in Pri Sch. If your kids PSLE scores were dragged down by weak Mother Tongue but he/she is strong in other subjects, he/she still has a good chance of doing well in Sec Sch as Mother Tongue will only be one out of 8 or 9 subjects whereas in Pri Sch it is one out of 4 subjects. It makes a significant difference.

If your kid is very smart, then neighbourhood sch or branded sch, he/she will do well. You will have no worries. Being in a sch with affiliated Sec Sch gives you more choices for those "borderline" kids, not so poor and not so bright, so that they can still go to a "good" Sec Sch and be given a chance to improve/develop and mature.

Parent choosing the Primary School unavoidable for most but still can judge the child during K1, K2 to a certain extent.

Work Ethic (motivation), School Brand (peers) and Academic results (Aptitude) all play a part. Speak to the child is best by the time they hit P6...bring them to the short-listed sec schools is also good and then let them co-own the decision with some guidance...and let them be kids for whatever time they have!

just choose a decent pri sch for ur kid will do la....later on let them decide wat they want

they hf to be independent mah.....angmor oredi laughing at us....say we live in a capsule

Ang more just as kiasu as us. Only they don't make so much noise abt it. So says my friends in UK and Australia. Seems they are just as kiasu/kiasi as we are. In UK they are also fighting to buy property near to good schs. Yes you are living in a capsule if you think that we are so different from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Ang more just as kiasu as us. Only they don't make so much noise abt it. So says my friends in UK and Australia. Seems they are just as kiasu/kiasi as we are. In UK they are also fighting to buy property near to good schs. Yes you are living in a capsule if you think that we are so different from other countries.
    depends on ur frens bah....my frens not like dat in europe leh

subjective rite?

hardly hear angmor put kids into tuition classes etc...in europe, kids scored above 60...parents will encourage n say well done...but for asian family, its totally diff

i tink u really living in ur own capsule

jialat lah! no wonder i really feel smthing is very wrong after gg thru this GE......see the comments posted by the ynger generations....OMG

depends on ur frens bah....my frens not like dat in europe leh

subjective rite?

hardly hear angmor put kids into tuition classes etc...in europe, kids scored above 60...parents will encourage n say well done...but for asian family, its totally diff

i tink u really living in ur own capsule
    My friends in Australia (Perth) tell me that even for those in private sch will still send their kids for private tuition. I was suprised. I am just telling you not to assume that all ang mors are the same. There are some who are just as kiasu/kiasi as Singaporeans.

When I travelled to London, I saw banners for Kumon enrichment classes on the street of a suburb there.

My friends in Australia (Perth) tell me that even for those in private sch will still send their kids for private tuition. I was suprised. I am just telling you not to assume that all ang mors are the same. There are some who are just as kiasu/kiasi as Singaporeans.
    nvm la...u can continue to be kiasu/kiabo la....and continue to pick examples tat makes u feel u r normal

Its always better to be kiasu than to lose everything in the end... hahaha!!! so demonstrated by our lovely govt in all their policies...

Wink

That's why have to do parent volunteer lor.. sigh! There goes our sats for couple of weekends... The extend kiasu parents will go for their children... Getting the first one in would definitely go a long long way to ensure entry for the subsequent kids... hahaha!!! Investment mentality...
    Good luck! Heard for some even had to ballot <1km under phase 2b

Phase 2A is quite safe. Phase 2B might not be safe in some schs (might still need to ballot if you don't stay within 1km).

Did you try driving to the sch under real conditions (ie weekday during sch term at the time for going to sch). Driving via expressway doesn't sound too promising. Maybe you can consider moving closer (not within walking distance but within a comfortable bus ride distance (less than 10 stops).
    Hee hee, have not manage to wake up so early so only test-run after school at noon. But yes, we r considering moving nearer

Actually moving closer to a place near your kid's primary school is good coz its for 6 years... SSD will be over by then and can decide the next move when child is pri 5 or something...

Actually moving closer to a place near your kid's primary school is good coz its for 6 years... SSD will be over by then and can decide the next move when child is pri 5 or something...
    kids r treated like prince and princess now....hehe

kids r treated like prince and princess now....hehe
    But some parents are merely using kids to treat themselves like kings and queens...

Default agree

i agree. i chose affliated school cuz i scared my kid "borderline". So it may be true neighbourhood schools have better students cuz the parents know that there is not "safety net". Either they do well and go to a good school, or they don't.

Whereas for people like me, i literally scraped through my affliated schools all the way until uni.

Some kids are late developers (esp boys). Even if they don't perform well at PSLE, they can buck up at Sec Sch and do really well. You need to give yr kid the benefit of the doubt and more time to develop. SG sch system doesn't allow them time to develop and many kids at PSLE are still immature. Therefore being relegated to a "lousier" sch might not allow them to develop to their potential. There will be a lot of peer pressure at Sec Sch. Being in a class with better students gives them some motivation to do better. As long as the rest of the sch is not so greatly above the level of yr child that he gets left behind/demotivated. You have to gauge the ability of yr child on a case by case basis. If you think that your child is very much below the general standard of the affiliated sch, you still have the option to transfer them to a neighbourhood sch. But if he is only a little bit below the general standard of the rest of the sch, I think he/she shd still be given the opportunity to be put together with "better" students to see if he/she can make it.

Please be mindful that in Sec Sch, Mother Tongue does not have as high a weightage as in Pri Sch. If your kids PSLE scores were dragged down by weak Mother Tongue but he/she is strong in other subjects, he/she still has a good chance of doing well in Sec Sch as Mother Tongue will only be one out of 8 or 9 subjects whereas in Pri Sch it is one out of 4 subjects. It makes a significant difference.

If your kid is very smart, then neighbourhood sch or branded sch, he/she will do well. You will have no worries. Being in a sch with affiliated Sec Sch gives you more choices for those "borderline" kids, not so poor and not so bright, so that they can still go to a "good" Sec Sch and be given a chance to improve/develop and mature.

But some parents are merely using kids to treat themselves like kings and queens...
    for those using them for networking purposes?

Safer to go to school that's more than 70yrs.Ty
    i moved smwhr else oredi....heard old sch closed....haha
    but my lousy sec sch still ard! gangster alot last time...i tink now still alot there

Quote Originally Posted by TheIdler
    Hee hee, have not manage to wake up so early so only test-run after school at noon. But yes, we r considering moving nearer
    heehee you will be making the trip every week day for 6 years rain or shine (except fo sch holidays). So if you drive fr home to sch and back, one of you will have burned one hour or more of yr time per trip. And for the trip home, I did try to fetch the kid from sch to home for the first boy. I gave up after 2 weeks. The Q to get to the pick-up point was I signed him up for sch bus both ways.

heehee you will be making the trip every week day for 6 years rain or shine (except fo sch holidays). So if you drive fr home to sch and back, one of you will have burned one hour or more of yr time per trip. And for the trip home, I did try to fetch the kid from sch to home for the first boy. I gave up after 2 weeks. The Q to get to the pick-up point was I signed him up for sch bus both ways.
    Best is stay near enough to walk to sch.... save the headache on driving and even being on time for sch bus...

Funny how this thread's topic gradually morphed from creepy crawlies to rug rats

I lived in Europe for 20-something years and in Singapore for 11 years. You can't help but generalize a bit, but on the whole I reckon here in Singapore, parents put their kids through tuition classes more than in the west.

I remember having to go through private after-school classes myself, but that was because I was a slow-poke learner. Kids that are average or above average usually aren't put through private tuition, except by ultra-driven parents. (What you guys call kiasu :-))

The main difference is that there is less of a do-or-die accent on academic performance; in the west personal development, creative thinking, out-of-the-box problem-solving skills and being able to stand your ground, are all considered as important as academic scores. Hence the many extra-curricular activities.

It's probably a cultural thing, not sure, but I think the two schools of thought (excuse the pun) will probably converge more and more as time passes.

Hey Bryann,

can you tell me where your landed property was?

Quote Originally Posted by bryann
    I spent 4 years in a landed place and lived in a low-floor condo and a high-floor condo. The high-floor condo hardly had any pests; no roaches, no mozzies, no ants, no wasps and no cicaks.

Now I'm in a low floor, I get plenty of creepie-crawlies, although luckily my cickcak sentries are depleting stocks nicely

Our landed place was something else entirely. It was like a veritable zoo. We got regular fauna guests in the form of huge spiders, roaches galore, snakes, rats, wasps, centipedes, ants with stingers, you name it. One day we even had a bat flying around the room that couldn't find its way out.

So, yeah, landed can get a bit of a wilderness, unless you manicure the lawn and trim the hedges.

Still, never a dull moment eh