Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Landed troublesome?

Default Landed troublesome?

Is it true that landed property has all sorts of pests/ insects/ rodents/ stray animals problems and is difficult to maintain? What other minuses in living landed property?

Pests - depends on your fumigation and surroundings
    Maintenance - depends on your architecture but you are largely responsible for everything within your piece of land (roof leaking, road outside porch cracking, vegetation dying, etc etc)
    You need to pay for every facility (alarm system and maintenance, swimming pool and maintenance, lift and maintenance etc)

Many cons, but of cause, many pros as well...never ending lah. Different strokes for different folks.

Really depends on the surrounding.. Neighbors, nearby food centre, etc.. Most of the buildup areas should be ok.. My place is bedok for example is very clean and has fewer pest that out last condo

Quote Originally Posted by TheIdler
    Is it true that landed property has all sorts of pests/ insects/ rodents/ stray animals problems and is difficult to maintain? What other minuses in living landed property?
    Is part of the experience for a landed pty..

If you stay near the nature reserve, you get monkey come to steal your bread and fruits.

you get cat trying to settle in your home once u feed him once.

and most of the sour relationship with your neighbor is usually due to car park issue

It has happened to condo near nature reserve with snake coming out of toilet bowl. Probably got into the sewage system.
    Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    Is part of the experience for a landed pty..

If you stay near the nature reserve, you get monkey come to steal your bread and fruits.

you get cat trying to settle in your home once u feed him once.

and most of the sour relationship with your neighbor is usually due to car park issue

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    It has happened to condo near nature reserve with snake coming out of toilet bowl. Probably got into the sewage system.

i have lived in brand new condos and brand new landed ..

i dont have any issues with my landed but the condo scare the crap out of me ...

roaches crawlng out of the rubbsih chute considering its a new condo

neither are new makan places ... in fact the house is next to a nature reserve ... i have seen monkeys on the trees but thats about it .... havent heard any of the neighbours complaining

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I have lived in new landed, old landed, old condo. Personally prefer high-floor condo after all these years. Too many problems with landed. The problem you have with new condo is definitely a low-floor unit. As a rule of thumb, never buy a condo unit below 15th floor if you want to go for condo and without all the problems with pests etc, also more cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner

i dont have any issues with my landed but the condo scare the crap out of me ...

neither are new makan places ... in fact the house is next to a nature reserve ... i have seen monkeys on the trees but thats about it .... havent heard any of the neighbours complaining

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I have lived in new landed, old landed, old condo. Personally prefer high-floor condo after all these years. Too many problems with landed. The problem you have with new condo is definitely a low-floor unit. As a rule of thumb, never buy a condo unit below 15th floor if you want to go for condo and without all the problems with pests etc, also more cooling.

you are wrong ..
    the new condo was on 16th floor ..highest only 22 floors

anyway the only issue i have with my landed ...well only happened once .. a huge spider came in ...no idea from where ...when i saw it ... it was on its way out hahhaha

Ops - May be that is an exception and could be due to poor design or poor cleaning and maintenance of the condo. I have never heard of 15th floor and above having coachroaches problem except yours.

you are wrong ..
    the new condo was on 16th floor ..highest only 22 floors

Ops - May be that is an exception and could be due to poor design or poor cleaning and maintenance of the condo. I have never heard of 15th floor and above having coachroaches problem except yours.
    i tell you it was really scary

we had a plastic broom with those plastic, coloring bristles, we used it to sweep water . it was left in the yard toilet ...

when i saw the big roaches i used that broom to whack the bog ones..

guess what ?

they laid babies in the bristles and when the broom landed as it whacked it ... 100s of baby roaches came out

i tell you i sprayed at least 2 cans of Baygon that night ...

as i sprayed i lifted the floor mat ..and more underneath ...

its really strange cos we used that yard toilet everyday .. and the last time we used it was only the night before.. when we even washed the toilet etc

so they must have come in ..laid and eggs ...and all these happened within 24 hrs ..

Wif new techonology, no more roaches la....nowadays using suction chute liao....furthermore, some projects using common chute instead....which i prefer

That is real scary!
    Such scary things usually more common in old landed. I have experienced snakes, scorpions, rats, all kinds of insects crawling into the house, flying into the house in landed. Well, I have not even talk about cockroaches, lizards, mosquitoes, flies which are a given in landed!

i tell you it was really scary

we had a plastic broom with those plastic, coloring bristles, we used it to sweep water . it was left in the yard toilet ...

when i saw the big roaches i used that broom to whack the bog ones..

guess what ?

they laid babies in the bristles and when the broom landed as it whacked it ... 100s of baby roaches came out

i tell you i sprayed at least 2 cans of Baygon that night ...

as i sprayed i lifted the floor mat ..and more underneath ...

its really strange cos we used that yard toilet everyday .. and the last time we used it was only the night before.. when we even washed the toilet etc

so they must have come in ..laid and eggs ...and all these happened within 24 hrs ..

New technology also got problems: those suction chute will be super noisy? What happen when malfunction?
    Common chute? Going backward in terms of conveniency and privacy? I still prefer the good old private chute with water-flushing system.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    Wif new techonology, no more roaches la....nowadays using suction chute liao....furthermore, some projects using common chute instead....which i prefer

New technology also got problems: those suction chute will be super noisy? What happen when malfunction?
    Common chute? Going backward in terms of conveniency and privacy? I still prefer the good old private chute with water-flushing system.
    my biggest fear of landed is termites

when i constructed my house .. the land was treated ... to prevent termites .. i think it carries a guarantee of 10 yrs ...

any idea how the treatment works in prevent termites ?

Ya la...ur condo best of the best

Any condos >2 years old also mostly using private rubbish chute with water-flushing system. Why you new condo so lousy because don't have? Oh, I forgot your new ones still need to pay for 10% balcony space and another almost 10% air-con ledge & planters space?

Ya la...ur condo best of the best

Any condos >2 years old also mostly using private rubbish chute with water-flushing system. Why you new condo so lousy because don't have? Oh, I forgot your new ones still need to pay for 10% balcony space and another almost 10% air-con ledge & planters space?
    Come to tink abt it, no projects wif suction chute TOP yet la

Duno le, u go n calculate 8woodleigh, waterbank, clift usable space lor....those r my newest...

Is vacuum chute from CDL project?

Duno le, u go n calculate 8woodleigh, waterbank, clift usable space lor....those r my newest...

Botannia sucks! Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by TheIdler
    I think maintenance is really not a lot in terms of money.

My parents, my in laws and us stay in three different landed property in the north.

The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees. Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

As for pests/strays/rodents, etc.... I think it depends on the property itself.

My parents place the biggest pest is iguana but they only moved in for less than a year.

My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

I think probably termites is the biggest concern due to the damage they can cause.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

My parents, my in laws and us stay in three different landed property in the north.

The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees. Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

My parents place the biggest pest is iguana but they only moved in for less than a year.

My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

I think probably termites is the biggest concern due to the damage they can cause.
    i asked earlier but no replies

any idea how the termite treatment is done and how does it work ?

(1) Condo monthly maintenance fees usually have 20-40% going into sinking fund for future big ticket expenses, so they are not all spent, so can't compare this way vs landed monthly maintenance costs which are all expensed and usually people don't include big ticket items.

(2) Even just 1 snake can be deadly. Once every 10 years can mean 1 dead body every 10 years? Hope not but the real risk is there!
    "there isn't even much mosquitoes" but even 1 mosquito carrying dengue can be deadly to the young and the old.

(3) Even 1 lizard can be a nuisance. A group flying insects also.
    Termites even worse, some landed can't even get ride of them regardless of how many pest control experts have been called in, and you have no idea whether that landed will have or not.
    On the other hand, condo in the sky you will never hear of termite problem (at least I have no heard or see any case before all my life so far), nor lizards (never seen before so far), nor group of flying insects, nor mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30

[B](1) The maintenance is much cheaper than condo actually since you don't have to pay the monthly maintenance fees.[/B] Even over the long run it is cheaper for all three properties. I never understand why people think landed is more expensive to maintain.

(2) My in laws place has seen snakes and they have stayed there for around 20 years. But the snakes is around maybe once every 10 years. Rest of the time, there isn't even much mosquitoes. Maybe the fact that our Health minister living behind their unit helps with the pest control.

(3) I have been living in my place for around 1 year and the biggest thing I have seen is lizard. During certain nights (after a rain), we attract a lot of flying insects so we have to keep the window closed. Our property has a history of termites. But when we bought it over, we called in rentokil and they said there is no termites but we treated the land just to be sure.

(1) Condo monthly maintenance fees usually have 20-40% going into sinking fund for future big ticket expenses, so they are not all spent, so can't compare this way vs landed monthly maintenance costs which are all expensed and usually people don't include big ticket items.

(2) Even just 1 snake can be deadly. Once every 10 years can mean 1 dead body every 10 years? Hope not but the real risk is there!
    "there isn't even much mosquitoes" but even 1 mosquito carrying dengue can be deadly to the young and the old.

(3) Even 1 lizard can be a nuisance. A group flying insects also.
    Termites even worse, some landed can't even get ride of them regardless of how many pest control experts have been called in, and you have no idea whether that landed will have or not.
    On the other hand, condo in the sky you will never hear of termite problem (at least I have no heard or see any case before all my life so far), nor lizards (never seen before so far), nor group of flying insects, nor mosquitoes.

i know u mentioned before ... about being above 15th floor to be ideal

my friend staying at One North .. decently new ... 10th floor ...got mozzy and lizards leh...

all it takes is a married pair of lizrds ..to move from ground flr to 2nd floor ...mate and lay some eggs ...then their family upgrade from the 2nd fllor (now becomes ground flr) to 4th-5th floor ....and in no time ... they appear in 10th ...and 15th floor

there is no way you can stop them .. unless you shut all your windows and doors....even then there are gaps ...

these lizs are like us ... love condo viewings ... they will look for GEMS to upgrade ....

Funny
    Nevertheless, 15th floor and above usually quite safe lah.

i know u mentioned before ... about being above 15th floor to be ideal

my friend staying at One North .. decently new ... 10th floor ...got mozzy and lizards leh...

all it takes is a married pair of lizrds ..to move from ground flr to 2nd floor ...mate and lay some eggs ...then their family upgrade from the 2nd fllor (now becomes ground flr) to 4th-5th floor ....and in no time ... they appear in 10th ...and 15th floor

there is no way you can stop them .. unless you shut all your windows and doors....even then there are gaps ...

these lizs are like us ... love condo viewings ... they will look for GEMS to upgrade ....

Landed nid maid ....unless u n ur wife become slave to ur hse

Bigger landed perhaps nid 2 maids instead

Same as car...some jus love to wash n upkeep their cars like 2nd wife....hehe....to me car shd be a slave for us....not the other way

Funny
    Nevertheless, 15th floor and above usually quite safe lah.
    Lizards can be found on 20+ storey....same as ants too.....mozzies lesser lor....

Those common pests no big deal la....i scare of hornet, snakes, centipede n scorpion though

Lizards can be found on 20+ storey....same as ants too.....mozzies lesser lor....

Those common pests no big deal la....i scare of hornet, snakes, centipede n scorpion though

hornets , snakes, scorpions and centipede are pretty rare ...

i understand your concern

i hate ANTS the most ....

thats one reason i like NY ...no ants ... the winter will kill them all ...

hornets , snakes, scorpions and centipede are pretty rare ...

i understand your concern

i hate ANTS the most ....

thats one reason i like NY ...no ants ... the winter will kill them all ...
    Ya lor...weather is terrible in sg...humid, hot, rain

Boring aso....no winter....lol

Ya lor...weather is terrible in sg...humid, hot, rain

Boring aso....no winter....lol
    actually ..if singapore weather is 20-25 deg ... it will be a very nice place to live ...

i tell you the weather does affect the mood...

imagine you are a bus driver or a taxi driver ..
    when its cooling .. you also feel good

when its freaking hot ... and the passengers take a long time to board or get off the bus .. you get frustrated easily

i see drivers in NY ...getting off the bus to help passengers get on and off ... cool