Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much advance buying distorts true demand

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Too much advance buying distorts true demand

http://www.todayonline.com/Business/...ts-true-demand

Too much advance buying distorts true demand

by Colin Tan

04:46 AM May 13, 2011

I have always advised potential new home owners or genuine upgraders that their main motivation to buy a property should be based on need and not greed.

Buying in advance slightly ahead or delaying a purchase for a short period of time is alright but not when it is too far from the period of need.

Buying ahead may mean getting married earlier than planned - when there are still issues to be resolved.

At the other end, in delaying a purchase, there may be opportunity costs that are not quantifiable, such as having children, privacy and shorter commuting times.

It was therefore quite worrying that, despite a significant ramping up of Build-To-Order (BTO) launches over the past several quarters to reach new highs in recent years, the demand for new HDB flats has remained as strong as ever.

We continue to read news reports of this or that BTO project being oversubscribed several times. We are told that a significant number are repeat applicants - households that have failed to secure a flat in earlier launches. However, what is disquieting is that there appears to be no discernible trend to show that the underlying subscription rate has come down in any significant way.

Even if the public housing authorities have seriously underestimated demand in previous years, it is inconceivable to think that all this new demand - at multiples of average demand five to six years ago - is simply pent-up demand.

Basic economic theory tells us that when prices go up, demand falls. Yet, in our current situation, more are buying as prices head upwards. The only explanation is that quite a significant proportion of this demand is advance buying - from households who do not anticipate that they need their flats in the short term but are applying to buy now before prices go even higher. The greater the panic, the higher the proportion of advance buying.

Some of us simply cannot understand the panic felt by young couples, especially since the Government has made it clear both by words and deeds that they will increase the number of BTOs if there is demand.

Take a hypothetical young couple who are not even remotely contemplating marriage. But because of advice from other couples and their peers, they apply to buy in advance, just to be on the safe side. They may not worry if their first two applications are rejected. But with the third rejection, they start to feel anxious.

And because they have been monitoring the market closely, they can see prices climbing with each new BTO. When they are rejected the third and fourth time, panic sets in.

Such "panicky" couples are a walking advertisement to all other couples to buy now rather than later. And so the proportion of advance buying snowballs with more of such couples. The news spreads fast among their friends and, as we know, bad news spreads even more quickly. Many young people have told me that even their parents are urging them to apply without delay.

Common sense tells us that we cannot have too high a proportion of advance buying because there will be severe market repercussions down the road, some of which can be pretty unpleasant.

Too much advance buying leaves too little demand in future years. Too much building at about the same time also stretches the capacity of the construction sector and leads to high demand for materials and resources, in turn leading to higher prices. After these units are completed and the minimum five-year occupation period reached, the pool of resale flats will balloon, leading to sharp falls in prices.

To arrest or quell this panic buying, the authorities should consider launching even more BTO projects, maybe twice or even triple the current number, at the same time.

Alternatively, if there are insufficient manpower resources to prepare for so many BTOs to be launched together, the authorities could impose a temporary price freeze - of maybe a year or two. This way, those who are not in urgent need can wait right up to the end of this grace period before applying. This would immediately calm and remove most of the advance buying in the market, leaving just the true current demand.

Like any inflation scourge, this bout of panic buying needs to be stopped quickly before it grows and spirals out of control.

Colin Tan is head, research and consultancy, at Chesterton Suntec International.

I take it that this guy is talking cock. How can buying hdb flats now distort future demand when the govt is the one controlling the release of new flat supplies? If there is anyone distorting the market, it is hdb appointed valuers and hdb themselves. Hdb did not supply more flats when needed, and when demand softens, so many new flats are churned out

This guy is a disgrace to his company[/LIST]

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    I take it that this guy is talking cock. How can buying hdb flats now distort future demand when the govt is the one controlling the release of new flat supplies? If there is anyone distorting the market, it is hdb appointed valuers and hdb themselves. Hdb did not supply more flats when needed, and when demand softens, so many new flats are churned out

Also, the hdb should work alongside with immigration and statistics department to ensure sufficient supply for singaporeans and prs in those crucial years, but did they?

Also, the hdb should work alongside with immigration and statistics department to ensure sufficient supply for singaporeans and prs in those crucial years, but did they?
    Re-active vs pro-active.....

u should not have been surprised at an article like this, if you had followed all his earlier "research" reports.

Colin Tan is the most vocal bearish analyst. He had been saying the pty market should go down ever since 2009.

At first he was very sure and confident. Listing all the factors and signs and said this is a bubble. Since 2009. Rate will go up. Income is not going up. Hot money will retreat. No buyer will bite. etc. etc. The market will crash.

Of course it did not happen. Later along late 2010/early 2011 when he saw the market is not going down, his tune changed. His comments are getting confusing/self contradicting. "I dun understand why the market is going up".

Now his latest discovery: yes now I understand why it's not going down. "too much advance buying distorts the market" He's now blaming these buyers for the market not going to what he "predicted".

He's just an analyst who refuses to admit he does not understand the current market.

HDB not build for singaporeans only meh? since when build for PR? PR can buy from resale issnt it, issnt that good enough? y should we allocate resources to take care of PR? They want to enjoy benefits should convert to Singaporean and contribute to the nation ba.

OPPS hope i didnt offend any PRs...

private developer should work with Immigration and statistics issnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    HDB not build for singaporeans only meh? since when build for PR? PR can buy from resale issnt it, issnt that good enough? y should we allocate resources to take care of PR? They want to enjoy benefits should convert to Singaporean and contribute to the nation ba.

OPPS hope i didnt offend any PRs...

private developer should work with Immigration and statistics issnt it?

Not only HDB flats, look at some of the land parcels being released to private developers. There was a prime piece in Bishan near to Junction 8 which was won by Capitaland not too long ago. Could it have been slated to build HDB flats for singaporeans?.....$$$$$$$ speaks louder dude....

Quote Originally Posted by proper-t
    Not only HDB flats, look at some of the land parcels being released to private developers. There was a prime piece in Bishan near to Junction 8 which was won by Capitaland not too long ago. Could it have been slated to build HDB flats for singaporeans?.....$$$$$$$ speaks louder dude....
    there are many prime prime land with HDB ah..... recently i just visited the HDB 40 storey on top of 5 stories of shopping center. Come down is MRT/aircon bus terminal, old school shops + hawker center. There also tons of top location HDB for singaporeans like Queens(stratmore), Tiong bahru/Kim Tian, Duxton and many more ma. Farrer Road also got HDB. Its just 1 piece of land for suckers to pay record price, y u unhappy?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    u should not have been surprised at an article like this, if you had followed all his earlier "research" reports.

Colin Tan is the most vocal bearish analyst. He had been saying the pty market should go down ever since 2009.

At first he was very sure and confident. Listing all the factors and signs and said this is a bubble. Since 2009. Rate will go up. Income is not going up. Hot money will retreat. No buyer will bite. etc. etc. The market will crash.

Of course it did not happen. Later along late 2010/early 2011 when he saw the market is not going down, his tune changed. His comments are getting confusing/self contradicting. "I dun understand why the market is going up".

Now his latest discovery: yes now I understand why it's not going down. "too much advance buying distorts the market" He's now blaming these buyers for the market not going to what he "predicted".

He's just an analyst who refuses to admit he does not understand the current market.
    Good analysis... bravo... good to know the background...

Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Good analysis... bravo... good to know the background...
    sooner or later he will be proven right and he can claim he predicted it since 2009

This kind of quality can also.be head of research? I can be ceo of his firm anytime

the guy writes without wisdom; no knowledge of economic theories and psychology ...

The writer is no longer young, so he doesn't understand the fear of new couples. It is always better book first before prices sprial up again or HDB sets up new barriers to distort the chance of getting the HDB flat.

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    The writer is no longer young, so he doesn't understand the fear of new couples. It is always better book first before prices sprial up again or HDB sets up new barriers to distort the chance of getting the HDB flat.
    In 2 sentences, you should be head, research and consultancy, at Chesterton Suntec International.

The worse part is it is not just research guys talking cock, even people at the top like ministers also don't know what is going on. I think anyone of us as qualified as mbt to be minister for mnd
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    In 2 sentences, you should be head, research and consultancy, at Chesterton Suntec International.

Why is he still on the job since his predictions are bad? Strange.

In the corporate world, sometimes people survive because they are good at licking boots and carrying balls, not because they got any real substance. My friend working in a commercial bank told me to get to the elite group in the front office, connections is more important than credentials sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rattydrama
    Why is he still on the job since his predictions are bad? Strange.

In the corporate world, sometimes people survive because they are good at licking boots and carrying balls, not because they got any real substance. My friend working in a commercial bank told me to get to the elite group in the front office, connections is more important than credentials sometimes.
    boots licking is a powerful skills. too bad I fail to realise during my younger age. Luckily no need to boot lick very hard now wif property investment.

this forum should be a good forum for his bosses to visit.

Actually he talks sense and should be right. However, he under estimated the manipulative powers of the developers. It is a game and hide and seek. U hide something, I seek to do something.

Hahahaha, now things cannot be hidden, so developers seek to OFFLOAD quickly...

So many advertisements lately, all rushing for what? Before the river run dry?

Bootlicking is indeed an art form of the highest order and nobody does it better than the people in the grassroots. I was never the bootlicking sort that is why the corporate world doesn't suit me lol. Another high level art form is corporate taichi, ie passing the bug to others without creating negative feelings in others
    boots licking is a powerful skills. too bad I fail to realise during my younger age. Luckily no need to boot lick very hard now wif property investment.

this forum should be a good forum for his bosses to visit.

Bootlicking is indeed an art form of the highest order and nobody does it better than the people in the grassroots. I was never the bootlicking sort that is why the corporate world doesn't suit me lol. Another high level art form is corporate taichi, ie passing the bug to others without creating negative feelings in others
    and you do all the dirty/difficult jobs still din get promoted or recognised because your boss knows that you are too good and din want to part with you.

actually i find that the younger generations generally are better in boot licking, I have seen it with my own eyes.

Haha I never intended to get promoted anyway coz I did not see much of a future working for people, I was working to save up to start my own business. While people were busy with their reports, I was busy thinking of location and strategy for my business venture. I had a totally different mindset from my colleagues coz I know I can never get financial freedom working for others
    and you do all the dirty/difficult jobs still din get promoted or recognised because your boss knows that you are too good and din want to part with you.

actually i find that the younger generations generally are better in boot licking, I have seen it with my own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong1984
    Actually he talks sense and should be right. However, he under estimated the manipulative powers of the developers. It is a game and hide and seek. U hide something, I seek to do something.

Hahahaha, now things cannot be hidden, so developers seek to OFFLOAD quickly...

So many advertisements lately, all rushing for what? Before the river run dry?
    But the problem is created by MBT's policy, so colin only see the problem when it comes but did not analysis why populations are doing it.

so his article, on surface seems right, but that is not the root of the issue.

probably he got to understand why people behave in this manner before he writes and distort the issue.

People rushing to buy their first home are mostly buying out of fear, not greed. He's gotten it wrong. Those who rush to buy their subsequent investment properties could be buying out of greed.

Good point.

I dun always agree with him.

Anyway, the conclusion is always correct, what goes up must come down. Just when. He will be right in no time but he has been wrong till now.

Haha I never intended to get promoted anyway coz I did not see much of a future working for people, I was working to save up to start my own business. While people were busy with their reports, I was busy thinking of location and strategy for my business venture. I had a totally different mindset from my colleagues coz I know I can never get financial freedom working for others
    i am waiting to be fired to start my 2nd career. lol.. sometimes letting go is not easy.

Not sure what do you mean by "greed"? One put money in bank to grow their money to beat inflation. Some people buy property to grow their wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by kane
    People rushing to buy their first home are mostly buying out of fear, not greed. He's gotten it wrong. Those who rush to buy their subsequent investment properties could be buying out of greed.

It also depends how much you get paid, if you are paid $20k a month in your current job, hard to call it quits but if your pay is $5k or less, much easier to make the decision. It also depends on how confident you are in your business venture. I know some professionals who quit high paying jobs to set up eateries and they do well. Thai Express ceo only 35 but sold his biz for a cool $80 mil.
    i am waiting to be fired to start my 2nd career. lol.. sometimes letting go is not easy.

It also depends how much you get paid, if you are paid $20k a month in your current job, hard to call it quits but if your pay is $5k or less, much easier to make the decision. It also depends on how confident you are in your business venture. I know some professionals who quit high paying jobs to set up eateries and they do well. Thai Express ceo only 35 but sold his biz for a cool $80 mil.
    for a reported successful business venture, there sure to have alot of unreported fail venture ..... sad to be in their shoes....
    alot of hard work but luck is also an alement. Plus personality counts. must be chiong type cos... alot of energy needed for start up.....

Maybe property investment still quite safe cos there are rental buffer and propertism believers.