Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you choose which condo?

Default How do you choose which condo?

Dear Forum members,

Hello. I am hoping you could please help me out. I am not a real estate agent but am doing some research into how and why people choose which projects to invest in. It is a personal project.

So what I would like to know is, aside from the obvious considerations of location and price, what else are you looking for?

A wonderful place for your children to grow up?
    A project from a developer who has a great reputation?
    A sustainable building that helps preserve the environment?
    Design innovations?
    A developer who you know puts money back into the local community?
    A building that is designed for the future?
    A development that you are sure will increase in value?
    A property that reflects your personality and success?
    Anything else at all - no matter how small would be very helpful to me.

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.

Hi lambchop, you can find a thousand and one reasons if you have the time to look through the thousands of postings in this forum from the time this forum started. Enjoy your read.

Thank you and indeed I have been doing this. Just thought some posters might find it interesting to share some of the less obvious reasons. It is also a good opportunity for us all to reflect on what it is that makes a purchase special. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by lambchop
    Dear Forum members,

Hello. I am hoping you could please help me out. I am not a real estate agent but am doing some research into how and why people choose which projects to invest in. It is a personal project.

So what I would like to know is, aside from the obvious considerations of location and price, what else are you looking for?

Design innovations?

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.
    Just visit the showflats and get the agents to tell you.

Stay near kids' school and parents' place? Maybe!

How about staying in a place where you have feelings and memories? A place where you feel at home.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    How about staying in a place where you have feelings and memories? A place where you feel at home.
    that means apple doesnt fall far from the tree

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Most applicable for older folks. Youths today don't give a 2nd thought over nostalgia and memories... well at least with those I come across! Sigh not because of these youths but because I feel so old to talk like that!

1) Proximity to MRT, amenities
    2) Pricing, affordability
    3) Freehold? I guess this is not so important.
    4) tranquility ? usually it goes against point 1)
    5) Near to good schools
    6) Near to parents
    7) Near to workplace
    8) Layout
    9) Facing
    10) Fav developer?

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Fudou
    1) Proximity to MRT, amenities
    2) Pricing, affordability
    3) Freehold? I guess this is not so important.
    4) tranquility ? usually it goes against point 1)
    5) Near to good schools
    6) Near to parents
    7) Near to workplace
    8) Layout
    9) Facing
    10) Fav developer?
    Neat!!!

near parents

Typically, house is the biggest investment.
    I will go for potential capital appreciation.

really depends on which stage of life you are in...

Quote Originally Posted by ymgsterling
    Typically, house is the biggest investment.
    I will go for potential capital appreciation.
    That's great to know.
    How to measure the potential capital appreciation? if cannot get absolute values, how to compare relative potential capital apprecation between projects.
    let me kowtow first at the feet of the master.

1) Near the pub
    2) Near the pub
    3) Near the pub

I prefer bigger project with gardens, swimming pool, tennis court etc than those apartment type.

Smile Stay in an OPPOSITION WARD (Potong Pasir )

For a few years before April 9 2006, my wife and I (plus my kids) have been driving island-wide, look see look see, literally visited many hundreds of show flats, show rooms and many finished projects .. yet never buy. Don't know why ???

When my wife told me about this brand new FH Condo with full-facilities along Leicester Rd just 100 metre from Potong Pasir MRT. I drove there immediately to the showroom as usual with my Kids the second week after the soft launch.

Yes and without much hesitation, I signed the dotted line on OTP for a new FH Condo along Leicester Rd after choosing my desired unit and the top floor too.
    I was lucky then, as It was the second week after soft launch and there was plenty of units to choose ... 2 weeks later I was attending the election rally speeches by Mr Chaim See Tong in early May 2006.. I was damn happy then. Of course then the much healthy Mr Chaim returned Victorious beating his PAP rival by a much improved 55% margin despite that $80M upgrading carrot.

I moved into my Condo in 2008 and lim kopy with Mr CST one week end in Potong Pasir coffee shop. No doubt, we may have lost the 2011 GE by a mere 114 votes. I am still very happy and much inspired by Mr Chaim See Tong ...

Potong Pasir is simply just My kind of Town

Hopefully Potong Pasir will remain that way for years to come. I do agree that it got that close knitted community charm.

Default let me help you out

Hi Lambchop,let me help you out

based on what you listed for me it is:
    A wonderful place for your children to grow up

besides those you listed, the top 3 are:
    1) high ceiling
    2) view
    3) district 1 - 10

Quote Originally Posted by lambchop
    Dear Forum members,

Design innovations?

Thanks in advance.

Lambchop.

Ranking of criteria will change depending on whether own stay or for investment.

a. potential of capital gain
    b. Location
    c. mrt stn
    d.size (investment: 2bedrm between 900 and 1100sqft)
    e. school (rank 3 for own stay)

you are trying to quantify the unquantifiable. It's like trying to list all the qualities you're trying to find in your spouse, and end up marrying the direct opposite....

If there's a property you fall in love with, all your factors will be thrown out of the window. Go with your gut.

That's if you're buying to stay....

If you're buying for investment... that's where you need to be rational.... harder said than done though.

Quote Originally Posted by alamak
    For a few years before April 9 2006, my wife and I (plus my kids) have been driving island-wide, look see look see, literally visited many hundreds of show flats, show rooms and many finished projects .. yet never buy. Don't know why ???

When my wife told me about this brand new FH Condo with full-facilities along Leicester Rd just 100 metre from Potong Pasir MRT. I drove there immediately to the showroom as usual with my Kids the second week after the soft launch.

Yes and without much hesitation, I signed the dotted line on OTP for a new FH Condo along Leicester Rd after choosing my desired unit and the top floor too.
    I was lucky then, as It was the second week after soft launch and there was plenty of units to choose ... 2 weeks later I was attending the election rally speeches by Mr Chaim See Tong in early May 2006.. I was damn happy then. Of course then the much healthy Mr Chaim returned Victorious beating his PAP rival by a much improved 55% margin despite that $80M upgrading carrot.

I moved into my Condo in 2008 and lim kopy with Mr CST one week end in Potong Pasir coffee shop. No doubt, we may have lost the 2011 GE by a mere 114 votes. I am still very happy and much inspired by Mr Chaim See Tong ...

Potong Pasir is simply just My kind of Town
    Alamak,

Thanks to your lucky Chaim (charm), Potong Pasir is indeed a GREAT PLACE and Strategic location ...at fringe of CBD ..4 MRT stops on NE LIne to Dhobby Ghaut ...PIE/CTE/KPE n 2 stops to CCL .. Indeed just great ... your PSF from $6xx to $1,1XX oredi ..

I own a unit there too ! This election really teaches me a lot about Potong Pasirian .. For 27 long years outsiders thot these people are nut , Potong Pasir a slump but it is not at all .. Why these folks simply refuse to bulge ? Why the great petition after the small loss? There is a great people pride and spirit .. patriotism and about humility/ kampung spirit where no $$$ and carrots can buy .. I don't stay there now but I intend to move there just before election 2016 to be part of this great people spirit ...

The Chaim spirit touches me more than anything esle ... NO wonder People all over the island flock there .. just to feel the place and the charm ..

No wonder No one want to sell their HDB or their Condo in Potong Pasir....

Yes, Potong Pasir is also just My kind of Town after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by matadorepy
    Alamak,

Thanks to your lucky Chaim (charm), Potong Pasir is indeed a GREAT PLACE and Strategic location ...at fringe of CBD ..4 MRT stops on NE LIne to Dhobby Ghaut ...PIE/CTE/KPE n 2 stops to CCL .. Indeed just great ... your PSF from $6xx to $1,1XX oredi ..

I own a unit there too ! This election really teaches me a lot about Potong Pasirian .. For 27 long years outsiders thot these people are nut , Potong Pasir a slump but it is not at all .. Why these folks simply refuse to bulge ? Why the great petition after the small loss? There is a great people pride and spirit .. patriotism and about humility/ kampung spirit where no $$$ and carrots can buy .. I don't stay there now but I intend to move there just before election 2016 to be part of this great people spirit ...

The Chaim spirit touches me more than anything esle ... NO wonder People all over the island flock there .. just to feel the place and the charm ..

No wonder No one want to sell their HDB or their Condo in Potong Pasir....

Yes, Potong Pasir is also just My kind of Town after all these years
    Bravo but the psf is slowly climbing beyond reach by many people le! Btw, next election PP may be split up to join GRC le... hahaha! Unpleasant strategy but absolutely possible!

away from town
    away from MRT
    away from crowd
    on elevated grounds
    no noise no pollution

Near schools.
    Near shopping malls
    Near eateries
    Near wet market
    Can afford the price
    Love the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by urban
    Near schools.
    Near shopping malls
    Near eateries
    Near wet market
    Can afford the price
    Love the environment.
    When people start to talk like that, you know its near to bed time!!!

Don't you have a set of pre-selection criteria before even going to view the place (resale) or showflat (new)? It is the unit facing, layout, condition, etc that will help you to make the final decision. Otherwise, window shopping can be very dangerous as one may sign the cheque due to pressure from the crowd especially in the showflat.
    Quote Originally Posted by sh
    you are trying to quantify the unquantifiable. It's like trying to list all the qualities you're trying to find in your spouse, and end up marrying the direct opposite....

If there's a property you fall in love with, all your factors will be thrown out of the window. Go with your gut.

That's if you're buying to stay....

If you're buying for investment... that's where you need to be rational.... harder said than done though.

well... usually the budget is the dominant pre-condition..... Find the best unit you can afford....

Thank you all so much for your responses. And yes, I am sorry - I know this is very hard to quantify but the answers have been very helpful.

Please keep them coming

From the guru:

Top two motivation factors in purchase of property are price and location. Potential capital appreciation is the third most important factor but it has reduced in importance from 31% in Q4 to 22% in Q1.