Thread: 5th University in the North

Default 5th University in the North

I know this is wide idea, but can we have the 5th University in the North? Somewhere around the huge empty land near Sambangwang, facing the sea.

I will start with some justifications:

1) North has many low income old people, the University can specialize in low-cost elder care research. Technology should be used to lower the cost of health care, but we need to invest to train the people and invent the stuff.

2) North has a very long coastal line, the University can specialize in "green research": to keep a nice tropical biodiversity inside a city, and port that into a town, a building complex.

3) Vertical farming. Maybe one day we don't trust the food from China, the pork from Malaysia. ... or simply we can just find a way to produce quality food cheaper. I still find we are wasting majority of the energy from the hot Sun.

I am opening up for the forum to throw in other wide ideas. We don't want another duplication of universities, we want a university with its own frontier research for the next century: research focusing on how to give people happy life, not on how to make useless paper money.

Thanks,
    Richard
    Disclosure of potential conflict of interests: I was a university lecturer and now stay in North.

The 4th uni oredi took so long to materalise

The north can have another town.

The expressway must be up first before new additions or else, traffic nightmare.

Why do we need so many universities? Maybe we can have another airport also?

how about pollution from JB?
    You think will adversely affect their brain health and thus have lower quality graduates? maybe that's why NTU students are lousier than NUS students, because of pollution from Jurong.
    ps: i am NTU grad myself. Hence I blame pollution for my pass with merit degree .

Pollution everywhere lah.

Degree to start the ball rolling, be in a bigger debt. You seriously dun need that right?

Vertical farming will be interesting. keeps the greenery intact for the north.

Plots beside bottle tree should be exotic fish farms

Becos NTU stands for Not Too Unusual.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful
    how about pollution from JB?
    You think will adversely affect their brain health and thus have lower quality graduates? maybe that's why NTU students are lousier than NUS students, because of pollution from Jurong.
    ps: i am NTU grad myself. Hence I blame pollution for my pass with merit degree .

Classic ninja turtle university

actually I think a business park similar to what they have in the west and east would be nice.

I think the government will do that sooner or later and the question is where they will put it.

Now all North have for jobs is some wafer fabs and the new aerospace park.

I live near YCK MRT so I hope they will develop the AMK industrial park there into something bigger. There is quite a few empty plots of land lying around there.

The area is also very central and is close proximity to Yishun, AMK, Bishan, Sengkang, woodlands. People commuting from these regions to a business park in the north need not use the congested CTE stretch after Braddel and should help with our transportation woes.

The government knows this and they mentioned in a recent URA masterplan, that the west has too many jobs and too little house while the north is reversed. I think they will correct this imbalance.

If u look at master plan, a new link road running parallel along the reservoir is drawn. It goes through the land behind ite and the Yishun firestation. A new BP is good but I think flatted factories is more likely. the MRT line is likely to run above it.

Same feel for that area. I think a business park will take place instead of flatted factories. If Yishun is to be a hub, I doubt they will risk making the empty lands you mentioned into factories. Plus, the future Simpang MRT station combined with the distant future round island MRT line is likely to route through the area. Just look at International Business Park, Changi Business Park, Tampines Biz Park, these are all near to Jurong East, Tampines hubs. Factories will probably be established at Senoko, Woodlands, Admiralty Road West areas, supported by NSE.

Since alot of China Chinese buying up Northern Singapore, the new BP might be Chinese MNCs. I can't think of other Western MNCs as they already have some form of offices in Singapore.