Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Landed troublesome?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    (1) Condo monthly maintenance fees usually have 20-40% going into sinking fund for future big ticket expenses, so they are not all spent, so can't compare this way vs landed monthly maintenance costs which are all expensed and usually people don't include big ticket items.

(2) Even just 1 snake can be deadly. Once every 10 years can mean 1 dead body every 10 years? Hope not but the real risk is there!
    "there isn't even much mosquitoes" but even 1 mosquito carrying dengue can be deadly to the young and the old.

(3) Even 1 lizard can be a nuisance. A group flying insects also.
    Termites even worse, some landed can't even get ride of them regardless of how many pest control experts have been called in, and you have no idea whether that landed will have or not.
    On the other hand, condo in the sky you will never hear of termite problem (at least I have no heard or see any case before all my life so far), nor lizards (never seen before so far), nor group of flying insects, nor mosquitoes.
    err.... snakes is not king cobra lah..... you EVER HEARD in singapore got people killed by snakes inside their homes???

My current place has ZERO mosquitoes. My in laws place have very little. Seriously, I have encountered more mosquitoes in my older condos/HDB. I think mosquitoes is an equal problem for both high rise and landed living. It all depends on you and your neighbours.

I included the big ticket items. My previous condo which is 13xx sq ft requries around $250 per month (which is pretty cheap). That is $3k a year and around $15k for 5 years.

Frankly, if the landed you are looking at is SMALL interterrace, the only EXTRA maintenance required for landed I can see is roofing repair, painting and pest control once every 5 years. And that will not cost $15k.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It has happened to condo near nature reserve with snake coming out of toilet bowl. Probably got into the sewage system.
    can't imagine that...what happy if during the mist of the process and you discover a snake below you butt..!

i think the shit ooz out from th emounth instead !!

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    can't imagine that...what happy if during the mist of the process and you discover a snake below you butt..!

i think the shit ooz out from th emounth instead !!

hahaha in the wee hours of the morning

sometimes i mistake mine as a one eyed snake

I remembered in one condo we stayed at previously, mgt didnt inform us when they fumigated the bin chute so we didnt tape it n we came back to find TONNES of xiao qiangs exploring the flat. Clean-up was a Horror!!

The other condos had suction chute n they also flush with water so no "sightings of cockroaches". But have flying ants n normal ants.

If you brickwall your landed, will it reduce pests?

Those of u who live in penthouse units, any pest/ lizard cockroach rats etc? What r the "problems" of PH units?

Quote Originally Posted by TheIdler
    I remembered in one condo we stayed at previously, mgt didnt inform us when they fumigated the bin chute so we didnt tape it n we came back to find TONNES of xiao qiangs exploring the flat. Clean-up was a Horror!!

The other condos had suction chute n they also flush with water so no "sightings of cockroaches". But have flying ants n normal ants.

If you brickwall your landed, will it reduce pests?

Those of u who live in penthouse units, any pest/ lizard cockroach rats etc? What r the "problems" of PH units?
    the open terrace of PH can be really dusty ...
    and regardless of height... one can always find lizards

It also depends where the place in Singapore. It is not just dust but sooty too.
    Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    the open terrace of PH can be really dusty ...
    and regardless of height... one can always find lizards

Wow, suddenly so much talk about landed, good! Price will move up some more.

I have mentioned in other thread. For me, peace of mind, have pest control contractor once every 2 mths to check and do what is necessary- my main concern is termites as most of my furniture are wood. Pest control also does cockroaches, etc control. Yearly roof check if no problem. Monthly gardener. Others on a need to do basis. Well, even if it cost more than condo, that's my preference.

I do not have problem with termites. Just need painting once every five years.
    Quote Originally Posted by land118
    Wow, suddenly so much talk about landed, good! Price will move up some more.

I have mentioned in other thread. For me, peace of mind, have pest control contractor once every 2 mths to check and do what is necessary- my main concern is termites as most of my furniture are wood. Pest control also does cockroaches, etc control. Yearly roof check if no problem. Monthly gardener. Others on a need to do basis. Well, even if it cost more than condo, that's my preference.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    I do not have problem with termites. Just need painting once every five years.
    Good for u! For me, just a piece of mind...,knowing my wood furniture as pest free...

i would like to ask those who are in favor of landed...

where in your opinion ... is a good location for landed living ...

Sentosa cove.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Sentosa cove.

sorry i forgot to state ... FH only

It has to be FH and in the central region with close proximity to mrt stn, schools, supermarket and eateries.
    i would like to ask those who are in favor of landed...

where in your opinion ... is a good location for landed living ...

Goto state budget n land size.....hehe

Best surely nassim....

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Goto state budget n land size.....hehe

Best surely nassim....
    Nassim GCB is definitely a class of its own. But how many can afford?

BTW, I am located behind Lucky Plaza. Its a 5 mins walk to Orchard Road.

Quote Originally Posted by bullman
    Nassim GCB is definitely a class of its own. But how many can afford?

BTW, I am located behind Lucky Plaza. Its a 5 mins walk to Orchard Road.
    U r oredi a class on ur own

R u related to pptyowner?

U surely look like playing monopoly

U r oredi a class on ur own

R u related to pptyowner?

U surely look like playing monopoly
    I grew up there and bought a IT there some years back after I got married. Back then, the land PSF there is about the same as D15 now. Its just getting really ridiculous now.

Not related to super rich pptyowner who owns 40+ ultra high end units. My units are mostly average units like KS, Coralis etc.

Isn't property investment = Monopoly? Trade in 4 green houses for a red hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    err.... snakes is not king cobra lah..... you EVER HEARD in singapore got people killed by snakes inside their homes???

Frankly, if the landed you are looking at is SMALL interterrace, the only EXTRA maintenance required for landed I can see is roofing repair, painting and pest control once every 5 years. And that will not cost $15k.
    Frankly, small interterrace don't give you the feel that you are staying in landed... very cramped... worse still neighbors are annoying. Furthermore, once contractor see u are staying in landed, they will raise the cost by 1.5 times. No joke... they are all in cahoot. Sickening. My parent's house just remove the internal false ceiling board to raise the ceiling at 2nd floor toilet (area not more than 10 sq meters, contractor charge them $2k. Removing false ceiling in HDB cost less than $500.

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Frankly, small interterrace don't give you the feel that you are staying in landed... very cramped... worse still neighbors are annoying. Furthermore, once contractor see u are staying in landed, they will raise the cost by 1.5 times. No joke... they are all in cahoot. Sickening. My parent's house just remove the internal false ceiling board to raise the ceiling at 2nd floor toilet (area not more than 10 sq meters, contractor charge them $2k. Removing false ceiling in HDB cost less than $500.
    aiya

the moment its not a HDB address .... the price is different ... same for condo ...not just landed ..

why painting a
    3 bedroom in condo cost more than a 3 bedroom HDB of the same size ?

6th ave area? But along main rd can be noisy...

Wat do u all tink of cluster hse? They hv mgt agt to take care, does dat mean it'll b fuss-free and pest-free?

Quote Originally Posted by TheIdler
    6th ave area? But along main rd can be noisy...

Wat do u all tink of cluster hse? They hv mgt agt to take care, does dat mean it'll b fuss-free and pest-free?
    i havent seen many clustered housing

i dont find them attractive or good value

becos they were created for foreigners who wants to stay landed but cannot buy landed ...

the land for each unit is usually very small ... smaller then inter terrace ..
    and to make up for the small land ..they tend to build 4-5 storey with basement parking ..

i dont like it at all

becos they were created for foreigners who wants to stay landed but cannot buy landed ...

and to make up for the small land ..they tend to build 4-5 storey with basement parking ..

i dont like it at all
    Hf seen decent sized floorplate for clustered housing like verdana villas

I hesitate for a while...den my unit gone liao

i dont like it at all
    The fun part is when you are at your car rushing to work, then you forgot to take something from the room in the 5th storey.. you won't want to go back le.. The most sickening thing about cluster housing is the tell you your land area is 4000sq so you guai guai pay $800 psf then realise 800 sq is on staircase. Only use for staircase is for you to work out...

Hf seen decent sized floorplate for clustered housing like verdana villas

I hesitate for a while...den my unit gone liao
    Verdana Villa really gives you the nice resort feel... one of the better cluster house but the psf is just too high... I can get cheaper options just 3 streets away... Just my opinion...

The fun part is when you are at your car rushing to work, then you forgot to take something from the room in the 5th storey.. you won't want to go back le.. The most sickening thing about cluster housing is the tell you your land area is 4000sq so you guai guai pay $800 psf then realise 800 sq is on staircase. Only use for staircase is for you to work out...

and the basement parking tend to be dark ... and hot ..

not to mention the rooms on the 3rd, 4th, 5th floor are hot ... and gets hotter as you go higher ... the heat gets channelled up as the unit is narrow ...

and the basement parking tend to be dark ... and hot ..

not to mention the rooms on the 3rd, 4th, 5th floor are hot ... and gets hotter as you go higher ... the heat gets channelled up as the unit is narrow ...
    Hot air rises!!! Its Physics... anyway, I'd prefer to have the top floor room as laundry room coz the balcony can hang clothes.... no where else in the house can accommodate wet clothes... . If put clothes out at living room patio, quite unsightly...

Verdana Villa really gives you the nice resort feel... one of the better cluster house but the psf is just too high... I can get cheaper options just 3 streets away... Just my opinion...
    The one i eyeing abt 630psf on built up....tat time in oct09 looks expensive definitely....now dirt cheap liao? Hehe

The one i eyeing abt 630psf on built up....tat time in oct09 looks expensive definitely....now dirt cheap liao? Hehe
    Gone are the days when cluster houses are 300+ psf... its just like as recent as 3 years back.. . Should have bought then... missed the boat le... hahaha!!! Now at $700 psf, it just don't make sense to pay those staircases at that price...

It all depends on the contractor you use. I have my own contractor who I have worked with twice (once 5 years back with my first home and second timer recently) She gives me reasonable rates as I have referred quite a few customers to her, ie colleagues, relatives who came to my place and asked for her contact.

Last month, I ask her to make a coffee table based on a design I see in Space, she made it as a gift for me.

Of course, if your reason for staying in landed is the big garden, open spaces, etc, then small inter-terrace is not for you.

My main aim is just to get more living space. Seriously, for the SAME price, I think I can only get HALF the living space if I went Condo. With double the living space, I can do a lot of things like a dedicated TV room, guest room, Home theatre room, laundry drying space, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    It all depends on the contractor you use. I have my own contractor who I have worked with twice (once 5 years back with my first home and second timer recently) She gives me reasonable rates as I have referred quite a few customers to her, ie colleagues, relatives who came to my place and asked for her contact.

Last month, I ask her to make a coffee table based on a design I see in Space, she made it as a gift for me.

Of course, if your reason for staying in landed is the big garden, open spaces, etc, then small inter-terrace is not for you.

My main aim is just to get more living space. Seriously, for the SAME price, I think I can only get HALF the living space if I went Condo. With double the living space, I can do a lot of things like a dedicated TV room, guest room, Home theatre room, laundry drying space, etc.
    true

i find it strange that there are people who would buy a semi D of land 2500 sqft ...

its not much bigger than a inter ... in fact some corner terrace are 3600 sqft land

semi d has to be at least 3600 sqft land to be 'far away' enuff from your neighbor ...

those 2500 sqft semis ... they open the side and build nice outdoor dinning .. only to have their neighbour's onning channelling the rain water onto their side ..

silly